• 75-79

Votes: 10 0.5%
  • <75

Votes: 10 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on replayability? I found it really disappointing in the first game that there was no New Game+ option to play through it all again (on a harder difficulty) with everything I had unlocked. Arcade Mode came later but also wasn't really what I was looking for. I ended up just playing through again on Nightmare, but wanna start on Nightmare this time and have some reason to keep playing even after finishing the campaign. Not sure the multiplayer is what I'm after, either.

There are a lot more collectibles this time around, including hidden challenge encounters and Slayer Gate. They expect you to replay levels to find everything. And then there are the Master levels, which are separate super-hard maps.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
2020-03-17_07_06_02-Metacritic_-_Movie_Reviews_TV_Reviews_Game_Reviews_and_Music_Reviews.png

maybe that quarantine isnt so bad after all?
Insane month, we haven't even gotten to HL:A yet either

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how long is the games average lenght?

I alternated between the 2nd and 3rd difficulty (out of 4, not counting Ultra-Nightmare) on my first playthrough. Getting about 70-80% of the secrets and challenges done and "rushing" the ending a little (it was past midnight when I started the last 3 levels and I was dying to see the ending) took me about 13 hours. But keep in mind that I wanted to progress, so every secret that was taking me more than a couple minutes to find I just decided to leave it for my 2nd run.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't necessarily agree that a game that's basically, "The first game, but more," is a knock against any sequel. I don't sign up for a sequel for something different.

That's a horrible trend I see with reviews. A sequel should be more of the same but better and improved.

No dig against any specific outlet but I see it pop up so frequently for sequels that it genuinly annoys me.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never touched the multiplayer or snapmaps this sounds really exciting to me. Do the new mobility options add a lot?

It feels a much more dynamic game, yeah. The dashes are an enormous change of pace already, as they allow you to outmanouver the enemies and make giant leaps. The battle arenas are also far wider and full of extra platforms, springs and whatnot that feel almost feel like battling demons in a Quake 3 Arena map. Throw in the double barrel shotgun's hook and some of the runes and it's basically Doom 2016 on steroids.

Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot more collectibles this time around, including hidden challenge encounters and Slayer Gate. They expect you to replay levels to find everything. And then there are the Master levels, which are separate super-hard maps.

Thanks for the information! Are the Master levels something that unlock after the campaign or along the way? Any idea how many there are?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda offers the codes, though. They should've refused to give console codes for non platform-specific outlets.

Again, you don't get it.

If you request a PS4 Key, you get a PS4 key.

There isn't any ''non platform specific outlets'' everyone specifies for which platform they request said key on. Bethesda isn't at fault with anything here.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a horrible trend I see with reviews. A sequel should be more of the same but better and improved.

No dig against any specific outlet but I see it pop up so frequently for sequels that it genuinly annoys me.

Doom Eternal does kinda tease you with some major changes that are about to happen, and then they just don't, really. Devs also talked about a campaign twice the length, but it only took me a couple more hours than Doom 2016 on my first try, not sure if it's because I am better at this formula now but it certainly doesn't feel twice as big all in all. It's a brilliant game, don't get me wrong, it's one of the best FPS campaigns ever made in my eyes. But with all the hype, the lengthy development (4 years!), the very thing the game hypes you up with... it just feels a tad too safe.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the platforming complaints will be as noticeable on PC with a mouse and keyboard. Watching some of the preview gameplay at times it looked harder to line up the jumps on a controller.

Great reviews and I can't wait to play it

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
What really saps Eternal, however, is the predictable way the campaign once again breaks down into combat bowls and platforming stretches that feel like they've been stripped at random from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. There are collectibles to unearth, some tucked in high alcoves or behind smashable walls, together with optional hidden battle chambers, but the alternation of shoot-out then jumpy bit then shoot-out is the same throughout.
Disappointing, but unsurprising. The individual strength of the searching sections and the combat sections should be enough to carry the game and make it hugely enjoyable, just like its predecessor, but the arena format sounds like it'll get old in time, just like last time.

Also not looking forward to even more unnecessary cheesy story from DOOM.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019

Agreed with this and what Doc Kelso said. I think fans of the original game in a series would be absolutely pleased to know that the sequel is bigger, badder, deeper, and with new mechanics & challenges sprinkled in. There's nothing worse than playing a sequel that over-manages the project to the point where the innovation and changes end up resulting in a game wholly different than the original. At that point ... just make a different game.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"More Collectibles" is not what I wanted. If anything there were too many in 2016.

Oct 25, 2017
Did any review specify PC hardware or performance? I'm curious what it takes to run it at 1440p120.

EDIT: Did find something:

www.game-debate.com

DOOM Eternal PC performance report - Graphics card benchmarks

DOOM Eternal hardware performance benchmarked, optimsation analysis and graphics options.

www.pcgamesn.com

Doom Eternal PC performance: the best hardware for higher FPS while splitting skulls

id makes another game that runs well on almost anything

Look possible on the 2070 Super, but it is going to sweat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the information! Are the Master levels something that unlock after the campaign or along the way? Any idea how many there are?

