newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It has a chilling effect on people doing work on their own time with their own resources. When it comes down to it, whoever is hiring has far more money to spend lawyering up than the individual employee doing something at home on nights and weekends.

Source: I didn't work on a personal project until leaving a job because my contract had the same language in it.
did you try to engage your employer for permission for your personal project?

Carmack's work eventually became part of a competing company. I feel that's different compared to an artist doing a drawing or a writer doing a book in their own time that only benefits themselves.

That said, you could also argue Zenimax has no business of trying to claim Carmack's work when they're not even that much in the VR tech space apart from a couple of games.
but the clause is there for the former, not the latter, even tho it encompasses both. zenimax's entire argument was that carmack's work was done partially (or wholly i don't remember) using zenimax equipment. it's *exactly* why this clause exists

also zenimax is a software developer that has released VR games, it's absolutely competing when it comes to talent, not
physical products

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I work for a shipping company and they don't give a shit about what I do in my free time. I've had my photography stuff running in parallel and the company actually asked me to take some product shots for them instead of hiring outside photographer (for less money of course).

Is this an American thing?
I would like to ask the same.
I'm working for tech companies since 15 years now and I've never seen something like this. The company I have a contact with was acquired by an American company though more than two years ago and I've heard stories that the employee was interested in what people did in their free time, with impact on performance reviews but this here is a different thing, though at the same time baffling to me.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Stuff can be industry standard (hell this is basically capitalism standard) and can also just be bad regardless. I wouldn't call people bootlickers over it. People have had lifetimes of propaganda and shit heaped on them, it's not shocking that people tend to just accept it.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
The idea that something you create outside of contracted hours that does not use a company's resources should be of any legal concern to the company is absurd. Yes, people may have found these companies supportive around this policy, but it shouldn't exist at all.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the game company owns any creative work, does that mean the company actually owns any creative food dish, and I have been violating the policy by eating the evidence?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I work in oil & gas, and there is a broad-coverage IP protection clause that more or less states that everything I made while in employment - belongs to the company.

Granted, I'm not in a creative field, and a lot of my work are not meaningful without the data of the company, but the gist is more or less the same.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work for a shipping company and they don't give a shit about what I do in my free time. I've had my photography stuff running in parallel and the company actually asked me to take some product shots for them instead of hiring outside photographer (for less money of course).

Is this an American thing?
That's not what is being discussed. Your side photography business is not something that would be competing with the shipping company. Read through the thread to get a better idea on all of this.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what is being discussed. Your side photography business is not something that would be competing with the shipping company. Read through the thread to get a better idea on all of this.
No the OP (and most people taking objection) is talking about having a completely different interest between your personal and professional life, hence the words "any creative work outside of studio". Dude could be a graphics designer at EA and write a book about murder mystery in his free time, and EA would claim a copyright on that book, that's what OP is talking about.. The person I quoted posted within few posts of OP so I'm assuming he's also talking about similar issue.

Last edited:

desu

Oct 27, 2017
In the OP it is stated that a programmer is not allowed to make music. How is making music in your free time competing with your job as a programmer?

In general, I am fine with a non-compete clause in the contract, but stuff like that in the OP is ridiculous (and I personally mostly know it from big American companies, I am sure others do it as well).

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
In the OP it is stated that a programmer is not allowed to make music. How is making music in your free time competing with your job as a programmer?

In general, I am fine with a non-compete clause in the contract, but stuff like that in the OP is ridiculous (and I personally mostly know it from big American companies, I am sure others do it as well).
It's not that they're not allowed to make music, it's that the company has no idea what they're making on the side; by informing them that it's music, the legal department can clear it as unrelated to the work product and both sides can avoid a lengthy legal battle down the road. It's folly to assume that someone can universally and unilaterally deem their projects to be unrelated to work; hence, the requirement to inform. It does not mean that they can't make anything, and it does not mean that the company owns anything they make. It means that the company is not psychic and, from a legal perspective, "asking forgiveness" is a terrible idea.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand a company needing to protect itself to a certain extent and I can appreciate that for most people who ever signed such a contract it is probably a complete non issue because they just got permission anyway. It seems pretty agreed upon one mustn't use company time nor ressources to further his own creative endeavours.
The problem is the blanket statement of "everything you produce outside of the time we pay you to work for us" belongs to us. It gives a company way too much power and where there's power, abuse of it is bound to follow. Even if the vast majority is not affected, that's a problem. There should be clear limits to how much of a slave they can make you by signing a work contract, it should consider both sides and protect each's interests as much as possible. Meaning the company should be able to punish any offence where the employee provably used company assets or work hours to pursue his own project. But an employee expressing himself as a person outside of work is not a companies property, it mustn't be. Especially when it tries to include any type of creative work and in my opinion even when bringing the experience you gain working at a company into your own projects. Work hours is when you agree with a company to offer your skills to them, outside of that they should only voluntarily offer to take influence on your private life (like making sure employees can talk to someone when having problems outside of work) and otherwise have fuck all to do with what you do with your life, certainly it shouldn't be legal for them to just take whatever they want from you for being a person who happened to create something valuable.
There should be laws in place that provide clear limits to such agreements that can't be overstepped, both for the rights of a company and the rights of an employee. Only then we allow us to say we have done what we can to avoid examples where anyone was taken unfair advantage of. Every rare case of a company laying claim to a person's self expression outside of work and every case where an employee takes advantage of his employer for personal gains should be equally frowned upon.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

The programmer works at a company producing entertainment media though. It's not like someone creating their own music in their free time couldn't be considered related or competing.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, this is normal. I work in oil and gas, and I had to get permission from my company to keep the rights to my open source hobby game engine. They were perfectly OK with it because what use would they have for a game engine?

