Oct 25, 2017
lol true. shout out to Gaf Zombie's great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter. I was on the same internet forum as your great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaddy. We talked about you, and wished you well.
In 500 years if this forum still exists it will still be filled with people refusing to bathe or poop properly

Oct 26, 2017
Being remembered at all is a human privilege to begin with. To be remembered after the lifetime of one's closest people requires some kind of documentation. Even putting up a gravestone is beyond most creatures.

Also, everyone makes some kind of footprint. If you're a builder, there will be buildings you helped make. If you're a teacher, there will be thousands of kids you educated. Even if you don't work, if you're sick and being taken care of, your existence might mean that your caretaker was in the right place at the right time to change their life. I absolutely don't think there's a grand plan to all this, but it's fascinating enough that anything can affect anything else.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World will be dealing with massive pollution and climate change. I think people will have bigger issues to deal with than remembering Grandpa Joe.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care because I'm dead. I'm moving on. Making an impact on those around me I would care by doing good

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
No, it took some time to wrap my head around the fact that I'm not special. I'll also not have any offspring. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just try to be the best person I can be and surround myself with love. The people I directly interact with will remember me and I'm ok with that.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In 500 years if this forum still exists it will still be filled with people refusing to bathe or poop properly
The forum probably won't exist, but the record of it might survive.

Also, I want to state for the record and for any of my descendants who come upon these posts: I am not part of that faction of resetera members that doesn't know how to clean themselves or doesn't know how to handle basic bodily functions. Personally, I try not to think about the fact that some folks here claim to have the personal management skills of an 18-month old, and I kinda hope they're posting some of those wild hygiene confessions for attention and not out of truth, but I also try not to judge them too harshly. Because life in the early 21st century of the common era could still be rough, and stress affects people in peculiar ways.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I guess my potential great great grand kids might see some pictures?

But I guess that will all be in some hard drive in a dumpster somewhere.

Who knows.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not one bit, it wouldn't even bother me that no one remembered me after 1 second. The thing is, when I'm dead I'm dead, and nothing that happens after will ever matter to me beyond that point. Everything that I do is to be entertained while I'm alive, stuff to get through the duration without going crazy.

Edit: All this stuff on Earth, family, friends, societies are all about survival. That's it, without all that life would be a bit pointless and chaotic, and our species wouldn't have survived well.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's all about leaving a legacy.

And yeah, it's understood that if you're not a major historical figure, your legacy is going to be really brief.

No, it doesn't bother me. That's how the world works.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care. I just want to leave this world a better place than I found it. I'm a meaningless being in the grand scheme and I find comfort in that. I just want to do my best and lead a happy life

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Im more worried about surviving and being happy then being remembered, I don't have the privilege to be narcissistic.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
No, I'm not concerned about total strangers not knowing who I am 500 years from now.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you can have some reassurance, perhaps, in the fact that your deeds will have fundamentally determined many aspects of the life of your progeny. your 5x grand kids will never so much as know your name but what you have done will cascade down to their own lives. you're the endpoint of millions of generations of humanity and if just one person along that line had decided to not fuck you wouldn't exist

Oct 25, 2017
The forum probably won't exist, but the record of it might survive.

Also, I want to state for the record and for any of my descendants who come upon these posts: I am not part of that faction of resetera members that doesn't know how to clean themselves or doesn't know how to handle basic bodily functions. Personally, I try not to think about the fact that some folks here claim to have the personal management skills of an 18-month old, and I kinda hope they're posting some of those wild hygiene confessions for attention and not out of truth, but I also try not to judge them too harshly. Because life in the early 21st century of the common era could still be rough, and stress affects people in peculiar ways.
I want paramoons descendants to know he pooped into his hands and not into the toilet

Oct 30, 2017
I do believe that the question has come to mind of certain dictators like Hitler. He will be remembered for a long time, that is his legacy... With lots of other stuff.

For me, i couldn't care. That is life.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm remembered it will be for something negative or humiliating (that hasn't happened yet) so I'm all for being forgotten.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I do believe that the question has come to mind of certain dictators like Hitler. He will be remembered for a long time, that is his legacy... With lots of other stuff.
Hitler is one of very few.
There was some sci-fi story that was fairly accurate in saying that there is barely a handful of humans that have had any long term impact on the planet. They considered 200 years the point where civilization changes so much in that time frame that even world leaders have little or no impact in the long term.

We're just another animal on this rock. We live, we die. The self-importance we put on ourselves as a human race is meaningless.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Think of it like this: chances are, if they aren't a Michael Jackson or Jordan or Prince or Princess Diana or Icon of some sort no one's going to remember them either.

We're animals, we better not forget that. We aren't better than other beings just because of sophisticated thought.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one of many reasons that I want to write a novel. One of the few ways to become immortal is to create something timeless that people absolutely love. I better start writing if I'm going to hit that bar...

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's one of many reasons that I want to write a novel. One of the few ways to become immortal is to create something timeless that people absolutely love. I better start writing if I'm going to hit that bar...
Hate to burst your bubble, but how many writers can we honestly say reach that kind of immortality? less than one per generation? Even getting a book published is insanely tough and competitive, and even then most books get a printing or two and then go out of print, basically forgotten about.

Definitely write a book and try to get it published if you think you'll find that experience to be fulfilling, but if immortality is your goal there's about a .0000000000001% chance that you'll succeed.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to burst your bubble, but how many writers can we honestly say reach that kind of immortality? less than one per generation? Even getting a book published is insanely tough and competitive, and even then most books get a printing or two and then go out of print, basically forgotten about.

Definitely write a book and try to get it published if you think you'll find that experience to be fulfilling, but if immortality is your goal there's about a .0000000000001% chance that you'll succeed.

So you're saying there's a chance!