• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Surprised that so many on ERA don't know Dungeon Fighter Online. It's an awesome MMO beat em up.
Looking forward to this one.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Still making everything but P5A, I see. Oh well, could be fun.
And hardly any of them are going to be interested in buying a full priced fighting game based on a F2P MMO (unless it's free ofc).

The issue here is trying to sell this game to the D&F fanbase and good luck with that, in the West it is going to bomb big time like GBVS
The West is at best a peripheral demographic for GBVS, Japan being the primary focus with Granblue in general (not to mention the whole "new fighting game launching just in time for a pandemic that cancelled all in-person FGC tournaments that could've brought more attention to it" thing not helping it). Releasing a month late in NA was already plenty proof of how much Cygames cared about how it sold to us.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
As someone who was once into the super niche MMO, this is certainly not the news i was expecting today lmao

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
"New fighting game announced by ASW"
"It's not Persona 5 Arena (or even Blazblue"
Arrrrrgh. Atlus/ArcSys please why must you hurt me so.

Well, I've never heard of the IP this is based on (apparently it's a really big deal!) but ASW doesn't miss so I'm cautiously interested.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Good for them, but i want them to either do Persona 5 fighters or Capcom vs Snk 3 or ASW vs Capcom or anything i know, LoL

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
...I just realized I've known this series for about a decade yet never played it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I am starting to think that we aren't getting another Persona fighting game...

Bummer.

I will try this out. Especially if they implement rollback netcode.

*sigh*

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't THAT weird. DnF/DFO's been around for like 10+ years at this point. (15 in SK)

Granted, I think it's pretty low-profile in the States now; Nexon kinda blew it with their first go-round of it.

As for the current Global ver; I think interest just slowly tapered off over time.

That said, DnF still makes HUGE money over in SK, so there's a reason it's still going strong.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
People familiar with this IP should tells us which characters are likely to make it :P Can't get hyped otherwise.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
hehehe

the dastardly curse i placed to keep Persona 5 Arena from being made is working

keep it up, ArcSys

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Huh, didn't think a DFO fighter would come, looks pretty good. My younger brother loved playing DFO when he was a kid so he was hyped when I showed him the trailer.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If there is a MMO that makes sense to get a fighting game is tis one... The mmo has huge combos =P

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
These dudes just be perfect with pumping out fighters, just wow. I can't believe they're already on another new title lol.

Last edited:

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
If there is a MMO that makes sense to get a fighting game is tis one... The mmo has huge combos =P
Yeah the PVP was actually pretty substantial.

Here's an example with some Monk gameplay from a tournament way back, if anyone's curious:

Anyways, i'm sure the game is still a few years out, but color me interested

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
There's a trailer for the 3d DnF too

eyes.png

This looks awesome...I thought this game was a 2D game with chibi characters?

EDIT: Oh, I see, "3D" DnF...any word on when this comes out?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did they show the 3D third person DFO game at this event?

Wtf - had no idea.

Was excited until I saw it's based off some random Korean MMO. Thought it was a new IP at first. It looks really similar to GGXrd so I guess it's either been in development for a while or they're using an older engine to quickly shit this out with a lower budget. Either way, probably not gonna care too much about this.

DFO is not random.

Oct 25, 2017
They chasing all these F2P games and Fate ain't get shit smh.

I think the licensed fighter I want most (after a proper 2D Pokémon fighter) is a Fate fighting game by ASW and I doubt that's ever coming because it looks like Type Moon has super tight control over its IP. Yet somehow it seems more likely than P5A at this point lol.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They chasing all these F2P games and Fate ain't get shit smh.

I think the licensed fighter I want most (after a proper 2D Pokémon fighter) is a Fate fighting game by ASW and I doubt that's ever coming because it looks like Type Moon has super tight control over its IP. Yet somehow it seems more likely than P5A at this point lol.
As much as I'd love P5A, it is funny at this point how many games they've announced in the time since P5 came out that aren't P5A.
Fate would be nice to have too.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I get that ASW is probably being thrown a lot of money by these IP holders, and that Dragon Ball, Granblue, and Dungeon Fighter have huge established markets already. Maybe ASW has grown past licensed properties that are "too small" like Persona? But I really do feel that in the realm of the fighting game market, a Persona 5 fighting game would do exceptionally well after Persona 4, and given the current enthusiast momentum behind the Persona series. So it's too bad. It was really unique in terms of gameplay, too.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it looks cool but I was really hoping Persona 5 Arena would be their next project.

If nothing else now I'm just really curious what'll be announced for the series anniversary.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that ASW is probably being thrown a lot of money by these IP holders, and that Dragon Ball, Granblue, and Dungeon Fighter have huge established markets already. Maybe ASW has grown past licensed properties that are "too small" like Persona? But I really do feel that in the realm of the fighting game market, a Persona 5 fighting game would do exceptionally well after Persona 4, and given the current enthusiast momentum behind the Persona series. So it's too bad. It was really unique in terms of gameplay, too.
I can't see current Arc System Works making a good Persona fighting game, mechanics and depth-wise. I feel like P4A was a product of his time, and that we'll never have something like that from Arc System. Which is a shame because i really want a P5A. But i know i'll be disappointed.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see current Arc System Works making a good Persona fighting game, mechanics and depth-wise. I feel like P4A was a product of his time, and that we'll never have something like that from Arc System. Which is a shame because i really want a P5A. But i know i'll be disappointed.
Honestly, you might be right, and it's sad to think about. In September, one of the leads behind the Persona 4 Arena series, Takumi Iguchiya, left ASW after 17 years with the company. I don't know how a P5A would actually be nowadays (other than it'd look amazing), but it could also be related to why it's just not happening, in the end.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
This isn't THAT weird. DnF/DFO's been around for like 10+ years at this point. (15 in SK)

Granted, I think it's pretty low-profile in the States now; Nexon kinda blew it with their first go-round of it.

As for the current Global ver; I think interest just slowly tapered off over time.

That said, DnF still makes HUGE money over in SK, so there's a reason it's still going strong.

yeah I was there back in the day when DFO came out....wasn't even on steam the first time and you're right, NEXON blew it big time.

Anyway, is there a way to play the English version of DFO with S. Korean players on their servers?

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Put me in the camp of "was hoping their next game would be P5 Arena or at least a new BlazBlue." Then again they'd probably simplify a new Persona fighter so maybe it's for the best.

Dec 23, 2017
Wow, Dungeon Fighter fighting game?

I used to play that game when it was hosted by Nexon many years ago.

Dungeon Fighter Online is very popular in Asia I hear.