Now if my hobby was developing an open source alternative to their product instead, then we might have a problem.

I'm in Europe too for what it's worth, so definitely not just a US thing.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
UK dev chiming in:

I've had the full scale "anything you make while employed is ours" section in my contract that I've mostly managed to re-negotiate to "anything on company time", "not a direct competitor" or get an immediate waiver for.

BUT

The fact that the language starts out as "anything" and not just "during company hours/using company property" is a massive red flag that shouldn't even need to be argued, standard or not. People have the right to do what they want with their own free time and equipment and this shouldn't need to be negotiated. Presenting a contract like that to a junior or first timer who isn't going to question it is scummy as hell, and "yeah, but they'll be fine if they just talk to legal/HR" doesn't really matter when that's not on the bit of paper that's been signed. Just because people can get an okay NOW doesn't mean they can get an okay LATER.

I get that it's a difficult to prove thing, because who can say what hasn't been made or worked on because of such clauses. Which is all the more reason that the "standard" clause can get in the bin.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how standard it is. Fair IP agreements are something that I feel should be fought for.

At my place of work we have a "Anything produced using company equipment" rule, which is pretty reasonable. Much better than the "We own basically anything you make" type agreements.

Thankfully, living somewhere which has basic worker protections, this stuff isn't standard here.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
This happens at Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook as well.

They don't want you to create work that they don't own while you're employed there where the work overlaps with a business they have, since you could use insider knowledge. Like at Google, you wouldn't be able to make your own smart home devices without explicit permission since you can use internal business knowledge to become a competitor.
So if you work as a programmer and go home and write a children's book your employer owns your book despite them having nothing to do with each other.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the medical services industry and this is in my contract too. Basically you can't siphon clients from a practice to your private practice, so some contracts prohibit private side practices while employed.

Nothing surprising here.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The creator of Bratz dolls used to be employed at Mattel working on Barbie. He quit and made the Bratz lineup. He and Mattel have been in a legal battle over the Bratz dolls and license for over a decade now.
I mean, that's one incredibly specific example involving a billion dollar company that was in direct competition with Barbie. And guess what? MGA still won. The majority of people in this thread are talking about things akin to garage band albums. Companies will never care and they know they're on shaky ground even if they do.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
So if you work as a programmer and go home and write a children's book your employer owns your book despite them having nothing to do with each other.
We've had multiple developers in this thread talk about how they've released anything from books to video games created on the side with EA's blessing, so this is clearly nonsense.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That is absolutely false. Multiple posters have already disputed that and it's true at the company I work at too (not a videogame company).

no, it isn't. Though, it should be mentioned this isn't control. This is basically the company asking you to clarify what you are working on and what resources you are using (all resources must be owned by the employee so no using the company issued laptops). This way, you(the employee) are protected from litigation. It's very unlikely they'll deny the request unless it's competing against the employer. Let me tell you a secret, companies don't actually like to sue. It's a headache with legal fees, employees having to potentially take time off to appear in court, and messy.
I was exaggerating but you're out of your mind if you think this level of control is common practice.

Non-compete clauses are all too common. All creative work controls are not common and should not be accepted as reasonable contracts.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It is unheard of to control works not made on company premises or company time.

no, it isn't. Though, it should be mentioned this isn't control. This is basically the company asking you to clarify what you are working on and what resources you are using (all resources must be owned by the employee so no using the company issued laptops). This way, you(the employee) are protected from litigation. It's very unlikely they'll deny the request unless it's competing against the employer. Let me tell you a secret, companies don't actually like to sue. It's a headache with legal fees, employees having to potentially take time off to appear in court, and messy.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Yea this is 100% standard contract stuff. Most companies will give you a waiver so long as your side project does not compete directly with what you do at work.

Last time I was FTE at Microsoft they were quite different. They had changed about 5 years ago now to a Moonlighting policy that just gave employees free reign to work on side projects and just advised they should not work on side projects that directly competed with the product they worked on at Microsoft.

May 9, 2018
Requoting an earlier post to emphasize the typical rules behind this ownership.

These are very easy to follow:

-Don't use company resources to make your own shit to sell
-Don't sell a competing product while you work at a company

You follow that, you're probably set.

I'll also add that in borderline cases (e.g. working on something barely related to the company's business) companies would not sue. It has to be a slam dunk conflict-of-interest.

