• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect this topic to move so slowly with it reviewing so well. Did the early access suck up all the hype from the full release?

Sometimes I forget how much I love the FPS genre, because the modern examples of them are completely different to what I'm looking for. Based on what little I've played this seems to nail everything from weapons feel to atmosphere to mission sizes. I really want to play it more, but am progressing slowly, mostly hoping for a patch with better controller support and a fix for the settings constantly resetting everytime you get to a new stage.

It's a PC game on Era, not just that but an indie PC game. Nobody here is going to talk about it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's a PC game on Era, not just that but an indie PC game. Nobody here is going to talk about it.

I thought PC gaming was decently popular here? Doesn't it usually come in second when asking where people play their multiplatform games? It is a smaller game, obviously, I just thought the craving for this style of FPS would be bigger on Era. Really hoping this (And Overload, Amid Evil and Ion Maiden for that matter) end up doing well. It just reminds me of how good the genre used to be.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just bought it and beat the first episode. Really awesome so far, a bit slow to start but to be fair it is introducing weapons and enemy types. Once it gets going its pretty great though, falls somewhere in between Doom and Quake to me, with some obvious weapon nods to both. Definitely looking forward to the next couple episodes, and I'll probably try the multi just to see what its like.,

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Almost through the first episode and I'm definitely enjoying this. Maybe not as much as DOOM 2016, but pretty close.

Really the only thing I'd change is the music, I mean it's fantastic, I just wish it played more often lol. There are some pretty damn nice tunes to get you all pumped up.

e: lol are you kidding me, as soon as I say this the next mission has music playing non-stop

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Just a tip for those using controllers: One of the annoying things of playing this with a controller is that the settings reset, every time you enter a new level. So you'll have to set the framerate cap, auto-aim level, look inversion, v-sync and similar again and again, because it doesn't save settings when tweaking and saving them with the controller. However, if you use a mouse to set the settings just once and then save, the game will remember it even if you continue playing with a controller afterwards.

The save screen is slightly different when using a controller, with the X button doing the saving, but when using a mouse it takes you to a different screen or overlay, where you can enter a filename before saving. I'm assuming there's some kind of bug with the controller version, where it doesn't save the settings.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was a bit skeptical after STRAFE, but DUSK is amazing. If you had any love in your heart for Heretic, this is that but with a few clever modern touches.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Only finished 3 levels so far. As is I think I'm gonna do 3 levels per day til I beat it.

I'm enjoying the game though my eyesight isn't what it used to be so anything taking place in a dark setting is difficult for me to see.

The Super Shotgun is fun to blast enemies with.

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
This game is *insanely* good. The first episode was decent but the second really kicks into gear with the levels, the "inside the machine" stage is just super creepy. There's little weird bits of humor that really makes it stand out as something from the era too. The lighting effects are fantastic and the sound design is brilliant.

The best indie throwbacks do that thing where the idealize the nostalgia, so they aim to look and play how you remember them, not how they actually were. It had been quite a long time since I'd actually played Quake II, so I installed it after a game of Dusk....and Dusk really looks/feels so much better.

From a technical perspective...this feels like kind of a mish-mash of things from the era. The low res textures and low polygonal models recall VGA Quake on DOS but the colored lighting is more Quake II. But I don't remember anything from the era really having as advanced lightning effects, as far as things like the flashlight goes.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to replay doom after the Sigil announcement. Was browsing steam and saw this game. My initial impressions are very positive. It plays and sounds great. I'm excited to see the level design evolve in the next episode as a few referenced here. Well worth the asking price if anyone sees this and is on the fence.

Oct 26, 2017
Baffled this game isn't getting more attention. What is wrong with everyone?!

People like... nice graphics. That's the whole truth. With that I mean both AAA games with a great display of budget and power, or beatiful indies like Gris, or Below.

I suspect this game is too retro for most people, as it's based on the early 3d fps, which was considered the worst from a visual perspective. Earlier games, being in 2d, aged much better, and modern 3d is also better, most people don't appreciate the chunkiness of everything.
And well, art wise the game is decent in the scenarios, but even I got to confess the enemy design is lacking both in polygon number, animations, and sometimes just pure concept.

That, and that right now is only in pc and this is a more popular forum for console players.
I think the previous forum had more pc gamers (anecdotic evidence: do you remember how the 'pc screenshot thread of 20xx' was almost always in the first three pages? now it only got 80 pages in more 14 months!) , but it seems a fair amount got lost in the forum diaspora.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I had forgotten about it the first time I posted, I'll take a moment to appreciate the awesome boot up sequence for this game. Ah the memories of typing ip addresses in a dos prompt to get in a Quake server....

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
People like... nice graphics. That's the whole truth. With that I mean both AAA games with a great display of budget and power, or beatiful indies like Gris, or Below.

I suspect this game is too retro for most people, as it's based on the early 3d fps, which was considered the worst from a visual perspective. Earlier games, being in 2d, aged much better, and modern 3d is also better, most people don't appreciate the chunkiness of everything.
And well, art wise the game is decent in the scenarios, but even I got to confess the enemy design is lacking both in polygon number, animations, and sometimes just pure concept.

That, and that right now is only in pc and this is a more popular forum for console players.
I think the previous forum had more pc gamers (anecdotic evidence: do you remember how the 'pc screenshot thread of 20xx' was almost always in the first three pages? now it only got 80 pages in more 14 months!) , but it seems a fair amount got lost in the forum diaspora.

Yeh this is the sad truth it seems. A lot more people value a good looking graphics over gameplay.

I'm surprised by the idea that PC isn't big on these forums though, I don't get that impression from the amount of posters upset about the Epic store.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to replay doom after the Sigil announcement. Was browsing steam and saw this game. My initial impressions are very positive. It plays and sounds great. I'm excited to see the level design evolve in the next episode as a few referenced here. Well worth the asking price if anyone sees this and is on the fence.

The great thing about the level design is not just that it evolves along the way, but how it always manages to feel unique, despite a somewhat similar color palette and artistic expression. From a cursory look at pictures or trailers it might come of as samey, but when playing it, nothing could be further from the truth. Not only is it cohesive, but it differentiates levels from each other by having a central theme each revolves around, which can usually be glanced from the title. This also lends itself well to having these moments, building blocks, in most levels, where it's almost like you're encountering the name of the level.

Combine those thematic hearts of every mission, with a structure that fits the theme - almost equally as unique as the themes themselves - and a layout that strikes a perfect balance between old school aimlessness and modern string-alongs and you have genuinely good level design that doesn't just work from a gameplay perspective, but has many more memorable moments than you might expect. It's punching far above it's weight, especially in chapter two. It's varied, doesn't wastes the player's time and manages to make every level feel distinct.

A remarkable achievement on such a limited budget.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Many FPS games have claimed to be a return to the classic style, but Dusk is the first one I've played that I feel truly gets it right. My personal favorites were Doom 64, Quake 1 and Blood, and Dusk fits right up there with them. The gameplay, level design, music and sound design, and atmosphere are all amazing.
I'd even say fans of Doom 2016 will like this game. Dusk turned out far better than I ever expected, and I hope they continue the series.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Got around to playing episode 3 today. It was fantastic, definitely met my lofty expectations after episode 2. Top notch level design that is consistently varied, ambitious, and interesting from a conceptual level that manages to stick the landing in the execution. For example, the level that
drops you into a town with a ton of verticality, has you fight an underwater boss that works really well, then flood the town with water that lets you move freely through it and into a new area. Or the level where you touch objects that flips gravity in a certain direction and falling through the bottom sends you through the top or vice versa. OR the level that starts with a huge patch of flat land in the sky with a small cathedral, and then a giant tornado comes that destroys everything opens up a path below to the rest of the level below...I could go on.
Lots of awesome, trippy moments in this episode the deeper you get. I will say the new enemies add some nice variety but none of them comes close to the greatness that is Wendigo from ep 2.

Overall one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I boot the game up, the startup sound triggers something in my spine and I get startled, like hearing someone elses iPhone alarm go off in the middle of the day. That POSTing noise has buried itself into my spirit at this point.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baffled this game isn't getting more attention. What is wrong with everyone?!
I can't speak for everyone, but while Dusk has made the list of games I absolutely want to play through before Era GOTY voting closes (I have a shitload of games to play in this window lol), it didn't immediately jump to the front. The few levels I played have ruled and I'm very excited for it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly at the end of Episode 3 now. The way the level design and environments have continued to evolve is great.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it might have just got out of EA at a bad time.

Obviously there's Smash and stuff but there's also been a handful of really notable indies releasing the last couple weeks (Gris, Ashen, Below). Dusk doesn't play like them, but kind of reminds me of how Iconoclasts quickly got swept away by Celeste entering the conversation.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Just grabbed it and it seems really cool. Only on the third level but I'm enjoying it.

The only problem I'm having is with motion sickness. I turned head-bob and weapon sway off and it helped so hopefully I can get used to the speed of the game because I really do like what I've played so far.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The gifs above make this look more Serious Sam than Quake (open/sparse with tons of enemies). Is that accurate? Or am I off?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, this (presumably) last boss of Episode 2. The Gauntlet

I don't even know what I can do. I just gotta get better, I guess. I'm only getting like 10% of its health down as is.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The gifs above make this look more Serious Sam than Quake (open/sparse with tons of enemies). Is that accurate? Or am I off?
Way off. It has a few sequences where's there's a large open flat environment with lots of enemies - and 2 of the gifs in the OP are from one of them - but that's really it. They're moments to change things up and provide good pacing. In general the level design and enemy counts are much more comparable to Doom/Quake.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, this (presumably) last boss of Episode 2. The Gauntlet

I don't even know what I can do. I just gotta get better, I guess. I'm only getting like 10% of its health down as is.
Don't over think it.
Just kite it around in a circle while taking pot shots with rivets or grenades from the mortar at it until it dies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Don't over think it.
Just kite it around in a circle while taking pot shots with rivets or grenades from the mortar at it until it dies.
Yeah it didn't seem complicated. That's what I was doing. Just not well enough.

To be fair, the hardest time I hat previously was on a few levels prior when it was almost entirely one large fight before a boss. I think playing on "I Can Take It" the first time through has led to me being a tittle too comfortable taking hits here and there but this current boss drops you like a rock.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Way off. It has a few sequences where's there's a large open flat environment with lots of enemies - and 2 of the gifs in the OP are from one of them - but that's really it. They're moments to change things up and provide good pacing. In general the level design and enemy counts are much more comparable to Doom/Quake.
Good. I want that Quake level design!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Every time I boot the game up, the startup sound triggers something in my spine and I get startled, like hearing someone elses iPhone alarm go off in the middle of the day. That POSTing noise has buried itself into my spirit at this point.

I'm exactly the same! It somehow catches me off-guard every time.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bought it, and got into Episode 2 today. Beside being quite a blast so far, the atmosphere is so good and the game can be quite creepy at times. Early on in episode 2:

The Unseen chapter was kind of nuts with the trip down to the ruins.

I needed to get used to manual save again through lol.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this when it first hit early access when it was just Act 1.

Played through it, and thought it was just a bit above average. I wasn't really feeling it.

Today I just played the first three levels of Act 2, and I can't believe how amazing these three levels have been. This is some design genius. The difference in quality between the two episodes is crazy... was there a new designer brought onto the project after Act 1?

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
One of the things that this game does that I appreciate that didn't really carry over into something like Doom 2016 is that "hit switch and enemies suddenly lower from retractable platforms in the ceiling" gimmick.

Granted, it doesn't work exactly like that in this game, but I appreciate those little game designer asshole moments that you'd see from stuff like Doom 2.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Stoze I overthought it. Something magical happened.

I telefragged that motherfucker.

At first I did it accidentally after getting him down to like 10-20% of health but then I intentionally did a run where I did it on purpose. I'm sure somebody could actually route this down to 30 seconds or so. So that's pretty rad!

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Stoze I overthought it. Something magical happened.

I telefragged that motherfucker.

At first I did it accidentally after getting him down to like 10-20% of health but then I intentionally did a run where I did it on purpose. I'm sure somebody could actually route this down to 30 seconds or so. So that's pretty rad!

Holy shit that's awesome! I'm replaying the episodes again so this gives me something to try.

If you wanna know the speedrun method:
they shoot all the switches through walls with the crossbow and just book it to the exit, they don't even fight the boss

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
On Episode 3 Mission 2 I believe, I seriously don't want this to end. Easily my favorite game I've played this year, needs a lot more recognition than it's getting.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit that's awesome! I'm replaying the episodes again so this gives me something to try.

If you wanna know the speedrun method:
they shoot all the switches through walls with the crossbow and just book it to the exit, they don't even fight the boss
That's a little anticlimactic but hey, it's a speedrun.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I thought episode 1 was generally pretty good, but episode 2 was like a whole new level of awesome. As for E2M10.

I just dashed through and left without killing the Guardian, but LOL at that teleport kill.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know anything about how this is selling? I know it's a little greedy asking for it already, but I'd love to see this getting a sequel. It does have a few levels in the latter half of chapter 3, that weren't as good as the rest, though conceptually interesting, and some throwaway mechanics + the aforementioned issues with the controller support, but it's still my favorite FPS of this generation.

Looking forward to double dipping on the Switch (or PS4/XO where it probably wind up later) if there's a physical version.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only played 3 levels so far (thanks for the suggestion again Dusk Golem ), but I'm digging it. Very interactive and exciting, a bit on the easy side (on Normal, that is) for now but definitely enjoyable. Will play more during the holidays for sure.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This game is awesome. I played through Episode 1 today. It was so much fun. I think I'm pretty close to finishing Episode 2 too.
The balance of the guns against the enemies is particularly excellent. I find myself using certain guns for certain enemies and switching my guns often depending on the situation.