DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Dec 23, 2017
I bought a used Dreamcast several years ago just so I could play Sword of the Berserk: Guts Rage, lol.

Happy anniversary!!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Still mad it never had a NiGHTS sequel after the console name and controller evoked the 3D pad and the world of NiGHTS

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
beautiful! my goal is to get this dreampi setup going & get my dreamcast back online by the us 25th on 9/9/24

also good on OP for posting from threads rather than the nazi site

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I got my first Dreamcast from Time Out arcade. In the summer of 99 some rando approached me with a Japanese Dreamcast and a few games, wanting $99. I really liked the system and bought a US version on 9/9/99.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite console of all-time. So many amazing memories playing PSO, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2 and more.

I bought a Hallmark Dreamcast Christmas ornament to put on my tree this year lol.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got a terraonion before I heard about why I shouldn't support the guy. My drive was on its way out. Now it's future proofed a bit, but I need to look into how to get it online.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Glad I bought one ages ago just to play Shenmue. The month they announced the Shenmue remaster. But still. Awesome console.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Happy Birthday!🥂

So many good memories. Also, it still gets me the OG colour wasn't blue like here in the EU.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
The Japanese Dreamcast I bought on my first trip to Tokyo in late '99 is the only classic console I still own. Too much emotion wrapped up in it To ever sell it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Imported it in 1998 myself with Sonic and a few others. Sonic was a letdown for me even then, but Power Stone and eventually Soul Calibur were triumphs! US launch(nearly a year later!) had a pretty good amount of titles added too.

So many incredible enhanced arcade ports. Was just a fun little box with quick fix greats(and PSO).

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best console I've ever had the pleasure of playing on. Shocked that there are still so many IPs locked away from that trove of titles.

Would love to see some Power Stone revival!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Soul Calibur is still one of the GOAT fighting games. Still looks and plays great for its age.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
been exclusively a Nintendo / Sony guy my whole life, but I have a soft spot for the Dreamcast. A big part of it was the awesome port of HYDROOOOO THUNDER!!!!!!!

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I still have my Dreamcast somewhere in the drawer lol.

I wonder if it'll still turn on, I'd think the cmos battery is probably dead if it has one.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Still my favorite console of all time. I freaking loved the Dreamcast so much.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Mine too.

Sega were at the top of their game creatively. Giving all their studios their own identities and complete freedom led to some of their best work.
That was such an incredible time for them and it's a shame it didn't work out in the end. It felt so short lived.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
So many good memories from the Dreamcast considering how short of a time we had with it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First console my brother and I bought on launch day. System was pure magic. So many fond memories of the console and all my friends coming over to see and play it.

I was obsessed with tracking down every magazine with any new pics or info on Code Veronica and Castlevania. Castlevania leaking online recently was a childhood dream come true, even with it being in such an early state.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Blimey 25, magical memories loading up Sonic Adventure, enjoying the intro FMV and speeding off the beautiful beach that is the first level, then being told I also needed to get a memory card. My favourite Dreamcast game was the epic Shenmue II.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Hooked mine up last week to an old CRT and been playing through Skies of Arcadia for the first time.

The Dreamcast launch and first year is one of my fondest memories in my life of gaming.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
One of the best. I still remember September 1999 and the following months very fondly. I stayed up all night playing through the entirety of Sonic Adventure when my family got our Dreamcast. I was like...12. Hah. Good times. I still keep mine plugged into a CRT and play it whenever I'm in the mood for it.

Also got a decent collection for it. Love my Dreamcast!

tIqxW6Y.jpg

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I NEED Sega to figure out how to get the price/cost of a Sega Dreamcast Mini down to an affordable point for them and for consumers. As someone who never got to experience the Dreamcast, I just love how aesthetic as hell the console is and want to experience those games the easiest way possible. I know one could always buy one and mod one, but that's too much work. I don't care how long it takes but I'd be there day 1 for a Dreamcast Mini.

So why aren't we getting a Dreamcast mini?
Basically, the cost is too high for Sega to mass produce for consumers. It's not that they don't want to do it, they do, they're just struggling to figure out how to bring the cost of the parts down so the overall price of a Dreamcast Mini is a price that'll make people want to actually buy it. So, as of now, they're unsure as to whether or not it'll happen unfortunately.

