Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK

View: https://youtu.be/8yz9FOI1YFc?si=iE-ZuiTeSQW9RWtw

jet-set.gif

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Damn...remember buying the DC, because I couldn't get hold on the PS2 back then...loved the console though.

25 years...I was 28 then, and 53 now.
Can't believe it's been so long 🥺

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Where's my Segagaga English translation you bastards?!?

I don't know what their Japanese marketing team were smoking (probably just weed) but they also created this:

View: https://youtu.be/VuHrvnDeWx4

Lmao, that's a really good ad though. I miss the weird ads they used to have.
Me too!!!

So many incredible games, late nights and memories. Every year on 9.9.99 we celebrate the US launch and play the hits.

This year my partner even had a cake made for the event! 😆

9DA0SZW.jpg

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!
We do the same, end up playing a lot of Chu Chu Rocket, PowerStone, and Soul Calibur. That's a sick cake, though.
Is this another thread for Skies of Arcadia begging?
Yes please, I've been wanting to replay that forever. Would love to do it on modern hardware.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so old....also I will always fondly remember the Dreamcast, had so much fun and a great time with the console. Probably one of the greatest consoles for me and so many different genres of great games over the years. Lightgun Shooters (House of the Dead, etc.), Fishing, Samba de Amigo, real online Multiplayer with Quake and especially Phantasy Star Online, also great games and experiences like Shenmue, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Sonic, Resident Evil and so many more.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Wonderful system. I was there for the PAL launch and I still have a system connected by vga nowadays. The only retro system that is always ready to play at my place.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My parents completely surprised my brother and I with a Dreamcast on New Years Eve of '99. They must have just been in a super generous mood because I honestly don't even recall me or my brother even asking for one XD

Got Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber along with it, and I absolutely fell in love with both. Soul Caliber quickly surpassed Tekken 3 as my favorite fighting game. The console as a whole really felt futuristic at the time. Coming from the PS1 and N64, the visuals were insane.

Unfortunately when we got a PS2 barely a year later, that was basically the silver bullet for my time with the Dreamcast. But I still have really fond memories of it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking crazy to me that the DC launched 3 years after the N64 did in the US.

Times have certainly a changed.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
My all-time favorite console, the one and only time i've ever waited in line on launch day to get a console (it was Toys 'R Us in Nashville at Hickory Hollow and there were only like 15 of us in line before the store opened, and they had plenty). I had skipped classes that day just to get it.
Six months prior, one of my favorite mom and pop videogame store had imported a Japanese one and had it set up and I remember being blown away watching someone play Sonic Adventure, just the speed and 60 fps (or close i think), and knew I had to get one (plus i remember the article in Electronic Monthly Gaming that had come out earlier featuring Virtua Fighter 3). I'll never forget the times I had playing Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, PSO, and especially Shenmue (and tons of other games too of course).
I miss the Dreamcast! No other memories or experiences like it.

Deleted member 129013

Dec 12, 2022
I can't quite articulate it, but that music sounds like the early internet to me.

Very jealous of people who got to play PSO online on their Dreamcast. What a cool experience it must have been.

It was. Even just chatting in lobbies some nights. I can just hear the lobby sounds in my head.

JediMasterMatt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast had one of the most amazing launches of all time. The quality of titles around the US launch was incredible. I was spoiled by not only having he system; but, also having it hooked up to a monitor via the VGA adapter and was very much spoiled by the image quality that it produced. Such a quantum leap forward that even after the PS2 launched, I kept coming back to the pristine VGA output of Dreamcast. I stayed connected for a very long time and that was likely helped by having so many arcade ports and experiences that benefited from short little bursts of play.

Thank you Sega!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't quite articulate it, but that music sounds like the early internet to me.

Very jealous of people who got to play PSO online on their Dreamcast. What a cool experience it must have been.

It was incredible. Many of us used to just sit in the PSO lobbies chatting with the unique emote system the game uses, running around goofing off before a party would form and we'd go down to the planet on a boss run hunting gear. The game had such a co-operative friendly online environment, feels like it was a unicorn time for internet gaming or something.

The only gaming experience I've ever had which even came close to those DC PSO days was the first few years of WoW, and even then it wasn't quite as satisfying IMHO.

Feb 1, 2018
One of my favorite consoles of all time, and the US launch was the best one ever! The line up was simply incredible and SEGA had something for everyone.

SEGA did everything right and their studios were at their prime. You don't find this level of creativity anymore. I still remember the day I played Sonic Adventure for the first time, it was unreal, especially compared to anything available at that time (PS1 and N64). The jump was unbelievable.

Fun fact: I used to run a fan site called "Planet Dreamcast" in Brazil which had a cult following back in 2001. Great times!

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
It was for some time my main machine to "surf" the web and I was so frustrated by it's "death" that I stopped gaming for quite some time, only returning when the PS4 was released.

SEGA will always have a place in my heart. The Master System was the first modern console that I had acess through two of my cousins. At the time and for quite some time I had only an Atari 2600 clone. Then some years later some of my cousins were gifted Mega Drives and a few years later I had my own that I still have with me.

The visual upgrade from PS/N64 to Dreamcast I think will never happen again, it was ubelieveable.

