Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I've really enjoyed all the boss fights so far (chapters 1 thru 3). On the first two chapters I had to make one trial run to figure out what I needed to do and then easily (and with much amusement) took out the boss on my second attempt. On chapter 3 it took me only one attempt.

I didn't make any traps in chapter 3 for the pre-boss story battles. Seems pointless since the cannons blow the **** out of everything. I just thought the crumbling blocks were placed in the environment to make mining (without a cannon) extremely annoying. Cannon mining FTW! BOOM!

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Piston traps work on small/medium enemies, but aren't really worth the time. Pits work fine though, you can keep enemies clustered for statue fire or cannon shots. Giants you mostly have to fight.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I do wonder how they're going to handle the old map on the new map, considering it's like a third of the new map.
world_small.png

Probably just going to ignore the top left, unless the game only takes place on one of the islands

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the demo last week and I was surprised. It's excellent. I'm going to get this sometime.

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it earlier this week. Such a pleasing game.

I would have liked the chapter goals to be more present though. I didn't feel driven to complete them one I was done with a chapter.

Any word on how Co op works in the new game?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This game is highly reminiscent of the laid back vibe of Sim City on SNES. The music, the slow pace, the simple construction of things. I don't really care for Dragon Quest or Minecraft, but the combo is surprisingly nice.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Played the demo for three hours and preordered it, but I cancelled the preorder after I saw just how much better the QoL improvements were in DQB2. I really can't wait to play that game.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I hope the "sim" elements get an upgrade. I really enjoyed meeting the townspeople's needs, and getting stuff back from them as they worked in the shops.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Ho hey ! I finished my first project \o/
But it has to be summoned in water or at water lvl to work properly.
The trees on top lvl disappear though, because they are too high...

But I think the sharing code system could be improved.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA

Beautiful! I like how you used the blue floor blocks to look like waterfalls.

I've just decided I'm going to dig all my summoning stone sites down to water level so water is available to all of them. Looking forward to this being improved in DQB2.

Yeah, but how? If the Switch had a camera we could scan bar codes. One possibility would be to put that feature into the Nintendo Online app (which everyone hates). And the implementation would be complicated. Probably never happen. Any other ideas?

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Beautiful! I like how you used the blue floor blocks to look like waterfalls.

I've just decided I'm going to dig all my summoning stone sites down to water level so water is available to all of them. Looking forward to this being improved in DQB2.

Yeah, but how? If the Switch had a camera we could scan bar codes. One possibility would be to put that feature into the Nintendo Online app (which everyone hates). And the implementation would be complicated. Probably never happen. Any other ideas?

Thx ! =)
For water I thought the same but the problem is water will fill all space until the water lvl, you can't do multi levels of water. DQB2 will have flowing water so we will be able to do it... and waterfalls !

About improvements i thought about username+shorter ID (for multiple share per user), but they would have to do a very different database and probably unique usernames or using the (useless) ID in your Nintendo account. They already still use friend codes instead of those uniques ID (that I don't understand) so implement that sort of thing into a game... lol ! Too much to ask I guess.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
The one thing I hope they don't do in DQB2 is make it as much of a pain in the ass to play as Minecraft's survival mode. Over the years, Minecraft kept layering on more and more stuff to keep things fresh and challenging for players who'd already been playing for years. To people like me it's a huge turn-off. I can't stand Minecraft survival mode. But the creative mode with infinite resources is not what I'm looking for either. DQB is a perfect fit for me. I hope DQB2 will be too.

Oct 28, 2017
The one thing I hope they don't do in DQB2 is make it as much of a pain in the ass to play as Minecraft's survival mode. Over the years, Minecraft kept layering on more and more stuff to keep things fresh and challenging for players who'd already been playing for years. To people like me it's a huge turn-off. I can't stand Minecraft survival mode. But the creative mode with infinite resources is not what I'm looking for either. DQB is a perfect fit for me. I hope DQB2 will be too.

I think you're the first person that has the exact same opinions about Minecraft that I do. There's way too much now, even in Peaceful Mode. It gets overwhelming really fast to the point where I don't even want to play anymore.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, exact opposite for me. Terra Incognitia is super boring because I feel like there's no purpose to it. I need some sort of threat, or reason, to build a fortress.

I hope they have more of that in the DQB2 multiplayer. It'd also be cool if they somehow had server support, but that's probably asking too much from Enix.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Damn, exact opposite for me. Terra Incognitia is super boring because I feel like there's no purpose to it. I need some sort of threat, or reason, to build a fortress.

Terra Gladiatoria doesn't scratch that itch? Have you tried it?

Terra Incognita isn't boring to me since at least I have to gather resources from the four unlockable portals. And I also enjoy importing things other people have built (like JNH's hanging gardens above).

Last edited:

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Finally finished the game after 100 hours. Was kind of glad to be done with it but overall i loved the game

Looking forward to the sequel

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
For water I thought the same but the problem is water will fill all space until the water lvl, you can't do multi levels of water.

I tried it and discovered that once a summoning area has water in it, the water is there to stay until someone's build has a floor at least two blocks deep (if I have the summoning stone sitting on bedrock). Bleh. I give up.

I think you're the first person that has the exact same opinions about Minecraft that I do.

I'm relieved someone else feels the same way. I was a bit apprehensive about posting my opinion.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there a point to the base levels, anyways? Like, does it make the base area larger and I just haven't noticed? Anything?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The trees on top lvl disappear though, because they are too high...

I see stuff like this and I start to feel little about my mud hut village.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017

I hope they have more of that in the DQB2 multiplayer. It'd also be cool if they somehow had server support, but that's probably asking too much from Enix.

