• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The attached IP doesn't ring any bells but that's not really what matters to a good fighting game, if it's good and follows the good practices people are clamoring for like actually usable netcode and online play people shouldn't have anything against trying it. People have Catherine tournaments i think you'll find some people. This and Granblue seem like some extra marketing for those games they advertise for but Arcsys does make the usual effort, i think these games aren't pressured to be blockbuster releases.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The amount of people who haven't heard of one of the highest grossing games of our time is a pretty good example of how clueless Era is about the video game industry.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who's next for us to adapt.
I still dream of a JoJo Fighters
D2N49GbUgAEl_ZV.jpg

Nov 1, 2020
The amount of people who haven't heard of one of the highest grossing games of our time is a pretty good example of how clueless Era is about the video game industry.
It's less Era vs the industry and more... west vs east in general. More specifically, Korea can be more of an unknown for those who don't already follow their scene through esports. And the Sinosphere tends to be locked off from the Anglosphere in general.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It's less Era vs the industry and more... west vs east in general. More specifically, Korea can be more of an unknown for those who don't already follow their scene through esports. And the Sinosphere tends to be locked off from the Anglosphere in general.
Stuff like Maple Story and Ragnarok Online were pretty big when I was growing up though. I don't mind "I haven't personally been exposed to this but it seems big" but some of the "why would they possibly do this" is pretty eye-rolly. It's been huge for years and basically anything talking about the biggest games of the year would show that. With people like ZhugeEX around it's easier than ever to get reports from China too.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Maple Story and Ragnarok Online were pretty big when I was growing up though. I don't mind "I haven't personally been exposed to this but it seems big" but some of the "why would they possibly do this" is pretty eye-rolly. It's been huge for years and basically anything talking about the biggest games of the year would show that. With people like ZhugeEX around it's easier than ever to get reports from China too.
When it comes to fighting games, that East vs. West distinction does matter, though. Like, it's part of the reason (next to the online) for why GBVS is relatively floundering in the West while it's still plenty active in Japan.

They're not gonna be able to capture a worldwide audience like they did with FighterZ again unless they get a property that properly resonates with both.

Nov 1, 2020
Maple Story and RO did blow up out here (where 'here' vaguely means 'Anglosphere') back then, and whatever recognition they would have in western communities would be based off of that past, unrelated to whatever their success in home and other regions may be. I don't recall DFO ever reaching those heights here, and I myself played DFO for a bit.
Sometimes properties just have major regional splits in recognition like that. Like say... Saint Seiya, compare and contrast its popularity in Latin America versus USA+(Canada maybe). Or Captain Tsubasa and the USA versus the football playing world.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ASW style is starting to feel generic. I'll give the game a shot, because this is just a teaser, but this is the least exciting teaser from them yet.
I was thinking while watching the trailer "it's crazy that this doesn't blow my mind anymore". Habituation is a crazy thing. Though this common aesthetic recent ASW games share is one of my favorites in games, regardless of how repeatedly I see it.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
looks lovely, but I wish Arc did something else with those skills and that engine.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
So subclasses from the trailer are:

M. Slayer - Berserker (Playable)
F. Slayer -
M., Fighter - Male Grappler (Playable)
F. Fighter - Female Striker (Playable)
M. Gunner - Male Ranger (Playable)
F. Gunner -
M. Mage -
F. Mage -
M. Priest -
F. Priest - Inquisitor (Playable)
Creator -
Dark Knight -
Demonic Lancer - Impaler (0:08),
Knight - Lightbringer (0:06)
Thief - Shiranui (0:07)
Agent - Hitman (0:05)

Interesting to note that Thief has the Kunoichi's Second Awakening, while the rest are in their First.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly, this is the inflexion point for ASW where if this does not have rollback, I won't even consider trying it out. But with Strive, there's a good chance of it, at least.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I played that MMO for like 2 weeks a long time ago. I played as the gunslinger class. I remember liking it but I didn't have the time and money to commit to it back then.

Last edited:

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to fighting games, that East vs. West distinction does matter, though. Like, it's part of the reason (next to the online) for why GBVS is relatively floundering in the West while it's still plenty active in Japan.

They're not gonna be able to capture a worldwide audience like they did with FighterZ again unless they get a property that properly resonates with both.

I get the idea of ASW itself possibly wanting to put its thumb on the scale if it could, but I also kind of doubt ASW has that much room to pick and choose which major multimillion-dollar IP to support with making a fighting game when those companies come in with offers. Especially when their arcade/cabinet revenue stream has likely withered to peanuts in the past few years.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I still play dfo daily since its global re-release and I even played in the nexon days too. this franchise is probably one of my favorites of all time. im hyped

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit that looks exactly like Xrd.

I'm sure people said that for DBFZ and GBVS, but come on- that looks EXACTLY like Xrd.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
No point in worrying if this game being popular in the west or not since they announced it at their own fes, which practically implied clearly who their audience are. I expect it would be localized in Chinese and Japanese at least, this IP was huge in China when you used to live there.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
P5S being a thing means that an Arena game will never, ever happen again.

But anyways this is probably a way to get the west into DFO (again) and put the franchise on consoles without putting in the effort to somehow port over the game to modern consoles.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. That game sold 480k in Japan/Asia alone, meanwhile P4A/Ultimax sold somewhere 350k lifetime combined. Worth to mention P5S's gameplay is more accessible and the potential to milk is huge with cosmetic, which are big minus for ArcSys' game.
I also know ppl cry for Fate fighter, but the current arcade is doing well at bleeding other's wallet, why make a risky venture when you can learn some lesson from GBVS.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I was thinking while watching the trailer "it's crazy that this doesn't blow my mind anymore". Habituation is a crazy thing. Though this common aesthetic recent ASW games share is one of my favorites in games, regardless of how repeatedly I see it.