See here:
This comes from Adam Koralik's latest video, shedding some light on why the Dreamcast mini probably isn't happening. Having worked with Sega in the past, he has some insight on the matter, sharing what he heard behind the scenes.

"So what's stopping it? Technology," says Kotalik. "If you want to get [the Dreamcast] into a little mini box like [the Genesis Mini], you really only have two ways to do it. You either build this perfect Dreamcast emulator from the ground up [...] or you do a low-end version that's running PC ports."

Kotalik then recalls a conversation he had with Sega about this very topic, with the company not approving of either option. "The problem is, honestly, that if we want to re-release it as a console, it's going to be 300 bucks [...] Nobody would be happy with a $300 price tag. People would be expecting $100, so people would be mad. [You would] get a high-quality product that just prices too many people out."

Source: TheGamer

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Castlevania leaking online recently was a childhood dream come true, even with it being in such an early state.

it was such a treat! reminded me of years back when the good folks at assemblergames (rip) did an xmas dump of the toejam & earl 3 prototype, i was so happy

finally getting the fan translation of rent-a-hero this year was amazing

There are currently 35 games that have active online functions, though the servers are made/run by fans.

dreamcastlive.net

Games : Dreamcast Live

List of online Dreamcast games.

this is what i'm talking about, can't wait to join these folks

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Am I crazy for thinking that if Sega can't at least get the cost down for a Sega Dreamcast Mini, they should at least consider making a Sega Dreamcast Collection for PS5/Xbox/PC/Switch?
sega-dreamcast-bios.gif

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
They are probably better off porting Saturn and Dreamcast games to modern platforms and having people pay for each one

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Blimey 25, magical memories loading up Sonic Adventure, enjoying the intro FMV and speeding off the beautiful beach that is the first level, then being told I also needed to get a memory card. My favourite Dreamcast game was the epic Shenmue II.
I'll never forget my copy of Shenmue II getting delivered to the wrong house somehow, and then even though there were in the same neighbourhood, that person sent it back. I was so mad lol. I had already waited weeks for the delivery.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Shemnue, Skies of Arcadia, and Power Stone were some highlights.

Edit: oh and Crazy Taxi!

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They are probably better off porting Saturn and Dreamcast games to modern platforms and having people pay for each one
That's what I'm saying! A $59.99 collection with 15-30 games from the Dreamcast ported onto the PS5/XB/PC/Switch with some fixes and maybe a couple of bonus features kinda like an Art Museum or something as we see in other collections like the Mega Man Battle Network Collection. If they can't get the Dreamcast Mini to be a thing, this feels like the best alternate solution

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast was really special to me. Playing Shenmue for the first time is up there for best moments in gaming for me.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

this is sadly much more likely than a collection, especially given the work they'd take - nevermind the compromises made by all the old non-M2 collections

ps3/360 gen saw a mini dc collection of ports and some heavy hitters from the saturn, and sales across the board then were underwhelming enough that they killed the effort before skies of arcadia & shenmue saw HD ports

time has passed & even the merch on their store shows that they realize love & nostalgia for the dreamcast is higher these days, but i'd still be pleasantly surprised if they put any real work into this library of classics, sadly. i'd be over the moon if M2 decided to work on saturn & DC more someday though

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
The Dreamcast got me back into gaming and I've never looked back. I recently decided I want to try for a complete North American collection. Not sure if it's realistic or not, but it's been fun trying to get there. I'm only up to 30 games right now. At one point, I had close to 70 but had to sell it ALL due to a financial emergency. I'm in a much better place now.

Mar 23, 2019
I was a high school senior when it released in the US. I had a group of friends with open lunch and then a study hall afterwards. For months, we drove to my house, ate lunch in the car, then played Dreamcast for 2 hours. Glorious times.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, 25 years ago (in a few days) I got my Dreamcast with Virtua Fighter 3tb and shortly after getting Sonic Adventure and Blue Stinger. Most amazing console ever!

I'm old ã… ã…