• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone pinpointed what causes the random drops to 10fps?

Last time I've seen this behavior was due to lack of video memory, but you'd think a 980ti would have enough.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
tweaked my reshade more

reshade on

44461057692_03ee0b668d_o.png

reshade off

44510487121_093287fc6f_o.png

reshade on

44510494261_fbe34fcd3a_o.png

reshade off

43792752924_83002141bc_o.png
Good stuff! Does reshade hits performance hard ?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It works pretty well but there is definitely visible ghosting around the character when you spin the camera and in other scenes of high contrast and high motion. If there was a way to make TAA not blend colors of a certain contrast threshold I think it would be perfect, but I guess that would require a deeper access to the renderer.

I've been tweaking the settings and I think I can live with this. The ghosting is still there but the image looks so much smoother.

Engine.ini:
[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2

[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=1
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0
Oh man, this makes the grass look SO MUCH better.

The ghosting is kinda bumming me out, but still idk if I can go back. Really improves IQ.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Does the game show Xbox One button prompts when playing with one on PC?

Also there are some signs with icons scattered around the world I've seen that display what seem to represent the Circle button on a Dualshock4. On PC do you see the same drawing on these signposts or is it a "B" button instead?

Please don't spoil what these are for. I haven't figured them out yet. That's why I only think they are supposed to be Circle buttons at least on the PS4 version.

Yes it shows Xbox controller prompts in the UI. It also lets you choose if you want A as confirm (American-style) or B as confirm (Japanese-style). I'm not sure about the signs, don't think I've seen any myself. I'm in the desert.

Controller Config:
SWoji30.jpg

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It was a question, I don't know...You said that they need to "fix" these effects, so I assumed that they are working on the PS4 version.

Oh, I thought it was a rhetorical question. In that case, who knows. I'm a sucker for TAA and motion blur, so official support would be awesome. Both those pieces of tech really compliment that art style.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It works pretty well but there is definitely visible ghosting around the character when you spin the camera and in other scenes of high contrast and high motion. If there was a way to make TAA not blend colors of a certain contrast threshold I think it would be perfect, but I guess that would require a deeper access to the renderer.

I've been tweaking the settings and I think I can live with this. The ghosting is still there but the image looks so much smoother.

Engine.ini:

[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0
Found this in the Steam forum, you can also add sharpening to ease out the blurry effect from TAA.

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So with a 3960x and 1080ti 32gb RAM can I get 4K30? I may double dip after the trip i'm on and just play this on PC. Not sure why i preordered the PS4 version lol i knew there was a PC version !

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Motion blur and TAA make a huge difference. Too bad it's an old TAA algorythm with a lot of ghosting, I think I might turn it off because of this.
But the motion blur in-game is kind of game-changing, it looks great.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm running everything maxed out at 1440p with the following:

i7 6700k @ 4 GHz
Gtx980ti (stock unit that came with computer; no idea about the manufacturer)
32 GB ram

I'm only 3 hours in, but it's running at a constant 60 fps with no dips or screen tearing. The only hitches I've seen are when entering certain buildings, where I think it's in the process of loading off the hard drive (no SSD for me yet).

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Getting constant crashes and "fatalerror" after 10-15minutes. Game is running smoothly though. Don't know how to fix it...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Motion blur and TAA make a huge difference. Too bad it's an old TAA algorythm with a lot of ghosting, I think I might turn it off because of this.
But the motion blur in-game is kind of game-changing, it looks great.
Yeah, I ended up turning it off. Shame about the shimmering, but it's not like it's better on PS4 Pro.

Running now 1080p, maxed everything except post processing which I set to 2 since I couldn't tell a difference and I'm using some of my own. Reshade with MXAO, Vibrance, and Clarity at their default values. Solid 60fps on my mildly OC'd 970. G-Sync masks any hiccups.

All things considered, port is solid. Looks great and runs great. No crashes in my 14 hours so far.

