• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think it's Yuasa. You can see her position as of April of this year here.

image0.png

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I doubt it's Yuasa if she's living in the US lol. Must be another woman working at Capcom Japan. Whoever she is she's killing it so far lol.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If this is true i'm happy he got demoted. Nothing against games like KoF but i want SF to remain a 1v1 fighter.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'll say that I recently heard about some surprisingly ambitious plans for a new Street Fighter and I remember thinking "It's weird to hear them talking about this now when it's supposedly been in development for so long."

A development reboot would fit in well with that.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Team mechanic in SF? Seems kinda weird, maybe this guy is talking about another game (MVC4?) or Ono went totally insane and decided to screw over 30 years concept

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say that I recently heard about some surprisingly ambitious plans for a new Street Fighter and I remember thinking "It's weird to hear them talking about this now when it's supposedly been in development for so long."

You can't tease us like this, you cruel human

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Good. Get some fresh minds running Street Fighter. In hindsight why the fuck did they give Ono so many chances???

Glad 6 got delayed anyway, don't release it so soon. Let 5's final season marinate a little longer.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
so that's why its taken years to see a new SF...will be interesting to see what ends up sticking around for when it releases (like that team mechanic)

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This makes a lot of sense and I'm not shocked. The change in the fighting game division is already extremely noticeable and overall it's improved massively. I know we all love Ono and I'm thankful he spearheaded the SF revival but the division will only improve with him gone.

couldn't have said it better.

appreciate ono but he had to go especially after the sfv fiasco

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Season 5 wasn't greenlit, Season 4 content still lasted into 2020 since the Champion Edition/Seth launched this February (and might also encompass CPT plans), so that article would be correct regardless of whether this rumor is true. If anything the fact that Season 5 is so spaced out and that it's going all the way into late 2021 gives credence to the notion that this season is more of a late decision stopgap.
Season 4 wasn't called the final season at any stage . yet the 5th season is called as such, the late decision can be the notion that the season is more spread out, but not it's entire existence in the first place.

Support doesn't mean characters. They released CPT content this year, which is still support. This season was absolutely not planned.
it was absolutely planned, they even called it season V to go with SFV, it's really obvious to me, 5 years of support for the fifth game and adding 5 characters.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
As much as I liked Ono as a personality he really has been fucking up for the better part of a decade now. SFIV was his prime and it's been all downhill since SFxT. I'll miss his trolling, but I won't miss his baffling decisions within the fighting game division.

It does feel like there's reason to hope again.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah I don't think it's Yuasa. You can see her position as of April of this year here.

image0.png
Going by that, she likely took up Ono's old spot, with Ono himself being relegated to an Executive Producer. Naga probably has the links regarding the hierarchy of Capcom Dev 2 that Capcom officially put up that has all of the Corporate Officers.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So yeah I didn't see Ono at all on the stream, besides the Harada meme, but someone was saying the Capcom reps reactions were telling. Besides this news, has Ono been bad recently or something?

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

What was so ambitious?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would make sense. I like Ono but something just wasnt clicking with him for the past few years, change of direction is needed obviously. As of delays, take as much time as you need, make it right. First impressions are important.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tight enough team that saying it would identify who is talking. But it's a thing I feel like SF should have been doing to hit mainstream success a while ago.
Don't even know what this could mean aside from way more single player content at launch. They've already simplified the gameplay mechanics as much as they could.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's a tight enough team that saying it would identify who is talking. But it's a thing I feel like SF should have been doing to hit mainstream success a while ago.
So are we talking like KoF-esque teams along the lines of what SFV:AE's Team Battle mode did?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Feels like this would be a more expanded story mode or something like that. If it's hitting mainstream success, it wouldn't have anything to do with things that would get core FGC members excited short of guest characters.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
nope, maximilian pretty much confirmed it. they wasted most of their budget on the original version of sfv. and capcom was in a very different position back then.
Capcom would've found the money for the next iteration of one of its most well-known franchises. It's a crap story and everyone knows it. Granted if Sony drove up to my garage with hats full of money, why would I say no? Like I said though, it's a crap story to justify an anti-consumer practice. If it released later but multiplatform, no consumer would've lost out but would've gained instead.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least they are delaying it and not releasing a mess of a game again.

Wishing Ono all the best.

This is a crap story. SfV would have released whether Sony paid for its exclusivity or not.

It's well known that SFV would have released in 2018 at the earliest if Sony didn't pay for the game.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just thinking MvC level assists

So like the KOF NESTS era. You had teams of 4 but dedicate one of your characters into a "Striker" which you can call for assists. using a separate resource or meter in 2001's case. It led to some crazy shenanigans.

Gotta give it to SNK. They got experimental with their mainline series with Strikers and Tag Systems. I hope some of that innovation comes back someday.

Wasn't there a tweet earlier about Neo_G joking about working on SFV's new "battle mechanic"? I wonder if he's back in a consulting role for more than SFV but also SFVI

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 wasn't called the final season at any stage . yet the 5th season is called as such, the late decision can be the notion that the season is more spread out, but not it's entire existence in the first place.
I don't really think it matters whether or not they marketed Season 4 off the notion that it was the final season, particularly because whether or not it was the final season doesn't really preclude the fact that they could've still released content separate from it (and by the time Seth was released I'm pretty sure they would've already known whether S5 was a go or not to make a point of whether he's the last character out). Conversely with Season 5, they're drawing a line in the sand.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can buy Capcom having development pains with SF6. I have a hard time believing Capcom would put Ono in a position of power again after he had already been demoted (as much as their fighting game division loves to pull off CAPCPOMS), and even moreso making direct decisions on how a game plays. That's just not what Ono does anyways.
So if SFVI is having development problems that mirror the ones SFV did as presented by Matt McMuscles... does that pave the way for Sony to swoop in and money hat SFVI like they did for SFV? 🤔

Was it a good ROI for Sony?
Probably not. SFV wasn't well received and as far as I remember it had somewhat low shipping numbers right from the gate, before even poor word of mouth could factor in. And that aside, SFV never really exploded into the esports scene either the way Sony and Capcom might have thought. Although long term it made a recovery but by that time Sony was no longer sponsoring the Capcom Pro Tour.

it was absolutely planned, they even called it season V to go with SFV, it's really obvious to me, 5 years of support for the fifth game and adding 5 characters.
It most definitely wasn't, seeing that this season is wrapping up in late 2021 and they're currently in the character design stages for Rose, the second character to be released. The literally said they started working on the season after Champion Edition was released.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom would've found the money for the next iteration of one of its most well-known franchises. It's a crap story and everyone knows it. Granted if Sony drove up to my garage with hats full of money, why would I say no?

They would've "found" the money sure, but they also would've had to delay the game considerably.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
The idea of a team component in a mainline Street Fighter game really disgust me lol. Mainline SF should always be 1v1. None of this BS tag mechanic or having to fight another character after defeating the first one.

I like the character of Ono that's goofy and comes out asking people to throw the SRK pose. But if this is what he really wanted then I'm glad he's out. We'll see how the next person handles things.