Back to the Dreamcast, I just loved it.Shenmue, Grandia 2, Speed Devils, Sonic Adventure, Delta Force, Blue Stingerr, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Resident Evil Code Veronica and so many other awesome games

Deleted member 129013

Dec 12, 2022
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility toward another member
They really put out that dog shit controller after sony dropped the dual analog controller, insane
Talk about drive-by shit posting. You don't like it stay out and don't ruin everyone enjoying themselves.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

this is literally the top of my most wanted fan translation list
i used to check the progress on that one blog years ago, but it's not moved in ages sadly...lotta amazing ones coming from the scene in recent years though, so i'm holding out hope!

again, finally playing through rent-a-hero earlier this year was such a treat, like yakuza before yakuza

absolutely beautiful
sega made me love double decker systems so i gotta track down that karoake part one day

Me too!!!

So many incredible games, late nights and memories. Every year on 9.9.99 we celebrate the US launch and play the hits.

This year my partner even had a cake made for the event! 😆

9DA0SZW.jpg

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

this is so cool!

Fun fact: I used to run a fan site called "Planet Dreamcast" in Brazil which had a cult following back in 2001. Great times!

oh man i remember that site, you're awesome!

They really put out that dog shit controller after sony dropped the dual analog controller, insane

it's a little more upsetting since they had just nailed the saturn model 2 controller years before, still the world's finest pad

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Despite its questionable controller, it's been my favourite console since I acquired one in high school in 2002 (after the DC's cancellation). Loved the games and I loved the homebrew scene at the time (DreamSNES, Quake, Beats of Rage, etc.).

It is still connected to my office TV (through OSSC). I feel like getting a VGA splitter to play it more regularly on a Viewsonic CRT monitor I use with an old Power Mac G3. Rez looked amazing on it the last time I tried.

OP
OP
DECK’ARD

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Despite its questionable controller, it's been my favourite console since I acquired one in high school in 2002 (after the DC's cancellation). Loved the games and I loved the homebrew scene at the time (DreamSNES, Quake, Beats of Rage, etc.).

It is still connected to my office TV (through OSSC). I feel like getting a VGA splitter to play it more regularly on a Viewsonic CRT monitor I use with an old Power Mac G3. Rez looked amazing on it the last time I tried.

Image quality was one of the Dreamcast's strongest features.

Games looked gorgeous.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
There never was and I think never will be another console that so closely matched my interests and aesthetic preferences. My favorite of all time.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
dc_quantum_fightpad_ctl_p_sv52q0.jpg
I love Dreamcast, but yeah the controller shape is my least favorite aspect. The grips just feel wrong and I remember my hands getting uncomfortable after long play sessions, even as a kid. Actually preferred my third party controller!

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I moved house during the pandemic and in doing so had to consign my retro collection to the basement, which includes a couple of Dreamcasts.

Over the weekend I decided to hunt it all out ( including the other consoles) and hook it up to a Retrotink 5x scaler - mostly to test that out. My 7 year old daughter has fallen head over heels in love with Crazy Taxi.

I had no idea it was the 25th anniversary. But the Dreamcast and other consoles are not going back into boxes.

She also loved Sega Rally on Saturn more so than the Dreamcast version...but that's another story :)

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Playing PSO for the first time was such a magical experience. Playing an RPG online was so ahead of its time.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
dc_quantum_fightpad_ctl_p_sv52q0.jpg
I love Dreamcast, but yeah the controller shape is my least favorite aspect. The grips just feel wrong and I remember my hands getting uncomfortable after long play sessions, even as a kid. Actually preferred my third party controller!

I never minded the stock DC controllers but I have a friend who really hated them, said his hand always cramped up after a few hours with one.

Yeah, we used to have marathon DC gaming sessions with Soul Calibur and Super Monkey Ball. 😎

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Shoutout to the devkit dreamcast bootup:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtNu_IHxgc

arguably better than the consumer imo

From memory, that wasn't just the dev bootup but also the boot screen when you had a particular save on one of the VMUs?

Fake edit: Maybe I'm just recalling seeing boot logo from emulators lol. Here's more info on the Puyo Puyo alternate BIOS menu:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkHNyiJPZtk

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Played VF3 to death on Dreamcast. The arcade sticks were really nice as well.

Thanks for posting! This thread has been a great trip down memory lane.

No problem!

I did not get my import Dreamcast in late 1998, I got mine in April 1999 with VF3 for some trade-ins at a local import shop near Chicago (The Game Club) and I too played VF3 to death. I got Shenmue in December 1999. It was incredible, coming from a PS1 and N64 and no 3D-accelerated PC.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else here have to periodically open up their Dreamcast and slightly bend the pins to stop the Dreamcast from resetting?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else here have to periodically open up their Dreamcast and slightly bend the pins to stop the Dreamcast from resetting?
The power pins? Absolutely! In fact, I read a tip that if you use the pointy ends of toothpicks, they should keep the pins from separating. Can't remember where I read it, but can guarantee that my DC still has them in there lol

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Might just be my favorite console. I can't play All I Want while driving without getting all nostalgic and shit, lol.

I miss this Sega so fucking much, the AESTHETIC of that era is just on another level. Now it's all here's the next 23823578th Yakuza game, fuck me.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
One of my fav Twitter accounts for a while has been this Japanese one dedicated to just posting cool rare Dreamcast stuff
SA1.jpg

WQFa608-1.jpg

20231127-015354.jpg

Kenji Eno right at the back in that last pic there with his hands up in the air, lol. Things like this keep me going on that hellhole
Neat. Also, Amy's dress looks a lot better when the skirt doesn't need to be a perpetually perfect hoop.

I don't know what their Japanese marketing team were smoking (probably just weed) but they also created this:

View: https://youtu.be/VuHrvnDeWx4

Pfft, this was hilarious.