• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers if those who haven't played Call of Duty WWII and plan on playing it, but it's not much of a spoiler in my opinion.

I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at what I was witnessing. Probably the most ridiculous over the top scene I've ever seen.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
As a veteran, i can assure you this is all very accurate.
Especially the part were we had to mash x to jump off the jeep. Always hated that during training.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best part of that scene is that, while playing it, I felt absolutely nothing.

All of this shit, *constantly* blowing up around me, people being flung from the train, buildings exploding...

And yet...I'm just staring at the screen, with no emotion on my face whatsoever. Just an astoundingly uninteresting sequence of events.

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a "war" game that didn't try to be fun? I mean by and large nobody wants to be in war, I'm curious if there has ever been a game that tries to simulate that feeling and not just present badass shit to do.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
So fucking cringe worthy, especially as I recently played through CoD1, United Offensive and 2 again recently.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a veteran, i can assure you this is all very accurate.
Especially the part were we had to mash x to jump off the jeep. Always hated that during training.
There was a program by the Germans to increase the frequency at which x could be pressed. I believe this "turbo mode" was headed by the esteemed Dr. "Mad" Catz.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's unintentionally hilarious.

Their marketing was funny from the beginning; they had developers talking in sombre tones about the realism of the game, and then in the next sentence were showing off zombies.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
There was a program by the Germans to increase the frequency at which x could be pressed. I believe this "turbo mode" was headed by the esteemed Dr. "Mad" Catz.

True. WW2 gave us many things, jets, rockets and turbo mode on the pcs for years to come.

2017-03-17-image.jpg

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's generally not a good sign when you "epic" action set piece cutscene is so overlong that I'm starting to check my phone for new messages.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA

All of this shit, *constantly* blowing up around me, people being flung from the train, buildings exploding...

And yet...I'm just staring at the screen, with no emotion on my face whatsoever. Just an astoundingly uninteresting sequence of events.

How the hell did they make something that was simultaneously so loud and so lifeless. It looked incredibly boring. Was the whole campaign like that?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

Your experience fits this moment of the angry joe review perfectly (at 8m5s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpxPvknxeo&t=8m5s

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That was hilarious with the never ending train parts falling from the sky. I need someone to make an edit of that scene and just have train parts falling from the sky for 10 minutes.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol wolfenstein was better at showing the grim realities of war and that is a series with robo dogs and mecha Hitler. This is sad

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
what the fucking hell was that

absolutely embarrasing

gameplaywise it's like a mix of the trainchase section of UC2 and car chase section of UC4

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
gameplaywise it's like a mix of the trainchase section of UC2 and car chase section of UC4

I'd say it's far more similar to the train chase section of The Lost Legacy. Obviously, both games were in production around the same time, but it's still funny to see how much those two sequences are alike.

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's far more similar to the train chase section of The Lost Legacy. Obviously, both games were in production around the same time, but it's still funny to see how much those two sequences are alike.
oh yeah that's probably true, I wasn't remembering if TLL had a train chase or not

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/26/...unflinching-and-respectful-combat-experience/

"It's an honor because the conflict itself is rooted in one of the most historic moments in human history when the common man came together to do uncommon things, we get to honor and respect that global sacrifice. We started this journey wanting to tell this story because we wanted to remind the world so that we never let it happen again. The people who went to war, the veterans, are largely gone. We are telling it because the people who went are no longer here to tell it for themselves."

"You feel like you are really there, that was one of the important things, getting all the details right. To me, a game is a toy. What we're creating is art. What World War II offered us was to take you on the journey of the common man. What World War II offers us is it puts you right in the heart of these iconic battles."

Hopefully that answers your question. This is art that honors and respects that one time some American GIs chased a train before it did a sick flip and blew up.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This game should become a reference to game developers out there on how to make a single-player campaign utterly, utterly soulless.

Call of Duty campaigns haven't changed one bit since their inception. This is a scene as generic as they come.
Drive this vehicle for 3.5 minutes. Get on a stationary gun while convenient cardboard cut-outs of enemy soldiers pop their oblivious heads out from every single inch of the train for some reason all of a sudden. Press X to throw the grenade while the scripted scene tries to convey a struggle. Press X to jump off the car. Explosions.

This mishmash of generic events has to be so incredibly rote among the devs over there. They have done these exact scenarios over and over and the only thing that changes is the set dressing.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, watched that with headphones and the sound design is on point at the end of that setpiece. Are there Dead Space sound dudes in Sledgehammer?

Formulaic shit, otherwise. Ungrateful task to be stuck with WW2 era COD, and having to adhere to the old formula. Not much room for creativity, no margin at all for interesting gameplay seen in AW or IW.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo I was laughing my a off playing Battlefield 1 when you get in the mech suit and trundle your way up the mountain shooting literally dozens of people. It was like a scene from Wolfenstein, but played totally straight, like that's just how it was in WWI.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
Eh the set piece seemed alright for what it is.

However, that sound design when the train crashes/explodes sounds like someone opening and closing some dresser drawers.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What was terrifying for me was that while watching my friend play war on the beach assault map, it occurred to me that it probably was that easy to just pick off people walking through the water. My friend was just standing in the bunker sniping, just one person after another in a line. It was kinda awful.