• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably the only one who wants them to add GT as a DLC story...Idc what anyone says SSJ4>>>>>>SSJ God and Ultra Instinct.
GT deserves it's own game like this not just a DLC tbh.
Regardless of the actual show quality, I always felt GT has such a good potential for this type of game due to the variety of the environment the show had.
But unfortunately I don't see us ever getting a game like this based on GT.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done the triple roll? It says press Y/Triangle 3 times, but I can't tell if it means basic flight or boosted. But nothing happens for me either way.

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of talk of the good, but I'm not seeing any mentions of the animation. I'm floored by how well they animated the Recoome take down scene. Even gave a bigger sense of just how powerful Goku was in the moment.

The Namek arc is sadly the peak in animation. I don't know if it was budget or time constraints, but everything after the Frieza arc never quite lives up to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the actual show quality, I always felt GT has such a good potential for this type of game due to the variety of the environment the show had.
Gt would fit this format way more than super too it's a shame. In a perfect world they'd do both

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Not sure if asked but anyone else PS4 fans goes crazy when a large cloud of dust is floating in the air during cutscenes? For me, It happened when Picollo and Co. Is fighting nappa and it just happened again when Zarbon hit Vegeta after transforming

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Do original DB instead.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I feel like Super doesn't lend itself for this type of game very well.

It's got 5 major arcs (6 if we're counting Broly) and most of them take place in one area, two of them being tournaments. Not a lot of room for exploration outside of the recruitment arc of the Universal Survival Saga and maybe the Goku Black arc.

GT from Black Star Dragon Ball to Baby Saga is a much better fit, but also requires like twice the work given all the planets they travel and such.

That said I think the DLC is just gonna be focused on movies, GT and DBS might be saved for a sequel.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This really isn't fun. Why are enemies able to just have INFINITE poise against attacks? I'm stuck against Dodoria and halfway through the fight he goes from being stunnable to completely and utterly unbreakable and can just lol through everything I try to do.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Can't finish one of the side quests. It's the "as gohan, talk to vegeta about saiyan tails" one. Vegeta never shows up. He still doesn't even show up even after I beat the game.

Oct 27, 2017
This really isn't fun. Why are enemies able to just have INFINITE poise against attacks? I'm stuck against Dodoria and halfway through the fight he goes from being stunnable to completely and utterly unbreakable and can just lol through everything I try to do.
Get good. I have had no problems so far. Dodoria was very easy. You just need to learn the mechanics of the combat. And also use items if going gets really tough.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Please do a super sequel or DBZ movie sequel. No one cares about DragonBall anymore. Thanks.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Super arcs just seem like they'd be kinda eh for what this game has going for it. Theres less stuff going on in those arcs.

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester

Plus the potential bosses being each of the dark dragonball dragons.

I always loved GT

Oct 27, 2017
Just realized that you can completely destroy the small hills on Namek. Probably same case on Earth too. I thought it was specific to battle.

I faced a weird bug in Goku vs Recoome fight. Near the end, pressing circle was landing only a single punch. Combos weren't working at all. Everything else worked fine. I still won vs Recoome using Kamehamha and dodging, but that same bug continued vs Jiece and Burter fight, so had to restart the game. It worked fine afterwards. I am on PS4 Pro. Did anyone else face this bug?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Please do a super sequel or DBZ movie sequel. No one cares about DragonBall anymore. Thanks.

You mean the most important and charming adventure themed chapters with the most character development and world building vs the most unnecessary and kind of not very good Super which largely takes place in a single arena?

Dragon Ball was much more interesting to me when the characters were first learning these techniques that later because things every single character can seemingly do, the power creep hadn't reached boring levels and there were less guys screaming for 10 minutes straight to power up (more of an anime problem)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Super arcs just seem like they'd be kinda eh for what this game has going for it. Theres less stuff going on in those arcs.

