• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully, there is more variety in Doom eternal. Judging from the previews it does. Disliking the weapon mods and upgrade system as it will slow down the combat.

Doom 2016 was great in short bursts but felt a lot repetitive in its combat and environments

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hmm, think I might need to do an Ultra Violent 100% run of Doom 2016 on Xbox One X to prepare for this bad boy. Would be my 4th 100% playthrough of the game.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Skipped around a bit in the Giant Bomb video, looks good. Platforming looks kind of.. Unnecessary, but I welcome the movement upgrades wholeheartedly. A dash like they're showing here would've made Doom 2016 better for sure.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Best sentence...

zGg00S0.png

Is this the first time a character has referred to the Doom Slayer as "Doom Slayer" or "Doom Guy"?

Also does that confirm the Doom Slayer = Doom Guy theory?

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
A lot of the creatures movesets were polished up to be more defined. Hugo mentions that several of the existing creatures, on Doom 2016, could be dispatched by a well placed shot (or combo) of almost anything. This type of design brought the stellar gunplay to the forefront, but when done over and over like this can diminish the fun in the long haul.

The example he gives is the Mancubus.
In 2016 you could run up to him, give him the barrels of the super shottie to the chest and just run off to chase the next enemie.
This time around, if you run up to him he does an AOE attack that knocks you back, preventing you from dispatching him that way.
You will learn that a well placed grenade can stun him, and then you get the opening to take him out.

With this philosophy in mind, in Eternal, all the encounters have more depth and they teach you how to use a more extensive toolset to keep the pace and engagement always at a high level, without the grind of recurring to the same gameplan 80% of the time.

When you add that philosophy to the whole new toolkit of the Doom Marine, he hopes this time around that they have built a Doom specifically to be mastered.
You will have fun all the way there, but when you get your black belt in demon slaying, you will have even more fun instead of being bored.
Great, thanks.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre order locked and loaded, also redownloaded Doom 2016 may have to give that a run thru

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks exactly like I hoped it would; looks like it's improving all the issues I had with the original and then some.

I'm actually really curious how this will translate to the Switch version when that happens. The fact that the general presentation is way more "colorful" makes me think it might end up offsetting the inevitable visual downgrade, despite how much more detail they've added to the game.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great, however I'm not a big fan of platforming in FPS, hopefully they don't go too overboard with it. Day 1 regardless.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
GOTY right here. All that other stuff that got delayed to the fall is really just delaying the inevitable- losing to DOOM Eternal.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, but is Id Tech 7 the best performing engine in the industry? Even its predecessor seems to pump out visually amazing games with top-notch performance.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Given that my primary complaint about Doom 2016 was the lack of strategy and variety, Doom Eternal looks incredibly promising.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I must say that I'm not a big fan of the HUD and UI colors used in this Doom entry
But hey, we have the option to change them so that's fantastic

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was quite disappointed with Doom (2016). I don't know if I may have simply been in the wrong mood for it at the time, but it was like the video game equivalent of heavy metal. Monotonous, relentless, repetitive and basically all shoot shoot bang bang with little else.
Spoken exactly like someone who knows absolutely nothing about the genre.

Anyway, game looks tight.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, after watching some of this I definitely know it'll be a GOTY contender for me. The hub looks really cool.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
RIPATORIUM ?

Practive on demon held in the prison

lol

and we are going to use a giant mech suit, aren't we ?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time a character has referred to the Doom Slayer as "Doom Slayer" or "Doom Guy"?

Also does that confirm the Doom Slayer = Doom Guy theory?

first demon " stone " quote in the 2016 game was awesome because of this :

" He chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace. And with boiling blood he scoured the Umbral Plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. And those that tasted the bite of his sword named him... THE DOOM SLAYER "

holy shit, they are speaking of you ! They shit their pants talking about you

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if posted but in the Giant Bomb video they say that Doom Slayers base is literally called...

the Fortress of Doom.

Amazing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also the Third Person Cutscenes in the recent trailer weren't just a trailer thing.

You can see it in this preview where the camera does actually go into third person in a cutscene.

(Spoilers, if you want to go in completely blind)

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I am waiting for Daisy to somehow show up and setting up myself to disappointment.

gameplay looks okay though.

Anyway, i notice that "oof" is gone. For its functionality i think it is great to have that clearinfo on hit but eventually isnt very popular with many ppl i guess. Hope there is an option though.

Jun 17, 2018
Looking pretty good although not much different. That climbing animation looks pretty damn rough though! Hope they sort out the little things like that.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Cool :) I'm always a little hesitant to post Dutch links here, as our Dutch community is kind of small. Always open to feedback, so feel free to let me know what you think :)
The level you're at and the style you're using are great for a quick casual read (IGN is for casuals right?). You don't use difficult words and your sentences aren't overly long which makes reading your paragraphs very pleasant.

I have a question though. Are you obliged to only use a certain amount of words. If not, a few more sentences to give examples of the gameplay improvements over Doom 2016 would make your article amazing.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I must be the only person who never felt the guns were quite right in the last one. Felt like there was no impact or something. This looks great though.