• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you rate the movie?

• Sandtrout

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Egg

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Shizonial Stage

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Larva

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Juvenile Worm

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • Sandworm

Votes: 81 22.1%
  • Shai-Hulud: The Dune World

Votes: 263 71.9%

• Total voters

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
That feels like a failure of communication by the movie if that's what you got, because in part 1 she knew that she'd possibly given birth to the Kwisatz Haderach, and she'd know why that was significant. Did the movie give you anything on the Kwisatz Haderach as a separate entity from the Lisan al Gaib, or why Paul (and later Feyd) was so important to the Bene Gesserit?

I get that mom "believes" that Paul is Kwisatz.
But from what I can tell Paul and the rest of the bene gesserit don't believe that Paul is that person.
It seems more like ay slim possibility at best. If the bene gesserit believed he was Kwisatz why would they try to help orchestrate to have Paul and family killed.

And the movie tells me that Lisan al gaib is a fabrication by the missionaries. And Paul seems to mention as much numerous times I'm the films. So I would say yes Lisan is different than Kwisatz.

My point was that me as a viewer. I don't need to know all the answers and background. The movie was extremely compelling in the story it told and it left space to later develop. So for example if part 3 comes and they explain the science of prescience then fine... If part 3 comes and continues to treat it like magic... That is also fine for me.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I get that mom "believes" that Paul is Kwisatz.
But from what I can tell Paul and the rest of the bene gesserit don't believe that Paul is that person.
It seems more like ay slim possibility at best. If the bene gesserit believed he was Kwisatz why would they try to help orchestrate to have Paul and family killed.

Kwisatz isn't prophet or leader for them, he's a means to an end. They want one that they control according to their plan

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got around to watching this after loving the first part and feel like this part lands at a 3/5.

The tonality of the film for the first third/half feels cornball as hell (I.e. Life of Brian refeeence missing the word messiah) compared to the first film and the second half of part 2 itself.

A bit like the first film, the closing arc (last 45/60mins) felt like it was on a speed run chewing through stuff to the extent I'm half expecting a directors cut. At least in the first film the turboing was like the last 15mins.

The soundtrack and soundtrack usage also felt very underwhelming here compared to Part 1 even though there's more 'epic' moments here.

I'm not familiar with the books so only basing this off the DV films. I will pick up the UHD for sure and reach but at the minute, it felt like I watched two films from separate directors.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating Piracy
I guess here is where to post it… but… the VOD may have leaked from a Korean streaming service. Full movie 1080p in Netflix quality (7mb/s bitrate)

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The jump in filmmaking quality from 1 to 2 is just ridiculous. The first 30 minutes are just ridiculous on all levels.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Friday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Decided to rewatch Blade Runner 2049 yesterday as I'd been meaning to revisit it. And it's kind of funny how the knife fights at the ends of both movies are so similar. I was cracking up at it during BR2049. It's not a negative or anything just funny.

And while I enjoyed Dune Part Two a lot, it's a bit of a weird one for me. Some changes, like Chani, are good, but others, like Alia and the condensed timeline, don't sit so well with me especially the more I think about it. It feels like there is still a better adaptation to be done. I want to see all aspects of the novel explored. I love how it goes after the political, religious, economic, ecological, and technological while still servicing human drama. And that kind of thing just needs more time.

Still way excited for Villeneuve's take on Dune Messiah.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So the sand worms began as terrifying beasts of the desert. In the second, they became troop transports and Ubers. I just had to laugh at the end when Chani puts down the thumper and gets ready to be picked up.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
So the sand worms began as terrifying beasts of the desert. In the second, they became troop transports and Ubers. I just had to laugh at the end when Chani puts down the thumper and gets ready to be picked up.
Honestly, there are parts of the film that felt so odd coming from the first film. We're talking TFU vs TLJ difference in tone to me personally.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Honestly, there are parts of the film that felt so odd coming from the first film. We're talking TFU vs TLJ difference in tone to me personally.
I don't understand the confusion here. The sandworms are terrifying beasts of the desert to anyone who is foreign to the planet. They are a total force of nature and will destroy stuff wholesale when they are engaged. This remains consistent in both films. At the same time the Fremen were never terrified of the sandworms. They revere them and worship them. They know how they function and it is a deep part of their culture. You see this reflected in both films as well.

The only difference between the two films is that Paul as the main viewpoint for the audience moves from being a foreigner to being a Fremen, hence his perspective of the sandworms and what they mean to him changes greatly.

The scene with Chani at the end of Dune Part Two is identical to the scene with Dr Kynes in Dune Part One. She certainly wasn't terrified of the sandworm which was approaching and she was ready to be picked up, until she got stabbed in the back.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't understand the confusion here. The sandworms are terrifying beasts of the desert to anyone who is foreign to the planet. They are a total force of nature and will destroy stuff wholesale when they are engaged. This remains consistent in both films. At the same time the Fremen were never terrified of the sandworms. They revere them and worship them. They know how they function and it is a deep part of their culture. You see this reflected in both films as well.

The only difference between the two films is that Paul as the main viewpoint for the audience moves from being a foreigner to being a Fremen, hence his perspective of the sandworms and what they mean to him changes greatly.

The scene with Chani at the end of Dune Part Two is identical to the scene with Dr Kynes in Dune Part One. She certainly wasn't terrified of the sandworm which was approaching and she was ready to be picked up, until she got stabbed in the back.

100% this. And beyond the different ways certain factions perceive them, the goal in Part One was not to render the worms as "terrifying beasts" to the audience even if there's a natural component of tension whenever one arrives even if it's dangerous and overwhelming.

In the Sound Design section of this video for the first film, you can see that Villeneuve worked hard to portray them not as frightening beasts, but as things to be revered in their beauty. The worms don't scream at or jumpscare the characters like a monster movie. They're ancient, majestic behemoths beyond our comprehension. They're sort of like blue whales. If you saw one in real life it'd probably be quite scary, but mostly they're just beautiful creatures of gobsmacking scale. I'd say that's perfectly consistent with and sets the stage for Dune: Part Two.

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid

Not to mention Part One literally ends with a Fremen riding a sandworm. Would be difficult to make the point more clear than that.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
22 pages into the thread I don't have much to add that probably hasn't already been said, but I do feel compelled to say that I can't remember the last time I saw a Hollywood movie where the CGI didn't stick out like a sore thumb. It was so consistent and immersive. I think there was only one shot that looked a bit iffy, when big explosions go off in the third act, but otherwise Villeneuve and the CGI team created utter magic.

In terms of story, I was one of the few people on the planet who had issues with the first movie and wasn't impressed, I thought Villeneuve dropped the ball on a few things during the adaptation process. But this movie I pretty much enjoyed all the way through, and the book changes didn't bother me this time round.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't show any of the mutated navigators in these movies right? Unless I missed it at some point. Sad because I wanted to see how they would be handled.

The mutant navigators aren't present in Dune at all. That was something that was created for later books. In Dune, the navigators are human and the only difference is they conceal how much spice they take with glasses.

It's one thing both adaptions have not bothered with, but was actually really key in the book. No-one realises Spice is used to travel FTL. It's valuable because it extends your life by a century, and keeps you fit and healthier far longer - it's the ultimate anti-aging drug. That's why it's the most valuable substance in existence. Whilst it's known the BG use it for some of their rituals and training, the fact that it's necessary to navigate hyperspace was deliberately concealed by the guild.

It's one of the very few changes that Dennis made that weakens the overarching narrative a bit. In the books, Paul ultimately wins because he threatens the destruction of the Spice, and the Guild has to back him because the alternative is their extinction. That's a key point - the true power in Dune in the first book is the guild. They just conceal their methods and source, but ultimately Shaddam falls when the guild withdraws their support for him.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I just finished it.

- It was a much better movie all around than Part One.
- I liked the changes all around with Paul's sister
- Which led to another great change in how the Baron meets his end
- Even though we have the original Dune movie and the Dune miniseries I finally got the perfect medium depicting the assault on Arrakeen. That was such a highly sought-after childhood dream realized right there.

I hope they do a Part Three to cap it out. It does lead to the possibility of more, but people are going to want to know what happens.

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it on 70mm IMAX for the fifth and final time yesterday.

It got better every time. Too fuckin good. Have no choice but to read the book now.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
All the women in the movies have more agency and role and character than in the books. It's a very clear shift from Denis, and it's a welcome change. Chani, Irulan, Jessica - even the Reverend Mother. They are all more rounded characters, and it boosts the material.

Noooooooooooo! The dream is dead.

So Denis is just smart enough to know that she needed more presence in the movie?
Irulan becomes a significant character in the sequel books (and in the original, basically every chapter begins with a quotation from one of her books, so she's a presence even though she's not really in the main story beyond the very ending). Both this film and the 2000 Dune miniseries adaptation revised the story of the first book to include her more prominently in the main events.

All the women in the movies have more agency and role and character than in the books. It's a very clear shift from Denis, and it's a welcome change. Chani, Irulan, Jessica - even the Reverend Mother. They are all more rounded characters, and it boosts the material.
I'd agree with most of them, but not Jessica. Jessica is the second most important character in the book; on the whole I'd say her role in the movies is proportionally smaller than it was in the source material.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno - whilst we see more of Jessica's viewpoint in the books for sure, he's changed her motivations a bit and made her more her own person. In the books she was very much focussed on the Duke and then survival, whereas in the film she takes a much more active role in what happens.

But yeah, can split the difference and say he enhanced three women and kept Jessica as a main character.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno - whilst we see more of Jessica's viewpoint in the books for sure, he's changed her motivations a bit and made her more her own person. In the books she was very much focussed on the Duke and then survival, whereas in the film she takes a much more active role in what happens.

But yeah, can split the difference and say he enhanced three women and kept Jessica as a main character.

I feel the opposite about Jessica, honestly. She schemes for Paul's position in the book as their reverend mother just like in the movie--but she's more well-rounded in the book vs being demonic-fetus-possessed and one-track minded in the movie. To me, that wasn't even Jessica.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Irulan becomes a significant character in the sequel books (and in the original, basically every chapter begins with a quotation from one of her books, so she's a presence even though she's not really in the main story beyond the very ending). Both this film and the 2000 Dune miniseries adaptation revised the story of the first book to include her more prominently in the main events.
Denis also said that he basically got Zendaya onboard for the role of Chani by promising her that she'll feature a lot more in a sequel to Dune if he got to make it, and that he effectively did the same with Florence Pugh for Irulan. Seems really excited to work with her more and we should see a different dynamic between the three compared to the book given how Part Two ended so I'd definitely expect we'll see a lot of her.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, the digital is really $29.99!? Might as well hold out for the UHD in a month for the same price.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Why oh why oh why can't we get an IMAX aspect home release? :(
Or at least a 16:9 one, eh? Joe Walker please!!!

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Amazing movie. Everything looked real. The design on the weaponry, costumes, locations and vehicles were crazy imaginative slick.

And best explosions ever.

He has Harkonen blood, says becoming Harkonen is the way to survive, and then by movie end has killed all named Harkonens. I assume he heads the Harkonen house now? Weird thread to introduce as a crux and then leave hanging.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Does she? Because I'm almost done with Children of Dune and so far airplane hasn't really done anything and the other characters just talk about how dumb she is. Really weird character. Feels like Herbert is bullying her

No she doesn't. Not sure why anyone would say that. Herbert was clear in the books that Irulan was a not great Bene gesserit who was used because she was in a useful position, but was by far the weakest element of the conspiracies.

She was basically a mirror of Jessica, to show what a weaker woman would have done.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
22 pages into the thread I don't have much to add that probably hasn't already been said, but I do feel compelled to say that I can't remember the last time I saw a Hollywood movie where the CGI didn't stick out like a sore thumb. It was so consistent and immersive. I think there was only one shot that looked a bit iffy, when big explosions go off in the third act, but otherwise Villeneuve and the CGI team created utter magic.

In terms of story, I was one of the few people on the planet who had issues with the first movie and wasn't impressed, I thought Villeneuve dropped the ball on a few things during the adaptation process. But this movie I pretty much enjoyed all the way through, and the book changes didn't bother me this time round.

man it's so refreshing to see a final act for a big Hollywood movie not end in a big cgi fest and just a simple 1v1 battle with great tension. I just add i hated the middle part of this movie cause i felt they spent too much time on the please believe please believe parts

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Can someone explain to me why chani is pouting half of the movie ? she knows her bf from the start didnt want all the smoke with the religious zeoulots, She can see he had no choice even convinced him to go south when he refused to do and then now she Is just pouting ? Just a tonal whiplash for me. It doesn't even feel earned cause they do not feel close at all.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why chani is pouting half of the movie ? she knows her bf from the start didnt want all the smoke with the religious zeoulots, She can see he had no choice even convinced him to go south when he refused to do and then now she Is just pouting ? Just a tonal whiplash for me. It doesn't even feel earned cause they do not feel close at all.

She wanted him to dispel the religious fervor and then they could live their lives together in the desert. The Harkonnens do not know much at all about the Fremen, they'd have been okay. But Paul will not let the feud go. It's one of the little hypocrisies of Muad'Dib, he's not truly forced into the Jihad unless he also refuses to step out of the feud (which he does refuse). Once he slays Feyd-Rautha, it's game over

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

Except her boyfriend DID choose all the "smoke." He could have stopped it. She tells him that multiple times. Paul loves to play the "poor me, I'm just a victim in all this" card, while also saying "I must sway the non-believers" and choosing to use the family atomics.

And don't forget she just wanted Paul to go south to lead his group of Fremen to safety. Not to take the Water of Life. That's why her look changes so much when he says "I will go south… to do what must be done." Paul whines the whole movie about how he sees this horrible path in front of him, then he freely walks it just because he wants revenge.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
giphy.gif

Timothy during this Scene ^ was fantastic. The music, the sandworm, his arrival, and his presence were really well done.