• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Well, Dr. Disrespect is an American, performing for an American/Western audience. In America, and much of the west, all people of color experience and suffer from racism.
I'm not denying that, it's a well known problem, but it's not about US-asians, he's facing chinese players... from china. PUBG has exploded in china and they usually have a terrible laggy connection from what I've heard. Same for russian Dota 2 players.The problem are missing matchmaking server for each region. That's the whole gist behind it. You play in eu/us and everybody talks english and then you only hear russian / chinese in chat and voice chat. That is what is mocked usually.

Oct 30, 2017
So if a character is written just to embody a racist stereotype, I'd criticize the writer behind it. I'd also criticize most actors who take that role without question. A streamer, even if we're treating them as an actor (which I diagree with, but hey, let's follow your premise), is the writer, editor, AND actor. They've injected every aspect of that "role." If this is their output, boy oh boy does it reflect poorly on them.

Yes, they're racist if they're doing this with ANY sort of regularity through their work.

Are you trying to say his character is Asian and a stereotype of that or what? Cause he plays a white dude bro American flag wearing asshole.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I don't have a "clean accent", i live in Italy but i also speak arabic, so yes, my accent is kinda awkward.
When people make fun of "Italian accent" i laugh as well, i have 0 problems.

I used to be in your position as well until I came to UK to study.

I can assure you that it will get tiring very fast hearing that in a foreign country.

Oct 30, 2017
So if that's the way we're going with this, then it doesn't change anything. "Dr. Disrespect, the character, is being called racist towards Asians. Said character is a heavy influence on young adults and is promoting racism."

Should there not be outrage if Barney the Dinosaur suddenly is making "ching chong wing wong" noises and pulling his eyes back? I mean, it's just a character!! The actor isn't actually racist.

You are putting words in my mouth. Read the comment I was replying to. Context.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first post in this thread, but I think the comedian analogy should be further discussed.

IMO that's a valid and legitimate analogy.

Because let's all face it everyone -- don't yall think a lot of those Twitch streamers are intentionally trying to be funny/comedic in regards to their stream persona? They're obviously not being serious, at least for the ones like this guy or PDP.

<edit> Also the analogy for different American accents is also valid. I make fun of thick southern accents all the time. But somehow I believe most of the ERA/GAF type demographic would be okay with making fun of that.

It's an easy discussion.

Don't punch down.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Are Chinese people allowed to mock an American or British (etc.) accent?

Legally. Yes.
Socially. They'd still be a dick. Especially if this was in China where Americans/British people would be the minority. Since Americans in China would be open to the same issues racism against POC in their home country would be.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
dc4.gif

I'm off-topic here, but Etika would be far from my first choice for a "good" streamer.

Oct 25, 2017
Asian here. This is tricky. His actions are offensive. On ther other hand, his entire character is satirical. Sort of like Colbert. Except much of two-time's audience are kids who may not get that.

It is problematic I guess. But this guy's catchphrase is "violence, speed, momentum." Openly promoting violence? It is obviously a parody. Maybe they can do better at age-gating his content.

This is my thing. I don't care what he does on his Twitch stream. He can be the biggest, racist piece of shit he wants to be. I don't have to watch. Although I do have issue with the audience it attracts and how it normalizes shit.

My issue is platforms like Twitch and other companies actively promoting this man or jumping on the bandwagon of his return when he's been doing this shit.

It just says a lot about a platform like Twitch who talks about inclusiveness and diversity and even doing a spotlight for black streamers for BHM. To also on the same token promote this man who's mocking a language and a people.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive already said im not defending it, but how is it much different than stand up comedians who do it? I suppose the main difference is young viewership of his stuff so I can see that being a problem.
I think that standup comedian doing it also pretty racist and dumb. It's important to take into account the racial hierarchy of one's society. A black mocking white society in the US is not the same than the otherway around.

I mean, i know my accent is english is kind of funny but you have to be really rude to just make fun of how a stranger speak.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The English/British accent commands the most authority/prestige out of any on the planet lol.

Not quite the same as mocking a group of people for not being able to speak it clearly and fluently . One is clearly punching up and the other punching down.
What if he speaks in a cockney accent?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Comedians are critiqued. DrDisrespect is being critiqued.

This is true, and can I agree with that. However, this thread should not only be those in agreement with the OP right? Critique should involve both sides.

I've watched the video. He's not making a joke. He's aggressively mocking. That is not the same as joking. That argument doesn't actually apply here.

I also watched the video. So our conclusions just differ then, because I didn't think it was that serious.

Also I don't know if this matters, but I'm 100% racially chinese (although I'm born and bred in the US). If I can remember my imgur password, I can take a picture of myself right now with this thread in the background as proof.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This is true, and can I agree with that. However, this thread should not only be those in agreement with the OP right? Critique should involve both sides.
See your post sounds stupid because it implies that posts disagreeing with the OP are being censored and removed. Users who have thread whined or claim people are being outraged have been warned or banned because they have not added anything to the discussion.

You should be more thoughtful in your future posting.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but he hasn't been massive for the entire time.

