• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
You know CoD, they have to add some "Hollywood Action" in every game. Leave the train aside, the jeep driving was hilarious!

Oct 28, 2017
As a veteran, i can assure you this is all very accurate.
Especially the part were we had to mash x to jump off the jeep. Always hated that during training.

I salute you, soldier. Did you also press x to pay respect to the fallen soldiers?

In all seriousness, this sequences was poorly designed and felt like a cheap imitation of GTA San Andreas' infamous train mission. Ofcourse, COD WW2 wasn't inspired by this but man, the gameplay tempo in that mission was horrible. Even the awkward silences with the character's partner and occasional screams killed any sense of immersion.

I do admit that the train crash was unexpected and gave me a thrill but still, this is not acceptable in a game that deals with a historic background such as World War 2.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to Call of Duty for realism and not spectacle, the problem lies with you.

Kyo555

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like World War II as told by Americans to me alright.

Edit: /sarcasm (just in case)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This game should become a reference to game developers out there on how to make a single-player campaign utterly, utterly soulless.

Call of Duty campaigns haven't changed one bit since their inception. This is a scene as generic as they come.
Drive this vehicle for 3.5 minutes. Get on a stationary gun while convenient cardboard cut-outs of enemy soldiers pop their oblivious heads out from every single inch of the train for some reason all of a sudden. Press X to throw the grenade while the scripted scene tries to convey a struggle. Press X to jump off the car. Explosions.

This mishmash of generic events has to be so incredibly rote among the devs over there. They have done these exact scenarios over and over and the only thing that changes is the set dressing.
For real. I don't even play these kinds of games often and I feel like I've still played this exact sequence at least ten times already.

Oct 27, 2017
Call of duty campaigns have always been dumb jingoistic interactive popcorn flicks.

It's always about the spectacle, and to be fair it's not like the modern games sell off a sense of realism.

They're also guilty pleasures of mine, I've replayed mw2's campaign more times than I can count.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The SAS did some crazy shit during the war and trains were a favorite target of partisans in the east and resistance cells in the west. I don't recall seeing any reports about flipping over trains though.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This is actually really really sad after having replayed Call of Duty 2 recently. I mean I hadn't really been paying attention to the series at all for years and then I just see this... wow. There is literally no soul in this whatsoever.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Strangely OP, my grandfather and a buddy of his, while in the army; stole a jeep at night and had to bail out of it when it died on the railroad tracks as a train was coming.

I'm not kidding. This actually happened.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... I'm really enjoying the campaign in CoD WWII thus far but there are a few moments like this that completely took me out of the experience. This and the bit in a church were just too over the top for me. It's a real shame when there are plenty of other great moments that feel much more grounded. For anyone who might be on the fence about giving the game a play just for the story, know that the campaign as a whole is nowhere near as over the top.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Reminds me of the plane/blimp part of the BF1 campaign where you land on a blimp, use the turret to fend off airplanes, and then have to blow it up.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Saw it during Angry Joe's Review.

Had the EXACT sequence of response as he did. First was unimpressed, but then it kept going and going and going... you can't help but laugh.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Call of duty campaigns have always been dumb jingoistic interactive popcorn flicks.

It's always about the spectacle, and to be fair it's not like the modern games sell off a sense of realism.

They're also guilty pleasures of mine, I've replayed mw2's campaign more times than I can count.

But there's no spectacle. There was nothing interesting about this entire setpiece. It was the same rote stuff that's been rehashed over and over.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes this is how it really was, this is patented "boots on the ground" gameplay that really helps drive home the down to earth story and compelling characters that aren't stereotypes or events that aren't realistic.

For real though, Brothers in Arms is probably the best bet for now as far as fps goes,

Much more down to earth story and characters, though it's not completely realistic by far it's far better then your CoD style of games and actually focuses on squad tactics.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
CoD 4 has a very skeptical opinion about wars.
To say tha CoD4 was trying to put an anti-war/anti-jingoism message before fun is intellectually dishonest. Your goal is still to shoot anything that moves with very little thought behind why. Even the first two games left the preaching to the load screen quotes.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't you know that GTA SA was based on accurate WW II events? Follow The Damn Train, CJ.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This game should become a reference to game developers out there on how to make a single-player campaign utterly, utterly soulless.

