Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about that. Humanity's collective memory will one day be entirely gone anyways so nobody gets remembered forever.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
giphy.gif

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter at all. I'm raising dope kids that will have dope descendants. The lil ninjas will know me in passing from the wisdom they'll learn from their own parents.

I have a descendant that killed his master and helped free his people during war. I don't think he cares either way that I just posted about him lol.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've always thought this is why it must be amazing to create something artistic that will live on. Imagine knowing a song, or a painting or something that you made will still be echoing many years after you're gone.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. All I care about is raising my daughters to be good people, so that hopefully they'll continue that trend.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Your family will remember (kids especially, if you have them. Grandkids too).

The rest is bullshit. That's what I'm starting to realize as I get older.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I've come to terms with the fact that the only purpose of life is to make more life. Evolution and random chance handle the rest — no idea what the end goal is, if anything. While I'm living, any meaning or worth is self-derived and then that candle burns out.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. This entire planet will be gone one day as well, so it doesn't matter.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No not in the least. I am not having kids and my Sister only had 1 so be super quick for me to be forgotten. No problems with it at all. Not egotistical in that way I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got kids, I don't care. They'll carry a part of me along with them and some memories too.

My kids are my DNA fired into the future.

Oct 27, 2017
I have two kids so there's a chance that I'll be named in a box near the top of someone's family tree from Ancestor.com.

But it doesn't really bother me, certainly something I don't really think about

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I think about it all the time. And it makes me very sad.

It's part of the reason Coco fucks me up so badly, even on repeat viewings; sooner or later, we're all forgotten like that.

That's what I thought. But after I faked my own death (long story), I found that I wasn't entirely correct. My nephew still posts RIP on his Facebook every year on the anniversary of my apparent demise.

Of course, his mom (aka my sister) doesn't give a shit. Still, she raised a good kid. Somehow.

......wut????

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I lost my grandfather a little over a year ago, not only was he one of my most important mentors and role models he was also one of the best friends that I ever had. My daughters were 5 & 2 when he passed, they honestly won't remember much of him at all. Still my grandfather taught me so much in not only practical knowledge but just how to treat each other and how to live your life that I certainly remember and will pass down to my kids. They might not know exactly the source of the knowledge but as long as it's passed down he'll still have an impact long after I am gone.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
I mean sure, if you discover a new branch of mathematics or were a civil rights icon or something people will remember you. OK.

But I'm talking about the other 99.999%+ of us out there. Kids generally know and love their parents. Grand kids do as well in many cases. There's not too many people very close to there great grandparents and you can forget about it after that. So in reality 80 years after you die, your hopes, your dreams, your achievements, your grand ideas about the world wouldn't have amounted to shit. You made no impact. Outside of your progeny. (Maybe that's why we (collectively) have such a strong desire to have kids.)

Does that thought ever cross your mind? Does it bother you at all? Don't care?

It does cross my mind.
Honestly, I want to leave as much as I can to my kids. I want to provide them values, great memories and as much security as I can.

It's up to you to make an impact or not. There are lots of things you can do in this life with the time you have.
You can make art.
You can plant trees and protect nature.
You can give love and help to people around you.

All this will live on long after your dead, even if your name isn't attached to it. There is something that endure, something that unfolds and your are a small part of it. You can contribute to it being good or bad overall your choice.

We should not care too much about what will happen after we are dead and start doing something right now...

I dunno, I saved a person's life once. He wouldn't be alive right now if it wasn't for me, and that means his kids wouldn't exist. So I can at least carry that knowledge into oblivion with me even if I'm otherwise mostly known as "background actor #4".

Wow. 10/10. That has much more value than fame. To me at least!

