• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Are you able to use bin/cue files? I have some from ages ago on my flash drive and don't feel like redumping my games into ISO format...

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
13d47e57-c9e8-47b6-bxok7v.jpeg

Yeah, I'm using whatever USB controller I want on Series X with a Titan Two adapter. No extra input lag.

what a time to be alive

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
is there any way to reduce input lag? its pretty massive for me. emulator also crashes a lot.
but the fact that i can run ps1 games on my xbox in 4k...thats fucking dope.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't really tried emulation on my Series X yet... I assume it works just as well!

Do any proper PS2 emulators exist? Would love to play the first 3 Silent Hill games.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
If you get whitelisted, you will have access to retail apps that include Retroarch, Duckstation, PPSPP Gold, etc... You do not need a dev account or switch to dev mode to use these retail apps on a Series X|S.

Thanks for this ive applied to get whitelisted on the discord channel, but dont understand the bit about being notified when you got access? Prob being thick but can someone clarify how you know your whitelisted, or do you keep checking?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Thanks for this ive applied to get whitelisted on the discord channel, but dont understand the bit about being notified when you got access? Prob being thick but can someone clarify how you know your whitelisted, or do you keep checking?

In the Discord there's a channel called "gamr13s-announcements", there they post when they have added more people to the whitelist.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
is there any way to reduce input lag? its pretty massive for me. emulator also crashes a lot.

Haven't noticed any input lag. There's a run-ahead setting but it doesn't seem to work on the standalone version. On RetroArch the run-ahead setting does work when running the DuckStation core. You can remove 1-3 frames of input lag.

I haven't really tried emulation on my Series X yet... I assume it works just as well!

Do any proper PS2 emulators exist? Would love to play the first 3 Silent Hill games.

PCSX2 core works fine on RetroArch. You can play Silent Hill 2/3 in 60fps/widescreen with cheat codes on Series consoles. The first one also runs 60fps/widescreen on DuckStation.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How high can the settings go on XSX version without breaking framerate?

Any videos that show off the games running at the nest possible performance?

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to stream through Twitch using an emulator on the consoles?

Also - thanks to everyone helping out make this whole thing clearer. Trying out the whitelist route as I didnt want to have to mess with dev mode. Im excited to try it out.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Slightly off topic, but has anyone ported lottes-crt or crt-geom to Duckstation's config format?

Or any recommendations for good crt shaders that beat the included simple scanline one?

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic, but has anyone ported lottes-crt or crt-geom to Duckstation's config format?

Or any recommendations for good crt shaders that beat the included simple scanline one?

You gotta use the DuckStation core on RetroArch to get shaders working. That's why I don't like this standalone version. CRT-newpixie is so good.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
You gotta use the DuckStation core on RetroArch to get shaders working. That's why I don't like this standalone version. CRT-newpixie is so good.
Dang, I like the simplicity of the standalone for my use case.

Maybe I'll dig in and see what it takes to add Duckstation's config header to the glsl. Drat it's already slang, that's more work than I can be bothered with to port.

Last edited:

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a particular setting to get the controller to work? It doesn't respond to any of my commands. I don't have this problem when playing through RetroArch. Do I have to set up each button manually? Controller works in the Duckstation menu just fine, but doesn't work in game.

Edit: Nevermind, I had to remove my Brook Wingman XB for it to recognize my Xbox controller. The Brook Wingman XB works great when connecting to a DS4 controller, though. Just don't have your Xbox controller connected or there will be conflicts.

Last edited:

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Hot damn, does R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 look incredible on this emulator. I was using Beetle through RetroArch before and Duckstation blows Beetle away.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I got added to the whitelist already and grabbed the apps including DuckStation. Super easy :) does this thing remain now or will it disappear if firmware updates come out? Not sure I understand how microsoft allows this on retail units but hey I love that they do.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
As always, first post nails it. I'm seriously considering getting one this holiday after seeing Einhänder and Chrono Cross running at 4k60.

Chrono Cross title screen at 60fps seemed so smooth compared to the original, damn!

Imagine telling your younger self in 1999 you would be playing PS1 games on a platform that didn't even exist at that point. And the current Playstation did not support any game prior to the previous one.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. It was the only console I couldn't make work via Retroarch on my PC, is the process different for the series X?

The rest of consoles required the Core and my own Bios only, PS2 demanded its own folder structure and even then it didnt work (PC experience)

PCSX2 is the emulator to play PS2 games through Retroarch although I haven't tried setting it up yet. Supposedly it plays PS2 games great on Xbox Series consoles. I suggest looking though this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-299-xbox-series-s-is-an-emulation-beast-mvg.331526/ to find the answers you're looking for as well as YouTube. Searching "Ps2 Xbox Series X" on YouTube will bring up the best tutorial to get started.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Need to check this out, I haven't messed with PS1 emulation in a while. Seeing these games without the textures warbling around is such a trip.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry for being a scrub but is there any worries that if I brought a Series X for this someday I wouldn't be able to use it for emulation anymore? Not too savvy with this stuff.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Just wondering, I understand that Series S is probably being used as an emulator machine because of the price. But would the Series X run emulation even better? Or do emulators don't require that much additional power?

Emulation mostly relies on CPU power instead of the GPU and since the Series X CPU is only .2 GHz faster than the S's it won't make much difference in the majority of emulated games. The big difference with the X is the GPU power, which could conceivably come into play with trying to run 3D games at higher resolutions or framerates but from what I gather this GPU difference does not have the same impact with emulation as it does with regular Xbox Series games.

I didn't notice that much lag when I was able to use RetroArch on Series X (or Xbox One X). Duckstation may be different but I would suggest restarting your Xbox to see if that helps.

I got added to the whitelist already and grabbed the apps including DuckStation. Super easy :) does this thing remain now or will it disappear if firmware updates come out?

It won't disappear but it's possible it may stop working at some point, especially if you are in the Xbox Insider beta program. The "retail" versions of the emulators are periodically yanked from the Xbox/Microsoft store and the uploader's account closed. Then they have to be re-uploaded using a different developer account. MS is not targeting the users with this, but they do seem to be pursuing a frankly half-hearted effort to remove them from the store when found. This is probably to appease Sony or other people who might take offense. It won't hurt you, nor will it affect what's already installed on your system, but if you want/need updates you'll have to re-install the apps from whatever developer account the Discord is using at the moment so stay connected with that Discord server.

Sorry for being a scrub but is there any worries that if I brought a Series X for this someday I wouldn't be able to use it for emulation anymore? Not too savvy with this stuff.

If you don't mind switching your console to Dev mode when you want to use the emulators, and then switching back to retail mode to play retail games, I think there is little chance that emulators will go anywhere. They'll always be there unless MS changes it's tune or is forced to by developer pressure from outside the company but I don't see that happening.

As for the retail versions obtained through the Discord that don't require the Dev mode switching, I could see them being broken by future updates, and as I stated above it's a bit of a cat and mouse with the retail release and the developer uploading the content. If they get tired of paying for developer accounts that get closed then someone else will have to step up.

I am in the Insider program and RetroArch was completely broken by one of the updates I received. Furthermore, I cannot reinstall Retroarch (or any of the "retail mode" emulators) because my consoles have been given the new Edge browser which no longer triggers the installs from the links. The fact that it's broken for me is not concerning because the Discord very clearly states that being Insider breaks this stuff, but the fact is that a lot of the stuff I am running will eventually be pushed out to everyone else and that may or may not break retail installation for everyone. Nobody really knows.

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Well, i think I need to save up and buy an S now just for emulation. Just when I thought it was safe to save money hahaha. Keen to play Parasite Eve 1 and 2 at 60fps :D

Would be nice to get an emulator for the S that allows for OG Xbox games. I have an OG console, butI really want JSRF at 60 fps.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
PCSX2 is the emulator to play PS2 games through Retroarch although I haven't tried setting it up yet. Supposedly it plays PS2 games great on Xbox Series consoles. I suggest looking though this thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-299-xbox-series-s-is-an-emulation-beast-mvg.331526/ to find the answers you're looking for as well as YouTube. Searching "Ps2 Xbox Series X" on YouTube will bring up the best tutorial to get started.

Thank you!

Yeah I attempted that same tutorial before and couldn't make it work. I ended up just playing via the PCSX2 emulator directly as it never launches within Retroarch.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
I've been using duckstation and it really is impressive. Playing classic psx games in 4k is insane. You can even force pal games to run in ntsc mode.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
How hard is it to install emulators for retail? Been hoping to buy a copy of Gauntlet Dark Legacy for either Xbox/GC/PS2 but I wanted to know if it was a complicated process to play it on my Series X.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Xboxes are really becoming emulation beasts. I wouldn't be surprised if RPCS3 ends up working on those damn things soon.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wait seriously? You can boot PS1 games directly from the CD? How do you do that? I can't find the option and I downloaded Duckstation last week.

I actually haven't used Duckstation so I'm not sure. I just checked their Github to see if it was a feature and it says so in the latest entry under "Latest News"

github.com

GitHub - stenzek/duckstation: Fast PlayStation 1 emulator for x86-64/AArch32/AArch64/RV64

Fast PlayStation 1 emulator for x86-64/AArch32/AArch64/RV64 - stenzek/duckstation