ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I mean, when you see Mika and Cammy's asses, it isn't surprising. Same thing.
Fair enough. Though with those characters you could blame it on "established designs". Not that it would be a good excuse, mind you, since they wouldn't have been the first characters to get a redesign.

I dunno. I guess I just didn't think they would try it again with a brand new character. It's so... shameless.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
But wasn't he demoted twice? Once two years ago (as you said) following the merger of Dev 3 & Dev 2 and again this past April.
Correct. You don't absorb a division like this (not really a merger), so he was demoted internally before the official date.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to catch bits of the VOD and yeah nothing really knew but a lot of confirmation about stuff that was either already assumed to be the case or stuff that was in the rumour mill a couple years back.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh yeah, I just remembered Max saying on the stream that the team mechanics were more KoF than MvC.

I wish I could get the clip.

NexusCell

Nov 2, 2017
I like Ono, I think he's a pretty fun guy, but it seems a lot of Capcom's fuckery involve him in some capacity, either directly or indirectly. He may not be the sole reason for the Capcom fighting division being so poorly managed, but he seems to have had a significant role in a lot of their poor decisions. I can see how turning SF6 into some sort of KOF inspired 3 v 3 fighter would probably be extremely poorly received by both the SF internal developers and testers. People play SF as a 1 v 1, adding an even 1 more additional character to choose would significantly warp matchups and balance.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was as dumb as making the main mode of KoF 1V1. The game got optional 1V1 mode, but the core is and is supposed to stay 3V3.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Reboot the series and call it "The Street Fighter" a la DmC.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People doubting that Capcom USA has influence over Street Fighter? Like, isn't Street Fighter a Capcom USA property?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People doubting that Capcom USA has influence over Street Fighter? Like, isn't Street Fighter a Capcom USA property?
I don't think many people actually realize that. Even in Smash, Capcom USA is listed separately from Capcom Co. Ltd. due to the former owning Street Fighter. Make no mistake, Japan still makes the games. But Capcom USA definitely has a say (Ex: SFV having a cinematic story mode at all).

Maximilian’s extended thoughts on the rumor

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I checked Max's VOD. He touches on the subject for just a minute or so at the 10 minute mark but he really dives in around the 1 hr 7 minute mark. He talks about SF6 and then moves onto Matt's Darkstalkers video until the 2 hour 26 minute mark. There were some other games touched which I found it all to be really interesting. I'm stopping there just because I can't keep watching.

From the posts in this thread I got the impression that his tone or words were harsher but he didn't say anything too crazy and at least tried to polite tip-toe around directly saying some things (even though they can be easily inferred).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/702396303?t=1h7m13s

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting SF6 until 2023. Also, it might be PlayStation + PC exclusive again, considering the rumors about Sony getting some 3rd party exclusive.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So what does Ono do now?

Darkstalkers 4 or what?
Not much, really. He's basically just a mouthpiece now.

I'm not expecting SF6 until 2023. Also, it might be PlayStation + PC exclusive again, considering the rumors about Sony getting some 3rd party exclusive.
Capcom's in a much better financial situation compared to when SFV was in development, so I'd imagine that SFVI will be PS5/XSX/XSS/PC.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much, really. He's basically just a mouthpiece now.

Capcom's in a much better financial situation compared to when SFV was in development, so I'd imagine that SFVI will be PS5/XSX/XSS/PC.
Fighting games are extremely expensive to develop, so I'd say that depends on how comfortable they are dropping tons of money into a fighting game that won't do Resident Evil numbers for them. Capcom's financial success came from milking RE and making a Monster Hunter game that they knew would blow up.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I checked Max's VOD. He touches on the subject for just a minute or so at the 10 minute mark but he really dives in around the 1 hr 7 minute mark. He talks about SF6 and then moves onto Matt's Darkstalkers video until the 2 hour 26 minute mark. There were some other games touched which I found it all to be really interesting. I'm stopping there just because I can't keep watching.

From the posts in this thread I got the impression that his tone or words were harsher but he didn't say anything too crazy and at least tried to polite tip-toe around directly saying some things (even though they can be easily inferred).

Scotia He flat out said the quirky/funny/hypersexual/childishness side of SF4/SFxTk/SFV can largely be attributed to Ono.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

OH MY GOD OH MY SWEET JESUS

So basically Max says that he knew people that worked at Capcpom and when licensing + agreements with Marvel was leading to some issues for an MvC game, they flat out went to Ono and asked "You know, why don't we just make a Capcpom All Stars, instead of trying to make a Marvel vs Capcpom?"

and Ono's response was

basically

"we already made that (Capcpom FIghting Evolution) and it didn't sell, it's not really worth doing"

He FLAT OUT says that Ono being demoted means that Capcpom All Stars might just become a thing one day

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

So basically Max says that he knew people that worked at Capcpom and when licensing + agreements with Marvel was leading to some issues for an MvC game, they flat out went to Ono and asked "You know, why don't we just make a Capcpom All Stars, instead of trying to make a Marvel vs Capcpom?"

and Ono's response was

basically

"we already made that (Capcpom FIghting Evolution) and it didn't sell, it's not really worth doing"

He FLAT OUT says that Ono being demoted means that Capcpom All Stars might just become a thing one day

Mind you, obviously he doesn't say that it will happen, just that the one big barrier to making it is removed for the moment.