Yeah, Super would be boring as hell for a game like this lol. The most interesting things you could do would be from before it starts to just after Beerus pops up. Everything else would work better in a XV2/Tenkaichi styled story mode fighting game.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat kid buu

man. 45h. What an awesome game. And the chill I got with that last fight and head challa song. Pfiou

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like I'm doing something wrong, or not fundamentally understanding how the combat works. I got stuck on the last Raditz fight for almost an hour because I kept losing over and over to him. Granted, I was level 4 and he was level 6, but I just assumed that was okay since I did a decent amount of exploring/grinding and would have had to purposefully grind even more if I wanted to be any higher of a level.

I never seemed to get his stun meter even remotely below 90%, I don't really seem to know when I'm able to properly throw in the super attacks (I try at the end of a punch combo, but it doesn't really connect all the time), and Raditz seemed to have super armor constantly where I couldn't finish combo strings against him and had to continually just back off and wait until I had an opening again.

Was this fight supposed to be this much of a struggle?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm doing something wrong, or not fundamentally understanding how the combat works. I got stuck on the last Raditz fight for almost an hour because I kept losing over and over to him. Granted, I was level 4 and he was level 6, but I just assumed that was okay since I did a decent amount of exploring/grinding and would have had to purposefully grind even more if I wanted to be any higher of a level.

I never seemed to get his stun meter even remotely below 90%, I don't really seem to know when I'm able to properly throw in the super attacks (I try at the end of a punch combo, but it doesn't really connect all the time), and Raditz seemed to have super armor constantly where I couldn't finish combo strings against him and had to continually just back off and wait until I had an opening again.

Was this fight supposed to be this much of a struggle?

Hmm, I'm trying to think of why you're struggling with that (not in a condescending way lol).

From what I've played, you can play fights fairly safe by just blocking. Obviously this doesn't work as well for his more 'special move' phases, but in normal fights your can just block, and either use burst if he's close, or vanish if he's far away, to ease the pressure or get an advantage.

With your melee combo, you can add a finisher with any face button, which gives a different effect. I can't remember which button does which lol, but one is a ki blast, one restores ki, and I don't know what the other one does. You can cancel into specials on the final hit of your combo, although some will just whiff because it knocks them too far away. Melee combo into a beam special is fairly consistent though.

Don't forget about the fact that if your ki and focus is charged, and you keep charging ki until that transition happens, until your focus meter runs down you can combo specials into each other, and you can charge up ki to fill that as well during that time. So you can throw out and combo like 4 kamehamehas at once.

In regards to stun, you can get stuff to increase that from the skill tree, and certain special moves are better for that.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
They went for it! Guess they couldn't not do it...

oc7eOJH.jpg

The side quests actually remind me a lot of the quests you'd find in a Yakuza game and can be pretty funny at times.

Dragon Ball was much more interesting to me when the characters were first learning these techniques that later because things every single character can seemingly do, the power creep hadn't reached boring levels and there were less guys screaming for 10 minutes straight to power up (more of an anime problem)
Preach!

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
Gohan thinks he can handle things

O.O

O.o

I'm gonna loose it hearing this much longer

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Super would be boring as hell for a game like this lol. The most interesting things you could do would be from before it starts to just after Beerus pops up. Everything else would work better in a XV2/Tenkaichi styled story mode fighting game.

Yeah. You really couldn't make a very good adventure game out of Super, there's virtually zero adventuring. It'd be a better fit for a Budokai or Tenkaichi type game for sure.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not actually sure theres enough source material. GT was about 60 episodes wasnt it? Super would probably have a better shot given there would be about 3 times as much source material to work with.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Sounds like the glitches and lack of polish keep the game from being great for all but the hardcore DBZ fans. Could have used an extra year of development I think.

I'll still check it out when the price drops a bit!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not actually sure theres enough source material. GT was about 60 episodes wasnt it? Super would probably have a better shot given there would be about 3 times as much source material to work with.

