• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
lol they aren't going to make blocking 100% manual in a game where you can call both assists together and everyone can IAD

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Unlocking Goku SSB is near impossible, Namco really went loco with the Hard mode. Need to win 7 fights, but been on fight 4 for about 1 hour now. Facing a team of SSB Blue, SSB Vegeta and Trunks who are just broken

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what the fuck to do with my life till next Friday. This last week is gonna feel so slow.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't autoblocking crossups while in blockstun the norm?

That's not what happened in the .GIF though. The tweet says that he's holding block the same way the entire time, and Krillin never actually attacks. It seems the game checks your block when the assist is called and counts it as a block regardless of where the opponent's point character is by the time it hits.

Dec 9, 2017

gallery-1497387446-funeral-etiquette-black.jpg

We are gathered here today....

Damn. Some of the popular FGC guys were already talking shit about this game to begin with. This is just more fuel for them.
When they hear about this, The game is practically dead.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlocking Goku SSB is near impossible, Namco really went loco with the Hard mode. Need to win 7 fights, but been on fight 4 for about 1 hour now. Facing a team of SSB Blue, SSB Vegeta and Trunks who are just broken
This is what DrDogg said of unlocking the blues.
So we have two different stories on this? Or am I misreading?

Isn't autoblocking crossups while in blockstun the norm?
Yes, but the cross-up is happening before blockstun in that video.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the bypass for that was to simply double your crossups?
Here's how it worked, quoting the Dustloop wiki.
Crossup Guard
Certain characters can easily perform very ambiguous crossups with their personas. As a small aid against this, for 2 frames after the opponent passes to the other side of you, you are allowed to block their attacks holding either towards them or away from them. This also applies when you are in an unspecified amount of blockstun during a cross-up, preventing unblockable left-right mix-ups.
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=P4AU/Defense#Crossup_Guard

So basically, it didn't stop crossups, it just stopped the lowest effort crossups.
I'd imagine something similar is going on here because the devs don't want Assist > IAD to be pretty much the only mixup we see.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol @ cross-up protection

Do you guys have any fucking clue how stupid this game would be if assists could cross you up like that

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ cross-up protection

Do you guys have any fucking clue how stupid this game would be if assists could cross you up like that

Stupid can be fun.

But speculating that cross-up protection may kill a game before the game's even out where we can properly test things is stupid and not fun.

yeah

the whole meta would be jumping over people while calling an assist from one side. That would be boring as fuck.
With the massive assist cooldowns, I doubt it would have been a major issue.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For non-tournament competing players, it really doesn't matter if this game stays in EVO or not. Fighting games are not just for the highly competitive players.

What matters is that the game is fun to play and it is.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stupid can be fun.

But speculating that cross-up protection may kill a game before the game's even out where we can properly test things is stupid and not fun.

With the massive assist cooldowns, I doubt it would have been a major issue.

Well yeah, it would be fun in a Mahval sort of way, which i'm personally glad DBFZ is already shying away from.

I mean you can already spend 1 bar to left-right someone, the game gives you EZ IAD, and the amount of characters with built-in high/low or innate crossup threats is honestly a bit surprising as it is.

Actually, I have it on authority from notorious good opinion haver Flash Metroid that this kind of mix-up is essential for a game to have a flourishing competitive scene like MvCI.

Yuck.

Dec 9, 2017
For non-tournament competing players, it really doesn't matter if this game stays in EVO or not. Fighting games are not just for the highly competitive players.

But don't you want this game to be taken seriously like the others?
Sure being fun game to play is #1....but it deserves to share the spotlight with the other eSports games. Being at EVO, would give this game the respect it deserves.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
XV3 is actually gonna end up being doper than most people think I'd say. Sure this game will be amazing but for another experience people will throw in that XV3 especially when it comes with all those ToP titans.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
XV3 is actually gonna end up being doper than most people think I'd say. Sure this game will be amazing but for another experience people will throw in that XV3 especially when it comes with all those ToP titans.

I could not possibly care less about anyone from the Tournament of Power, so they'd need to really make some massive changes to basically every single aspect of XV's core design to make me spend money on a third game. God, 2 was such a chore to get through.

I remember when the original game was first announced and they were kind of billing it as sort of a Dragon Ball RPG. Shame it didn't turn out that way in practice.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the weirdos who like both, so yeah, I agree. The extra development time compared to Xenoverse 2 will make a difference.

Nov 11, 2017
DBZ games work on the rule of 3. For the most part the 3rd game in the series is usually the best.
Budokai 3, Tenkaichi 3, and buu's fury were the best for those particular series so I have no doubt XV3 will be dope.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So I finished the 7 course Arcade mode on Hard, took me a little over 2 hours and I got an overall grade of fucking C and so no Goku SSB unlocked (need grade A) :( in each fight I got S S A C C D C, once you lose a fight (and trust me you will) and retry, then you cant get higher than a C in that fight.
The AI on Hard mode has more health and deal more damage, if you get close to them in a fight they will combo your ass into multiple supers and take away 60-90% of your health. Even if you block low they will overhead you and still do big damage lol they only way I finished it was by spamming Super Dash into combos and supers

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I could not possibly care less about anyone from the Tournament of Power, so they'd need to really make some massive changes to basically every single aspect of XV's core design to make me spend money on a third game. God, 2 was such a chore to get through.

I remember when the original game was first announced and they were kind of billing it as sort of a Dragon Ball RPG. Shame it didn't turn out that way in practice.
Who do you like from Super?

