Oct 27, 2017
Everyone here already has hit the right notes. There was a time and place to speak. She didn't choose it. She has blood on her hands.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, y'all wonder why she didn't speak up but I'm starting to wonder if y'all knew just how corrupt this man was. Trump's base threatened the life of everyone that didn't do what he wanted. Maybe that's why? I mean, I get it. It's fun to dogpile and hate on people but damn. You sit here and ask why somebody would listen to trump if they didn't want to and there's a topic about the threats on Fauci's family's life. Y'all hate on this woman for being a coward but weren't y'all just talking about escaping America if Trump won?
I'm not saying she's blameless or excused but damn. It's not hard to see.
Yes She's a fucking coward. This?:

For those questioning why some of us are being hard on her, here's a good nearly 11m takedown of her with receipts

This shit is cowardice. And the issue isn't simply that she did participated in a lie to millions of citizens but that she is now trying to rehabilitate her image like the CNN segment says. She'd win more points if she at least admitted she was a sycophant who wanted to keep her job and avoid retribution from within or outside of the WH but like too many of the people coming out of the administration, she wants people to pat her on the back for not being as bad as some other craven loyalist Trump could have replaced her with who would have shat on stage and ate it at Trump's order. It's not "fun" to dog on her for this. I'm not getting off of admonishing her. People are fucking angry because hundreds of thousands of people have and continue to die not just because of the top level lies out of the mouth of Trump himself but because of the seemingly minuscule acts of inaction and apathy and disinformation participated in by the people in his orbit. Like others have said, she's a doctor who supposedly swore an oath to do no harm and her actions last year were in complete contradiction to that goal. Her only patient of any priority seemed to be Trump's ego & her career. No shit it sucks to be persecuted even when you do the right thing but doing the right thing under threat from people who don't give a shit about the truth is what makes one admirable. Birx wants to be seen as admirable despite not doing the actual admirable thing.

BTW the people you're admonishing about wanting to leave the country if Trump won aren't doctors addressing a pandemic that threatens the lives of millions. Remaining in America isn't a job for people neither is addressing America's myriad problems particularly if one is part of a marginalized group being victimized by those problems.

Jan 18, 2018
Yes She's a fucking coward. This?:

This shit is cowardice. And the issue isn't simply that she did participated in a lie to millions of citizens but that she is now trying to rehabilitate her image like the CNN segment says. She'd win more points if she at least admitted she was a sycophant who wanted to keep her job and avoid retribution from within or outside of the WH but like too many of the people coming out of the administration, she wants people to pat her on the back for not being as bad as some other craven loyalist Trump could have replaced her with who would have shat on stage and ate it at Trump's order. It's not "fun" to dog on her for this. I'm not getting off of admonishing her. People are fucking angry because hundreds of thousands of people have and continue to die not just because of the top level lies out of the mouth of Trump himself but because of the seemingly minuscule acts of inaction and apathy and disinformation participated in by the people in his orbit. Like others have said, she's a doctor who supposedly swore an oath to do no harm and her actions last year were in complete contradiction to that goal. Her only patient of any priority seemed to be Trump's ego & her career. No shit it sucks to be persecuted even when you do the right thing but doing the right thing under threat from people who don't give a shit about the truth is what makes one admirable. Birx wants to be seen as admirable despite not doing the actual admirable thing.

BTW the people you're admonishing about wanting to leave the country if Trump won aren't doctors addressing a pandemic that threatens the lives of millions. Remaining in America isn't a job for people neither is addressing America's myriad problems particularly if one is part of a marginalized group being victimized by those problems.
Yeah man Someone already enlightened me on this but I get ya. A lot of times I post and don't fully think shit through. I hear you

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
All the experts fauchi included who stayed silent during all of this are a disgrace.

Fauci didn't remain silent. It's why the White House released oppo on him to the media, why we started seeing him less and less in briefings, and why they limited his TV appearances. He told Rachel Maddow that they banned him from appearing on her show.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting distinction that Fauci mentioned in his NYT interview yesterday is that he didn't work for the White House, while Birx did. Fauci also basically said that Scott Atlas replaced Birx in the White House, though they kept her on in title, she stopped being invited to briefings, rarely met with Trump, and was effectively replaced -- somethign that the White House officially denied on August 14, but in retrospect was clearly true.

