• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a long week...

Once this mod is complete I think Preta deserves a tag, like "Maestro" or something. This is so wonderful.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Apologies. I didn't realise the Special Edition released in the west. That's good news. So he's willing to license music for the west, as part of the SE, it just comes in a CD and is not included in the game itself. I still don't fully understand the logic behind this but at least it shows he's willing to release his music outside of Japan.

I'd still like to know why they didn't include the proper soundtrack in the game itself though. Plenty of companies do Special Editions where they give you a copy of the OST but they usually reflect the music from the actual game. If Sugiyama is holding the music back as a way to strongarm people into getting the SE or going to his concerts, he's still shitting on fans regardless.

He's either an idiot, or he's as dumb as a fox.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Count me among the many that are excited about this! I adore the game but an orchestral OST will do wonders for me personally. :) Can't wait!

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Really great to hear the mod is about done. Can't believe it took like a week after this thread got posted to reach this point. I didn't mind the music personally, but its great to have the orchestrated music.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I love that we somehow went from "It's probably not possible due to x y and z and even if it is it will be a lot of work" to "we're ready for insertion".

As someone who works on mods like this, that's actually a huge amount of progress to make in just a few short weeks time. Respect to the people working on this!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I love that we somehow went from "It's probably not possible due to x y and z and even if it is it will be a lot of work" to "we're ready for insertion".

As someone who works on mods like this, that's actually a huge amount of progress to make in just a few short weeks time. Respect to the people working on this!
It's mostly due to the fact that Unreal Engine 4 is such a known entity, so someone working in the Unreal Engine community on scripts to unpack the game could quickly get access to the game (despite it's comically primitive form of encryption), and things went up from there.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's mostly due to the fact that Unreal Engine 4 is such a known entity, so someone working in the Unreal Engine community on scripts to unpack the game could quickly get access to the game (despite it's comically primitive form of encryption), and things went up from there.

Yeah, I've been following along with this. Still, this is pretty fast and good work!

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I do think some were trying the downplay the probability of getting a music mod so that people wouldn't be tempted to wait and instead pick up the game on immediate release.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
the existence of this mod is the only reason why I've been staring at my unopened ps4 copy for the last 2 weeks...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I do think some were trying the downplay the probability of getting a music mod so that people wouldn't be tempted to wait and instead pick up the game on immediate release.
There's not really a conspiracy here, people were just genuinely doubtful that it could happen and didn't want people to skip the game over the music.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
No, it was just lack of knowledge. I was one of the people who said it, and it's because I tried to unpack the thing myself and it was clearly encrypted. And it was. It just turned out that the decryption key was a bog standard easy to guess string. If it wasn't that, it would have been harder to do.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie I was pretty depressed when I started this thread cause the possibility of this mod ever happening looked bleak based on first responses. Glad to see we appear to be close. Any idea how long we will need to wait?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
No, it was just lack of knowledge. I was one of the people who said it, and it's because I tried to unpack the thing myself and it was clearly encrypted. And it was. It just turned out that the decryption key was a bog standard easy to guess string. If it wasn't that, it would have been harder to do.
It helps that it was literally just two simple bitwise operation (XOR against that key, and then a NOT, if I followed infogram correctly), so assuming you know how the header of a pack looks like, and know your way around a hex editor, it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
The alternative would have been to extract the key from the .exe (since they game needs to have a way of decrypting it, after all). That might have taken much longer, if they had used a proper encryption method, say AES.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So... this is.. This is the POWER of the PC eh?
f78.gif

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So according to some replies I should be able to run the game fine with my current setup, but I did want to check if there were any current deals on any PC components that would give me a significant performance boost?