I would venture to say that he's gotten most of his following within the last year, so I doubt it has much of anything to do with his loyal userbase aging with him.

I don't believe that at all. Like most of these internet content fads, he benefited from being there "first" and has acknowledged that himself. Most of his success is based on being pretty much the first one in the youtube space to make it big on videogames. There's no way he's only now having success with how crowded that space is now.

Not to take away from his effort to develop his position into what and where he is now, but I do not for a second believe his brand is significantly growing in 2017 compared to his earlier years. By this point most people know who he is and have made up their minds about him.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm not denying that, it's a well known problem, but it's not about US-asians, he's facing chinese players... from china. PUBG has exploded in china and they usually have a terrible laggy connection from what I've heard. Same for russian Dota 2 players.The problem are missing matchmaking server for each region. That's the whole gist behind it. You play in eu/us and everybody talks english and then you only hear russian / chinese in chat and voice chat. That is what is mocked usually.

I don't think that really matters though? He's making fun of Chinese people in a way that degrades and stigmatizes them for an audience that lives in a part of the world where average chinese people don't have much cultural power. It's punching-down.

Oct 28, 2017
It's an easy discussion.

Don't punch down.
Is he punching down when he's mocking Chinese gank squads calling themselves "The Red Army" that roam around in packs of 10-20 people during FFA Battle Royale modes, many of them using hacks as they kill everyone in sight and shout "CHINA NUMBER ONE" when he messes with them and says "TAIWAN NUMBER ONE" in a fake accent?

I don't see that as malicious at all. I also don't see his complaints against Chinese players as malicious either considering that they're laggy as hell and not ideal to play with. I play these games. It's a huge concern for the community. Restrict servers by latency so I'm not trying to shoot someone that is getting 400-500ms ping.

This thread removed important context.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Why do people call this an accent? Dude is literally going all 'Ching chong' - that's racist no ifs or buts.

Also, don't imitate a non-native speaker's accent when you talk to them, it's also fucking disrespectful – doubly so if they're not close friends (and even then some people like me don't like it under any circumstance).

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Nah. White people can experience prejudice from minorities, but they can't experience racism. Racism describes a system of disadvantage based on race. When we say that a joke is racist, that means that it perpetuates that system.

I disagree with this I think we need a new word to describe this. Racism already is used by most people to mean discrimination based on race.
The whole systematic thing totally exists but I think it needs a new word seperate from racism to describe it.
That way we don't have to define the word whenever we use it because not everyone sees it the same way.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I also watched the video. So our conclusions just differ then, because I didn't think it was that serious.

Also I don't know if this matters, but I'm 100% racially chinese (although I'm born and bred in the US). If I can remember my imgur password, I can take a picture of myself right now with this thread in the background as proof.
Hah no I'll take take your word for it. And what people find offensive, even at stuff that's aimed towards them, definitely can differ from person to person. We are products of our environment.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
User Warned: Ignoring a mod post.
I honestly don't get it. You can't even do a voice now. I know you can't say this, there's already a post about it from the mod, but this is the ERA/GAF outrage mentality at its best. He speaks a fake chinese, sometimes a fake spanish. Is it really something to be offended by? I know he is considered a piece of shit because of his personal life, so the jugdement is already here, but we should take a step back.

inb4 "you should take a step back"

I'm italian, the all internet makes fun of our gestures, accent, "It's a me Mario". Who cares. Why take everything so seriously?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't define this as racist at all. It's offensive because he's making fun, but I wouldn't escalate this to racism.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't expect much from someone named dr. Disrespect but cheating and rascidm is still pretty bad

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is called Dr. Disrespect... so there's that

And mocking chinese people... is unfortunately a form of racism that is not as seen in the same light if it were done to another minority group.

He will get away with it, and it wil be fogotten in no time unfortunately.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's offensive but I don't think it's racist.
That's what I think as well. And I'll admit, I sometimes use a southern accent to mock conservatives/republicans. That's not racist either, but it is definitely offensive to both my intended target and to people who speak with that accent who also happen to be liberals.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

PUBG NA lobbies are full of children and adult children repeating the "China numba one" meme. It was getting so obnoxious that I ended up turning off voice chat.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
Is he punching down when he's mocking Chinese gank squads calling themselves "The Red Army" that roam around in packs of 10-20 people during FFA Battle Royale modes, many of them using hacks as they kill everyone in sight and shout "CHINA NUMBER ONE" when he messes with them and says "TAIWAN NUMBER ONE" in a fake accent?

I don't see that as malicious at all. I also don't see his complaints against Chinese players as malicious either considering that they're laggy as hell and not ideal to play with. I play these games. It's a huge concern for the community.

Is this satire? So racism is ok as long as the receiving end is doing shitty things?

I get that you guys are fans, but you really lack perspective.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I have a slight "working class" accent. And I've been poor my whole life (Still waiting for that White Privilige cheque).

Americans think we all talk like the queen or something.

Right. That's my point.

People all think you talk like royalty vs......well.....what Dr. Disrespect is doing for Asian people. Or Ugandan Knuckles for Ugandans/Africans.

You got the best deal possible there. Your form of mockery is flattering at worst. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.