Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's see if Super holds up. Taking the highs of ToP as starting point, it could become good. If super were to end at Top, then yes it's a bad show (imo ofcourse).

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a274f5c2f1796f3003e7ffd0bd7871a51f073cc5v2_hq.jpg

Zamasu should have waited for the ToP...
Now this is better

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit... I couldn't believe it when I've heard about it. Toyo just.... it's time to stop... like, seriously...... stop.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Kefla ties to Gohan & Master Roshi goes Ultra Instinct.
TBH if Roshi would have beaten Jiren, the manga might have been redeemed.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine Toyo taking on the anime as a writer....... yeah no. It's time to stop while there's still time......
There's literally zero chance of something like that happening. The manga can do constantly funny shit like this for all I care, at least it's not boring that way, and it won't affect enjoyment of the anime anyway

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take the guy who's trained for like a hundred years having access to UI and being Goku's inspiration over Goku learning shit from being swallowed by a black hole any day of the week lmao.

And I hate Roshi.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take the guy who's trained for like a hundred years having access to UI and being Goku's inspiration over Goku learning shit from being swallowed by a black hole any day of the week lmao.

And I hate Roshi.
they're both bullshit...but at least the first one isn't boring bullshit

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I see them as the opposite. The anime explanation is peak DB asspull nonsense while the manga's actually makes more sense considering what UI is inspired by, it's just that the idea of Roshi being the one doing is super goofy for some reason, despite making more sense than literally anyone else.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Eh, I see them as the opposite. The anime explanation is peak DB asspull nonsense while the manga's actually makes more sense considering what UI is inspired by, it's just that the idea of Roshi being the one doing is super goofy for some reason, despite making more sense than literally anyone else.

No. Sorry. No.

This is the same manga that showed up the centuries year old God of Destruction Beerus having trouble with UI.

The same Manga were a 1000 year old professional assassin was defeated by punches faster than time itself

There was zero importance or build up given to Roshi to earn this scene in this arc.

It's nothing short of a bad joke that Roshi just shows up and goes "these are just the basics" and proceeds to clown the biggest threat in the universe and then Goku goes "gotcha" and pulls the form out of his ass

Can it work? Sure under a competent writer.

Nothing here will even touch the anime's Henkidama scene OR Roshi's sacrifice in people's minds. This is yet another exposition heavy shit that just takes away from all characters involved and is just devoid of any kind of iconic imagery.

When you say "that time Goku used UI for the first time" People will remember this.
goku_vs_jiren_gif_by_catcamellia-dbvx146.gif

And never this.

Dk2ADM4UwAAfy1S.jpg

(BTW n_n>>>>>>>*:o)

Yes. Even you. No matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
1zHRtmX.jpg

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can it work? Sure under a competent writer.

Nothing here will even touch the anime's Henkidama scene OR Roshi's sacrifice in people's minds. This is yet another exposition heavy shit that just takes away from all characters involved.
But that's the thing, I'm not arguing execution (the manga barely executes anything right) but the very idea, which I think makes much more sense and it's fun to boot.

The anime is more hype because it had cool music, high production values and, well, it was animated. It was still dumb as hell and eyerolling to me, more than anything else in Super probably.

This Roshi thing is more "Wow that sounds really stupid lol... But it kinda makes sense? I love it."

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But that's the thing, I'm not arguing execution (the manga barely executes anything right) but the very idea, which I think makes much more sense and it's fun to boot.

The anime is more hype because it had cool music, high production values and, well, it was animated. It was still dumb as hell and eyerolling to me, more than anything else in Super probably.

This Roshi thing is more "Wow that sounds really stupid lol... But it kinda makes sense? I love it."

A Manga deviating from the anime CAN have it's own iconic imagery despite lacking animation or production values

Case in point:
edf5bc4ffe2ced8492de5cb5d95b03ab.jpg

And I hate EVANGELION Manga, but that scene is amazing and memorable because it changes the meaning of its anime counterpart, it also makes sense with the personality Shinji has in the manga and the state of mind he's been established to be in during this version of the events.