I think their technique is still incredibly impressive, arguably the best in class, but their aesthetic is not. Their designs and settings kinda all blur together. Which is not entirely their fault for this game since it's licensed, but still.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing DFO like 10 years ago. I guess they really expanded the character roster since I played.

EDIT: There are character classes now!? Man. Back when I played I was like, "Yay, online Streets of Rage where you level up." How times have changed.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Been on a bit of a nostalgia train since this got announced.

I hope they bring back some of the original PvP maps and remaster the music. It's great stuff.

And here's the original ver. of the music from the trailer:

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly, this is the inflexion point for ASW where if this does not have rollback, I won't even consider trying it out. But with Strive, there's a good chance of it, at least.

I agree with that. I think I am going to need rollback from this point onward. I think it is time. I feel it coming. People are completely fed up. This is going to become the new standard.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I get the idea of ASW itself possibly wanting to put its thumb on the scale if it could, but I also kind of doubt ASW has that much room to pick and choose which major multimillion-dollar IP to support with making a fighting game when those companies come in with offers. Especially when their arcade/cabinet revenue stream has likely withered to peanuts in the past few years.

ASW's modern arcade games are only available via arcade download service. They don't make profit from selling boards or discs or carts anymore, and they haven't done so in many years. It really depends on how much Taito and Sega pays them to have Blazblue and Guilty Gear on Nesica and ALL.NET.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom can't because Bandai Namco owns the license 😭

i can't stand their monopoly over "anime shit i just want good games of"

but nooo

we get arena fighters and fuckin' jojo fortnite

Yup. I feel your pain :( They basically hold Jojo and One Piece hostage and we get shit like Jump Force and that weird looking Jojo arcade game. I'd take a sequel to the PS3 one on one fighter at this point - it looked good! Add more characters, an actual one player mode and double the FPS to 60FPS and it'd at least be a fun fighter. But I'd really prefer ASW, Capcom etc. to get the license and do something cool with it, but we all know that will not happen.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom can't because Bandai Namco owns the license 😭

i can't stand their monopoly over "anime shit i just want good games of"

but nooo

we get arena fighters and fuckin' jojo fortnite

Capcom can still make the JoJo game, but Bamco would have to publish and distribute it. Capcom used to have this arrangement for many years with Bamco for Gundam VS. Until Bamco realized why should they keep paying Capcom when they could just poach Capcom's arcade/Gundam staff, which they did. lol

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
After Gran Blue yep not buying any Arcsys game that doesn't have crossplay the playerbase is too small cant even see how bad your netcode is when I cant find a match.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

But anyways this is probably a way to get the west into DFO (again) and put the franchise on consoles without putting in the effort to somehow port over the game to modern consoles.

What? Why? P5S has been out in japan for a year.

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
ASW's modern arcade games are only available via arcade download service. They don't make profit from selling boards or discs or carts anymore, and they haven't done so in many years. It really depends on how much Taito and Sega pays them to have Blazblue and Guilty Gear on Nesica and ALL.NET.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I don't know enough to compare that model from the current one in terms of making money, outside the decline of arcades and now the pandemic surely hurting either way.

I do still think a good part of ASW's current fortune is tied pretty heavily to delivering on games like these.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit that looks exactly like Xrd.

I'm sure people said that for DBFZ and GBVS, but come on- that looks EXACTLY like Xrd.
My thoughts. It looks (and sounds) like GG Xrd, just with Granblue Fantasy Versus-style JRPG characters. Kinda makes me wonder why they do such a similar game to their already established IPs when Granblue is still kicking and Strive will drop next year.

But more high quality fighting games are always a good thing, bring back the 90s with multiple games per year. :D

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could see their point if Atlus hadn't shown a willingness to make a million spinoff games for Persona in the past.
P5S does the same job that Arena did, a way to let people directly control their favorite characters from the original game in a canon follow up, only it does so in a genre that works a lot better with the audience that plays Persona. A musou will always sell more than a fighting game, which is why that's what they went for with Scramble.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P5S does the same job that Arena did, a way to let people directly control their favorite characters from the original game in a canon follow up, only it does so in a genre that works a lot better with the audience that plays Persona. A musou will always sell more than a fighting game, which is why that's what they went for with Scramble.
So you think we're more likely to get a Strikers 2 then a 5 Arena? I guess I can see that.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
What Sega should do is ask/pay ASW to make a Persona x Power Instinct fighting game. It would solve so many problems.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This game could be the best fighter ever but if it has the trash ASW lobby I'll leave it on the shelf.
Can't stand that shit.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
So subclasses from the trailer are:

M. Slayer - Berserker (Playable)
F. Slayer -
M., Fighter - Male Grappler (Playable)
F. Fighter - Female Striker (Playable)
M. Gunner - Male Ranger (Playable)
F. Gunner -
M. Mage -
F. Mage -
M. Priest -
F. Priest - Inquisitor (Playable)
Creator -
Dark Knight -
Demonic Lancer - Impaler (0:08),
Knight - Lightbringer (0:06)
Thief - Shiranui (0:07)
Agent - Hitman (0:05)

Interesting to note that Thief has the Kunoichi's Second Awakening, while the rest are in their First.
A: This is a super useful post. Thank you for making it.
B: Why do all the characters seem to have art with them as fish?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A JoJo fighting game would be a perfect compromise to a potential Persona Arena sequel
It really wouldn't, there two different series, why should I as a Persona fan care if a series I don't like as much gets a fighter? Like cool, it'd probably be a good game but it does nothing for the Persona part of me.

And as I've brought up several times in the past an Arc Jojo fighter isn't a good idea unless they based it on just one part, otherwise your entire starting roster would just be main Jojo+villain.