I played a great amount of XV2. I had no problems with it personally. I also skipped XV1 so my experience was different for most others.
I'm one of the weirdos who like both, so yeah, I agree. The extra development time compared to Xenoverse 2 will make a difference.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. This extra development time is good. I forgot who said it but someone said it would have a lot of changes here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoverse 2 is a great game when you don't play it as a "Fighting Game" but play it as a "MMORPG".

As a huge MMORPG fan it's right up my alley.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

Eh

For namco it seems to matter , My understanding is they wanted this game to be hella competitive.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
So I finished the 7 course Arcade mode on Hard, took me a little over 2 hours and I got an overall grade of fucking C and so no Goku SSB unlocked (need grade A) :( in each fight I got S S A C C D C, once you lose a fight (and trust me you will) and retry, then you cant get higher than a C in that fight.
The AI on Hard mode has more health and deal more damage, if you get close to them in a fight they will combo your ass into multiple supers and take away 60-90% of your health. Even if you block low they will overhead you and still do big damage lol they only way I finished it was by spamming Super Dash into combos and supers
So getting the Blues is probably easier by just farming Zeni?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who do you like from Super?

I played a great amount of XV2. I had no problems with it personally. I also skipped XV1 so my experience was different for most others.

Beerus, Hit, and New 17 are all cool in my book. So basically, as far as new-to-Super characters go, just Hit. Everyone else ranges from mediocre-at-best to awful.

XV2 just felt like a DLC expansion for the first game, was my main issue with it. It was just as janky, just as clogged with loading times and network issues as the first game, and the gameplay didn't really feel any better. The less said about the raid battles and the superboss fights, the better. It just didn't feel stable, especially in multiplayer, which is paradoxically what it was designed around.

Then again, the only reason I finished the original Xenoverse itself was because of the alt-tab bug they patched out of the PC version. I miss that bug.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
About DBFZ having Cross-up protection...(imo anyway)

DBFZ seems to be going the Guilty Gear XRD route, where everyone is given some form of really stupid pressure/mixup utility innately in their kit. I think you rely less on exploiting the engine and more on just playing to your character's strengths, and the mechanics of the game help you do this (and defend against it as well by giving standard options for dealing with everyone's bullshit). This is why everyone has an airborne invulnerable 2C, a leaping overhead 6B, Frame-1 active deflect, ect.

Marvel never really feels like its designed this way, you commonly have characters on the roster that are so trash you have to wonder why they're even there. Finding working characters are more about finding teams with strategies that just break the game so hard that you just kind of have to deal with it..but it almost never feels like it's that way by deliberate design, the chips just kind of fall that way. That is essentially every fighting game's Meta, but Capcom games in particular are the only ones (IMO) where it just doesn't feel self-aware. Well, that and Smash Bros.

Anyway, Cross-up protection is just another way to avoid falling into those pitfalls unintentionally -- the game doesn't need cross-up protection for people to get hit by the options people have to open them up. Same with High/Low unblockables.

Now, Guilty Gear XRD to my knowledge also has some form of cross-up protection? But that's because it has characters like Millia who are literally designed with mixup so strong that you basically lost the round if she ever knocks you down in the corner. It's not to any detriment of the actual gameplay, it's designed around such things.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I want it to be a bigger joke than Yamcha
That's physically impossible.

Now, Guilty Gear XRD to my knowledge also has some form of cross-up protection? But that's because it has characters like Millia who are literally designed with mixup so strong that you basically lost the round if she ever knocks you down in the corner. It's not to any detriment of the actual gameplay, it's designed around such things.
I'm not entirely sure about that, a Millia player was doing the disc into IAD crossup and it kept working even when I did my best to block :(

though Under Night certainly has crossup protection but then again, that game also has this.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's physically impossible.

I'm not entirely sure about that, a Millia player was doing the disc into IAD crossup and it kept working even when I did my best to block :(

though Under Night certainly has crossup protection but then again, that game also has this.

I was literally thinking of this when i typed that lol because it absolutely works

then i saw this *shrug*

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I was literally thinking of this when i typed that lol because it absolutely works

then i saw this *shrug*

It would seem that that only applies on wakeup.

"AtTheGates notes below there is crossup protection in this game on wakeup - if the player holds forward (holding back won't work) he'll block both directions."

EDIT: To be fair, the Millia example I mentioned was also blown up by wakeup DPs with Ky that were done on the same side I originally was in so that means that true meaty crossups are not gonna work, they have to be delayed by at most a few frames.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Beerus, Hit, and New 17 are all cool in my book. So basically, as far as new-to-Super characters go, just Hit. Everyone else ranges from mediocre-at-best to awful.

XV2 just felt like a DLC expansion for the first game, was my main issue with it. It was just as janky, just as clogged with loading times and network issues as the first game, and the gameplay didn't really feel any better. The less said about the raid battles and the superboss fights, the better. It just didn't feel stable, especially in multiplayer, which is paradoxically what it was designed around.

Then again, the only reason I finished the original Xenoverse itself was because of the alt-tab bug they patched out of the PC version. I miss that bug.
Damn, no love for Whis? I thought he's great but understandable as those as some of the best new characters. Why don't you like Goku Black?

But yeah I can understand why you'd dislike XV2 as those were some of the concerns I've heard from others. I'm sure my experience would be different if I didn't play XV1 or at least a little different. Last I heard someone said they were really changing things around with XV3 and making it more legit so we'll see if those rumors were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.