• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty much, I think numerical scoring systems are dumb honestly. I prefer just a written review and a binary yes or no at most!

I think the 0-100 system works fairly well if you try to identify terrible and fantastic games.
Everything else kinda ends up in that 65-85 corridor, where a few outlier reviews can skew the average quite a bit.
At the end of the day, the difference between a 73 vs 69 or a 79 vs 81 is absolutely meaningless.

Maybe they could do a system similar to figure skating, where the 10 worst and best scores are deleted idk

Oct 25, 2017
For the life of me (I guess unless you're a super fan) I can't figure out people buying games like this day one. They are going to be so much better a few patches in. I'll wait a year or so for the rest of the work to be done and the game to be half of what it launches at.

But I pretty much feel that way about all titles.
They were giving away steam keys of this game when buying hardware

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
I don't get it, isn't there a Day 1 patch coming? Wouldn't most of the comments of bugs and issues be sorted from those reviews on the 1st day?

As far as I've read, the review copies have the same game code as the disc versions in the wild at the moment.

Denito

Dec 30, 2020
I don't get it, isn't there a Day 1 patch coming? Wouldn't most of the comments of bugs and issues be sorted from those reviews on the 1st day?

As far as I've read, the review copies have the same game code as the disc versions in the wild at the moment.
From what I could gather on the Internets a patch to 1.04 has been released a few hours ago. If this is true, it's highly likely that this is the day (-)1 patch.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
From what I could gather on the Internets a patch to 1.04 has been released a few hours ago. If this is true, it's highly likely that this is the day (-)1 patch.
But still, a few hours ago means that all the reviews were based off old code.
Just seems weird to me that these would be big issues in almost all reviews that will most likely be sorted in a day 1 patch they all knew was coming.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

My Xbox preorder is still on 1.0.1.7, whatever that means with zero updates since installation 2 days ago.

I think they are the only devs in the world that take "day one patch" quite literally, lol. Which doesn't make sense and favors no one.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What sort of post-launch support did the original get, exactly? I tried it around launch and didn't love it, but now I'm thinking I should give it another go.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What sort of post-launch support did the original get, exactly? I tried it around launch and didn't love it, but now I'm thinking I should give it another go.

A lot of content, a lot of mini dlcs and a lot of giant patches on console.
But zero enhancement patches, nothing ever changes technically even if they make you download 8gbs every 2 weeks, they never touched opening the FPS or raising the resolution.
So don't expect any technical changes, ever, in the sequel, just pure plain content.

It the weirdest tunnel vision game support I've ever seen, but it could be worse.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of content, a lot of mini dlcs and a lot of giant patches on console.
But zero enhancement patches, nothing ever changes technically even if they make you download 8gbs every 2 weeks, they never touched opening the FPS or raising the resolution.
So don't expect any technical changes, ever, in the sequel, just pure plain content.

It the weirdest tunnel vision game support I've ever seen, but it could be worse.

Gotcha. Sounds like it could be a good way to kill time until HFW and ER... Thanks!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Gotcha. Sounds like it could be a good way to kill time until HFW and ER... Thanks!

Yeah definitely.
And it's not a bad "investment" if you like a game that gets supported by gameplay changes and content over years and years, they are dedicated to that tho, it will probably make it feel worth the money because of that alone.
I just hope they improved on also touching the technical part of the game over time but we'll see about that. 👍

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
That's a legitimately classy and respectful response.

I have been erring between whether or not to pick this up tomorrow. If this is how Techland usually conducts themselves, I may just pick a copy up to support them as a dev.

Agreed.

I've been curious about the franchise for awhile, and that response went a long way to motivating me to give this game a shot eventually. February is going to be a backlog + Elden Ring month for me, but soon.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Just waiting on my key from Kinguin. Excited to really stretch my 3080 on this cranked up.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I won't dispute that but by continue to get better that just means waiting is even better. Usually within 6 months a game has had multiple patches and many of them have added content some of it free. When I combine the knowledge of a better game and a cheaper game it's a no brainer for me.

I think personally this sounds like a game that if I wait 6 months it would be a much better experience than buying it today.
You are not wrong that waiting should usually get you a better game, probably on sale but many are excited to play at launch. As long as the bugs or network issues are minor, people do not feel as though they have lost if others get it better and cheaper later. This is just the cost of supporting a game or dev you like.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
alright, this ranged weapon thing was bugging me (as in, did i imagine it all?), so, yeah, here's the video i used to get a good gun very early in the game:

like i said, i'm not good at first-person melee, so, when i was first considering buying the game, i searched, & discovered that i could play the game using ranged combat to a large extent. which resulted in me playing, & greatly enjoying, both the game & the following dlc...

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
alright, this ranged weapon thing was bugging me (as in, did i imagine it all?), so, yeah, here's the video i used to get a good gun very early in the game:

like i said, i'm not good at first-person melee, so, when i was first considering buying the game, i searched, & discovered that i could play the game using ranged combat to a large extent. which resulted in me playing, & greatly enjoying, both the game & the following dlc...

There's SOME ranged weapons in this game, but generally they're more for eliminating enemies quick and quietly. Generally you're going to be using melee weapons for the entire game. I assure you that the melee combat is pretty easy to get into in this game, and it's much more fluid.

But yeah, the conceit of this game is that guns are artifacts as bullets were all used up after the events of the first game, moving the world back to melee weapons.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
There's SOME ranged weapons in this game, but generally they're more for eliminating enemies quick and quietly. Generally you're going to be using melee weapons for the entire game. I assure you that the melee combat is pretty easy to get into in this game, and it's much more fluid.

But yeah, the conceit of this game is that guns are artifacts as bullets were all used up after the events of the first game, moving the world back to melee weapons.

thanks! that's what i remember reading. i'll eventually be giving the game a try, guns or not, just because i loved the first one so much. enjoy!...

Zeneric

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Glad to know they improved the performance for pc.
5-6 more hours to go till i get my money back from steam (refund) and use it on dying light 2, can't wait. Dying Light 1 was excellent.
edit:
oof, wrong thread (belongs to the performance thread).