I remember a story about a person who in his last wishes gave NHL hockey game tickets to sick kids. The guy's name was never given to the kids. I don't know but I hope he though about them being happy when he passed away.

tenor.gif

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about being in the history books, but I will have had meaning if the people I love remember me for as long as they're around. Whether it's my friends who think of me as dependable, or my parents that feel like they've done a good job, or my future kids/grandkids that think about their awesomely silly dad/grandfather. No one is forever, and I don't need to be remembered as such. Who gives a crap if my great great grandkids don't remember me? I won't know them either, the little shits.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't even like having my picture taken, so no, I don't care. And since my wife and I aren't having kids, and therefore no grandkids, I doubt it will even take 80 years for me to be forgotten.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Chalk me up in the butterfly effect camp on this. Like for example I had this amazing friend during my university years who died an accident in this period. But I and many others will never forget him and the impact on big and small things in our lives he had. From good advice on the big things in life to trivialities like introducing me to an awesome piece of media or fantastic dish. Knowledge I'll pass on when and where I can.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Chalk me up in the butterfly effect camp on this. Like for example I had this amazing friend during my university years who died an accident in this period. But I and many others will never forget him and the impact on big and small things in our lives he had. From good advice on the big things in life to trivialities like introducing me to an awesome piece of media or fantastic dish. Knowledge I'll pass on when and where I can.
Sure. But that's generations at best. Great that someone can have such a positive influence over generations, don't get me wrong. It's what we all should strive for. But after a while we all are forgotten and after even a longer humanity will be gone and even the earth and our solar system.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It actually gives me a lot of comfort, that when I don't reach a goal I have in my mind or fail at something, make a fool of myself etc - that in the grand scheme of things it's utterly meaningless and only a very short-term blip in a tiny life in a giant universe. When I'm dead it will matter even less. Sounds good to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I never met my grandfathers and I don't even know what they look like. My mom and dad don't have any physical black and white pictures of them from back-in-the-day (probably lost/forgotten or left in a different country). It's really odd and sad, because they were alive like 35ish years ago.

In my circumstance I know that they existed, but I'll never meet them or see them, which bothers me a little. But if I don't get married or have kids or grandchildren or anything like that, I'll be forgotten after my current family passes away (youngest person in my family is 2 years old, nephew, hopefully he'll remember/think about me in 50+ years lol).

Being forgotten doesn't bother me much, personally. If I don't put in the effort to benefit humanity or make world-shifting positive breakthroughs, then why would I deserve to be remembered? I think having your name in a history textbook or whatever is an absolute privilege. You were either an amazing person who made the world better, or a terrible treacherous person who made the world worse.

Being a musician/artist/producer/etc, I'd like to imagine that people are still bumping my beats/tunes 80 years from now. But just LOL.

Last edited:

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No. Haven't really thought about it, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I have wondered about my ancestors that lived 120 or 300 or 1000 years ago. I wish I knew something about them.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Not really, no. TBH, there's a weird relief knowing that no matter how bad I might screw up my life, or how bad things get, I won't have to live with it forever. It will all be washed away and forgotten eventually.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That need of leaving a Mark and having your own dinasty is part of the cáncer that is patriarchy

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The greatest people in history are nothing but a nanosecond vibration of a grain of sand on the galactic stage, which is a similarly microscopic particle of the wider universe, which will eventually burn out and/or collapse in on itself so...no, none of us are gonna be remembered anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It's kind of relieving. All of the shit I'm so worried about how doesn't matter ultimately, and I'll have impacted people who will hopefully do good things, and they will impact other people who will hopefully do good things. That's all the legacy I need.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I worry more about those seconds or minutes of the actual act of dying and my body shutting down, than being remembered by my family afterwards.

OP
OP
Gaf Zombie

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
No. Haven't really thought about it, and it doesn't bother me at all.

I have wondered about my ancestors that lived 120 or 300 or 1000 years ago. I wish I knew something about them.

It is kind of cool (scary?) that in another 300 years our descendants will be able to look us up and piece some of our lives together with social media and posts like this.

Hello my great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter. Stay in school and listen to your parents.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Having been involved in some scenarios that made me recognized. Fuck that noise. Let me be forgotten. If any of you schmucks know my name after i pass, I'm going to be mighty annoyed.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did just realize that our digital footprint will outlive every one of us for probably eternity. Instead of Ancestry.com your future relations may request a google search history of you to know you better.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of cool (scary?) that in another 300 years our descendants will be able to look us up and piece some of our lives together with social media and posts like this.

Hello my great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter. Stay in school and listen to your parents.

lol true. shout out to Gaf Zombie's great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter. I was on the same internet forum as your great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaddy. We talked about you, and wished you well.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Is that even true now? If there were lots of videos of my great great parents doing stupid shit 100 years ago and facebook blogs, I'd be interested.