Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Happy birthday to the most beautiful console ever made. Just an incredible design at the time and to this day.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
That's what I'm saying! A $59.99 collection with 15-30 games from the Dreamcast ported onto the PS5/XB/PC/Switch with some fixes and maybe a couple of bonus features kinda like an Art Museum or something as we see in other collections like the Mega Man Battle Network Collection. If they can't get the Dreamcast Mini to be a thing, this feels like the best alternate solution

Highly unlikely to get 15-30 games on a single disc given the various rights holders. Would love to see Sega do genre collection like dreamcast/naomi/model 2 racing games fighting games etc. Would they sell enough to warrant the work? I am not so sure.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Happy birthday! Will have to say the library of games holds up very well today.

PSO is still just as addictive today. Hope we get a modern port of Blue Burst or something.

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
Still to this day my favorite console ever made. I know there are objectively better systems and systems I own more games for, but there was something about the Dreamcast. I bought an import Dreamcast that first Christmas with VF, Sonic and soon after Sega Rally 2. 90's arcade Sega was something special and finally getting good arcade versions was magical. Also the creative output from internal Sega is still to this day unmatched in my opinion from 1 studio for a 2 year time frame. So many classics I can't name them all. You realize Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia came out in 3 consecutive weeks in the U.S.? This is the kind of output I'm talking about. I don't even want to count the hours I put in on PSO. While I think the top Nintendo games reach higher highs, Sega released so many more very high quality games that spoke to me. Dreamcast forever!

Edit: just counted them up and pretty sure i had 55 games in that small 2 year period just for U.S. releases much less imports. Amazing time.

Last edited:

Seik

Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
Still one of my favorite consoles of all time. Still a shame Sega went to shit during this era, it could've had so many more titles.

LimeTime

Jul 17, 2023
I first played Dreamcast very shortly after it's launch in 1999, not from buying it, but from renting it with Sonic Adventure. Sonic Adventure looked so fucking amazing to me. I was utterly gobsmacked by the graphics.

I didn't actually own a Dreamcast until they announced they were discontinuing it and steeply dropped the price. I already hitched my wagon to the PS2.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I first played Dreamcast very shortly after it's launch in 1999, not from buying it, but from renting it with Sonic Adventure. Sonic Adventure looked so fucking amazing to me. I was utterly gobsmacked by the graphics.

I didn't actually own a Dreamcast until they announced they were discontinuing it and steeply dropped the price. I already hitched my wagon to the PS2.

The graphics on the Dreamcast were quite something. It was quite the jump from the PS1/64/Saturn, where the 3D was still pretty rough.

JimLink

Oct 13, 2023
Time flies... Happy 25th birthday to the most beautiful Sega console! Its design is so pretty.

25? My mind immediately defaulted to like 15 years ago…and now I'm a bit sad.

Dreamcast was absolute magic at that time (well, on the US release). One of the last memories I have of being completely astounded by the incredible tech we had in video games.

It was truly on another level.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
My immediate family never owned one ourselves, but my cousins had a Dreamcast so I associate the system with positive memories of visiting them throughout the 2000s. The console always had a vibe that I appreciated. Gaming felt a little less fun after Sega stopped making consoles on the regular.

There are currently 35 games that have active online functions, though the servers are made/run by fans.

dreamcastlive.net

Games : Dreamcast Live

List of online Dreamcast games.
Impressive.

Oct 29, 2017
As all others have said, it was pure magic.

Rez, all the Naomi stuff, PSO, all the shmups, fighting games, etc etc. Golden Era console for sure.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Still my favorite console of all time. I freaking loved the Dreamcast so much.
same. using all of it's online features in 99/2000 made me feel like i was living in the future.
i rented the system after it's european launch, with sonic adventure, mvc1 & soul calibur. i almost lost it when i saw SC running.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Still my GOAT - god I love this console. Still got my original with all VMUs etc in the garage

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Love the Dreamcast!
Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue 1 and 2, RE:CV, SF3, MvC2, PSO, Power Stone series, the list goes on and on.
When I think about the Dreamcadt I think about blue skies and lots of colors. It had such a uplifting vibrant vibe!

