Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Sandworm

Votes: 82 22.0%
  • Shai-Hulud: The Dune World

Votes: 265 71.2%

• Total voters

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
I regret not going now lmao. I wanted to wait to see this with friends and family. But I should've realized I'm gonna watch this at least 4 times in theaters and that wouldn't have mattered lol. The wait til Sat is gonna make this week painful fully slow.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seen it. It's better than Part 1. Not my favorite Villenueve film but it's very good despite a few complaints.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
8/10 same as first to one. A couple questions:

Why did Chani's friend stay behind to die? She was a good actress.

How did it take a regime change for the Harkonnens to think of carpet bombing the Fremen? That shouldve been the first idea

Lastly, I was confused by the final battle.
1. Where were they? The capital or the deserts
2. Did Paul dishonorably attack by surprise? The Emperor seemed not prepared at all
3. How did Rabban go from the Emperor's room to the capital streets? That was a pretty bad cut there to him and Gurney randomly somewhere else

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Zimmer was in his fucking bag.

The soundtrack when
Paul goes South

tenor.gif

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
8/10 same as first to one. A couple questions:

Why did Chani's friend stay behind to die? She was a good actress.

How did it take a regime change for the Harkonnens to think of carpet bombing the Fremen? That shouldve been the first idea

Lastly, I was confused by the final battle.
1. Where were they? The capital or the deserts
2. Did Paul dishonorably attack by surprise? The Emperor seemed not prepared at all
3. How did Rabban go from the Emperor's room to the capital streets? That was a pretty bad cut there to him and Gurney randomly somewhere else

1. Tent was just outside Arakeen.
2. I think the idea is they didn't expect him to have atomics. Baron says the mountain would protect them, Paul blew up the mountain.
3. We see Raban leave the Emperor's tent right at the very beginning of the attack, long before Paul and the Fremen get in there.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking amazing

Stilgar/10.

Which means this is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Last edited:

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
I know it's unwise to talk about a film literally an hour after you saw it, given that it hasn't really sunk in and you are still in the honeymoon period where any particular flaws might be overwhelmed by the experience as a whole...

...but I think they are going to be talking about this film for a long time. I think this will go right up there with the Lord of the Rings, both in terms of being a successful adaptation, but also in general filmmaking excellence.

I came out of it kinda speechless and I am still having trouble talking about it without going to the overused positive words, but god damn do they all apply.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
So, I didn't like the first film. As the kids say, MID at best. Introverted story telling and characters. Some beautiful visuals and a couple good set pieces. I rewatched today and after the sequel my feelings are unchanged. Arguably Villeneuve's worst and just felt like a shell of something more interesting.

This however, was really special. Laser focus story structure. Countless iconic framing. Characters you actually care about and an injection of humor. This was a really well done epic. Had a blast.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
My very non-spoilery thoughts: I loved it. I can't believe how hard they went on the possibly more controversial themes. The score was incredible. The scale immense. I connected with the characters more than ever.

Now for my very spoilery thoughts (FULL SPOILERS AHEAD):
-I'm actually surprised how much was changed here… and how much I don't mind it. The changes don't feel like they were made in order to make the product more commercial or anything. Just to trim the excess and really hone in on the main themes.
-To get the biggest out of the way: when there were first whispers that Alia may not be born in the movie, I was nervous. I feared they would just sort of ignore him. Imagine my surprise just two minutes into the movie. They leaned into the weird! Yes she isn't born yet, but I was legit shook how much presence Alia has in the story. It set up Messiah nicely.
-It just occurred to me Thufir isn't even in this. I'm not bothered. Never disliked his character, but also never really loved his book stuff.
-As a huge Jessica fan, I loved her role here.
-The Paul/Chani love theme is SO GOOD.
-Seeing his turn through her eyes was a brilliant touch.
-Because Villeneuve leans so hard into the ideas that will really come to fruition in Messiah, this really does come off as the middle part of a trilogy. Yes, this "phase" of the story is done. But it's not over. This truly sets up Messiah as the end of Paul's story.
-The attack on the Emperor's forces was shorter than expected, but I wasn't mad. I was excited to get to the more human drama.
-The Feyd v Paul fight is SO GOOD.
-Stilgar is the beating heart of the movie. He's funny, but his pure belief is what makes the rest of the story work.
-The Bene Gesserit lore is handled so well in these movies.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah, it absolutely fucking rocked. I saw it in IMAX and could feel my ribcage vibrating with some of the soundtrack. Long live the fighters and long live Denis, not that there was any doubt, but he has now fully cemented himself as one of the premier blockbuster directors of this era.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So, I didn't like the first film. As the kids say, MID at best. Introverted story telling and characters. Some beautiful visuals and a couple good set pieces. I rewatched today and after the sequel my feelings are unchanged. Arguably Villeneuve's worst and just felt like a shell of something more interesting.