If I had to guess, probably not.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
and Ono's response was

basically

WUT

Ono just lost ANY respect i had with him =|

Like i LITERALLY wanted to write and put togheter all the capcom smash drawings i did with a few more and print and give to him and ... dude =|

=/

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Capcom all stars coming out as a real thing instead of a slap dash Mugen effort would be pretty cool. So much potential for years of updates there too.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

and Ono's response was

basically

Hadn't gone through the VOD yet, just looking at your post right now.

But if I'm getting it right, Ono's been the main gatekeeper against a earnest Capcom Fighting All-Stars, and he won't greenlight it essentially because he couldn't make Capcom Fighting Evolution work and so considers the whole concept a non-starter.

giphy.gif

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Paraphrasing a bit here

Chat: "Ono was behind Deep down and that flopped too"

Max Dood: "Ono wasn't just behind Deep Down, he was behind the Panta Rhei engine. Do you think that shit comes cheap? Making a new engine? And that shit just VANISHED."

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, I liked Ono, but when you have SFxT and SFV and an entire fucking engine and a major new title built on that engine as blunders under your leadership... that's your ass, man.

Hadn't gone through the VOD yet, just looking at your post right now.

But if I'm getting it right, Ono's been the main gatekeeper against a earnest Capcom Fighting All-Stars, and he won't greenlight it essentially because he couldn't make Capcom Fighting Evolution work and so considers the whole concept a non-starter.

giphy.gif
But just this on its own...
tenor.gif

Maybe we were better off without a Darkstalkers revival in this time period.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scotia He flat out said the quirky/funny/hypersexual/childishness side of SF4/SFxTk/SFV can largely be attributed to Ono.

Man I always felt like that was the case, but for it to actually be true is just ugh. Hopefully the series can move on from it.

and Ono's response was

basically

And yeah I saw this part, it's crazy. No idea how you can shoot down the idea of a Capcom All-Stars because of a shitty sprite dump made in like 2003.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't gone through the vod yet but how is it normal that ono would lead an engine development? Wouldn't you need someone specialized in that?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Haven't gone through the vod yet but how is it normal that ono would lead an engine development? Wouldn't you need someone specialized in that?
Leading it in the sense as any project manager can lead a project. Japanese development teams operate differently than Western teams do, and in JP teams the producers have way more influence than their western counterparts where it's usually the DIrector who's the end-all/be-all of decision making.

It would essentially be Ono's job to ensure that everyone ELSE is doing their job. He wouldn't actually be down in the weeds, doing coding, he would be overseeing the people who's job it is to oversee the coding and implementation and deadlines and so forth.

I'm sure when it comes to Panta Rhei, it wasn't JUST Ono who was at fault but regardless it was still a huge fuck up that cost them a lot of money, manpower and time.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Leading it in the sense as any project manager can lead a project. Japanese development teams operate differently than Western teams do, and in JP teams the producers have way more influence than their western counterparts where it's usually the DIrector who's the end-all/be-all of decision making.

It would essentially be Ono's job to ensure that everyone ELSE is doing their job. He wouldn't actually be down in the weeds, doing coding, he would be overseeing the people who's job it is to oversee the coding and implementation and deadlines and so forth.

I'm sure when it comes to Panta Rhei, it wasn't JUST Ono who was at fault but regardless it was still a huge fuck up that cost them a lot of money, manpower and time.
Cool, thanks for the detailed explanation

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
You mean the same Western Branch that convinced Capcom to make an entire cinematic single-player mode for SFV?
To clarify/add context, since we were talking live during Max's speech, it was regarding Max talking to Capcom USA saying they should do X with Y old franchise (like Darkstalkers/etc).
Of course western branches can influence things with market studies and other, like modes, character designs, marketing... But the point was about stuff like making a new game in X franchise. Capcom USA managed to convince to do more remasters/collections through third parties, but that's about it on that side, and that's also because that was at the time Inafune was in charge (not Ono) and he was really into third party partnerships.

edit: and what lucebuce said for Panta Rhei yeah. He was in charge of that division/project, so ultimately, it was his responsibility. The other producer officially in charge isn't at Capcom anymore (apparently at The Pokemon Company now on mobile/online projects).