Also, GTX 970 was the GOAT value GPU.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's Unreal 4. There is no good AA. The temporal solution does make a good image, as long as you sharpen it and also don't let anything move an inch.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I've tinkered and looked around, I think these settings make the temporal AA slightly more tolerable with the ghosting. It doesn't trail all the way across the screen, at least.

Code:
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.45
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0.5
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1

Setting filter size to 2 or so makes the ghosting better, but it also makes things more stippley in motion. Which makes me feel like this effect kind of fails at its basic purpose, in a way.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've tinkered and looked around, I think these settings make the temporal AA slightly more tolerable with the ghosting. It doesn't trail all the way across the screen, at least.

Code:
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1

Setting filter size to 2 or so makes the ghosting better, but it also makes things more stippley in motion. Which makes me feel like this effect kind of fails at its basic purpose, in a way.
This is much better! The ghosting is barely noticeable now.

I made a comparison, it's not really noticeable but it makes a huge difference in-game. The grass, in particular, is now a bit darker (like gained additional AO) and the jaggies are almost gone completely.
Vanilla
LBqdl5Y.jpg

TAA + Sharpening
k9gZILQ.jpg
Anyway, I'm settling with 1440p after all. I tried 4K and it couldn't sustain 30fps in the desert field (weirdly enough it's fine inside the city). I had to turn down the resolution to 90% of 4K to get 30fps. But after playing the game in 60fps for a while, going down to 30fps is a bit jarring, even with the RTSS cap.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Game's been running 60 for me on PC. I haven't had an issue. Is there another town that gives a better test than the first castle city?

That said it's a shame that ultrawide wasn't natively supported as I have a 21:9 monitor.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh damn. That TAA with sharpening looks delecious

Has anyone gotten ReShade and RivaTuner's OSD to work together. When I activate reshade it doesn't work. Actually none of my overclocking OSDs work.

Virdix

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question since I'm at work:

I have this old laptop with

Nvidia 860m
I7-4700hq @ 2.4ghz
And 12gbs of ram
On a HDD

I have a work conference next week taking me away from my desktop with a 1080. Am I SOL for playing at my hotel?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it shows Xbox controller prompts in the UI. It also lets you choose if you want A as confirm (American-style) or B as confirm (Japanese-style). I'm not sure about the signs, don't think I've seen any myself. I'm in the desert.

Controller Config:
SWoji30.jpg
I'm way a head of you and I've seen many of those signposts with what looks like a Circle button on them. You went by unnoticed.

Off the top of my head you can see one hanging from the outer ceiling of the fisherman's house next to the camp that's near the entrance to the dungeon where Erik's orb is located. It's a wooden rhombus hanging from the ceiling outdoors that has a red Circle on it, in case you want to go back and see one.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Code:
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1

How do I add this to the game?
What does post processing do?
Seems to be a combination of things. Ambient Occlusion and Bloom being the most visually obvious. 2 introduces a lot more bloom and 3 adds more Ambient Occlusion.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
When I get back home, I'm going to keep tinkering with those TAA settings. I think I can get the ghosting down a little more.

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
Quick question since I'm at work:

I have this old laptop with

Nvidia 860m
I7-4700hq @ 2.4ghz
And 12gbs of ram
On a HDD

I have a work conference next week taking me away from my desktop with a 1080. Am I SOL for playing at my hotel?

I'm playing on an i5 6700HQ, 960m laptop, so no much different from yours I assume, so if I were you I would be looking at 720p30 with most options around 1 or 2

Definitely doable

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
How do I add this to the game?
Add these settings to one of the ini files next to the usersettings, like in this other example. Too busy for proper instructions.

Engine.ini:

[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Add these settings to one of the ini files next to the usersettings, like in this other example. Too busy for proper instructions.
Holy crap, the grass is fixed! And the sharpening setting also is letting me run at a much lower resolution without a noticeable visual hit (to my eyes anyways) so a locked 60fps instead of 30! Unfortunately the ghosting is very much an issue and changing the filter size from 0.5 to 2 doesn't seem to make a difference. Am I doing it right?

