• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It is really weird and dumb that this is still a thing. It doesn't help that seemingly every single Dragon Quest trailer uses the exact same main theme to the extent it feels like self-parody, either.

Also if it is for concert sales, has Square Enix not told him that literally every Distant Worlds, Eorzean Symphony etc. sells out pretty quickly??

Seems like the franchise is only bound to improve once the composer steps down. Sure he's a visionary (even if he denies war crimes yikes) but variety is necessary, especially for such a long running franchise. If Final Fantasy still had Nobuo Uematsu for every game I'd be just as disappointed.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, at least we have some hope on PC. I am going to wait and see what happens there and will grab the game if/when music mods arrive.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna get this on PS4 but I'll likely go PC just to slot in the orchestral music. Such a joke.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Well, it's far from being my #1 disappointment with gaming, but it's outrageous all the same. It doesn't make any sense, it's simply a ridiculous thing to happen in 2018 and in DQXI's case it will arguably hurt the game's chances (I can see it having a visible impact on reviews...). Why Square-Enix is doing nothing to address this is just... bonkers. (Also, just fire the damn guy already, I have no pity for war crime deniers.)

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I will play the steam version if someone mods the orchestral soundtrack, no way im playing the game with that horrible midi music, it sounds awful and feels so out of place with the wonderful visuals of the game.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
The music was really bad in the E3 demo I played. I couldn't believe my ears. Even putting his politics aside, Sugiyama is a liability to the series.

Is there any actual evidence it's due to concert sales and whatnot, though? Not that I wouldn't be surprised, but still.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I only recently found out about the music thing and holy hell I can't believe SE thought it was okay to put that garbage midi in the game. Just replace that piece of shit. Ill buy the Steam version and mod it.

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
I sank like 100 hours into the Japanese release of DQXI and the music never took me out of the game. It just sounds/reminds me of the DS games. The new compositions themselves are nothing to write home about, and Sugiyama is indeed a scummy individual, but I always thought the cartoony music fit the charming and cartoony visuals. It's a bummer it's going to cause people to miss out on this game, because it's really wonderful.

Nov 1, 2017
Its disappointing for sure considering DQ VIII has one of the most beautiful combinations of art and orchestrated music I've ever seen but I'll take a localized DQ game where I can get it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I wonder if Sugiyama will flip out if/when he learn of orchestral mods?

I imagine the same thing happening

*Sugiyama sipping some tea*: I hope those Americans are grateful I was gracious enough to allow one of my CDs to be included in their copy of the game after daring to defy me before. As if I'd let them hear my glorious orchestra music while playing.

"Sir! The Americans have found a way to put your live music IN the game themselves!

*Sugiyama spits out tea*: WHAAAAAT?!

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Dragon Quest is much more than its music.

If non orchestral music is a deal breaker then you're not a real DQ fan imo.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And that's why I'll be getting DQ11 on PC. You can bet I'll be injecting the game with the orchestral score. Fuck you Sugiyama.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate MIDI. MIDI playback is like a tiny orchestra playing live just for you. Very lightweight too. I hope it makes a comeback in the industry.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That's all well and good, but Dragon Quest will NEVER get out of its niche with such archaic sound design. Potential newcomers, something the series REALLY NEEDS, will be turned away.
What?

Srs, even the non orchestral music is still better than in most games.

The "archaic sound design" is not the reason why DQ didn't take of in the West.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
What?

Sure, for the record, I thought games like Builders sound fine, I'm not completely against synth or anything, it just sounds particularly awful in XI.

Also, I'm not saying the music is the SOLE reason DQ hasn't taken off, I'm just saying it really doesn't help the series get new fans.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
What?

Considering the response to the awful sounding music right now, I'm going to say it's gonna hurt. Games in the SNES and PSX era sound far better. I mean, at least hire a good synth operator. Ryo Yamazaki isn't retired.

This whole soundtrack was purely MIDI and the instruments that sound so real are Ryo Yamazaki's work as synth operator. Same for Unlimited SaGa.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Considering the response to the awful sounding music right now, I'm going to say it's gonna hurt. Games in the SNES and PSX era sound far better. I mean, at least hire a good synth operator. Ryo Yamazaki isn't retired.

This whole soundtrack was purely MIDI and the instruments that sound so real are Ryo Yamazaki's work as synth operator. Same for Unlimited SaGa.

Great example. Wish we knew exactly what went on in XI's development that made the soundtrack sound the way it does. Was it just a really bad Synth programmer, was Sugiyama just really desperate for concert ticket sales, or maybe SE just wanted to really add incentive for a Switch version with voice acting and Orchestra music?