This however, was really special. Laser focus story structure. Countless iconic framing. Characters you actually care about and an injection of humor. This was a really well done epic. Had a blast.
I somewhat agree. I'm pretty cold on Dune Part 1 and think it's his worst movie outside of Enemy. This is VASTLY better. The script is super sharp and it's a much more 'human' movie than maybe any of his other films. Really funny and heartwarming at times. Gurney and Stilgar do a lot of heavy lifting on that front.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with seeing this early screening is discussion won't be as much until later in the week. Lots to process, but I love the direction this movie took with the source material.

Jun 9, 2023
Just saw it.

Oh my god.

I need some time to digest it, can't stop thinking about it. Hard, unadulterated sci-fi. Unbelievable.

I need to see it again. Immediately.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Just got home from a true imax 1.43 dual laser showing

Was fucking awesome. Liked it even better than the first.

Austin butler stole every single scene he was in.

5/5 tbh

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have wait until next Sunday to see it. The wait is going to be so hard

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I also fully support using holy war instead of jihad in these two films. People nowadays don't leave any room for nuance and a film with a ton of brown and black people on their knees praying and going absolutely ape shit when
Paul says to send the houses that don't agree with his ascension to paradise
it would have just been catnip for people looking to create a false narrative.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's Peak. Already desperate for a rewatch
For those that have seen it, does Part 2 conclude the first Dune novel, or is it setting it up for a Part 3 to conclude the first novel?
First book is now complete but the film calls its shot on part 3, the ending is not at all conclusive

Which might be a little controversial to some, but I think it'll pay off big time when it's all said and done. Fascinated to see how he tackles messiah

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I'm not usually someone that feels the runtime of long movies, but I felt this one drag a bit. I think the freshness and set up of the first part helps that one move along more smoothly. Part 2 is basically 90% Fremen all the time and some monotony can set in. It's all well done, but the little bit of Irulan and Harkonnen interludes weren't enough to break up the pacing as well as part 1. The build up of Paul and the radicalization of the Fremen is worth it though, so it's kinda necessary for the story to go all in on that.

The amount of focus on the radicalization also makes Messiah super necessary for a good wrap up for this adaptation. I know it's all but confirmed , but I am honestly shocked there wasn't a "to be continued" or something at the end. It's just as open an ending as part 1.

That's kind of my feelings on the novel too. Strong start and then fades a bit, so I wasn't surprised too much.

Overall it's obviously still amazing and I could enjoy it even more with more comfortable home viewing for sure. But my initial take is that part 1 is slightly stronger but all together it's A+.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm not usually someone that feels the runtime of long movies, but I felt this one drag a bit. I think the freshness and set up of the first part helps that one move along more smoothly. Part 2 is basically 90% Fremen all the time and some monotony can set in. It's all well done, but the little bit of Irulan and Harkonnen interludes weren't enough to break up the pacing as well as part 1. The build up of Paul and the radicalization of the Fremen is worth it though, so it's kinda necessary for the story to go all in on that.

The amount of focus on the radicalization also makes Messiah super necessary for a good wrap up for this adaptation. I know it's all but confirmed , but I am honestly shocked there wasn't a "to be continued" or something at the end. It's just as open an ending as part 1.

That's kind of my feelings on the novel too. Strong start and then fades a bit, so I wasn't surprised too much.

Overall it's obviously still amazing and I could enjoy it even more with more comfortable home viewing for sure. But my initial take is that part 1 is slightly stronger but all together it's A+.
The only reason this dragged for me is because the cinema was over an hour late to start. Other than that, the film did a great job pacing itself. There was only one part where I felt it may have sped ahead to fast, but it didn't skimp out of details for the audience.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Also, it actually blew my mind how many people bought that fucking popcorn bucket at my theatre tonight lmao

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Still processing but damn what they did with Chani's character is so fucking good. One of my biggest criticisms of the book is that she's incredibly underwritten to the point of barely feeling like a character but this really elevated her. Great performance by Zendaya too.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Still processing but damn what they did with Chani's character is so fucking good. One of my biggest criticisms of the book is that she's incredibly underwritten to the point of barely feeling like a character but this really elevated her. Great performance by Zendaya too.

I'm happy to hear her role is much bigger here. That's what I was majorly hoping for in this sequel. Can't wait to watch it!