• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Love how themed the islands are in 2.

The second one is seemingly focused on

exploring and expanding the deep underground mines (complete with maps for each floor level) and rebuilding a mining town.

Just got done building the rebuilding the tracks and the mine carts.

Weeeeeeeeee!!
Yes, each island is pretty different so far. I'm about to go to the 4th one and it also sounds pretty different :D

I've been enjoying the hell out of building up the island of awakening with the mechanics that each island introduces.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So what is the point of the hidden Khrumbul dun heartwood? What can I use it to build?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suggest after the game ends, going back and setting up your tutorial story towns with all the skills you have acquired. Give them proper roofs. Moonbrooke is the most rewarding one to do. Thinking back on how sorry that castle looked when you first got there and seeing the stout paradise you've built is really rewarding.

It makes me excited to replay the game and really take my time building up attractive towns in the future.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this for £22 a couple of days ago after that resetera thread swayed me.

It arrived this morning and I've put about 7 hours into it already haha, amazing game!

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anywhere that shows how to build attractive or proper rooves? I kind of suck at this. Only thing I have difficulty with in the game honestly.

Oct 28, 2017
Is there anywhere that shows how to build attractive or proper rooves? I kind of suck at this. Only thing I have difficulty with in the game honestly.
If you're uncomfortable with them, don't bother or seek out alternatives. They're annoying to deal with if you use the insides of buildings anyway.

If you want to learn how to build in a more attractive manner in general, I'd say to use the ability to visit other people's islands to the hilt. There are a few YouTube building gurus out there but they tend to be long winded and can sometimes hold back on the best secrets to spin out even more endless videos that never get to the point.

You could also try replicating real or fictional architecture within the game. That's often a great way to build your own repertoire of tricks and styles.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 3 question:

Are the liquid metal slimes in the Rendarak cave the ones you recruit? I came back after I was done with the chapter with some monster munchies, but I've killed so many of these now I'm starting to give up. If I remember correctly there's a Liquid Metal Slime boss on one of the explorer's island as well, but I assume that one's... too large?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 3 question:

Are the liquid metal slimes in the Rendarak cave the ones you recruit? I came back after I was done with the chapter with some monster munchies, but I've killed so many of these now I'm starting to give up. If I remember correctly there's a Liquid Metal Slime boss on one of the explorer's island as well, but I assume that one's... too large?
Can only recruit monsters from Explorer's Shores. And yes, that includes the large super-strong versions. They just revert to normal size when they surrender.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Figure I'll try asking again, is there a use for the heart wood that I'm finding in the game after the first island? Can I build the big tree on the island of awakening?

Oct 28, 2017
Figure I'll try asking again, is there a use for the heart wood that I'm finding in the game after the first island? Can I build the big tree on the island of awakening?
There's no use for Heartwood other than aesthetics. You can rebuild the big tree if you want to, once you get the Builder's Pencil. Will definitely need 2-3 Blueprints to do so.

It also rarely drops from the brownish colored Badboons in Furrowfield so you can farm a decent amount of it if you like how it looks.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's no use for Heartwood other than aesthetics. You can rebuild the big tree if you want to, once you get the Builder's Pencil. Will definitely need 2-3 Blueprints to do so.

It also rarely drops from the brownish colored Badboons in Furrowfield so you can farm a decent amount of it if you like how it looks.

Huh really strange that they hide it in a way that makes it seem like it has a use. Was expecting like a mini version of the tree or something.

And thanks for the response, you get happy points from me.

Oct 28, 2017
Huh really strange that they hide it in a way that makes it seem like it has a use. Was expecting like a mini version of the tree or something.

And thanks for the response, you get happy points from me.
If I had to guess, they enabled it to drop from the Badboons so that there's a backup supply just in case you accidentally drop or somehow destroy the blocks of Heartwood that are provided by the story. There are several situations like that throughout the game and they are often "backed up" by having nearby foes also drop the story required items.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to breeding, I set up a Cattery trying to breed them quickly.

I have 2 cats per room with 2 bowls 2 beds and the haystack. I have assigned the names to the room. Got them to 100% and fed them the special strawberry.

Still no Kittens. My cows seem to be breed non stop though.

Am I missing a step.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, they enabled it to drop from the Badboons so that there's a backup supply just in case you accidentally drop or somehow destroy the blocks of Heartwood that are provided by the story. There are several situations like that throughout the game and they are often "backed up" by having nearby foes also drop the story required items.

