• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Since Broly's backstory isn't quite compatible with Minus I'm very curious to see what his new backstory is. What are his motivations? What's his goal?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Broly isn't canon? But will be canon with this movie? What's the deal here?
The original 13 Z movies are not part of Toriyama's continuity.
Toriyama is taking the idea of Broly and rewriting him into what might be pretty much a new character. So this is Broly, but it's not the Broly from the Z movies because he doesn't exist in Super.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
EGqTAqw.jpg

Soon, Era. A new Z fighter after whatever skirmish the cast face.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The meltdowns are hilarious, I mean is unnecessary? Of course but so was Super. Enjoy it for what it is, dumb entertainment, the series shoud've ended with the Freeza saga or even the Piccolo saga. It got pretty ridiculous after Freeza but you could still enjoy it for what it was, then they revived it and it was even more ridiculous but you could enjoy certain aspects. Same thing here.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
hm, so the first arc in the new anime once it comes back will be expanded Broly then.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So basically

Toriyama makes Broly a better character and makes him a wild card for future battles: Movie makes a fuck ton of money

Toriyama keeps Broly as a stupid meathead because Goku cried: Movie makes a fuck ton of money

Is this correct?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody who loves Broly likes dude because of his story lol. He's loved because he was wrecking everyone at the same time, his look, he's a brawler and the fact that he didn't give a damn what people thought lol. Now we're getting Broly back with the same look, better story, he'll be canon now and he'll keep on wrecking shit.

This is amazing for Broly fans. I love this lol.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the broly hate? Because trashes everyone?

A lot of it seems to stem from how they perceive Broly's backstory.

Some people think he's mad because Goku, as a baby, cried next to him. But actually he is left for dead as a baby, used as a weapon by his father for revenge, mind controlled to keep him docile, and Goku's precense makes him recall his harrowing past, triggering him into anger.

I think the fact that the character had a mental devolution in his two subsequent film appearances leaves people with the impression that he was just a dumb killing machine, as opposed to the coherent sadist presented in movie 8.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody who loves Broly likes dude because of his story lol. He's loved because he was wrecking everyone at the same time, his look, he's a brawler and the fact that he didn't give a damn what people thought lol. Now we're getting Broly back with the same look, better story, he'll be canon now and he'll keep on wrecking shit.

This is amazing for Broly fans. I love this lol.
So ... Nappa.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it seems to stem from how they perceive Broly's backstory.

Some people think he's mad because Goku, as a baby, cried next to him. But actually he is left for dead as a baby, used as a weapon by his father for revenge, mind controlled to keep him docile, and Goku's precense makes him recall his harrowing past, triggering him into anger.

I think the fact that the character had a mental devolution in his two subsequent film appearances leaves people with the impression that he was just a dumb killing machine, as opposed to the coherent sadist presented in movie 8.
I can't speak for other people but for me he always just came off as a "cheap" character. There's another Saiyan and this one is the strongest of them all!! No one can beat him! And he's totally berserk! It always felt like the aspects people made fun of in DBZ the most condensed into one character. And then you have the FUNi dub with the over the top soundtrack etc. And he takes up 3 movies! I get why people like him but for me he was always just bleh.

Maybe this movie will change my mind.

Oct 27, 2017
So basically

Toriyama makes Broly a better character and makes him a wild card for future battles: Movie makes a fuck ton of money

Toriyama keeps Broly as a stupid meathead because Goku cried: Movie makes a fuck ton of money

Is this correct?

What is to say his backstory won't be changed? What is to say this isn't a broly from an alternate universe who has rampaged all over and is bored and now wants to fight a worthy opponent

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for other people but for me he always just came off as a "cheap" character. There's another Saiyan and this one is the strongest of them all!! No one can beat him! And he's totally berserk! It always felt like the aspects people made fun of in DBZ the most condensed into one character. And then you have the FUNi dub with the over the top soundtrack etc. And he takes up 3 movies! I get why people like him but for me he was always just bleh.

Maybe this movie will change my mind.

I can see how the simplicity of the character wouldn't resonate with everyone. But that would explain apathy, as opposed to the active dislike Broly gets. It does seem like people think he's undeserving of his status, criticizing his motivations, not realizing that he just facilitates the power fantasy of Dragon Ball Z (which, I suppose, might be made fun of), cranking it up to eleven, and that's why people like him.

He's just Dragon Ball Z Hulk.