Call of Duty campaigns haven't changed one bit since their inception. This is a scene as generic as they come.
Drive this vehicle for 3.5 minutes. Get on a stationary gun while convenient cardboard cut-outs of enemy soldiers pop their oblivious heads out from every single inch of the train for some reason all of a sudden. Press X to throw the grenade while the scripted scene tries to convey a struggle. Press X to jump off the car. Explosions.

This mishmash of generic events has to be so incredibly rote among the devs over there. They have done these exact scenarios over and over and the only thing that changes is the set dressing.
I don't think the devs are bored of doing this. I actually think they're constantly in competition with the other COD devs going "Oh, you think your set piece was crazy? Well get a load of this!"

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to Call of Duty for realism and not spectacle, the problem lies with you.

It wasn't even a good spectacle, though. The part when the trains comes out from under the bridge/tunnel and it's going about 175 MPH and then suddenly it slows to the same speed as your jeep (about 25 mph) was terrible. Then the part where the jeep doesn't immediately get crushed by the train, and THEN raises the train up and causes it to derail. And then the cars. Is there a giant flinging train cars off screen? It's so comical the way they keep coming at odd intervals.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely silly and over the top and it doesn't do much for me as a spectacle-heavy setpiece.

Luckily, the game has a few missions that don't fall into this trap, and are so much better for it.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers if those who haven't played Call of Duty WWII and plan on playing it, but it's not much of a spoiler in my opinion.

I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at what I was witnessing. Probably the most ridiculous over the top scene I've ever seen.

There were trains, cars, guns, and Nazis during WW2 right? This scene fits the bill accordingly.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Did that fucking Jeep just skid under the train for like half a mile without being completely crushed or pushed out the way? And then when it finally did get crushed, it exploded resulting in the entire train piling up into a flaming wreck?

Holy shit I just had a great laugh, they must have known this was insane when they were putting stuff up on the drawing board right?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible restraint on part of Sledgehammer to always stay true to actual, well documented events that are never exaggerated for dramatic effect. Truly shows how much video games have matured as an art form. I hope historians will use this footage to teach WW2 to young aspiring academics. Almost as good as traveling to the past, I'd say.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best part of that scene is that, while playing it, I felt absolutely nothing.

All of this shit, *constantly* blowing up around me, people being flung from the train, buildings exploding...

And yet...I'm just staring at the screen, with no emotion on my face whatsoever. Just an astoundingly uninteresting sequence of events.

My thoughts were "Oh God, make it stop!"

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any big explosiony set piece in a cod game that wasn't absolutely boring to play. The best set pieces are always the slow sniper ones.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, i hadn't heard of or seen this sequence yet. What a silly setpiece.

"Remember that great sequence in the latest uncharted! Let's do that"

I loved the one random tank on the train, the absurd crash physics, but mostly i love the fact that the level designers don't know how cars work. - Like, no amount of 'suspension' could make you go at that speed given all the rocks they're driving over. Like - you wanna have a 'car chase' squence? Take down the 'random rocks" a good notch.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredibly dumb, but more importantly the production values feel dated by about 8 years.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not anymore than other COD scenes. It's mind numbing game play and big booms.

That bike chase scene in Black Ops is just as silly.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Waaaay over the top, I guess I can appreciate the effort but c'mon.

Side question: does this game allow you to play as soldiers from other allied countries?

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, thats CoD, alright. But not in the same ballpark as a firefight on a crashing plane that gets torn in 2 halves.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I showed my grandfather a WWII game one time and asked him if it was accurate.

He said hell no, there were too many soldiers shouting like idiots in the game. Apparently nobody shouted or freaked out in his experience. They must have been more disciplined in real life than Hollywood and games would have us believe.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I loved it. That level is when the campaign turned the corner to me. Before that I thought it was decent but underwhelming. Felt like a WWII game from 2005 in the first few missions.

Strong campaign overall imo.