• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of World 3 now.... wow this game is pure distilled creativity.
donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-high-five.gif

It really is. It actually has inspired me in other areas (non-gaming) as well since the Wii U release.

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, using the triggers for climbing/grabbing in DKCTF feels much more natural than I remembered after having played Celeste. Occasionally I miss a vine grab but it's almost always due to a failure to account for which way I'm facing.

There are no checkpoints in the K levels? Think I will have to come back for those at a later point

The best thing is, the lack of checkpoints actually makes the K-levels seem much easier in Hard Mode because they aren't any different from what you had seen and mastered already on the first run.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I almost forgot that solo Dixie Kong has the best set of animations of any 2D platforming character, bless hard mode for reminding me.
the way her ponytail twizzles as she breaks into a run, the acrobatic bopping, cannonballing into water, erratic footwork when holding a barrel and the side to side ponytail ground pound.

In general I think it's understated how great it is that each kong has their own unique animations and idles, considering just how many unique animations have to be made from rope and wall clinging to punching out the plane at the start of 1-1.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I almost forgot that solo Dixie Kong has the best set of animations of any 2D platforming character, bless hard mode for reminding me.
the way her ponytail twizzles as she breaks into a run, the acrobatic bopping, cannonballing into water, erratic footwork when holding a barrel and the side to side ponytail ground pound.

In general I think it's understated how great it is that each kong has their own unique animations and idles, considering just how many unique animations have to be made from rope and wall clinging to punching out the plane at the start of 1-1.
She's probably my second fave DK character. I like her more than Diddy, hands down.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else playing this with an 8bitdo SN30 Pro? It feels sooooo nice playing it with a SNES style controller.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No way, 4-1 is like... the best stage in the first game. So satisfying. I mean, yeah, the levels were straightforward left to right layouts, but I don't think that detracted from them.
That's pretty telling of the game in and of itself.

DKC1 was an alright game but it's one where it becomes increasingly clear the further you get into the game that the designers were just straight up running low on ideas. The one thing it has going for it compared to it's sequels is the realistic atmosphere but that's not enough to consider it the best.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So. I lost 10 lives trying to do the very first jump in 2-K.

Could someone explain to me *when* I'm supposed to press the jump button as if I was very, very stupid?
Before the owl? When touching the owl?

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
That's pretty telling of the game in and of itself.

DKC1 was an alright game but it's one where it becomes increasingly clear the further you get into the game that the designers were just straight up running low on ideas. The one thing it has going for it compared to it's sequels is the realistic atmosphere but that's not enough to consider it the best.

That's not true at all. Most of the most creative, hard and interesting levels are beyond the first half of the game, even though it's true that the cave atmosphere gets overused by the end of the adventure. Platform Perils, Tanked up trouble, Loopy Lights, Blackout basement, Trick Track Trek, Slipslide Ride, Poison Pond, Croctopus Chase and of course Gang Plank Galleon are masterpieces.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
So. I lost 10 lives trying to do the very first jump in 2-K.

Could someone explain to me *when* I'm supposed to press the jump button as if I was very, very stupid?
Before the owl? When touching the owl?

Just as long as you press the button a second time (and hold it) after the jump but before the hit you'll make a high bounce, but there's also a small window to do it after the hit, like if you did a double jump right after the bounce. The only point where it is too late to perform it is when the bounce animation has already started.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
OMG 2-K is really something else.

Tried to beat it for the last hour or so and eventually succeeded, but man it is so satsifying when you manage to make it to the end. Pure flow really.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I think its interesting how nearly all of the people complaining about the controls are comparing it unfavourably to the original trilogy. DKCR and DKCTF have better controls than the original trilogy in how the momentum based controls interact with the environment. However there is a hump that you need to get over, which is learning. How people take to this transition largely impacts how they feel. If they feel like they know how DKC should be, they basically cripple themselves. The grab mechanic is genius. The only downside is that they didn't fully explore the implications of a dedicated grab button enough. Returns probably did a better job with this.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I found that Bopopolis is a skill run you just don't forget. It took me several tries the first time I tried it on Wii U but every subsequent play of it since I've beat it in one go. One time I was playing co-op with a friend and used it to farm lives because I was so consistent at it.