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it's coming along so well! I really hope those of us who want to play the 3DS version don't have to wait too long for a translation patch, though. No idea if anybody's even working on it, right now. :/

EDIT: Since I don't have a clue about that stuff- is it a matter of copy-pasting the existing script of the Steam-version to the 3DS-version? I assume it's not as easy and there has to be some kind of optimisation with text-boxes and stuff. But do they need to manually check and correct every single text box in the game?
Then there is also the additional content of the 3DS version, which contains unique and untranslated text. Does one of you know how much of that there actually is? Will it take presumably a long time to translate or are there really only few lines here and there? Just want to mentally prepare myself for a long wait, lol.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Glad it's coming along so well! I really hope those of us who want to play the 3DS version don't have to wait too long for a translation patch, though. No idea if anybody's even working on it, right now. :/

EDIT: Since I don't have a clue about that stuff- is it a matter of copy-pasting the existing script of the Steam-version to the 3DS-version? I assume it's not as easy and there has to be some kind of optimisation with text-boxes and stuff. But do they need to manually check and correct every single text box in the game?
Then there is also the additional content of the 3DS version, which contains unique and untranslated text. Does one of you know how much of that there actually is? Will it take presumably a long time to translate or are there really only few lines here and there? Just want to mentally prepare myself for a long wait, lol.
If someone wanted to do a 3DS translation mod, using the script in the English version would help out & would cut down a lot of work sure, however knowing a lot of people on that scene & guessing that the English version takes a lot of liberties, they will likely refuse to use the official English version as a base, because it "ruins the game"

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Omg this is such good news. I haven't bought the game yet, was waiting until this was an option. Between that and getting 60fps, I'm really happy that this released on PC.

Big thanks to everybody involved in this, really appreciate the effort and sharing it with the rest of us.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
If someone wanted to do a 3DS translation mod, using the script in the English version would help out & would cut down a lot of work sure, however knowing a lot of people on that scene & guessing that the English version takes a lot of liberties, they will likely refuse to use the official English version as a base, because it "ruins the game"

Oh gosh, I really hope that's not the case. oO

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm one of the modders involved with the Orchestration Overhaul mod. Just wanted to give you all a link to the page so you can follow our progress. We will be updating as often as possible throughout the week.

Preta is a woman, just saying.

Anyways, thank you for working on this, it really means a lot to me and so many other Dragon Quest fans. Welcome to ERA as well as I see that's your first post. I will follow said updates in the steam forums.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm one of the modders involved with the Orchestration Overhaul mod. Just wanted to give you all a link to the page so you can follow our progress. We will be updating as often as possible throughout the week.

Also, special thanks to Preta; we literally could not do this without him. Send him good vibes everyone :)

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1739968490573373255/

Everyone is amazing on doing this. I can't say thank you enough for the work that's involved.

Scenedikemon

Sep 17, 2018
Preta is a woman, just saying.

Anyways, thank you for working on this, it really means a lot to me and so many other Dragon Quest fans. Welcome to ERA as well as I see that's your first post. I will follow said updates in the steam forums.

Apologies, it's not come up in group conversation. I've edited my original post to reflect that. Thank you for letting me know!

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

Also, special thanks to Preta; we literally could not do this without her. Send her good vibes everyone :)

Link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1739968490573373255/

You guys are awesome! Great work!

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preta, Scenedikemon and everyone involved.

Tag these beautiful people please <3

Once this mod drops ama pull the trigger and get the game.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Keeping an eye on this. Although I'm 90 hours into the post game on the PS4 version.

Will be nice to revisit the game on PC with the music mod.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Given that the most difficult part (the injector) is not cease-and-desist-able, I wouldn't worry.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
So,how will this work? are the orchestral songs encripted in the game files or something?
I didn't follow this at all tbh,so i'm a little lost.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So,how will this work? are the orchestral songs encripted in the game files or something?
I didn't follow this at all tbh,so i'm a little lost.
No. Orchestral versions were officially released, but Sugiyama wouldn't allow their use in-game. Preta took these versions and edited them to loop perfectly. The team is now in the process of replacing the in-game versions with these orchestrated versions.