shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared the first half dozen or so levels so far. Loving it. Nice and fast paced, weapons pack a nice punch and the game doesn't waste time getting different enemies appearing. Can't wait to play more.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Cant find it on the ps store :(
->
It's not up on the NA stores but the EU stores (UK is what I've checked, linked in OP) are up on PSN.
dunno why PSN is so slow to update their stuff (try to see if it's any different by going there on your actual console, not the website if you're using that. cause that's how you get around it on Switch since their web-versions of the store haven't updated yet).

That OT is a beaut. Just needs a background MIDI playing.
well I do have the entire soundtrack embedded from the bandcamp link, so ... :)

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, this is just fantastic. My only experience with Doom 64 was playing it for 10 minutes at a sleepover when I was in elementary school. I love Doom, but never had a 64 of my own until just a couple years ago (without a CRT to play it on).

Gameplay-wise, this could be my favorite of the classic Doom games. The weapons so far feel so meaty and satisfying. I'm switching weapons regularly just because they all feel amazing. The regular shotgun just feels right.

I booted up Eternal first and played through one level of that, but I think I'm going to focus on 64 before I get back to that. Can't wait for the new chapter.

Oct 27, 2017
->

dunno why PSN is so slow to update their stuff (try to see if it's any different by going there on your actual console, not the website if you're using that. cause that's how you get around it on Switch since their web-versions of the store haven't updated yet).

well I do have the entire soundtrack embedded from the bandcamp link, so ... :)
Thanks it show up on the console store itself.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
It has quicksave. Check your binds.

You can zoom the map out, same binds menu. If you are playing on Switch or PS4 you can even do it using pinch gestures.
Didn't think to check the binds, thanks. And with binds being a thing I should be able to get the SNES controller up and running tonight after work

Jun 17, 2018
Anyone have Switch impressions. Likely going to grab it there too but wondered what the controls were like since both Doom 1 and 2 have some weird latency issue

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Played this for the first time last night while waiting for DOOM Eternal to unlock and it's a lot of fun. Was always put off by the graphics of the 64 original but the cleaned-up higher resolution (and brightened) visuals look great. Very creepy horror vibe, especially with the Aubrey Hodges OST. Will get around to a full playthrough once I'm done with my first playthrough of Eternal.

Only thing I want modded in is a reload animation for the pump-action shotgun. Those few frames of animation in the original Doom changed everything for me.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
God, this game is so good. It's a weird blend of high-detail sprites, N64-era blocky environments and blazing-fast framerates, and the art design is completely different from Classic DOOM, but boy does it feel great to play. I should probably just buy it on Switch though, I'd much rather tool around with it in handheld.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. What better way to pay homage to the very first website I designed exactly 20 years ago with those exact stupid animated torches n shit XD
Haha perfect.
On my very first site 21 years ago, this was the tiled background:
TVAk3gc.gif

And this was at the top of each page like a header:
YnBBCgz.gif

Don't forget to sign my guestbook:
XLdzYcM.gif

So you can imagine what that page looked like.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on PC, try lowering the resolution as far as it will go (640x480 for me) and enabling integer scaling if your graphics card supports it (my RTX 2080 does). IMO this really completes the retro vibes.

Curious about what people are listening to while playing. I'm not quite vibing with the ambient soundtrack here.

If I own every other Doom game on Steam, can I access any of their soundtracks through Steam to play while playing this?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Amazon delayed shipping Eternal until next week (understandably) so I'm hoping to dive into this tonight as they still sent me the preorder code.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Amazon delayed shipping Eternal until next week (understandably) so I'm hoping to dive into this tonight as they still sent me the preorder code.
It's a wonderful alternative to Eternal. In fact, I'd say it's almost the antithesis to Eternal, and would be a wonderful companion game. Both take different aspects of Doom and run with them wonderfully.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Haha perfect.
On my very first site 21 years ago, this was the tiled background:
TVAk3gc.gif

And this was at the top of each page like a header:
YnBBCgz.gif

Don't forget to sign my guestbook:
XLdzYcM.gif

So you can imagine what that page looked like.
Oh no, I think I remember that lightning strike lol
If I own every other Doom game on Steam, can I access any of their soundtracks through Steam to play while playing this?
Why not just play them through winamp/whatever the kids use these days to play music files

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
This is probably my favorite old school Doom game. I remember getting really far on N64 but never beating it. The sound fx and soundtrack are beyond incredible

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It's a wonderful alternative to Eternal. In fact, I'd say it's almost the antithesis to Eternal, and would be a wonderful companion game. Both take different aspects of Doom and run with them wonderfully.

I actually played through Doom 64 back in the day... with cheats... and map mode because I was a chicken.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Just bought the game. Cost less than 2€ when using gold points.

Haven't played the game since N64 days. Let's see how memory serves.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm in the mood for some doom. Beaten my backlog and want something new to play, for five bucks, I may bite on the switch version

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I would love to see a video analysis of this version, doom 64, and doom 64 ex. Sure most of it might go over my head but it would be an interesting watch to see the differences between all versions and how they might handle things differently. Anyway congrats to nightdive on a good port of the game, they have really been killing it lately with all these awesome updated versions of games.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Is there any reason that anti-aliasing is default "off" in the menu? And has anyone toyed around with the FOV setting on console?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
So yea, up to level 10 and so far this is better than Doom 1 and 2. My only real gripe is the super shotgun doesn't have that cool reload animation after every shot. It feels stiff but it still packs a punch.

Is there any reason that anti-aliasing is default "off" in the menu? And has anyone toyed around with the FOV setting on console?

I haven't touched the AA on X but considering there are no jaggies at this resolution I see no reason to put it on.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Couple of levels in on the default difficulty and seems pretty easy so far, might restart on a higher one

Played Doom 1+2 recently and all the new engine tricks they can do with this are pretty neat

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on PC at 144 FPS. Feels great.

I've actually never played this before. Impressively dark and ominous as far as the overall atmosphere and visual style. Makes the original game feel happy in comparison.