• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I didn't mind RE3R lenght personally. Thought it was fine and on par with the original (That yeah, I replayed before. Remove all the door animations and you'll get the shortest game in the series, trust me. )

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
i hope not too long, i think 15-20 hours would be the most fitting for such games if they wanna go on longer

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't have a problem with the RE3 length either. I played through the whole thing like 4 times and had a blast.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind RE3R lenght personally. Thought it was fine and on par with the original (That yeah, I replayed before. Remove all the door animations and you'll get the shortest game in the series, trust me. )

I feel like the problem with the RE3R length is that it feels like it's over just as it finally gets going.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed running the game for unlockables is going to be fun lol

I find RE games are better shorter (not RE3 remake short though) so I hope it's not too long.

Jul 24, 2020
I have no problem with RE3s length in the sense that it was discounted pretty quickly.

Just think of it as initially overpriced DLC, and wait a handful of weeks.

RE4 length (according to How Long) says it's almost 20 hours. Even as my top 3 favorite games of all time. So I hope RE8 doesn't extend that long.

Length generally means padding in linear single player games, especially once you reach the 20-ish hour mark I've felt.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the problem with the RE3R length is that it feels like it's over just as it finally gets going.
I'd have less issue with 3's length if it didn't cut out so many areas that I loved in the original. Dead Factory was a much better end than the Nest 2.0 area, the Clocktower was a blast to explore while in the remake its diluted to just a boss fight against Nemesis, the park is cut, the city is missing several areas that were there originally... I liked playing the remake of 3, but I didn't like how they chopped out huge parts of it while only increasing the length of the hospital to compensate (granted, the hospital was a blast at least)

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I'll take a wait and see approach.

Dusk mentioned that RE3 would be semi open world with the subway acting as a travel hub (forgive me, I'm paraphrasing from memory) which turned out to not be true. As he'll come in here and say, things can change along the way during development.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how long it is as long as it's first-person. Hopefully we get a NEW (not port, not remake) third person RE game sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
re7 was like 6-7 hours. felt way too short and the ending was pretty anticlimatic. hopefully re8 fixes those problems.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully not too long. The short length and breezy replayability of RE7-2-3 is what made RE my favorite franchise of the gen

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I thought RE3 was a great length. In an age of increasing game size, I like having a short, tight experience.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Logest RE engine game just means it's more than 7 hours long I guess.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between wanting 12-15 hours and 25+ RE6 campaign.

RE is good when the pacing is good, RE4 is pretty lenghty and it's really good.
RE3 Remake is short and it's pure junk.
I would actually kill for another 25 hour RE game

Give 6 shit all you want but it was still absolutely packed to the BRIM with unique content, there wasnt actually all that much reused areas for filler besides the few crossover sections

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't mind RE3R length... yes it would have been perfect if it was 60-90 minutes longer but still it's fine by me.

RE8 will hit the sweet spot if it was 12 hours ( I expect it to be shorter than 15 hours of original RE4 ).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 and RE7 were vastly different lengths, but both felt right for the game. While RE3 did feel a bit skimpy, I'm not too terribly fussed about length as long as it's justified and feels like a complete game.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
I'll take a wait and see approach.

Dusk mentioned that RE3 would be semi open world with the subway acting as a travel hub (forgive me, I'm paraphrasing from memory) which turned out to not be true. As he'll come in here and say, things can change along the way during development.

Yes and no, i remember a trade of words with Dusk Golem about that, and most of the fake stuff came from an article of OXM (Official Xbox Magazine), he didn't deny all those fake stuff but the subway travel hub, spiders, nemesis being close to the Xenomorph on Alien Isolation, etc.. came from that magazine.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Thought this was interesting after all the people talking about how short RE3 was.

I mean RE4 long good RE6 long bad. RE3 gets knocked for its length despite being almost the same as a normal playthrough of 2 remake. But all three games were just the right length RE3 maybe could have got away with one more 30-45 minute section but that is it at most.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is almost too long, some would probably argue that it is too long, but it gets away with it having such an addictive gameplay loop and impeccable level and enemy design.

I wouldn't want any RE game to be longer than RE4 at least, it needs the gameplay to justify it most importantly.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need it to be that long. Longer than RE3 certainly but I didn't finish RE7 and think "this was too short" personally.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
More important to me is replay value. 4 had a lengthy main game, plus some nice bonuses focusing on Ada, but Mercs mode was where I got easily 100+ hours of play time. Ditto can be said for 5 and 6.

In short, you gotta give me a truly great side mode to the tune of Mercs/Raid Mode, again, as "Survive Until Dawn" wasn't doing it for me. I hope the fact this game started out as "Rev3" means we may get another shot at Raid Mode again...

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Longer than RE6, over a single campaign?
That sounds a bit too long...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the rumors began with describing a revelations-esque spin off as what 8 now is, I feel like there probably is a new TPS entry coming

Dusk said it started off as RE8, and because it was a lot weirder it was changed to Rev 3, but then development with the "new" RE8 wasn't good as well and so that got changed and then Rev 3 went back to being RE8.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Oh god, they're going to pad it out with an open world area you have to traipse back and forth across, doing fetch quests for npcs while gathering resources for a crafting system, aren't they? Probably put an xp upgrade system in there too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the rumors began with describing a revelations-esque spin off as what 8 now is, I feel like there probably is a new TPS entry coming

Yeah. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long. I didn't play 7 outside of the demo so I don't have any interest in a continuation of that particular storyline.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably about 12-15 hours.

Seeing as the game is taking a lot of inspiration from RE4, it makes sense it would probably be about the same length.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Only care about this is the VR support is good. It's not going to be just a seated game like RE7 is it?

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Length is a bit more complicated than it sounds, since people can it eat up games very quickly while others take their sweet time, but it does sounds longer than RE7 while not 4's entire duration.

Something around 12-14h sounds believable enough.

RE:3 died because Capcom didn't cared enough, Village was doing its own thing very much separated from it (different teams altogether).