• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the "surprise game"

• Outbreak (new game or remake/remaster)

Votes: 73 9.0%
  • RE1 remake

Votes: 177 21.9%
  • Revelations 3 (finally)

Votes: 108 13.4%
  • Resident Evil 5 remake

Votes: 191 23.7%
  • Resident Evil Code Veronica remake

Votes: 258 32.0%

• Total voters

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I do know a couple of years ago that the goal was to reveal the game this year and aim for a 2025 release, but i have been hearing murmurs the last few months that RE9 might've been internally delayed for one reason or another.

I've seen it suggested that another RE game may end up being announced and released first before RE9, but know this is not something i've heard concretely.

I think the reveal of the RE game pushed forward to release before RE9 is pretty funny and would caught a lot of people off guard.

RE9, aka the rumored RE title using open-world elements.

but i wonder about this mysterious game which would caught people off guard, that would be chaotic.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, after DD2 I think if they are planning an open world game they really need to figure out any potential issues that could happen there.

I'm more than happy to take whatever RE title they put out though.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Just give me Code Veronica, so that I can stop caring about the remakes, with the whole main continuity being on PC now.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

RE9, aka the rumored RE title using open-world elements.

but i wonder about this mysterious game which would caught people off guard, that would be chaotic.

Better confirm if is actually Dusk Golem

www.resetera.com

Dusk Golem: Monster Hunter Wilds is coming in Q1 2025 Rumor

For the record, this is nothing I've ever said anywhere to anyone, this is someone faking a screenshot and trying to pass it off as something I said.

There is someone on discord pretending to be him

OP
OP
Blackbird

Blackbird

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Nov 2, 2017
I've already started showing symptoms of RE withdrawal, I need something, news, anything, as soon as possible, I don't know how long I'll last.

dom

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a whole lot of words for saying absolutely nothing

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't bought RE4R after the poor handling of RE3R and the non-remaking of CV. And I will continue boycotting it until Capcom remakes CV. So, if it's not a CV remake I couldn't care less and Capcom will continue not getting my money.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
The hearts wants Dino Crisis Remake.

The mind says Resident Evil 1 Remake.

because re5 doesn't need a remake when other games like CV could use one way more
If they do a complete re-imagining of RE5 in the style of the Remake games, then bring it on.

I love how community thinks they are remaking RE1 now.
It makes sense though. They've done all of the fan beloved ones except that.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The hearts wants Dino Crisis Remake.

The mind says Resident Evil 1 Remake.

If they do a complete re-imagining of RE5 in the style of the Remake games, then bring it on.

It makes sense though. They've done all of the fan beloved ones except that.

Does it? We alreddy have RE remake. Besides, they never hinted at this at all. At least, they have mentioned several times Veronica and RE5.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
RE5 Remake is a cursed game idea.

If Capcom makes that, the REnaissance is over. Resident Evil goes into another dark age.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there is literally no news here. "Resident Evil 9 will release at some point in the future" is not some Nostradamus level feat of speculation, nor is saying that "Some other game may release before RE9, or not." because the either/or means that regardless of what happens, they come out saying "I WAS RIGHT! / Whoops, I guess plans changed internally."

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to talk ideals... a first person RE1 remake would be an absolute dream for me.

I'll take whatever though, they're on a roll with RE atm.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there is literally no news here. "Resident Evil 9 will release at some point in the future" is not some Nostradamus level feat of speculation, nor is saying that "Some other game may release before RE9, or not." because the either/or means that regardless of what happens, they come out saying "I WAS RIGHT! / Whoops, I guess plans changed internally."
Plans are constantly in flux, so this isn't some "gotcha" observation. Even verified insiders (of which DuskGolem is) go through that merry dance because it's literally how it works. Nothing is set in stone.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
FTFY

It is 100% a remake in every way, sticking with the fixed camera doesn't negate that.
I admittedly don't know the differences. But from the outside it looks like a Crash Remastered kind of situation. It's a 1:1 remake, but it's not a remake in the sense of RE2-4 or FFVII.

But we are arguing semantics now.

In my opinion they will eventually do RE1 in the RE Engine with the same design philosophy as RE2-4.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
RE5 remake is the most likely. I'd probably prefer a 1 or CV remake (or re-remake in the former's case), but then I wasn't entirely on board with the 4 remake and that's now one of my top 10 games and I prefer it over the original. There's a much bigger window for improvement on 5 and I quite like most of that game anyway.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 5 is a problem because it's not a bad game. It's a great game - but it is the gameplay of RE4 with the soul of Gears of War. And I mean, I like Gears of War. But RE5 is when Capcom sold their soul for the sake of chasing money.

It's a dangerous game to go back to.

That's accurate.

If RE5 was when Capcom sold their soul, RE6 was the devil begging them for a refund.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Plans are constantly in flux, so this isn't some "gotcha" observation. Even verified insiders (of which DuskGolem is) go through that merry dance because it's literally how it works. Nothing is set in stone.
I wasn't trying to make a 'gotcha' observation. I was simply stating that regardless of where the news is coming from (verified insider or not), if there isn't any news in the post, what constitutes a thread?

If I go make a thread now stating that "FFXVII is coming in 2026 or later, and there may be another FF game in the works that will release before then.", the thread would get closed (and rightly so) for being an unsubstantiated rumour. I just don't get the credence put on even the most top-level statements from leakers when literally anyone could say that, or not, and none of it would be refutable.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I want it to be Code Veronica, but I've also softened on the idea of a second RE1 remake, if it's as much of a reimagining as RE2 and 3 were, but not as close as the RE4 remake is.

I also think a radical RE0 remake would be worth it if they really reimagined it, extended and expanded the train setting, completely redesigned the entire leech concept (no white robe anime guy), etc. It'd be a lot of work but I think it could be done.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Honestly, with how the DLC for 8 turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another RE6-esque struggle going on behind the scenes. I think it's interesting that Resident Evil is right back where 6 was in terms of tone, except instead of over the top Hollywood thrills, it's leaning more American Horror Story. I've honestly been worried about 9 since playing the Shadows of Rose DLC, because it was everything I didn't like about the first person entries without any of the cool stuff (and bless the poor actress playing Rose, but she needed better material or better direction).

As for the next remake, I'm convinced it's RE1. If it's RE5, I'll take it, but that game's finale is reliant on four to five games worth of Wesker, and his relationship to Jill and Chris. None of the games have mentioned him in any meaningful way other until RE4 remake.

Also I know no one wants to hear this, but RE1 is not a perfect game. It's a perfect horror game, but the controls are not accessible. I've got cognitive/neurological problems and the constant changing of the camera angles can actually be kind of tough to keep track of sometimes. Plus, there's only ONE thing I've seen the general public all agree with about this game, and that's the controls. RE's identity has been more shooter than puzzle game for decades at this point, I think it would be a missed opportunity to make the first game in the series more available to its audience.

I have one other reason for thinking it's a new Resident Evil 1 Remake: remember how RE2 was used to fast track RE3 by reusing the police station? Well, how much nostalgia do you think they could milk by having brand new assets of the Spencer Mansion in full 4k-8k?

I also think a radical RE0 remake would be worth it if they really reimagined it, extended and expanded the train setting, completely redesigned the entire leech concept (no white robe anime guy), etc. It'd be a lot of work but I think it could be done.

I want a new RE0 so they can retcon the whole "Rebecca single handedly took down a Tyrant in an Umbrella laboratory and didn't think to mention a word of it to Chris during the entirety of RE1" thing lol

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I wasn't trying to make a 'gotcha' observation. I was simply stating that regardless of where the news is coming from (verified insider or not), if there isn't any news in the post, what constitutes a thread?

If I go make a thread now stating that "FFXVII is coming in 2026 or later, and there may be another FF game in the works that will release before then.", the thread would get closed (and rightly so) for being an unsubstantiated rumour. I just don't get the credence put on even the most top-level statements from leakers when literally anyone could say that, or not, and none of it would be refutable.
I understand and agree with your point, but the seniors of this site have given Dusk Golem verified leaker status. So his word carries weight and is true and not speculation. Otherwise these threads would be locked.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Re5 still looks amazing and would be a waste to remake that. The only issue with re5 from a gameplay perspective is the re4 controls with added strafe. Update the controls.
Visuals are still good.

Dht6Ou9V4AI9D6d.jpg

Diwd10eXkAIm7lC.jpg

DjOb6GfW4AIjyhm.jpg

OP
OP
Blackbird

Blackbird

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

if you need context just read the full quote on the OP.

it's fair to have skepticism but wanting to lock a thread because you personally think you can guess what's happening is just silly.

for better or worse Dusk Golem has a visibile, traceable track-record which people are able to use it for their own judgement.

gatekeeping threads does nothing besides make you look petty.

*edit: between me replying to you and your own answer, the conflict was resolved.

it seems i was the petty one.

Last edited: