LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Analog stick replacement process from the Youtube clip I posted earlier
QZjk3xu.png

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Lol, I had to do a Google-search to see if Sony would get sued for the DS Edge.

Langdell was a gaming industry scourge for years. At one point, he actually did develop video games, mostly in the 1980s. He was more known for sending legal threats to anyone who used the word "Edge" in any kind of product associated with video gaming, or arm-twisting his way into licensing agreements over the word. He was a big reason Soul Edge's release in the west is called Soulcalibur.

ezekiel

Banned
Jul 6, 2022
This might go down as the best controller ever made. Hopefully the build quality is better than the Elite, I went through two of those.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...ra-customizable-controller-for-playstation-5/

"Today, we are thrilled to unveil the DualSense Edge wireless controller for PlayStation 5, the first-ever high-performance, ultra-customizable controller developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Designed to give you an edge in gameplay by allowing you to create custom controls, the DualSense Edge wireless controller invites you to craft your own unique gaming experience tailored to your playstyle.

The DualSense Edge wireless controller features a number of hardware and software-based customization options for creating a completely personalized controller experience, including:

Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it's recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you've found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you'll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you're facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

fa7975cb00071aacefd92669d6a9219873f6cd94.png

On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.

Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.

47c5c1e58387ede96a5f931bd9e99591e83c3741.png

Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.

In addition to the included stick caps and back button sets, the DualSense Edge wireless controller comes with a USB Type-C braided cable, which uses a connector housing to lock into the controller so it's much less likely to slip out at a crucial moment. The included carrying case, which keeps your DualSense Edge wireless controller and components together and organized in one place, allows you to charge the controller via USB connection while it's stored in the case.

Daisuke Kurihara, Art Director, led the controller's design process and shares a few insights on how it was created:

"The opportunity to create the DualSense Edge wireless controller was a dream come true for our team. We wanted to build on the legacy of iconic PlayStation controllers by creating a controller that empowers players to experiment and personalize elements based on their own unique playstyle – whether they are a competitive gamer or someone who just enjoys having more options to customize their play. The DualSense Edge wireless controller also features a number of thoughtful design touches that we hope players will enjoy, including a distinct DualSense controller-inspired black-and-white color scheme and a unique PlayStation Shapes pattern on the touch pad and trigger surfaces.

"We are thankful to the many gamers, professional esports players, and developers who helped provide feedback on the controller's design."

Daisuke Kurihara, Art Director

In the months ahead, we look forward to sharing more details about the DualSense Edge wireless controller, including launch timing, and can't wait to see how the PS5 community unlocks the full potential of the controller's customization options."

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Being able to replace the analog sticks would be good given it's inevitable they will drift. But it's the same shape as the Dualsense and seems to have the same button positions and d-pad, all of which I find less comfortable than the Dualshock 4. Also, given their track record for build quality with the Dualsense so far, no way I'd pay what they're gonna ask for this.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
OP updated, please stop blaming me now lol

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Ultra-customizable controls: You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours by remapping or deactivating specific button inputs and fine-tuning your aim by adjusting stick sensitivity and dead zones (the distance your analog stick moves before it's recognized in a game). In addition, each trigger is adjustable with options to tailor travel distance and dead zones to your preference. For example, you can manually reduce travel distance of the triggers for faster inputs in competitive FPS games or reduce the dead zone for precise throttle control in racing games.

Ability to save multiple control profiles: Once you've found your ideal control settings, you can save them to unique profiles and swap between them on the fly. With the DualSense Edge wireless controller, you'll always have your preferred controls for your games ready to go, whether you're facing Norse gods and monsters in God of War Ragnarök, or rival players in an online battle royale.

On-controller user interface: The dedicated Fn button allows you to easily adjust your setup while staying focused on the in-game action – quickly swap between your pre-set control profiles, adjust game volume and chat balance, and access the controller profile settings menu to set up and test new control iterations while in game.

Changeable stick caps and back buttons: Three types of swappable stick caps (standard, high dome, and low dome) help you stay comfortable in game while maintaining grip and stability. The two swappable sets of back buttons (half-dome and lever) can be configured to be any other button input, putting more essential controls at your fingertips.

Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

Built-in DualSense wireless controller features: The DualSense Edge wireless controller retains the signature comfort and immersive experience of the DualSense wireless controller when playing supported games, including haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, built-in microphone, motion controls, and more.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Analog stick replacement process from the Youtube clip I posted earlier
QZjk3xu.png

I wonder why it's labeled "Fn." Doesn't make sense if it's an unlock button. Maybe we're getting multiple layers with Fn modifier buttons?

Edit: blog is up

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh... general button remapping. I don't know why they couldn't extend that to the original dualsense (i mean, aside from making more $), but that's nice.

Probably not allowed, but would be interesting to be able to map analog stick to gyro.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What else should he have added to the OP?
"Just announced at GamesCom, more details will soon be posted on Playstation Blog but short video showed back paddles, removable and customizable thumbsticks, and a switch for multiple profiles"

Geoff did actually say words that contained information, the announcement wasn't literally just a picture. Not asking for a thesis, just a little bit of effort 🤷‍♂️

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
The bottom of the 2 handles are fully rounded on this new one, rather than being sliced or cut off on the old one. Seems like the old Dualsense is the real edge controller.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you're almost certainly right.
You were actually right

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
dead zones to your preference
Yeah fair enough it's good that you can change deadzones on this. But no reason you shouldn't be able to with a standard Dualsense on PS5 too.

Everything seemingly being saved locally on the controller worries me a bit too. I don't want to map the back buttons to another button. I want the back buttons to be exposed as separate inputs to PC games/Steam so I can map them to whatever action I want myself. Let's hope it does that, otherwise it's a bit useless.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
So they even mention paddles in the blog?

Edit: they call them back buttons.

Nothing for me here with this controller

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
Looks like only two paddles as opposed to four? Kind of a deal breaker for me.