Great level. Not my favorite K stage (Perilous Pendulums(I think?) or Platform Problems are my favorites) but it definitely feels great .

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think its interesting how nearly all of the people complaining about the controls are comparing it unfavourably to the original trilogy. DKCR and DKCTF have better controls than the original trilogy in how the momentum based controls interact with the environment. However there is a hump that you need to get over, which is learning. How people take to this transition largely impacts how they feel. If they feel like they know how DKC should be, they basically cripple themselves. The grab mechanic is genius. The only downside is that they didn't fully explore the implications of a dedicated grab button enough. Returns probably did a better job with this.

Returns makes a bit better use of clinging, yeah.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
There's lots of good clinging levels on DKCR, but I do think that the main reason DKTF has less of them is because they don't want to repeat too much ideas from Return.
More reason to want a remaster on the Switch of the first game...

Tropical Freeze is really a different beast. Longer levels that intertwine gimmicks together, less clinging and barrel blasting sections, the addition of water levels, no mine cart surfing, etc. It doesn't retread too hard on Returns' ground.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Just as long as you press the button a second time (and hold it) after the jump but before the hit you'll make a high bounce, but there's also a small window to do it after the hit, like if you did a double jump right after the bounce. The only point where it is too late to perform it is when the bounce animation has already started.

Thanks so much, I didn't know I had to told the button! No I can finally try to die a thousand times.

(Oh god, the music!)

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
how people still aren't aware of this is beyond me

Took me a while to become aware! When I played Skyrim on Switch I would switch to the Joy-Cons for every advanced lockpick (best use of HD rumble IMO) before I realized it worked with the Pro controller as well lol. It might be a little more subdued due to the size of the controller and the placement of the motors, but it works!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Tropical Freeze is really a different beast. Longer levels that intertwine gimmicks together, less clinging and barrel blasting sections, the addition of water levels, no mine cart surfing, etc. It doesn't retread too hard on Returns' ground.
Yeah, I was thinking on how DKCR has the time attack spiders level and how DKTF has nothing like this... until I realized that 5-3 has some sections with the same mechanic.
I like both games for different reasons, but the design in DKTF feels more refined to me.
I wonder what Retro can do in a 3rd entry, aside from using the Kremlings to use the nostalgia effect.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
No one talks about the actual instances that the original DKC fails in having expressive controls. A tap jump from the ground vs a held jump differs by like 10% height or less. There are plenty of uncancellable lag windows in DKC that you just have to learn to be aware of. When you pick up a barrel you cant jump for several frames. When Rambi auto horns something in DKC2, you cant jump, so dont run into an enemy near a ledge. You have an awkward stopping window at the end of a ground roll as Diddy and Dixie in DKC2, which you need to cancel with a jump or feel liks shit. If you try to go forward in these games blind, at a running pace, stuff like this will get you killed. When you were young and naive, you just learned all of it, before immediately jumping to the conclusion that the game is doing something wrong ( some of this stuff is wrong, tho).

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the refusal to lean too heavily on Returns' gimmicks is one of the greatest things about TF. It also allows DKCR to continue being its own thing and both games remain essential experiences for platformer fans.

I wonder what Retro can do in a 3rd entry, aside from using the Kremlings to use the nostalgia effect.

I feel World 6 in TF is the perfect send-off to this iteration of the DKC series, so if Retro doesn't have some truly special ideas up their sleeves for a third game, I hope they end it here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I feel World 6 in TF is the perfect send-off to this iteration of the DKC series, so if Retro doesn't have some truly special ideas up their sleeves for a third game, I hope they end it here.
A good idea would be DK and the crew going somewhere to find something instead of defending DK Island again from some random threat.
Like an adventure of discovery.