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
Jesus it's been that long? Dreamcast was the first console that I was able to get at launch. Worked my ass off in Burger King and would buy EB gift cards so I wouldn't spent the money lol.

Jurassic579

Oct 27, 2017
Still a very cool console.

Why did it die? I Remember it was cracked pretty wide open. You could burn cd-r and play with no modification right.

I Remember a story about how they cracked it But can't Remember it. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023
Happy birthday, king! The most Fun I've had with a console ever. And the console that taught me patience, with 60 part download files on rapidshare to burn that game.

The feels...

oprah-inhale.gif

Scruffy

Oct 28, 2017
I vividly remember going to Toys R Us on launch day and picking up the console with Soul Calibur. I was in heaven that day.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Highly unlikely to get 15-30 games on a single disc given the various rights holders. Would love to see Sega do genre collection like dreamcast/naomi/model 2 racing games fighting games etc. Would they sell enough to warrant the work? I am not so sure.
Then I'll take 5 minimum, 10 maximum, and some bonus features we commonly see in collection games like a Music Player, digital Art Pieces etc

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Odd timing as I was in Tokyo a month later and picked one up on a whim. It was really amusing coming through immigration with my briefcase in one hand and my DC "briefcase" in the other.
Played some Bangaio today. Good stuff.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
My most exciting Christmas was when I got my Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure. Goddamn, Sonic in 3D was mind blowing to me.

The next year I got Skies of Arcadia and my mind was blown again.

Just give me more Skies of Arcadia, Sega!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Why did it die? I Remember it was cracked pretty wide open. You could burn cd-r and play with no modification right.

I Remember a story about how they cracked it But can't Remember it. Anyone care to refresh my memory?
Almost everyone was waiting for the PS2, I felt like a hipster at school for championing the Dreamcast but I loved it.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
A Dreamcast with a GD-Emu and fan mod (it's so blissfully quiet now!) remains perma-plugged into a CRT in my home office for when I need to dip away from modern games for a bit and relive some delicious arcade nostalgia.

My favourite console of all time.

this is what i'm talking about, can't wait to join these folks
re: PSO specifically, there's an official PC port called "Blue Burst" which has all the episodes including a PC-exclusive episode 4. It's also ran on fan servers these days but it's where the bulk of the community is.

Some servers have features like XP boosts, adjusted drop rates, hardcore modes, etc. incase you want an accelerated dip back into nostalgia-land.

Yup, no mods necessary. Games had to be trimmed a little to fit on a CD-R but few games actually used the whole capacity of the GD-rom anyway and those that did a simple audio bitrate crunch usually sufficed. Back in those days, most used built-in TV speakers and home cinema/hi-fi setups were rare so I doubt most could even tell the difference in audio quality.

SEGA had also burnt a few dev/publisher relationships back during the 32X/Saturn fiasco so some had hesitation about jumping aboard too. EA most notably.

Last edited:

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Then I'll fake 5 minimum, 10 maximum, and some bonus features we commonly see in collection games like a Music Player, digital Art Pieces etc

I think that would work but it would be like a Capcom collection, Sega collection, Midway collection etc.

Agree they would be awesome collectors pieces with art and extras.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
I think that would work but it would be like a Capcom collection, Sega collection, Midway collection etc.

Agree they would be awesome collectors pieces with art and extras.
Given SEGA's treatment of Sonic Adventure - porting an increasingly broken port of a port of a port rather than going back to the original Dreamcast version - I wouldn't hold out hope they could do a collection worth having.

Waht you'd get is an outsource job to a company like Digital Eclipse and it would be awful.

DiegoPaulino

Aug 24, 2023

The hype for the PS2 + Supply chains and developers having trust issues with Sega + Sega not having enough money to support it + One of the easiest consoles for piracy.

The Dreamcast wasn't considered a financial flop like the Saturn or the 32X but Sega was bleeding hard for N! factors at that time and the Dreamcast wasn't successful enough to that kind of recover, unfortunately.

Videogamebear

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely adore my Dreamcast- still got my PAL launch console with Sonic Adventure. Despite it's short life span I have so many fond memories: Shenmue was mind blowing for its time, playing soul calibur with my best friend, and skies of Arcadia had this real epic sense of adventure just to name a few!

Think I still love the Sega Saturn *slightly* more but , man what an incredible console….!

And now with both the Dreamcast and Ocarina of Time celebrating their 25th anniversaries, I feel incredibly ancient.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I still remember Robbie Williams advertising online play. I was moderately impressed at the time. But not enough to peel me away from my PC.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Happy Birthday to one of the greatest!
Playing Shenmue was a life-changing experience.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best console ever made. Introduced or popularized several features that became mainstream later, and had one of the best selections of games still to this day. Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, and others… phew… Even lesser known and not-so-great games like Time Stalkers were my jam

yankee666

Dec 12, 2020
Happy Birthday!! one of my favorite consoles of all time, top 3 for sure
9/9/99 whas also one of the greatest launch of a console, i remeber sepnding a lot of money that day
So many great games , but the one i played the most was Virtua Striker 2, yeah i know, but i loved that franchise

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Best console ever made. Introduced or popularized several features that became mainstream later, and had one of the best selections of games still to this day. Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio, and others… phew… Even lesser known and not-so-great games like Time Stalkers were my jam
Lol I liked Time Stalkers as well :)
I also loved lesser known games like E.G.G.( Elemental Gimmick Gear), which I bought on a whim and had no idea what the hell it was. Bought it because of the cover and back of the jewel case alone haha. I should get all my Dreamcast games outta the closet and post my collection here.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I remember my brother and I saving up our money to buy this. Got Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. Spent countless hours on PSO with a Dreamcast keyboard. I actually used it to send emails from the browser.

Games I fondly remember Code Veronica, MvC2, Power Stone, and Soul Reaver. There was also some co-op zombie game? Forgot the name.

What a great system.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I remember my brother and I saving up our money to buy this. Got Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. Spent countless hours on PSO with a Dreamcast keyboard. I actually used it to send emails from the browser.

Games I fondly remember Code Veronica, MvC2, Power Stone, and Soul Reaver. There was also some co-op zombie game? Forgot the name.

What a great system.
Probably Zombie Revenge. Good times.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I was a sales clerk for a local video game store called High Score here in St. Catharines, and my boss imported the Dreamcast from Japan in late '98 and kept importing games throughout the first half of 1999. He would sell blocks of time to customers who wanted to play the system and its games which was a novel idea ahead of its Canada/ US release, and we had a really good time.

What a fun, unique system with a lot of cool fun games that at first you feel deserved a better fate, yet, its fate and sales were precisely what is deserved imo. I literally witnessed piracy in real-time destroy whatever future it could have had.

Where does the time go!

Jun 1, 2021
As sad as this may be, I actually got emotional remembering the Dreamcast. So many fond memories, primarily around Phantasy Star Online. What a fantastic console.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame they botched some of the big early games (VF3tb, SR2, probably others) by using Windows CE. I remember as soon as you saw the CE logo on boot you knew it was gonna be a poorly performing game.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I bought a brand new one when they went on fire sale for $99.

I got Sonic Adventure and Soul Reaver. Eventually got Crazy Taxi, Spike Canon, Ready2Rumble, Sonic Adventure 2, and MvC2.

I think I rented Time Stalkers and a few other titles.

Boy -- what a system.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I still play my DC to this day! My favorite console of all time. 😎

DC games I still play at least a few times every year:

Soul Calibur
Tokyo Xtreme Racing 2
Mr. Driller
Crazy Taxi
Armada
Dead or Alive
Jet Grind Radio
PSO (offline, I just boot it up for the massive nostalgia kick and play alone for a bit...)

It's about time for another Skies of Arcadia playthrough....

Last edited: