Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They were talking about the people claiming a backlash will come, not the Edge review. Literally people wishing for something to fail to validate their opinion. This happened to BotW as well. I think it will be a trend from now on for games that receive a lot of 10.

About repetition, BotW did it worst, don't you think? Lower enemy types, small variation of patterns of attacks, more fetch/conversation quests, less meaningful side content and rewards.

Every game has points some will ignore, because it is not relevant to them, and some will highlight. Maybe BotW was so good to you that it didn't felt repetitive and GoW was the case for others?
Combat wasn't the focus of Breath of the Wild, exploration was. In God of War, the combat is the focus as far as gameplay is concerned.

Nov 18, 2017
Course correction? Hey dude here's an idea, maybe it was a 10/10 to other people and not yourself. God of War feels like such a classic and compete adventure to me, every moment there was something enthralling around the corner and that's what I loved about it.

Really? Did you not notice maybe a quarter of the way in, that the "something enthralling" around the corner was the same enemy you fought around the previous corner but maybe in a different colour?
Spoiler: it was a troll, ogre or traveller. 9/10 times that's what the "something enthralling" was.

Maybe reviewers felt the same, maybe they liked it so much to give it a perfect score for some other reason. I was hyped for GoW as well and it exceeded my hype, and the people who claim GoW is overrated are in in the vocal minority, bit bit you are acting like it being overrated and people now realizing it's "not that good" is an objective truth.

I like this game a lot, I think at time it touches a 9/10 and even 10/10 - but if I analyse what is happening in those moments, I'm marvelling at creature design, an environment or a cut scene. And when I think about the gameplay sections, I'm thinking about the same urn puzzles, arrow puzzles, clear-the-room challenges and yes, more trolls. Here's another troll boss again. That stuff is still fun, but you see it all early on and it just repeats and repeats.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion and challenge the narrative of whatever, but please don't make up this reality that we all think it was overhyped and we sheep are slowly waking up to the truth.

Well... I do think those reviewers overhyped it and I think in the one case I demonstrated there was a clear conflict of interest.
It baffles me anybody could 'review' the game and not comment on the repetition and pacing issues.

Oh and are we talking about "ethics in game journalism now"? Can't believe you actually went there, yeah game developers arn't allowed to do anything but be the faceless development team behind our favourite products, can't have them talking to the press!

I think you're naive to put you're faith in the integrity of Youtube reviewers/journalists when it comes to movies and games, generally. If you think a developer meeting with one of these reviewers when they just awarded their game a perfect accolade is not a calculated PR & marketing strategy, then all power to you.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Really? Did you not notice maybe a quarter of the way in, that the "something enthralling" around the corner was the same enemy you fought around the previous corner but maybe in a different colour?
Spoiler: it was a troll, ogre or traveller. 9/10 times that's what the "something enthralling" was.

I like this game a lot, I think at time it touches a 9/10 and even 10/10 - but if I analyse what is happening in those moments, I'm marvelling at creature design, an environment or a cut scene. And when I think about the gameplay sections, I'm thinking about the same urn puzzles, arrow puzzles, clear-the-room challenges and yes, more trolls. Here's another troll boss again. That stuff is still fun, but you see it all early on and it just repeats and repeats.

Well... I do think those reviewers overhyped it and I think in the one case I demonstrated there was a clear conflict of interest.
It baffles me anybody could 'review' the game and not comment on the repetition and pacing issues.

I think you're naive to put you're faith in the integrity of Youtube reviewers/journalists when it comes to movies and games, generally. If you think a developer meeting with one of these reviewers when they just awarded their game a perfect accolade is not a calculated PR & marketing strategy, then all power to you.

man, someone should give you an oscar, great arguments.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Combat wasn't the focus of Breath of the Wild, exploration was. In God of War, the combat is the focus as far as gameplay is concerned.

Combat was a sizable part of the game and it was pretty mediocre. Even exploration wise the shrines were repetitive, loot was fleeting, the actual things you were discovering were fairly pedestrian.Boss battles were terrible and some of the worst I have played in a long time. What I will give them though is it has fantastic level design which accentuates the feeling of discovery.

But to each their own. No one is right or wrong. This is all subjective in the end.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Combat was a sizable part of the game and it was pretty mediocre. Even exploration wise the shrines were repetitive, loot was fleeting, the actual things you were discovering were fairly pedestrian.Boss battles were terrible and some of the worst I have played in a long time. What I will give them though is it has fantastic level design which accentuates the feeling of discovery.

