• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Finally not gothic nightmarish as is Burton's M.O.
Tbf, that hasn't been his MO for ages now. This is pretty in line with the style he went with for the Alice movies and Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (despite the fact the latter would have actually suited and benefitted from his more gothic style...)

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
This looks fucking terrible. Tim Burton really needs to stop making films for Disney, the Alice in Wonderland film was atrocious too, also exhibiting a trend of wasted acting talent.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Did we really need child actors in this ? It's already annoying how it seems like human actors will take more screen time than Dumbo but now they're also putting in kids who don't seem to act well.
Ah well, at least the original movie still exists but I wish Disney would put those resources towards new movies instead of retreading old grounds.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I liked the first trailer but i'm worried now. This seems to be too much of the classic emotional movie, with way too much of the human characters.. Dumbo should be more abstract and surreal, not your typical Disney family epic.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
QtBJQIr.png

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely there day one, but I have a hard time mustering up any excitement.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Burton hasn't made a good film since Big Fish in 2003 (though I didn't see Big Eyes), but Miss Peregrine gave me hope. Baffling choice for Dumbo, however. I'd watch a Hunchback adaptation by him.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Did we really need child actors in this ? It's already annoying how it seems like human actors will take more screen time than Dumbo but now they're also putting in kids who don't seem to act well.
Ah well, at least the original movie still exists but I wish Disney would put those resources towards new movies instead of retreading old grounds.

Kids will flock to it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure all these human characters will be very interesting and not at all seem shoved in where they don't belong.

Dumbo is not a film particularly well-known for its supporting cast aside from racist crows, a mouse, and a sentient train.

I'm okay with them remaking the less popular Disney films. Recently found out that a lot of people don't actually know where When You Wish Upon A Star came from. So if they want to do Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Sword in the Stone, Black Cauldron, etc. that's cool. Those would feel less unnecessary, which I think is the main criticism of these remakes, not so much that they're bad quality-wise. They already did Pete's Dragon and I heard that turned out great.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a very loose adaptation of Dumbo, the animated film, outside of a couple of direct scenes. I'm glad Burton didn't go all, well, Burton on it visually.
It will probably be "fine", but not bring anything particularly noteworthy to the table.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
At 2:06 when she says "Fly Dumbo, fly.", all I can think of is Jason Mewes yelling "Fly fatass!!! Fly!!". Someone needs to edit that in because I don't have the talent and I'm sitting here laughing to myself.

May 5, 2018
My first thought was "gee this almost reminds me of Big Fish." And then I remembered Tim Burton did Big Fish. And then I was a little bummed that I haven't enjoyed a Tim Burton movie in so long. Those were the days.

The cast looks great. The cgi doesn't look horrific. But that trailer was dull. But I'm not really the target audience.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
*People mention Baby Mine*

Me: I will not cry I will not cry I

I sing the first little part of Baby Mine to my boys every night that I put them to bed. What a great song.

Oh, well, crying now.

More seriously, there's a snippet of Baby Mine in the trailer which seems... okay? Modern but still got an ethereal quality to it, from what I can tell, so *shrugs*

Whole thing seems very Uncanny Valley, but depending upon how bad it is, it may be my go-to version, since I can't get over those crows in the original. Last time I watched it was... 2005-ish, and man they had not aged well.

Also, this trailer has a crazy amount of spoiler'ing in it, even by today's standards.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Love Dumbo and elephants in general but this looks... bleh. Shitty child actors, CG backgrounds galore, looks too big in scope compared to the original, creepy Burton imagery... just not a good fit imo.

Dre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eva Green <3

Those child actors though ... meh. Especially the girl, she needs more diverse facial expressions.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Nope nope not touching this at all I fucking started crying as soon as they showed the damn elephant.

I was never a big fan of the cartoon but I hate animal circuses and apparently I dont even like cgi animals being forced to do tricks either.

Legit fucking upset now lol