• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MAN I AM SO JEALOUS

Game is staring at me on my desk but my finals are soon and I really shouldn't

I am so excited to finally try this :(

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Well, finally I have finished the download of the game with my atrocious internet connection.

A dumb question, it is possible to get all the collectibles in each level by doing a single run, or do you need to repeat some levels by taking different routes?

And by the way, I need to say to people worrying about the resolution in portable mode, the game looks very crisp and gorgeous.

I will say that it's together with 'ARMS' and 'Breath of the Wild' the most impressive technical showcase of the hardware.

Still impressed to see the most complex games produced by Nintendo running in such a small form factor.

I'm getting the felling that this will become my second favorite platformer in the system, just after 'The End Is Nigh' which is impossible to surpass :)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
A dumb question, it is possible to get all the collectibles in each level by doing a single run, or do you need to repeat some levels by taking different routes?
The only thing that will make you repeat a level is the alternate exits that lead to the secret levels.
All the other collectibles can be obtained in a single run.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The only thing that will make you repeat a level is the alternate exits that lead to the secret levels.
All the other collectibles can be obtained in a single run.

Thanks for the useful info :)

I always try to get 100% of the collectibles before moving to the next level in my platform games.

Time to repeat the first level!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the useful info :)

I always try to get 100% of the collectibles before moving to the next level in my platform games.

Time to repeat the first level!

Frankly the 100% is hard, some of the collectibles are hidden very well and I am even struggling to find those of World 1 (I am in World 3 right now).

I would recommend to try one or two times and then move on to the next level. It might become frustrating if you are stuck too long on one level.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funky's double-jump mechanics make no sense. The first jump is fine and carries him with the momentum you would expect it to have, but when you tap jump again, it's like you're being restrained by invisible chains. I'm worried I'm going to bust an analog stick trying to get him over where I feel the jump should take me. These are least satisfying double-jumps in any game I've played.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Frankly the 100% is hard, some of the collectibles are hidden very well and I am even struggling to find those of World 1 (I am in World 3 right now).

I would recommend to try one or two times and then move on to the next level. It might become frustrating if you are stuck too long on one level.
You can buy the parrot to help you with the puzzle pieces though.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
100%'d World 1 this morning like it was just yesterday I was playing this.

What. A. Game.

I'm glad it's getting a second life and people can finally have another chance to play the best 2D platformer ever released.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

Oh, then it's even better, the two things that I enjoy the most in platform games are a good level of challenge and very well hidden collectibles, demanding to think outside of the box :)

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most underrated thing about this game is the fact that it contains, pound-for-pound, the greatest collection of platforming stages of all time

I feel like that should be celebrated more

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
I just started this game yesterday and holy shit. How can I've ever lived without this game?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, people said this game doesn't shine in coop but yesterday with a friend we had a blast. It's actual co-op and requires some communication. It doesn't feel like an afterthought.

Oct 27, 2017
You know, people said this game doesn't shine in coop but yesterday with a friend we had a blast. It's actual co-op and requires some communication. It doesn't feel like an afterthought.

I haven't played co-op in Tropical Freeze, but I had a ton of fun with it in Returns, if only because my little sister would play Diddy and would jump off my back over a pit and laugh her ass off as I fell into the death abyss below.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, in Amazon.es is 52,90 ,same on the MediaMarkt web, and yeah, some webs have the game at 49,95 but the shipping costs 3 euros everywhere...
TBH, I rarely go to physical stores , I buy everything at Amazon, so maybe there's places where you can buy the game 3 € cheaper as you said.

I have to say I buy every nintendo game on carrefour or mediamarkt. Nothing beats finding always nintendo games there 10 euros (and sometimes even 15) cheaper than in every other store.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
So I beat World 2, but did not unlock the Alpine Incline track. How do I unlock all the tracks? It only shows four for both worlds.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most underrated thing about this game is the fact that it contains, pound-for-pound, the greatest collection of platforming stages of all time

There's a lot of things about this game that should be celebrated more, but it just doesn't resonate on that level with the tastes of the time.

Good to see new people enjoying it.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the most underrated thing about this game is the fact that it contains, pound-for-pound, the greatest collection of platforming stages of all time

The craziest part is that it works on both a collectathon level and a pure platforming level. So many little moments where you think "That looks like it might unlock something" and it pays off more often than not, yet it also has pitch perfect enemy and obstacle placement for the time attacks. It's bananas.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Question: have they adjusted the difficulty in this game from the Wii U version (besides Funky)? I gave up at the owl boss years ago; it just dragged on and was too difficult/tedious. Would love to experience the game again more fully.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I understand there are gates to the secret levels, what does completing the letters and puzzle pieces do?

Puzzle pieces just unlock art and stuff, but the letters unlock an extra level in each world and it's definitely well worth the effort.