But to each their own. No one is right or wrong. This is all subjective in the end.
Are you taking about God of War or Breath of the Wild?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

And yet imo for the most part GoW still felt more interesting to explore not only visually but because even the more boring parts of travelling you had interesting and sometimes funny dialogue between characters rather than just scaling low res, low poly rock faces while link grunts.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
And yet imo for the most part GoW still felt more interesting to explore not only visually but because even the more boring parts of travelling you had interesting and sometimes funny dialogue between characters rather than just scaling low res, low poly rock faces while link grunts.

That's harsh. Traversal was fine in BOTW and it was fun experimenting around how to get to different areas.

After GoW it is hard to go back and engage in combat in BOTW though. It feels so much lesser.

I am still upset about Mario not winning more awards that year :P

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's harsh. Traversal was fine in BOTW and it was fun experimenting around how to get to different areas.

After GoW it is hard to go back and engage in combat in BOTW though. It feels so much lesser.

I am still upset about Mario not winning more awards that year :P

its just a matter of preference. If I didnt value the visuals and characters id prefer BOTWs exploration because theres more decision making involved.
But those things really do help to sell a world, and appeal more to me than the small amount of thought involved in orienteering in botw.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

Yeah. I know. That's why I also highlighted the quests, side content and rewards.

When you explore in BotW, most of the time exploration is the reward itself. Which, to me, is a poor reward. Giving me a small amount of rupees, or arrows, or even weapons that I can find throughout other quests and enemies, is also a poor reward.

BotW gives you the way to explore, and it is awesome, but it lacks in giving meaningful rewards. God of War does reward you with meaningful items, lore, or both when searching for side content, but it lacks in ways to explore.

That's how I see both games, and I totally understand that others may not see them like this.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
GOW is just the latest example of just how meaningless AAA game reviews have become (esp exclusives). If you read a review that mentions the ONLY con to be "PRO runs very loud" what else you gonna think except something fishy is def going on behind the scenes.

Nov 4, 2017
I wound up putting my progression on hold quite a few times so I could sit in the conoe and hear Mimir finish a story. It was amazing.
Amen. I went back to BotW to finish off the DLC after GoW. I enjoyed it, but the combat definitely was a step down.

And that motorcycle handles like wet dog shit :(

not_swift

May 2, 2018
GOW is just the latest example of just how meaningless AAA game reviews have become (esp exclusives). If you read a review that mentions the ONLY con to be "PRO runs very loud" what else you gonna think except something fishy is def going on behind the scenes.

I might just think that they really enjoyed the game a lot.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This game is an easy 10 for me and i'm not even finished yet. I'm really taken by the combat system. I love how much depth there is to it, and how versatile it is. This game has some awesome characters. The voice actor for Kratos did a really great job. I especially liked the quiet moments that showed us that this Kratos is very different from his past self, very introspective and self critical. Game had also a lot of funny moments which i didn't expect, Kratos has a great sense of humor. Game is a classic.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Is literally every fucking game going to be compared to BotW from here on? I'm so sick of hearing the same shit arguments in regards to that game being not as good as the new flavour of the week. It's real damn tiring.

More OT - who gives a shit if it gets every award or no award? Who cares if it got 10's or 1's? Did you enjoy it? Did you not enjoy it? What did you like or what didn't you like? Those are the important aspects of discussing games. People fall back on the metacritic, general consensus and sales of games to prove their point more than any other medium and it's such a useless fucking metric.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would think that they really enjoyed the game and didn't find anything in the experience substantially degrading to their enjoyment.

Why, isn't that what any sensible person would think?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Its a 10 for me, only thing that matters IMO

Its influenced me as a piece of art. Thats the best thing I could ever get from any of this stuff

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Sorry, what do you mean by this?
I mean every time a big new game hits there are countless discussions about how BotW is shit in comparison and it makes no sense. I was reading those arguments in regards to MHW. MONSTER HUNTER! Why is the comparison even being made? Why is BotW the target for all these people who need to argue in another games favour? I've read so much about GoW being compared to BotW, when its general framework is ripped almost directly from the Tomb Raider reboot games. Where is that discussion? Basically non-existent in comparison to the BotW comparisons.

I think the poster is upset some ppl are criticizing BOTW when comparing it to GoW. At least that's what I think anyway.
lmao no. I don't care if people criticize BotW. I care that most discussions regarding big games, especially ones that review well, end up devolving into a "why this game is better/worse than BotW" even if it doesn't make sense to compare them.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Do you only think that if it's a review for AAA exclusive? What about if it's a game like Inside and the reviewer doesn't feel there are cons with it? Is there something fishy going behind the scenes with that?

Nov 18, 2017
I've read so much about GoW being compared to BotW, when its general framework is ripped almost directly from the Tomb Raider reboot games. Where is that discussion? Basically non-existent in comparison to the BotW comparisons.

Partly my fault - I brought it up because one of the leading reviews for GoW made the comparison. But you're right, it has far more in common with the Tomb Raider reboots.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the poster is upset some ppl are criticizing BOTW when comparing it to GoW. At least that's what I think anyway.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It happens with every praised game, it becomes a benchmark and other games are compared to it.

I mean every time a big new game hits there are countless discussions about how BotW is shit in comparison and it makes no sense. I was reading those arguments in regards to MHW. MONSTER HUNTER! Why is the comparison even being made? Why is BotW the target for all these people who need to argue in another games favour? I've read so much about GoW being compared to BotW, when its general framework is ripped almost directly from the Tomb Raider reboot games. Where is that discussion? Basically non-existent in comparison to the BotW comparisons.
I don't think people are SHITTING on BotW (even critical posts in this thread have largely praised it for doing what it does well), I think they've COMPARED it to BotW, which is obviously going to happen. For some years after TW3, every game was compared to that. BotW is the most recent hugely praised game, it figures people will try and see how other things hold up to it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

so you're sick of people having dissenting opinions? why do you care? I only mentioned BOTW because someone else came in here saying its more deserving than GoW

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
so you're sick of people having dissenting opinions? why do you care? I only mentioned BOTW because someone else came in here saying its more deserving than GoW
I didn't say shit about you OR dissenting opinions?

I didn't read the entire thread, I entered and the last few posts were about BotW and it sort of set me off. Apologies to everyone who have decided to jump to conclusions.

I don't think people are SHITTING on BotW (even critical posts in this thread have largely praised it for doing what it does well), I think they've COMPARED it to BotW, which is obviously going to happen.
And I'm saying those comparisons are usually bad and misguided.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't read the entire thread, I entered and the last few posts were about BotW and it sort of set me off. Apologies to everyone who have decided to jump to conclusions.

BOTW was brought up to criticize GoW, not the other way around (at least thats what I noticed). If the comparisons are bad and misguided you're more than welcome to explain why.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they necessarily are misguided. Saying "GoW does combat better than BotW" or "BotW does exploration better than GoW" isn't an unnecessary or unfounded statement.

Incidentally this thread has been super positive on BotW as a whole lol. I have to imagine GoW fans are identifying with BotW fans right now and vice versa.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
imo people have gotten way to obsessed with awards the past couple of years. It's a cool thing to do at the end of the year, but what's really the point of arguing and speculating about it? That really ruins the whole fun to begin with.

Does anyone even look back at awards after they are over?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think what is enthralling is a collection of a multitude of things, from incredible locations and world design, engaging and fun encounters, unique and interesting combat, constantly unlocking new movesets and specials, the flow of new enemies, bosses, side bosses, cool side quests, awesome narrative developments, puzzles, character moments and so on.

It's also pretty reductive to summarise the enthralling moments as little more than copies of trolls or the same basic puzzles. As mentioned above, the game encompasses so much more than just these things.

With respect to enemies or repeat trolls, outside of the trolls there are still a multitude of different enemy types, and the puzzles are also constantly mixed up throughout the game.

Whilst there are a lot of re-skins of enemies, these re-skins generally still have differing movesets, strategies, AI, special abilities etc, which gives a good diversity of enemy types to deal with that constantly keeps encounters fresh and mixed up. The only enemy type where that isn't the case is with trolls, but even then so much time lapses between each troll face off that they still feel fun and engaging each time.

There's still a good 15-16 individual ordinary enemy types, not even including re-skins, and not including optional bosses like the Valkyries.

If your complaint was that there were too few unique bosses, I'd agree with you, but general enemies? Definitely not.