I actually meant the hidden ones in the temple on island 2 are and odd set to find. I think its towards the end you hear a voice telling you to go away and there are faces on the wall you bust through the last face and you find a chest with 3 pieces in it.

Oct 28, 2017
Going back to breeding, I set up a Cattery trying to breed them quickly.

I have 2 cats per room with 2 bowls 2 beds and the haystack. I have assigned the names to the room. Got them to 100% and fed them the special strawberry.

Still no Kittens. My cows seem to be breed non stop though.

Am I missing a step.
First, what language are you playing in? Apparently there are Male and Female cats (though you can't see that in English) and you need to breed a male and a female together to get a kitten, supposedly. You can see that in languages with gendered nouns, like Spanish. FWIW, I never had any problems breeding both types of pets all the way to the final coloration in English despite not being able to see the genders of pets.

Secondly, only breed one pair per day. You may be running into a 牧場物語 (Story of Seasons) issue where you can only have one "event" per morning, which also includes birth events. Cows, Chickens, and Sheep will breed until there are 5 in any given area, so make sure you have 5 to stop their breeding, and/or send them to another area.

Third, and most importantly, do NOT hang out near the area the pets are in. If you must be in that area, hang out near the pet houses when it is sleeping time. The Builder can kind of distract them from going to sleep properly, and sleeping in the great outdoors will lower the pet happiness enough that they won't breed that day.

As another note, you don't need 4 Gen 1 parents. You can use the same pair to make two babies on consecutive days, then send the original pair away and raise Gen 2 to adulthood and continue breeding pairs with the Gen 2 pets. Lather, rinse, repeat. The game doesn't really have a problem with inbreeding and it is the most efficient way to get to the Gen 4 colorations.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually meant the hidden ones in the temple on island 2 are and odd set to find. I think its towards the end you hear a voice telling you to go away and there are faces on the wall you bust through the last face and you find a chest with 3 pieces in it.
That shouldn't be Heartwood at all. I believe it is supposed to be an Yggdrasil Leaf.

Sorry for the double post!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Why is cotton so rare in chapter 2? Trying to finally wrap up this mining town.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If you're having troubles finding it in the central underground lake, you can also get it as a drop from the Bunnicorn type monsters IIRC. Good luck!
I've been trying the bunnicorns lol. I'll try the underground lake. just got the mission to start making the billboard for Babs. last mission-ish for this chapter?

Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying the bunnicorns lol. I'll try the underground lake. just got the mission to start making the billboard for Babs. last mission-ish for this chapter?
At the underground lake you should try to hop around the island areas and harvest plants, there should be a type there that's new to you. Those drop cotton.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hotto pack is a game-changer. I'm having a lot of fun adding a Japanese-themed area in the valley between the desert pyramid area and the waterfall area.

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Purchased this yesterday and played about 4 hours straight. So damn charming. I've just met the dog and am excited to see what else the game has in store as I've been absolutely enjoying the experience even before the dog

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game yesterday. Took me well over 100 hours, granted I spent quite a bit time doing things that weren't required, but it's really addictive! And I'm still unlocking mechanics post-game. Got more than half the room recipes yet to unlock, though I've got quite a lot of hints from NPCs now.

Played it mainly in Switch portable, definitely a bit rough framerate but playable. Might double dip if it ever makes it to PC, but not sure I can stomach running through all that main story again to get to the free form building.

Low point would be the first mini chapter which just went on and on without much actual building being done, and the combat which is not ever interesting in the slightest.

Definitely down for a DQB3, hopefully with a bit better villager AI and revamped combat.

Thing I just learned that I wish I knew: You can rotate items you're holding with the glove. Damn.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
A forced stealth section.

*hisses like a vampire confronted with a holy cross*

Not too bad though. Did not expect monster taming to be a feature.

Don't know how extensive it is (just left the island where you learned it) but I look forward to seeing how crazy I can get with it.

Slime settlement? ....yes.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how extensive it is (just left the island where you learned it) but I look forward to seeing how crazy I can get with it.

Slime settlement? ....yes.
Curbing your enthusiasm, now, rather than later, but you can only tame monsters with the paired-up person symbol in the builderpedia. Slimes and She-Slimes being available, of course.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main story, what a fantastic game.

Gonna aim to get all trophies now.

Probably my GOTY.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So if I rebuilt the deitree on the isle of awakening would it register as anything?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, it'll just be a fancy decoration for you. NPCs already do not interact with the Deitree on Furrowfield other than scaling it when it's in their way.

Thanks, I know the building has no real function but I was hopping that it would get that glow and grow that giant grass dome on its own, My Furrow Field is a bit to tight to get the whole dome in the sketch.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I know the building has no real function but I was hopping that it would get that glow and grow that giant grass dome on its own, My Furrow Field is a bit to tight to get the whole dome in the sketch.
Oh think the glow is unique to Furrowfield's town and not even the tree. You could destroy the Deitree and the glow would still remain, I believe. The leafy dome you would be able to copy over if you penciled the tree, however. That said, you'd still have to put in the leaf blocks yourself, or get your NPCs to do it for you.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh think the glow is unique to Furrowfield's town and not even the tree. You could destroy the Deitree and the glow would still remain, I believe. The leafy dome you would be able to copy over if you penciled the tree, however. That said, you'd still have to put in the leaf blocks yourself, or get your NPCs to do it for you.

Its my first time using the pencil but I had to do the dome separate to not get the buildings caught up in it.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Its my first time using the pencil but I had to do the dome separate to not get the buildings caught up in it.
For convenience, you don't have to complete a blueprint. You can build what you want then manually remove it. As far as automating NPCs go, if you don't supply them with the materials for the parts you don't want, they won't build it, either. If they complain about not having those parts, swing your weapon at them and they'll move onto to another piece of the blueprint.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For convenience, you don't have to complete a blueprint. You can build what you want then manually remove it. As far as automating NPCs go, if you don't supply them with the materials for the parts you don't want, they won't build it, either. If they complain about not having those parts, swing your weapon at them and they'll move onto to another piece of the blueprint.

I think I got it into a decent 2 pieces but they are definitely finding mats somewhere since I had no idea they would build it but they started to bring over some bark from God knows where.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
I think I got it into a decent 2 pieces but they are definitely finding mats somewhere since I had no idea they would build it but they started to bring over some bark from God knows where.
If I had to guess, it's from leftover parts the NPCs used to make the water ways in Green Garden from the chests they plop down. Should be able to check your total number of stored Bark when you highlight it in the Builderpedia Item section and bring up the description.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story. I liked the game more than the first but woof, that story just drags. Last chapter stretches out longer than the Return of the King movie ending. Also doesn't help cutscenes and some text can't be skipped.

Overall the ending is super adorable though.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
How many in game days does it take for the kittens/puppies to mature?

Is there a way to speed up the process?

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story. I liked the game more than the first but woof, that story just drags. Last chapter stretches out longer than the Return of the King movie ending. Also doesn't help cutscenes and some text can't be skipped.

Overall the ending is super adorable though.

Those scenes where the text was on screen for like a minute before changing to the next line, good GRIEF!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Those scenes where the text was on screen for like a minute before changing to the next line, good GRIEF!
Thats like a bug or something, right?

Theres no way in hell thats working as intended.

I just mutter "here we fucking go" now every time Malroth starts to hear voices in his head becuase it takes forever.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 60 hours in, just finished Moonbrooke. This series (Builders) is criminally underplayed. The way they are essentially sequels to 30 year old games that somehow feel totally faithful and powerful is just unbelievable. Really glad I took the 10 hours to play DQ2 before starting DQB2.

All it will take is a solid DQB3 for me to basically consider it a sister series to rather than a DQ spinoff.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game open up at all after the farming island? I've been playing for a bit now but it feels very on rails. The gameplay is enjoyable overall, I find building really tough with the controller and wish it was on PC with KB/Mouse but I love all the options it gives you. I've tried exploring but it doesn't seem to do me much good because the people I meet in the world don't seem to matter until I get a quest to talk to them.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Does the game open up at all after the farming island? I've been playing for a bit now but it feels very on rails. The gameplay is enjoyable overall, I find building really tough with the controller and wish it was on PC with KB/Mouse but I love all the options it gives you. I've tried exploring but it doesn't seem to do me much good because the people I meet in the world don't seem to matter until I get a quest to talk to them.
Yes. Basically the islands are cumulative with new things being unlocked throughout.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
The campaign is often pretty on rails, with the home base island having the more open objectives. It's definitely a game more about guided creativity than wide open building a la Minecraft.