Mar 9, 2018
Retro's games have done a lot to emphasize speed and fast paced platforming. So one minor gameplay change I'd want to see to that end is no more bumping into walls, particularly underwater. It's really punishing and breaks the flow of the gameplay. I also want to see the roll function more like in the original games. In the original games, you could roll into an enemy streak and actually gain speed I think from doing that. It encouraged you to roll as an attack. Here, unless you have a partner kong, I think DK doesn't keep rolling through enemies. He can stop midway and I think that is also tripping some people up who played the original games. I think that little bit with how the roll worked in the original games also fits Retro's overall faster paced design.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Found the game not too challenging until World 5, then 6 kicks my butt. I think I'm going to try to get all the puzzle pieces and whatnot before doing to final boss and I assume there's a bonus world? Got stuck on the final boss when I played this on Wii U.

Also the level of creativity in this game is staggering. It never settles on one gimmick for multiple levels, constantly throwing new things at you. Only complaint is the boss stages, they're definitely fair but just a little too long to really be satisfying and definitely inferior to the regular gameplay. They feel like a barrier to more awesome platforming unfortunately.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it shouldn't retread too much on Return's gimmicks. However, there is so much design space left in the grab, pound, and barrel mechanics that I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't expand upon them. Zip lines were a great addition that works well with the grab button. Plucking was another mechanic tied to the grab button; however, it was basically featured in the same way the ground pound was in DKCR: as either a cinematic gate opener or a chest opener. I'm fine with it having these characteristics - it does a much better job of it than blowing. I just want it to have dynamic gameplay implications as well. Like how the Pound was used in Forest Folly or Blowhole Bound. I think the Pluck Ring could've been attached to horizontal vines or ropes to signify that you could pull them. I can imagine creating pullies or revving up contraptions or preparing a huge vine to swing on before the platform below you crumbles. Throwable barrels that roll could've been featured more. The fact that there was no K-level difficulty mine cart level was disappointing. 7-2, in general, is a waste of a level that brings down world 7. How is there not a dual track mine cart level with switches like Treacherous tracks or Switcheroo that activate the tracks? How is there not an arcade DK homage level yet? Also the fact that when barrel cannons are mostly used to break up the pace is disappointing - though they do that job very well. But even that DKCR did better, with the longshot launch feeling much better in that level than in Cannon Canyons and the cathartic feeling of being launched at bouncy flowers that ping pong you back onto the stage to immediately resume rolling at full speed (though Jelly Jamoboree also did this pretty well). Something as simple as the optional Up Arrow barrel in Frosty Fruits that wasused to collect lines of banana and a puzzle piece was a breath of fresh air. Finally, a barrel that was part of the environment that wasn't a one-way ticket to the next part of the level.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Finished world 4 last night and I'm somewhat disappointed with the game so far. It looks good, sounds good, and feels good to play, but the level design has largely felt anemic. Returns (which I was a big fan of) had the same problem, where everything prior to world 4 felt like a tutorial, and then suddenly the gloves came off. There were some fun sections in the first few worlds there, and the same is true here, but even if the rest of the game is full of batshit insanity, I've only got two worlds (and the K stages, hard mode, etc) left at this point. I was hoping the gloves would come off earlier here, given both the smaller world count and the fact that the basic gameplay is no longer new to many players, but that hasn't been the case at all. Most of the game has been easy to the point of approaching trivial, even beyond the halfway point. Like, hard mode time trial speedruns may be the greatest thing ever, but the initial hooks are still necessary.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So, I'm like really really bad at 2D platformers and get frustrated easily. Will I be able to enjoy the game nevertheless in funky mode without being frustrated?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So, I'm like really really bad at 2D platformers and get frustrated easily. Will I be able to enjoy the game nevertheless in funky mode without being frustrated?
You might still run into some frustrating sections, but the ability to use the boost items on the fly in levels (which really should have always been the default...) and Funky's absurd mobility should make it possible to work through anything.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
A good idea would be DK and the crew going somewhere to find something instead of defending DK Island again from some random threat.
Like an adventure of discovery.

What about fleeing from somewhere? Like some crazy circus runned by some new kind of enemy troupe (birds?) that seeks the islands looking for other animals to force them to join the show. And by the end of the game you would discover that K.Rool and his crew had already been captured there too, explaining their absence from the series all these years. And maybe even the snowmads after their defeat could had been trapped there for the grand finale of the trilogy.

zerilli_dreaming_is_free.jpg