I don't necessarily need threats to my buildings, so much as I need some needs to fulfill and goals to meet. I built an inn for the random humans that join, workshops and gardens for the passive buffs and free items, and then all I could think to build is recreations of things from other games or media.

I feel like I should be able to build a settlement on these other four islands, but anything built there gets overrun before it's even finished. And NPCs will never show up.

I don't need a real sim per se, but maybe some "if you build it, they will come" system. Also one or two lines of dialog would help reduce the creepyness of these random NPCs. I'd be fine with just getting another campaign though.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
WOW... I just noticed you can have only one sharing stone activated... You can receive hundreds from other players but share only one space. That's a big bummer for me.

I'm sad. I was planning to do several mazes. I just finished one but if I place the sharing stone, I saw it's the same summoning code, even on a different save. I guess I'll have to restart the game on a new account and unlock Terra Incognita again if I want share another project. That's really not fun at all... ._.

+ 4 signs max. That's not enough when you can write only 3-4 words on each. I wanted more to greet and explain the minigame I did.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Interesting to see the different emotional reactions the game's structure elicits. I started the game on Saturday and spent a ton of time building my fortress in Cantlin ... only to see it not really matter that much come the chapter's boss, and then being asked to leave it all behind for the next chapter! I thought it would be more of a process of building an ongoing kingdom. Oh well. I will probably not spend 15+ hours on chapter 2 like I did on the first!

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Took the bite and I am loving the game. If anything I hate that it seems like it eats the handheld battery faster than most games even with audio turned off.

I am really loving the game for a number of different reason. It really reminds me a the 3D Dot Heroes games mostly because of the looks. It makes me want a deeper character creation.

I feel like the gameplay loop is very similar to what Iiked from Stardew Valley. The scavenging and crafting are similar a lot more guided.

I was also bummed initially by the base size, but I found I can just build vertically. Ia there a ceiling" here?

Any other pointers or things I should do that I may be ignoring?

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The vertical limit isn't that high, no skyscrapers for you, but it's more than high enough to meet the residents' needs during the campaign. For sharing, the height limit is tragic though, much smaller than the world's limit.

In chapter 1 the ground level of the town is actually very high above the bedrock, so you can dig down and make basements and sub-basements if you want more space.

There is no quest log, but there are sidequests you can find out in the world. Be sure to check the mountains.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Music

I made the house from The Simpsons! Since I mostly focused on the interior, the outside is the wrong color. A few more blocks in each direction and I could've given it the proper exterior color. D'oh...

Don't
place this one in shallow water. Unless you want to flood the basement, like in that one episode. But the basement here is a black starless void, so you probably won't have much fun with that.

Summoning spell: VhVbZCEUJRWPJhP

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I made the house from The Simpsons! Since I mostly focused on the interior, the outside is the wrong color. A few more blocks in each direction and I could've given it the proper exterior color. D'oh...

I enjoyed going through all the rooms! That pink! It gets really intense when I get close to a lantern.

Since I'm not an expert on the show, I googled the chains in the attic and learned about Bart's evil twin, Hugo. So I learned something today! 8D

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Music

Don't
place this one in shallow water. Unless you want to flood the basement, like in that one episode. But the basement here is a black starless void, so you probably won't have much fun with that.

Summoning spell: VhVbZCEUJRWPJhP
What a nice idea ! Good job !

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
In chapter 1 still, please tell me new music gets introduced soon. The two or three tunes that have played so far are lovely and all but holy shit they never stop looping through my head.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In chapter 1 still, please tell me new music gets introduced soon. The two or three tunes that have played so far are lovely and all but holy shit they never stop looping through my head.
Every chapter has different overworld and town music, the other ones have linger loops and feel less repetitive. I love the DQ1 overworld music but it gets annoying after a while... Chapter 2 has amazing DQ4 and 3 tunes though.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Every chapter has different overworld and town music, the other ones have linger loops and feel less repetitive. I love the DQ1 overworld music but it gets annoying after a while... Chapter 2 has amazing DQ4 and 3 tunes though.

Nice! I actually love the music, just a wee bit repetitive. Especially since I'm playing so slowly.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I DID IT !
It was annoying to create a new account + Nintendo account (required for online...) + redo chapter 1 but I'm happy to share it :

It's an easy one. I love mazes so if people enjoy it maybe I'll try to build harder ones >:]

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I DID IT !
It was annoying to create a new account + Nintendo account (required for online...) + redo chapter 1 but I'm happy to share it

Doing all that to share a second build is true dedication! I tweeted you from the maze goal as requested.

Have you tried the following maze? It's not mine. The summoning spell is included in the pic if you are interested in giving it a try (if you haven't already):

https://twitter.com/Factory_121/status/974860473748221952

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Ugh, that final boss battle. And I have to do it again in inferior armor if I want to complete all the challenges? Ugh! I'm going to look up what the challenges unlock to decide whether it's worth it or not. Bleh.

Chapter 4 was my least favorite chapter. I really loved the first three chapters, including the boss battles.

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to chime in to say you guys are right, this game is amazing. It's seriously like crack, I can't stop playing. It reminds me why I love gaming, it's just so fun.

I even like the little jokes in the dialogs sometimes, like when they make fun of the main character's face.

Like a lot of people posted before, I don't even like Minecraft or Dragonquest but this is something else.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got some tips for chapter 3? I'm doing the base defense where you first encounter the mage with the fire things. It's really annoying trying to get what little damage I do in while getting shot with fireballs from everywhere. Additionally to the little amount of healing items I have at my disposal.