Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
re: DQ7, It's not even that it's "midi", it's that it's just not very good as midi.

I hesitate to call it bad, but there are lots of good midi soundtracks and DQ7 is just not one of them. It is just there, might as well play on mute. From what I've heard of 8's and 11's, they're no different. Going-through-the-motions versions of orchestrated tracks.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Itd bother me more if i gave a shit about dq's music. Ill just try and see if i can turn off all of that music and overlay it with something better.
Why cant they at least sell that orchestrated track as dlc tho if its about that scumbag being greedy

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Itd bother me more if i gave a shit about dq's music. Ill just try and see if i can turn off all of that music and overlay it with something better.
Why cant they at least sell that orchestrated track as dlc tho if its about that scumbag being greedy
Because that way , part of the money would go to The platform holders and to square-enix.
and that guy want all the money , 100% of the money

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... I had no idea Dragon Quest XI's music was going to be all midi... That actually might be what makes me not purchase the game. I felt weird about the battle system seeming hollow, but knowing that the music is also on the hollow side, too, it kills me. The music just feels... Flat.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even play the Dragon Quest games, but I just want the soundtracks. Please just sell them all in the US so I can buy them and not resort to illegal downloads and expensive ass imports.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even play the Dragon Quest games, but I just want the soundtracks. Please just sell them all in the US so I can buy them and not resort to illegal downloads and expensive ass imports.

The prices are quite reasonable as far as cd prices for soundtrack goes. Shipping is also fair. But then again I'm also accustomed to Japanese CD prices after buying for almost 2 decades.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... I had no idea Dragon Quest XI's music was going to be all midi... That actually might be what makes me not purchase the game. I felt weird about the battle system seeming hollow, but knowing that the music is also on the hollow side, too, it kills me. The music just feels... Flat.

I'm hoping that the orchestrated OST gets modded into DQXI on PC.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guess that's one of the few blessings of not having an ear for music. Personally I couldn't care less and probably wouldn't notice unless I paid close attention.

So in for the CE day uno

Mar 17, 2018
Can't you put something on the media player and just here the voices or something if you really hate it that badly? Like cut the music and only have voices and whatever music you want?

Mar 17, 2018

Honestly, I never have the music blasting in ANY RPG game lol. I just hope the atmospheric stuff is good. Like in Witcher 3 I don't have music but at the lowest levels in the background. They have fairly nice atmosphere in that game and others. I don't think this is going to kill me, and I think people might overlook anything good about the soundtrack. There is always a lot of hyperbole around this game and its music.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
I'm getting DQ11 and I'm getting it on the very first day it's released

best of luck in you guys' efforts to get them to include orchestral music for the overseas versions

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Eeesh..I forgot about this..hopefully it won't impact my enjoyment of the game too much. I'll just hope the OST grow on me eventually.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm pretty sure "MIDI" isn't the issue, and that most games use synthesizer music. They just have better "instruments" (soundbanks, synths, etc).

Synthesizer doesn't have to sound bad.

I loved DQXI, but it seriously brought the game down. The thing is, it's probably more important for DQ music to use high quality instruments than any other JRPG series. It's a huge shame. I think they need to find a new composer, who can create tracks that are reminiscent of Sugiyama's distinctive style. Regardless of how important his music is for the series, right now it's being wasted.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm definitely in the minority here, but I vastly prefer the midi soundtrack of the original PS2 release of DQVIII over the western orchestrated tracks. They just felt off to me.
It sounds like someone with a tape recorder recorded it from a mile away. I think it sounds really bad actually. If properly recorded it wold make a huge difference, but if the sound quality is like the video in the op, then I'm not sure I prefer it tbh.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother me too much but I would rather the orchestrated version but I will take what I can get.

I am getting the collectors edition which comes with the orchestrated soundtrack so I can wonder what could have been.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like many here, there's nothing wrong with MIDI soundtracks. When it's done well it can be great.

Fuck I follow many chiptune artists for that reason.

DQ11's arrangement is so bad that I can't believe it's a thing. It's like the composer wants to go retro, but skipped the SNES generation, jumped over the NES generation, and settled somewhere near the first generation of Atari 2600 games.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with DQ11 is that, if CDs and concerts are such a focus of his, the songs are going to be composed for the orchestra as opposed to the pleasant, memorable, or catchy MIDI-style tracks from days of yore. In a sense, sabotaged.

So it's not like the IDEA that catchy, MIDI-style stuff still be in games is unsound ... If anything, the DQ11 case is helping to prove that the art of doing it well might be becoming a lost one.

That said, S-E needs to snag the DQ main theme rights the minute they have the chance and jettison Sugiyama if at all possible. But that's just my two cents that none of y'all will read or care about. Enjoy the discussion folks.

I'd be fine with it if they did it right. Get Ryo Yamazaki to operate the synth. Bam. Instant guaranteed success.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Offtopic from Dragon Quest, but another patch you are absolutely going to want is the yoshis island 3ds music patch. "new yoshi's island 3ds music improvement"

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I actually like the MIDI or whatever ones. The orchestral ones don't seem to 'fit' as well for me. Plus the synth is kind of nostalgic.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still thinking what to do, normally I would buy this game day one on PS4 now I'm more inclined to wait for a music patch on PC, upgrade my graphics card and buy it on Steam or something. I may not get the game day one now, it a shame really but I loved DQVIII orchestral soundtrack it was a big part of my enjoyment of the game.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
At least PC players of DQXI will be able to mod their OSTs.

We PS4 players will be stucked to pre-historic Sugiyama bullshit.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
People will rationalize anything, lol. 'Doesn't matter, I prefer MIDI anyway', oh my God
It's almost like that's what the series has always sounded like...

There's a reason they keep the OG SFX in the JP versions. Most Westerners just don't have an attachment to them because they're newer to the series.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It's almost like that's what the series has always sounded like...

There's a reason they keep the OG SFX in the JP versions. Most Westerners just don't have an attachment to them because they're newer to the series.

I feel like you're half right with this. Yeah there's certainly an attachment to a lot of the aesthetics of Dragon Quest which really have a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" design philosophy.

But there's two things you're missing.

The fact that a lot of Japanese releases have orchestra music in them and Sugiyama makes it difficult if not impossible for people in the West to experience the same thing because "reasons."

The huge disparity between the lush 3D visuals and the horribly outdated synth soundtrack. There's no excuse that a game made in 2018 should sound like that.

Also, preferring poor midi over live orchestra is a really bizarre take in this case. It's like the musical equivalent of preferring Rob Liefeld over Alex Ross or McDonald's over a high quality steakhouse. DQ compositions were clearly made with orchestra in mind (I mean Sugiyama IS a conductor with experience composing for TV and movies)

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These GORGEOUS environments....
Dragon-Quest-XI-combat.jpg

....bleep bleep bloop bleep bloop ffsssssshhhhhhaaaaaa (synth strings)

It's really jarring quality difference between what you're hearing and what you're seeing. Reading that others are going for Steam for a possible mod patch is.... actually pretty damn tempting.

VIII had orchestra added for the West by S-E without Sugiyama's approval and he's supposedly very bitter about it.

Dude sounds every bit of stereotype of an old cranky man.

Really surprised they haven't changed composers. He's alright, but I'm hard pressed a long-standing series that didn't do fine working outside of the box.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you are telling me DQ games in Japan are orchestrated, but when they are released in the US the music is replaced with MDI version? LMFAO