• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
2fz1g00iiddb1.png

Some of Dragon Quest X Offline has been translated to English. This looks to be a port of the work done on the Online version of X. Aspects like Menus, spell names etc go untranslated.

Link to reddit with more info.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun time, but it's not exactly a DQM action game despite having monster allies.

It's more of an Action Adventure style game, exploring the wide open spaces of the many islands in search of treasure hidden underground in various locations. The treasure adds to your treasury value and eventually you pass ranks to grow your capabilities.

The monsters themselves fight on your behalf, but using your slingshot, tossing out elemental pellets for damage and utilizing the utility and healing ones, you are far from useless in any battle. They also provide navigational utility, like Slimes bouncing you up high, and Drackies letting you glide down long distances, and getting higher ranks makes these much more effective.

It's less repetitive in my eyes and more a constant and fairly well made gameplay loop. You pick a place you wanna go, it has it's share of sidequests, main quest stuff like with finding all the dragonstones, and each trip shuffles the types of treasures you're gonna find into different catagories.

The monsters you Bring are not only different in power or navigational ability, but also "detect" different treasure types, so bringing enough along that fit the area will give you a lot better chances to find treasure walking about.

So you go in, and try to accomplish something while passively looking for treasures along the way, having a compass mechanic to suss out the direction of the closest booty. You find them, your monsters carry them, and when you're all filled up you head to a nearby train station and head back home with the valubles.

It's a fun loop, and on many occasions I skipped the "do something" part and just went straight treasure hunting, even picking monsters that carried lots of treasure at the cost of limiting my access to movement types, as the more booty you bring home, the higher a multiplier is put on the whole set immediately, and the faster your rank grows.

It's not critically important to do that, but since that multiplier only affects new treasure and not repeats, it pays to make a few trips as soon as you start recruiting Gigantes, Hoodlums or Loss Leaders and can field three of those types to get 12 treasure slots, when you bring home that much bacon your bonus is insane, haha.

One other cool thing is that as you build up your rank, you get a bigger Display Room to put your favourite and most valuble treasures in. They will appreciate in value over time, and you can fight off other rival gangs (in game ones) to get them even more costly, though if you fail you can still hunt them down and retrieve them.

I ultimately love the exploration of the game, and find the core gameplay a lotta fun, especially when you start to better understand your abilities and get high enough ranks to have limited movement options handle greater challenges. It's a unique experience, and I reccomend it wholeheartedly.

My only gripe is that it's too divorced from rpg stuff, you aren't getting much in the way of usable equipment outside of medals of the monsters granting stat and attribute related bonuses, but it's not really prioritizing combat as the gameplay focus.

The active variety of monsters is also somewhat of a bummer, but there were quite a few recolours that I found good enough to be put into Actual DQ rpgs in the future, like the Magmantes, Stormy Sabrecat, and all the rare Gem Variants you can stumble onto in specific areas. Plus, they all have voice acting and cute quips that could potentially be grating, but I found were charming enough to retain their lustre through my time playing it.

All together, it's absolutely more of a Rocket Slime type of game then DQM, if you come into it expecting a more adventury game with a lot to find and discover, rather then an RPG, you'll have a great time.

Also, unlike too many games with sibling protagonists, you can always swap the active one between trips, and they retain functionality. Convenient and fun : D wish there was a co-op mode too, but that can wait for a sequel or something, haha.
Sorry I never responded to this before.

Appreciate you writing all of this out. Sounds like it's a game I would have fun playing.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Very minor update on DQ 3 HD 2D, courtesy of gematsu. "Progress is steady" is all Horii said.

No updates on Dq12. I know this is barely news, but it's the only comment made on the game this year AFAIK.

I don't expect to hear more until after Monsters 3 is out.
Honestly as vague as it is that's good to hear as opposed to like

1) more nothing
2) ahh we're having development hell again! (although i guess they wouldn't say that)

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of news is only not bothersome to me because I'm on month nine of my first playthrough of VII and I suspect I won't be done until the end of the year.

Once I'm done VII, though, I'm all out of Dragon Quest games, and that's never where you want to be.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
got back into XI and having a great time with it!

i just reached a cool village called phnom nohn, how far along am i? i kept hearing things changed in act 2, wonder how close i am to that

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
oh damn, okay - it's going at a good pace, not like what i'd heard of vii...

also, for iv which do y'all think is more likely?
1) the mobile port finally coming to sswitch (4+5+6) or
2) fan translation for the PSX port finally wraps up?