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
Game's been running 60 for me on PC. I haven't had an issue. Is there another town that gives a better test than the first castle city?

That said it's a shame that ultrawide wasn't natively supported as I have a 21:9 monitor.

A half fix is on WSGF but some things are borked as a result when playing in 21:9

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I encourage anyone willing to fiddle with those Temporal AA settings to do so. I've been trying to get something good, but it feels like you need to hit some kind of balance between things that change how long the ghosting stays on screen, how much ghosting happens with slower movements, and how stippley things get in movement. This is such a garbage AA solution.

...That said, I think I've improved on it fairly dramatically, getting close to that sweet spot..

Code:
[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=16
r.TemporalAASharpness=0.5
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.5

Virdix

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on an i5 6700HQ, 960m laptop, so no much different from yours I assume, so if I were you I would be looking at 720p30 with most options around 1 or 2

Definitely doable
Thank you for the response and the comparison, I really appreciate it! I'll go ahead and set that up when I get home.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I encourage anyone willing to fiddle with those Temporal AA settings to do so. I've been trying to get something good, but it feels like you need to hit some kind of balance between things that change how long the ghosting stays on screen, how much ghosting happens with slower movements, and how stippley things get in movement. This is such a garbage AA solution.

...That said, I think I've improved on it fairly dramatically, getting close to that sweet spot..

Code:
[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=16
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.5
Is the Tonemapper Sharpen a factor in the ghosting or just personal preference?

el_skywalker

Feb 8, 2018
Brazil
Playing on a 1080ti, Ryzen 7 1700 stock, 16gb RAM, from SSD. at 3440x1440 with the ultrawide fix, everything max except for AA (off), borderless. Performance in the main city is pretty bad. Getting constant drops and stutters, sometimes even inside buildings. Outside the city it was solid 60.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I love that 21:9 but that screen bug when transitioning into battle is pretty bad. Its so close to perfection.

B0BBD07E0BC2C153A9A0618C015ACE905275B618

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Playing on a 1080ti, Ryzen 7 1700 stock, 16gb RAM, from SSD. at 3440x1440 with the ultrawide fix, everything max except for AA (off), borderless. Performance in the main city is pretty bad. Getting constant drops and stutters, sometimes even inside buildings. Outside the city it was solid 60.
I also playing on UW fix 1440p on [email protected] + 1080ti with max settings and Reshade (MXAO, Vibrance and Lumasharpen). Getting 80-90fps. Maybe, it's due to your CPU.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Tonemapper Sharpen a factor in the ghosting or just personal preference?
I don't think so? I figure tonemapper sharpens the whole image, while the other sharpness setting is specifically for the TAA. I have a mix of both because the TAA sharpen seems to help, but too much makes it look bad in motion.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Code:
[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=16
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.5
when using this should I also have the in game AA on 6? or none.

el_skywalker

Feb 8, 2018
Brazil
I also playing on UW fix 1440p on [email protected] + 1080ti with max settings and Reshade (MXAO, Vibrance and Lumasharpen). Getting 80-90fps. Maybe, it's due to your CPU.

Is the game supposed to be CPU intensive?

It's weird though, 'cause upon some (very superficial. I might clarify) monitoring, CPU nor GPU seem to be even near max load.

Not a deal breakers since this instance seems to be an exception, and the game runs fine otherwise, but still kinda sucks...

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
when using this should I also have the in game AA on 6? or none.
Keep the in-game AA high.

Is the game supposed to be CPU intensive?

It's weird though, 'cause upon some (very superficial. I might clarify) monitoring, CPU nor GPU seem to be even near max load.

Not a deal breakers since this instance seems to be an exception, and the game runs fine otherwise, but still kinda sucks...
I'm running with an uncapped framerate, and my GPU is at max most of the time. CPU doesn't get quite as high most of the time, thankfully.