Toyotaro doesn't care about any of these things

Last edited:

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I basically hated how the Namekians were utilized in the anime, so that's saying something that they got wasted even more here. But it's par for the course, so meh
even funnier the entire namek population fused into two nameks to save the universe but were wished back anyway so the nameks are now merged alone on universe 6 namek for no reason WITH NO DRAGONBALLS

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
even funnier the entire namek population fused into two nameks to save the universe but were wished back anyway so the nameks are now merged alone on universe 6 namek for no reason WITH NO DRAGONBALLS
they never said it was all the namekians, they said it was every namekian who volunteered

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
A Manga deviating from the anime CAN have it's own iconic imagery despite lacking animation or production values

Case in point:
edf5bc4ffe2ced8492de5cb5d95b03ab.jpg

And I hate EVANGELION Manga, but that scene is amazing and memorable because it changes the meaning of its anime counterpart, it also makes sense with the personality Shinji has in the manga and the state of mind he's been established to be in during this version of the events.

Well, it helps that Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has an accomplished art background which means he has a firm grasp of character design and composition while Toyotaro

doesn't.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was when the anime committed the apparent sin of letting Future Trunks do stuff during the Black arc
Man, Future Trunks didn't do BS in anime, I don't know what people are talking about.

SS Rage seemed BS but like, he never truly beat Black or Zamasu with it. And Spirit Sword? Fused Zamasu didn't die, he killed everyone in world. They had to call Zeno to beat him lol.

Future Trunks never did any BS that had lasting impact. Maybe if he had beaten Black fair & square if he destroyed Fused Zamasu completely, but he didn't.

Now him being a healer automatically because he was a Kaioshin in training is dumb.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Where did "manga has better power scaling" even come from?

It was mainly these points that really shaped that view:

• Piccolo handling Frost without trouble in the U6 tournament in the anime while using only one hand, while the manga made it clear he had no chance and was just delaying the fight to tire Frost (Keep in mind that at the time the usual view was that base Goku should be at least around Z-level SSJ3 - like the anime itself would clearly demonstrate in the Copy Vegeta arc too).
  • After fighting in base to conserve energy in the anime (against Hit), Goku then uses SSB with no issue and even stacks kaioken on top of it, which makes that initial moment odd. Meanwhile, in the manga, after starting in a very similar way, Goku's entire strategy for the fight is to hold back and conserve power until unleashing all of his power in a single attack, keeping the energy consumption theme going.
  • Then, in the anime, Trunks - even before Rage - kept up with SSJ Rose Black for one scene.

This is about the point where people who dislike the manga started calling "gotcha!" about stuff like Trunks' "I wasn't satisfied with that power so I improved further!" matching Goku SSJ3 or Vegeta vs SSJ Black, attempting to change the view that the manga is more consistent. Beforehand, the usual criticism was just that it was boring and lacked hype (which still continues now).

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nobody has argued Roshi is comparable to Jiren in terms of power, and if that was indeed the case in the manga then I'm sure 0 people would "defend" UI over the anime's incarnation.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Case in point:

I actually prefer what Toyotaro does over something pointless like the Eva manga. The manga's first few volumes were based on the original outline for the series, rather than the final scripts, which led to several differences, from small ones (Rei piloting Eva-01 and losing in the first episode before Shinji reaches NERV) to big ones (Asuka having a completely different backstory as born from a sperm bank). However about halfway through the tv series diverged greatly from the original outline and fearing the manga would become too different from the famous anime Sadamoto started retconning the manga (like Asuka's backstory) and attempting to stick to the anime's final story just with random "impact" scenes thrown around. Now, he is a better artist than Toyotaro, but the overall direction he chose for the manga at that point just made it pointless and story-wise they often didn't work thematically since they were just there to assure that the manga still had some differences in spite of following the anime's story.

I've disliked most of the manga's ToP, but I still prefer this free take on the outline rather than a pointless condensed version of the anime like what the Evangelion manga became.

Status
Not open for further replies.