The Fauci interview was good, he gets into the Birx stuff at the end of it.

www.nytimes.com

Fauci on What Working for Trump Was Really Like (Published 2021)

From denialism to death threats, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci describes a fraught year as an adviser to President Donald J. Trump on the Covid-19 pandemic.

She probably should have resigned at some point in the last year because she ended up becoming an enabler. And it's not like it paid off for her, Trump supporters turned on her immediately as soon as she lightly contradicted Trump.

All the experts fauchi included who stayed silent during all of this are a disgrace.

Fauci didn't remain silent.

He did every interview he was allowed to do and spoke truthfully, based on the science, in all of them. Trump resented how popular he became, and of course as we know now, his children and grandchildren were threatened, he had realistic threats against his life going back to March just weeks into the pandemic, and a Trump terrorist mailed a letter to his house that had white powder in it ... And he basically assumed it was Anthrax or Ricin and that he was dead.

Fauci is one of the great heroes of our age. He was the only person in the Coronavirus task force who was actually endorsing a science-based approach, and it's clear now that if he resigned the only difference that would have been made is that, arguably, more people would be dead and we would know less about Trump's intentional mishandling of the vius.

Last edited:

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know about that. Could they have done more? Perhaps. But better to be there, put your head down, and try to do your best, than resign and then some tool gets put in charge who could actually do damage. In a lot of ways his silence and commitment to the job was heroic given the threats to him and his family.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
An interesting distinction that Fauci mentioned in his NYT interview yesterday is that he didn't work for the White House, while Birx did. Fauci also basically said that Scott Atlas replaced Birx in the White House, though they kept her on in title, she stopped being invited to briefings, rarely met with Trump, and was effectively replaced -- somethign that the White House officially denied on August 14, but in retrospect was clearly true.

The Fauci interview was good, he gets into the Birx stuff at the end of it.

www.nytimes.com

Fauci on What Working for Trump Was Really Like (Published 2021)

From denialism to death threats, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci describes a fraught year as an adviser to President Donald J. Trump on the Covid-19 pandemic.

She probably should have resigned at some point in the last year because she ended up becoming an enabler. And it's not like it paid off for her, Trump supporters turned on her immediately as soon as she lightly contradicted Trump.

He also defends Birx in this Atlantic interview.

Then, he brings in Scott Atlas [as a pandemic adviser], who was a complete foil to poor Debbie Birx. I felt so bad for her, because he completely undermined her. He didn't undermine me, because I didn't give a shit about him. I didn't really care what he said, because my home base was [the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, where he has been the director since 1984]. But Deb's home base was the White House.

Nicholas: She gave an interview recently in which she criticized aspects of the Trump administration's response to the pandemic. Should she have spoken out more forcefully at the time?

Fauci: She's a close friend of mine. It's a tough situation. I will defend her. Unlike the situation that the FDA commissioner [Stephen Hahn] and the CDC director [Robert Redfield] and I were in, she had to live in the White House. She had to be there every minute of the day with these people. You've got to take that into consideration when you judge how much she did or did not push back. She told me multiple times, "Tony, this is the worst, most painful 11 months of my entire life."

I certainly sympathize given his position -- someone else mentioned this, but I highly doubt she didn't consider her life being under threat if she dared contradict Trump -- but yeah, she ended up being nothing more than an enabler.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He also defends Birx in this Atlantic interview.

I certainly sympathize given his position -- someone else mentioned this, but I highly doubt she didn't consider her life being under threat if she dared contradict Trump -- but yeah, she ended up being nothing more than an enabler.

Yeah I'm of two minds on Birx. She was just unqualified to deal with a personality like Trump's, unable to push back against his blatant disregard for science and experts, and because he was her boss she ended up enabling him and lending some legitimacy to his clearly ridiculous claims.

Ultimately I think she was bad for the position she was in, and the only reason she survived past April or May was because she was bad at it. If she was more capable at pushing back at her boss I think she would have been fired as she eventually was informally in August.

I sounds like fauci generally feels bad for her, and while I think she enabled and apologized for Trump, it was out of incompetence more than malice. But maybe I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt more than she deserves.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah I have no sympathy for her. She chose to remain silent and allow the president and his cronies to spread misinformation which has killed hundreds of thousands of people. She chose her paycheck over the safety of Americans.