I'm not sure why they haven't done IV, V and VI for Switch etc. I was wondering if it was an aspect ratio thing. Like they couldn't stretch it out? That sounds stupid though.

I think the DQIV translation is MIA, right?

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
3/4 of the way through if I recall correctly.
i feel like phnom nohn first visit can't be 3/4 through the game?
unless you meant the act
either that or i'm literally the slowest player ever (which is also true)

i can't really gauge whether IrishNinja has played this before (i figured yes cuz i feel like i've seen lots of dq posts on his behalf, figured he knew all the dqs inside out)

so, without spoilers, or, hold on just in case

i've been revisiting all the places, i think phnom was relatively recently (i took a huge break and picked it back up—mildly overwhelming) and my playtime is well above 100hrs 😂 i'm still technically supposed to be going Back to Arboria

then again for all that people said the 3ds ver. of the (fabulous) 7 was shorter... people saying oh it's only 60-70hrs now (???) still prob the longest game i've ever played, over 200hrs lol

(it's either that or yakuza 5. one of them is def the longest game i've ever played. and i love em both)

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
oh damn, okay - it's going at a good pace, not like what i'd heard of vii...

also, for iv which do y'all think is more likely?
1) the mobile port finally coming to sswitch (4+5+6) or
2) fan translation for the PSX port finally wraps up?
VII is a slog. It's interesting that VII has a reputation of being a very long game but XI, if you count the third act, is a fair bit longer. It's just far less repetitive so it doesn't feel as long.

I know some people really love VII. I'm happy for them! I'm... not one of them.
i feel like phnom nohn first visit can't be 3/4 through the game?
I interpreted this as 3/4 through the first act (since this is accurate in my experience playing the game) which would put it at somewhere around the 30% mark for the whole game.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Is anyone playing Dragon Quest+? It's an RPG Maker remake of the first game with a lot of additions. The amount of work that went into it is pretty astonishing. The additional text also appears well thought out and styled after recent entries, which is a pleasant surprise.

Check it out.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
mann so at level 50 and nearly 90 hours in, i "finished" dq xi

...in comes that act 3 i'd been warned about 😅
not gonna lie, veronica was my favorite and the prospect of maybe getting her back is really cool! but replaying a bunch of stuff, grinding what i'm reading may be like 20 levels for this real final fight...sounds a lot less cool

as a kid, i dug lunar 2's epilogue mode; as an adult, tales of vesperia wore out its welcome with one. gonna try to see this one through but might also put it down for a while

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
mann so at level 50 and nearly 90 hours in, i "finished" dq xi

...in comes that act 3 i'd been warned about 😅
not gonna lie, veronica was my favorite and the prospect of maybe getting her back is really cool! but replaying a bunch of stuff, grinding what i'm reading may be like 20 levels for this real final fight...sounds a lot less cool

as a kid, i dug lunar 2's epilogue mode; as an adult, tales of vesperia wore out its welcome with one. gonna try to see this one through but might also put it down for a while
The act 3 grind is very fast if you look up how to do it. You can realistically get from an act 2 endgame party to an act 3 endgame party in like, two hours or less. I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but I definitely spent more time grinding to finish act 2 (I played on strong monsters) than I did to finish act 3 notwithstanding the much larger amount of levels needed.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The act 3 grind is very fast if you look up how to do it. You can realistically get from an act 2 endgame party to an act 3 endgame party in like, two hours or less. I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but I definitely spent more time grinding to finish act 2 (I played on strong monsters) than I did to finish act 3 notwithstanding the much larger amount of levels needed.

this is a lot more encouraging! okay yeah, ill see if there's a guide i'm missing, the one i was using didn't say much helpful about grinding, other than how to eventually get the best sword. if anyone has any specific links, i'm down!

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
this is a lot more encouraging! okay yeah, ill see if there's a guide i'm missing, the one i was using didn't say much helpful about grinding, other than how to eventually get the best sword. if anyone has any specific links, i'm down!
I'll look for it if you can't find it, but basically you can use a combination of pep skills to fight a bunch of metal enemies and gain several levels of experience at once. I think it's actually better not to know this prior to the postgame as I feel it could really affect the game's balance to get access to this information early.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the level grinding isn't too bad once you figure it out. I went from low 70s to 99 in one evening.

You need like 3 pep skills if I remember right, but it's been so long I don't remember off the top of my head. If I remember, one has a chance to turn the enemies your fighting into metal monsters, one doubles experience gained, and one murders everything.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I just finished Act 3 myself, and didn't really do any grinding. Seems like all the little missions that opened up kinda got me where I needed to be on their own. I definitely gained a bunch of levels but never e.g. did the usual trick folks cite.
Bet I'd have to if I ever come back and try Timewyrm though.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Man, just made it through the Cave to Rhone. The pitfalls, the lost woods like sections, the abundance of stairs. WTF.
It felt so good when I found the exit and was greeted by the snowy overworld. Almost died to the first encounter too. Just nice.

Edit:
Unrelated to the cave.
What were they thinking with the "Fire Shrine"? That was the one thing I had to look up thus far.

Last edited:

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Man, just made it through the Cave to Rhone. The pitfalls, the lost woods like sections, the abundance of stairs. WTF.
It felt so good when I found the exit and was greeted by the snowy overworld. Almost died to the first encounter too. Just nice.

Edit:
Unrelated to the cave.
What were they thinking with the "Fire Shrine"? That was the one thing I had to look up thus far.
Road to Rhone is so bad that in my mind it fully wraps around to being a positive experience because it is so memorable how bad it is.

I don't personally know how anyone was supposed to figure out the fire shrine thing and I'm not sure I believe anyone who's told me they found it without assistance.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Road to Rhone is so bad that in my mind it fully wraps around to being a positive experience because it is so memorable how bad it is.

I don't personally know how anyone was supposed to figure out the fire shrine thing and I'm not sure I believe anyone who's told me they found it without assistance.
I guess in times of no internet, people probably did, out of desperation, try using the Echo Flute everywhere. But I have no time for that xD.
The flute itself is also hidden pretty well.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I guess in times of no internet, people probably did, out of desperation, try using the Echo Flute everywhere. But I have no time for that xD.
The flute itself is also hidden pretty well.
I followed a stream a long while ago someone going in blind no spoilers.
Took multiple days for him to beat, but like you said he actually did use that flute almost everywhere.
He did write down a lot of the NPC text, and apparently most clues were there.

Anyway, game seem beatable without guides.
As a kid in the 80s though, I obviously had to use that special guide and map they sent by mail to clear it.

Nov 15, 2017
I made it all the way to the final dungeon as a 7 year old without a guide.

The problem is that I never actually made it inside the final dungeon because there's a specific item you have to use in a spot(and it's an item you already used for something else) so as a 7 year old, the idea of a key item being used for 2 different unrelated things did not occur to me and I was stuck there perpetually. I just assumed there was something I was missing.

That's also like the only thing that no NPC in the game tells you or hints at so you just have to figure it out on your own

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Treasures in the newest Steam Sale, and I actually really dig it so far. Feels like a great comfy game to just run around and find treasure in. Probably going to slot it in as my Steam Deck game when travelling. I'm surprised I saw basically 0 buzz for it. The world design reminds me a bit of Xenoblade mixed with Pokemon Legends Arceus.

Oct 27, 2017
ylj4g46oz6jc1.png

Got this from reddit, thought it was cute. I also just wanted an excuse to post and start a summoning circle for DQ3r, let's hope it appears in the upcoming rumored nintendo direct.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
It goes something like:

S: 7 10 4 5
A: 11 8 3
B: 1 9 6
C: 2 (Even though the MC looks the best)

Oct 25, 2017
3, 4, 5, and 7 are the best ones imo.

I'd rank 11 up there as well but I didn't like the 3rd act, before that it was a 10/10.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Tiers in order from left to right
S: 5, 11, 4
A: 8, 9, 3
B: 6, 2
C: 7, 1

Currently doing 11, really liking it. My first Dragon Quest game!

Wondering which one I should play next.
I'd recommend 8 if you want to play something very similar to 11 or 5 if you want to play the best the series has to offer. There's sort of no wrong answer to this, though, except I'd really advise against going to 2 or 7 next. 2 is sort of an infamously janky game and 7 is incredibly long (and, imo, repetitive)

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I'd recommend 8 if you want to play something very similar to 11 or 5 if you want to play the best the series has to offer. There's sort of no wrong answer to this, though, except I'd really advise against going to 2 or 7 next. 2 is sort of an infamously janky game and 7 is incredibly long (and, imo, repetitive)

I'll check it out!

Discovering this legendary so late is pretty fun, I like the segments in Tickington (I think that's the name?) in DQXI where you seem to go to the worlds of the previous Dragon Quest games, gave me the idea to check out more of the games after I'm done with 11!

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'll check it out!

Discovering this legendary so late is pretty fun, I like the segments in Tickington (I think that's the name?) in DQXI where you seem to go to the worlds of the previous Dragon Quest games, gave me the idea to check out more of the games after I'm done with 11!
It's a pretty enviable position to be in. One of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory was going through the entire DQ franchise. It took over two years and it left me with a ton of appreciation for the series. If you play other RPGs, you'll start finding its influence everywhere (especially in the good ones!).

11 is something of a high watermark for the series in a lot of ways, but almost every DQ has something unique to offer and all of them are worth playing.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
It's a pretty enviable position to be in. One of my favorite gaming experiences in recent memory was going through the entire DQ franchise. It took over two years and it left me with a ton of appreciation for the series. If you play other RPGs, you'll start finding its influence everywhere (especially in the good ones!).

11 is something of a high watermark for the series in a lot of ways, but almost every DQ has something unique to offer and all of them are worth playing.

I'm a big JRPG / RPG fan in general, Dragon Quest just ended up being one of those massive blind spots. Been craving to play one since I played Yakuza Like a Dragon and Infinite Wealth (they are very inspired by those games and the protagonist is a big Dragon Quest fan). Aside from that my only experience with Dragon Quest was the Fly (Adventures of Dai in english, I think?) manga back when I was a kid!

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The only DQ game I was not really a fan of was 2, it was okay but good god the difficulty spike at the end
I feel like calling it difficulty is misleading because it's not that the game gets harder, it's that it introduces two enemies that can randomly kill your party members and there's actually no way to meaningfully reduce the risk of that happening (e.g. by grinding). You basically just attempt the final stretch over and over again until it eventually works.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like calling it difficulty is misleading because it's not that the game gets harder, it's that it introduces two enemies that can randomly kill your party members and there's actually no way to meaningfully reduce the risk of that happening (e.g. by grinding). You basically just attempt the final stretch over and over again until it eventually works.
The insta kills spells are truly bonkers in every DQ game.
Easier to resist them in the later games though, and also much easier to revive characters.

Nov 15, 2017
Technically it's one enemy that can randomly instant kill your party members, and one enemy that has a 100% chance to kill all of your party members under specific non-random conditions that you can always avoid. The hit rate on the former is also only 1/8 so while it can be annoying, I don't think either of those are going to be your main problem over multiple attempts.

The 100% kill is more like a one-time troll that you may fall for a couple times but after that it's whatever(but the full effect of the troll happens if you get hit by it before you make it to the save point)

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Technically it's one enemy that can randomly instant kill your party members, and one enemy that has a 100% chance to kill all of your party members under specific non-random conditions that you can always avoid. The hit rate on the former is also only 1/8 so while it can be annoying, I don't think either of those are going to be your main problem over multiple attempts.

The 100% kill is more like a one-time troll that you may fall for a couple times but after that it's whatever(but the full effect of the troll happens if you get hit by it before you make it to the save point)
I'm extremely doubtful that most players figured out how to prevent the full party wipe without extensive spoilers.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
dragon quest 2 is so stupid.
I beat 1 and 3 trying to do a chronological playthrough after 7 (3DS version, really charming, fuck that end tower) but never beat 2. Also haven't got to 4 yet because it's not on anything current

Nov 15, 2017
I'm extremely doubtful that most players figured out how to prevent the full party wipe without extensive spoilers.

The idea to rely on status effects like sleep and mute isn't exactly a peculiar strategy. Well, at least it shouldn't be. I realize a lot of RPG players like to say things like debuffs are useless even though they're not