Regarding puzzles, whilst most were relatively simple, they were still fun and constantly engaging and creative. They were never so hard or far fetched that they got overly frustrating or bogged things down, instead they offered short, sweet snippets of diversity in creativity that I felt really added to the diversity of gameplay and broke things up in terms of pacing and monotony.

They also made very clever use of the axe and the relevant timing, angle and spatial awareness options, and constantly switched things up, from general axe throwing, times you throw it to freeze traps and cogs, puzzles that require specific timing and combinations in and of themselves, the times you have to figure out angles on red muscle/vein cuts to hit multiple targets in one go, or times you use helfire to chain pathways between gates and orbs, the puzzles around the runes and the different ways that's used and so on. The implementation of puzzles is diverse, clever and rewarding.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
BOTW was brought up to criticize GoW, not the other way around (at least thats what I noticed). If the comparisons are bad and misguided you're more than welcome to explain why.
I don't think they necessarily are misguided. Saying "GoW does combat better than BotW" or "BotW does exploration better than GoW" isn't an unnecessary or unfounded statement.

Incidentally this thread has been super positive on BotW as a whole lol. I have to imagine GoW fans are identifying with BotW fans right now and vice versa.
I was in the middle of writing up a reply to both you guys, on my fucking phone no less, but I just...don't have the time or energy to do it. I'm sorry. You both seem like someone it would be great to have a conversation with. Sorry it started with me being ultra aggressive.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I know. That's why I also highlighted the quests, side content and rewards.

When you explore in BotW, most of the time exploration is the reward itself. Which, to me, is a poor reward. Giving me a small amount of rupees, or arrows, or even weapons that I can find throughout other quests and enemies, is also a poor reward.

BotW gives you the way to explore, and it is awesome, but it lacks in giving meaningful rewards. God of War does reward you with meaningful items, lore, or both when searching for side content, but it lacks in ways to explore.

That's how I see both games, and I totally understand that others may not see them like this.
When I was playing God of War, any "meaningful" loot instead felt like a way to fix poor game design - a way to overcome the game's clumsy stat system or minimize the pain induced by the camera during Dark Elf encounters. In Breath of the Wild I got a resource I could use in a number of ways due to the survivalist-like nature of the game at times. God of War had some interesting encounters off the beaten path. I freed a dragon, but then nothing happened.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep they will learn it is not a 10/10

Its more like a 15/10
Its bloody amazing and probably just a gift from god to Cory to remind us of how good games can be.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who cares about awards?

It could win no GOTY awards and it will remain my game of the generation so far (unless a later release surpasses it this year) and a 10/10 for me personally. BOTW winning so many awards didn't change it from an 8/10 game for me. Awards are meaningless to me.

Oct 27, 2017
It will definitely have a bit of a backlash, and I definitely think opinions will lower throughout the year as people further reflect on the game and its flaws.

That said, I don't give a shit. Awards in the gaming industry are dumb.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Have multiple people actually said these words? I am not so sure. Regardless the game was amazing and even though you are welcome to not like it as much I feel all of those that may jump at it a bit more are a bit jealous they couldn't like it more.

I was disappointed by Persona 5. Didn't quite hate it but I love it so much that my hate for the restricted structure of the game ( not calendar, but how you could not do certain thing at times but yes at other was weird) made me stop it, but I still get why it is a great game.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
At the end of the day, it all depends on one's own personal opinion based partially on their own experience of various games.

Personally, I would argue that the only 10 out of 10 games for me were Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, and Bloodborne so far. In either case, however, I have never played any of its predecessors so my view was largely based on each game's own merits. Should BotW and GoW be granted the same viewpoint on their respective series and the current landscape as a whole? Both incorporate many good ideas from other games, there's no denying this. Both innovate upon their own formulas and expectations of what a Zelda/God of War should be. I wouldn't call them 10 out of 10 but I can understand anyone who would. I'd argue that I've seen better from either series in the past, however.

More importantly is the language of discussion and critique; people spouting anything less than a 9 out of 10 as a "hot take" and/or "nostalgia goggles" or whatever nonsense to relegate anything and all criticisms is uncalled for. Nothing is beyond a rebuttal and especially shouldn't be here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Reviews in general are pretty generous and follow the U.S. grading curve of "less than 8 = shit".

The game is a 9/10 for me regardless. I just don't think it's quite the game-changer a lot of people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.