Question: have they adjusted the difficulty in this game from the Wii U version (besides Funky)? I gave up at the owl boss years ago; it just dragged on and was too difficult/tedious. Would love to experience the game again more fully.

You can play Funky mode as DK, which gives you up to two extra hearts, but the actual game itself is the same.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Funky Mode is an easier difficulty all around, the characters have more hearts and can take more items into levels. Funky Kong makes the game even easier on top of that, since he has all the companion's perks rolled into him baseline and has additional hearts on top of that.

Other than that the game is pretty much unchanged.

Oct 25, 2017

Thinking about it, yeah that's probably true. Like, there's only one level I'd actually call bad (I'm sure everyone knows what that is), and the rest range from great to best of all time. And it's spread pretty evenly throughout the game.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Funky Mode is an easier difficulty all around, the characters have more hearts and can take more items into levels. Funky Kong makes the game even easier on top of that, since he has all the companion's perks rolled into him baseline and has additional hearts on top of that.

Other than that the game is pretty much unchanged.
Awesome, than you!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As I don't have time (and car), I prefer Amazon, and tbh Amazon is as cheap as MM usually.
Yeah every one have their preferences (or how you use your time) to buy stuff. Dont worry. I tried Amazon for games some time back, and becuase sometimes they fucked up the sending dates i prefer to get them myself, but of course is easy for me as I can get a bus or walk and be in the store in 10 minutes.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So I understand there are gates to the secret levels, what does completing the letters and puzzle pieces do?
Extras (art assets).
No. Playing the Funky Mode you can switch and control DK, and then it's an easier version without being as easy as playing as Funky.
But the normal mode is as hard as ever (luckily).

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
2-5 has some of the tightest platforming I've experienced in my life. INCREDIBLE.
I kove that stage, it also has two of my favourite tracks (love how it has different musin when you get to the sky) and I also really enjoyed searching for the puzzles in that stage. World 2 would be my favourite world probably if it wasnt for that stage with Rambi that everything was collapsing - had some of the most furstrating moments in the whole game there.

The rocket barrel levels are really the best. Its a shame they cut back on them so much.
Yeah, good idea to give us an extra hit - contrary to DKCReturns.

Completing puzzles gives you artworks in the extras.
The letters are more important, collect them all in all stages of a world to unlock the K levels (considerably more challenging than the regular levels)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The rocket barrel levels are really the best. Its a shame they cut back on them so much.
I would pay A LOT of money to have a DLC for DKTF.
There's a lot of creativity into each level, but the small number of levels is the main cause behind having only a few "special levels".
IIRC there's (aside from the secret world):
-3 cart levels
-4 rocket levels
-3 silhouette levels
-3 Rambi levels

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would pay A LOT of money to have a DLC for DKTF.
There's a lot of creativity into each level, but the small number of levels is the main cause behind having only a few "special levels".
IIRC there's (aside from the secret world):
-3 cart levels
-4 rocket levels
-3 silhouette levels
-3 Rambi levels
Those are definitely my favorites too. Every time I see the barrel or cart and remember what kind of level it is I get so stoked.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the first few levels but it really is quite awesome how well the levels are designed to just flow. I mean, when you get going and sliding and jumping, it's fucking fantastic.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Those are definitely my favorites too. Every time I see the barrel or cart and remember what kind of level it is I get so stoked.
In DKCR there's a lot of cart levels, even 2 kind of them (the carts that jump with you and the carts from you can jump), and a fair amount of rocket levels.
But in DKTF there's Rambi levels and water leves, so there's more overall variety
And DKTF introduces 2 more companions and the level gimmicks are better and more interesting.

I understand that the priority in DFTF was to create the best levels possible instead of the biggest amount.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In DKCR there's a lot of cart levels, even 2 kind of them (the carts that jump with you and the carts from you can jump), and a fair amount of rocket levels.
But in DKTF there's Rambi levels and water leves, so there's more overall variety
And DKTF introduces 2 more companions and the level gimmicks are better and more interesting.

I understand that the priority in DFTF was to create the best levels possible instead of the biggest amount.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I think I would buy a game that's straight Rocket Barrels though if they all look that good. Although Bopopolis is as good as it gets.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine will be here on Tuesday. It's Co-op right? The lady is super hype about this one.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City

Do you mean the owl from World 2? Just beat it. Not that bad once you understand how to evade it's attacks.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I really wish there was an easier way to overstate this fact when trying to sell people on how good this game is

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

There were Rambi levels in DKCR too, even though in the majority of them Rambi felt more like a power up or a helping optional item than like a mandatory element in order to complete them (like animal buddies worked in DKC, before DKC2 where they became integral to the levels they appeared in). In some of the levels he was even hidden.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I know it has been a fact for 4 years, but this game is hard. I love it. So glad to finally play it, the saw level in world 2 is my favorite so far.