It was short, but it could potentially be the longest due to the whole planet hopping structure they had on it, where they'd go to a planet for an episode or two, solve a problem, then go to another one.

Super was longer for sure, but two sagas, including the longest one which almost, if it doesn't actually, makes up half of the series, are tournaments.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Huh, so I got handled by Radditz early on but I see that people are having issues with Dodoria and I completely murdered him without losing a bar. Zarbon too.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was short, but it could potentially be the longest due to the whole planet hopping structure they had on it, where they'd go to a planet for an episode or two, solve a problem, then go to another one.

Super was longer for sure, but two sagas, including the longest one which almost, if it doesn't actually, makes up half of the series, are tournaments.

Yeah that's a fair point. Tbh if they were worried about content they could just do a sequel that covers both. Unfortunately I doubt theres going to be a sequel to this in any hurry or another game in the same vein.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I started the game, did the fishing, and then it wanted me to talk to Gohan. Instead, I wandered back up the path and there was another Goku just standing there.

Is this a horror game?

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Traded in two games so I could buy this game for 25 bucks.

Having lots of fun so far. Wanted to play for a little bit as a break between work. But that ended up being a couple of hours lol. An absolute blast. Even though the flying and the fighting can be rather janky lol. Fighting is fun so far too. Seems a bit button mashing so far, but it looks good anyway.

Looking forward to play more!

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
It's a retelling of the Anime. You can go in absolutely blind. I feel like this gets asked every page, could we maybe add something to the OP?
It's actually pretty good. It does cut out stuff but the ingame log is actually super all encompassing and clears a lot up with characters and story.
Basically Goku and his pals love to fight. And a fair amount of them were trained by a pervert. That's a pretty solid starting point.
It actually does, probably better than any other DBZ game. There is a huge in-game codex where you can look up any character mentioned so far, a bunch of term definitions (IIRC), and a gigantic relationship chart detailing all of the characters introduced. It is an exhaustive exploration of all things DBZ.
Yep. It does make references to the original Dragon Ball, and kinda assumes you know that stuff, but what isn't outright explained to you is either easy enough to figure out, or not too important and in the encyclopaedia.
That being said, it's like that in the anime too, and I'd say the majority of the people in the west got into the series with DBZ, and a lot probably never saw DB at all.
Honestly, I can't see non-fans of the show/manga enjoying the game that much
Z is what the anime (and American manga localization) basically calls Chapter 195 (Volume 17+) onwards, and even watching the DBZ anime is very confusing in regards to the world building if that's your starting point.

The beautifully drawn and composed manga panels have been largely turned into talking heads awkwardly standing around, and some scenes have been entirely changed or removed.

The well produced cutscenes and fan service in this game are fun, but if you want to experience the Dragon Ball saga the original manga or anime are very easy to recommend experiencing first over this.

Thanks for diverse answers guys. I didn't have any notifications on my phone and only saw them now on PC.

I was curios about the game since I saw it dominating British market this week. I still can't fully understand why it happened since Kakarot looks kinda niche and mostly for people familiar with the series.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for diverse answers guys. I didn't have any notifications on my phone and only saw them now on PC.

I was curios about the game since I saw it dominating British market this week. I still can't understand why since it's kinda niche and mostly for people familiar with the series.

To clarify on what I said: it's certainly the best way to experience the story in video game form, and you would be able to follow it fine, without missing out on many key things, but it's certainly not a replacement/better way to experience it than the manga or anime, and you'd certainly get more enjoyment out of it if you're familiar with the source material.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I was curios about the game since I saw it dominating British market this week. I still can't fully understand why it happened since Kakarot looks kinda niche and mostly for people familiar with the series.

Well, there's your problem. Dragon Ball Z is like...Top 5 most popular anime of all time. Behind Pokemon globally, but not much else? It's not popular in a "Oh wow, this series on Netflix is really cool" but in a "20 years later, constant fan demand resulted in multiple movies then a full on televised sequel" kind of way.