I personally expected to have a Master Level for each stage, but as of now there's only one as pre-order bonus and one for playing in the launch week. That's one feature I've found a bit underwhelming, especially considering progress isn't even properly tracked there? On the campaign maps it shows you your completion rate in terms of collectibles, what difficulty you completed them on last, and so on. Master Levels just sit there, tucked in their own little space with little reason to play them.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The train doesn't stop with March either. RE3 and FF7 first two weeks of April.
yeah holy shit

not to mention Last of Us and GoT not that far off from there, we still haven't even gotten deets on hidden bangers like Elden Ring + more info on next-gen consoles, seems like the industry is finally starting to ramp up after a 2 month nap

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the platforming complaints will be as noticeable on PC with a mouse and keyboard. Watching some of the preview gameplay at times it looked harder to line up the jumps on a controller.

Had no real issues with this other than a single jump late game

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Can you skip cutscenes when replaying levels?

You can skip most cutscenes while you're playing levels the first time, so yes.

Lining up the jumps is fine. It's the level design that's the problem with the platforming. It can sometimes be hard visually to figure out where you're supposed to jump or be going.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
They probably didn't enjoy it enough to recommend it. Woah how crazy

Like I said, the "Recommended" is also quite literally a rating on the site, which is Silver. Then you have Essential, which is Gold. It's not hard to think the guy here enjoyed it, didn't absolutely love it, so was comfortable giving it below silver.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on replayability? I found it really disappointing in the first game that there was no New Game+ option to play through it all again (on a harder difficulty) with everything I had unlocked. Arcade Mode came later but also wasn't really what I was looking for. I ended up just playing through again on Nightmare, but wanna start on Nightmare this time and have some reason to keep playing even after finishing the campaign. Not sure the multiplayer is what I'm after, either.
It was there? But you had to manually select the levels.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can skip most cutscenes while you're playing levels the first time, so yes.

Lining up the jumps is fine. It's the level design that's the problem with the platforming. It can sometimes be hard visually to figure out where you're supposed to jump or be going.
Sup Mike. You found that? I wasn't so much having that issue in the game. But I did have a couple issues in the late game on some of the coffin floating jumps :(

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I personally expected to have a Master Level for each stage, but as of now there's only one as pre-order bonus and one for playing in the launch week. That's one feature I've found a bit underwhelming, especially considering progress isn't even properly tracked there? On the campaign maps it shows you your completion rate in terms of collectibles, what difficulty you completed them on last, and so on. Master Levels just sit there, tucked in their own little space with little reason to play them.

Oh really? Only one or two master levels? I thought each level would have a master level variant to add to replayability. That sucks.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? Only one or two master levels? I thought each level would have a master level variant to add to replayability. That sucks.

My guess is that they're gonna add more throughout the months, but that's effectively only one if you play at launch without pre-ordering. Not that it's a particularly inspired mode or anything, but it's a shame it feels so limited for now.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I don't see many red flags stopping this from getting 9's and 10's. Maybe if the platforming sections don't shake out as well as they should? Otherwise it really just feels like a slam dunk.

My only complaint with the game is that it was sometimes too over the top, too hell bent on throwing more of everything at you all the time, not just in terms of enemies but tools and menus and systems, and that it kinda feels overstuffed at times. In some ways I actually really prefer Doom 2016, but I still liked Eternal enough to give it a 9, and I don't think most reviews are going to be drastically different.

Oct 28, 2017
It was there? But you had to manually select the levels.

That was replaying levels with what you had unlocked up until that point. You didn't have the abilities or guns you got after that level as far as I remember. I meant something more like a Souls game where NG+ is you keeping your same character with everything and the game is tuned for that additional difficulty with tougher / more varied enemies.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I can't stress enough how smart the additions are in terms of collectibles, extra challenges and whatnot. There's a lot of extra activities to do, but none feel as grindy as the ones in Doom 2016 (some of the runes and glory kill challenges were really stupid there), and most importantly between fast travels, cheat codes that don't disable progress and clear progressions and challenges that you can even pin on screen, it all feels very natural. There's maybe 2 challenges that felt a bit too specific given the limited chances you get to pull them off in a single map, but it's a huge step-up from Doom 2016 in that too.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Disappointing, but unsurprising. The individual strength of the searching sections and the combat sections should be enough to carry the game and make it hugely enjoyable, just like its predecessor, but the arena format sounds like it'll get old in time, just like last time.

Also not looking forward to even more unnecessary cheesy story from DOOM.

Comparing it to Sands of Time reads like high praise to me tbh. Though I get the complain, never notice that kinda stuff in games myself though.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing it to Sands of Time reads like high praise to me tbh. Though I get the complain, never notice that kinda stuff in games myself though.

Also keep in mind the game is not quite punishing in terms of platforming. Falling off a ledge nets you a 10-30 HP or so of damage (depending on the difficulty), so if you fail a couple times you don't throw it all away. Compare this to Doom 2016, where an Ultra-Nightmare run could vanish because you missed a jump.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Is this the most stacked month gaming has ever seen?

Ori and the WIll of the Wisps - 90 MC (March 11th)
Nioh 2 - 86 MC
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 91 MC
Doom Eternal - 90 MC
Persona 5 Royal - 96 MC
Resident Evil 3
Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10th)

All those games released within a 30 day period.