Contrary to popular belief on Era, big corporations do not sue people or wield big lawyerhammers for teh lulz.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've worked in tech support in the UK for about 15 years now and something to this effect has been in every contract I've signed. I've never given it a second thought and it's never been an issue, even though I make extra income as a musician.

Infact I just checked this and the contract for my previous job had 2 pages dedicated to this specific thing, yet they had no problems with me recording and selling music.

1. I have not entered into, and I agree I will not enter into during the course of
my employment, any agreement either written or oral in conflict with this Agreement or my
employment with the Company. I will not violate any agreement with or rights of any third party or,
except as expressly authorized by the Company in writing hereafter, use or disclose my own or any
third party's confidential information or intellectual property when acting within the scope of my
employment or otherwise on behalf of the Company. Further, I have not retained anything containing
any confidential information of a prior employer or other third party, whether or not created by me.
2. The Company shall own all right, title and interest (including patent rights,
copyrights, trade secret rights, mask work rights, sui generis database rights and all other intellectual
property rights of any sort throughout the world) relating to any and all inventions (whether or not
patentable), works of authorship, mask works, designs, know-how, ideas and information made or
conceived or reduced to practice, in whole or in part, by me during the term of my employment with
the Company to and only to the fullest extent allowed by applicable law (collectively "Inventions") and
I will promptly disclose all Inventions to the Company; provided that the term "Inventions" will not
include any invention for which no equipment, supplies, facilities or trade secret information of the
Company was used and which was developed entirely on my own time, unless (a) the invention
relates (i) to the business of the Company, or (ii) to the Company's actual or demonstrably anticipated
research or development, or (b) the invention results from any work performed by me for the
Company. Without disclosing any third party confidential information, I will also disclose anything I
believe is excluded by applicable law so that the Company can make an independent assessment. I
hereby make all assignments necessary to accomplish the foregoing. I shall further assist the
Company, at the Company's expense, to further evidence, record and perfect such assignments, and
to perfect, obtain, maintain, enforce, and defend any rights specified to be so owned or assigned. I
hereby irrevocably designate and appoint the Company as my agent and attorney-in-fact, coupled
with an interest and with full power of substitution, to act for and in my behalf to execute and file any
document and to do all other lawfully permitted acts to further the purposes of the foregoing with the
same legal force and effect as if executed by me. If I wish to clarify that something created by me
prior to my employment that relates to the Company's actual or proposed business is not within the
scope of the foregoing assignment, I have listed it on Schedule 1 in a manner that does not violate
any third party rights or disclose any confidential information. Without limiting paragraph 1 or the
Company's other rights and remedies, if, when acting within the scope of my employment or
otherwise on behalf of the Company, I use or (except pursuant to this paragraph 2) disclose my own
or any third party's confidential information or intellectual property (or if any Invention cannot be fully
made, used, reproduced, distributed and otherwise exploited without using or violating the foregoing),

the Company will have and I hereby grant the Company a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide royalty-
free, non-exclusive, sublicensable right and license to exploit and exercise all such confidential

information and intellectual property rights.

3. To the extent allowed by law, paragraph 2 includes all rights of paternity,
integrity, disclosure and withdrawal and any other rights that may be known as or referred to as
"moral rights," "artist's rights," "droit moral," or the like (collectively "Moral Rights"). To the extent I
retain any such Moral Rights under applicable law, I hereby ratify and consent to any action that may
be taken with respect to such Moral Rights by or authorized by the Company and agree not to assert
any Moral Rights with respect thereto. I will confirm any such ratifications, consents and agreements
from time to time as requested by the Company.

4. I agree that all Inventions and all other business, technical and financial
information (including, without limitation, the identity of and information relating to customers or
employees) I develop, learn or obtain during the term of my employment that relate to the Company
or the business or demonstrably anticipated business of the Company or that are received by or for
the Company in confidence, constitute "Proprietary Information." I will hold in confidence and not
disclose or, except within the scope of my employment, use any Proprietary Information. However, I
shall not be obligated under this paragraph with respect to information I can document is or becomes
readily publicly available without restriction through no fault of mine. Upon termination of my
employment, I will promptly return to the Company all items containing or embodying Proprietary
Information (including all copies), except that I may keep my personal copies of (i) my compensation
records, (ii) materials distributed to shareholders generally and (iii) this Agreement. I also recognize
and agree that I have no expectation of privacy with respect to the Company's telecommunications,
networking or information processing systems (including, without limitation, stored computer files,
email messages and voice messages) and that my activity and any files or messages on or using any
of those systems may be monitored at any time without notice.

5. Until six months after the term of my employment, I will not encourage or
solicit any employee or consultant of the Company to leave the Company for any reason (except for
the bona fide firing of Company personnel within the scope of my employment).

6. I agree that during the term of my employment with the Company (whether or
not during business hours), I will not engage in any activity that is in any way competitive with the
business or demonstrably anticipated business of the Company, and I will not assist any other person
or organization in competing or in preparing to compete with any business or demonstrably
anticipated business of the Company.

7. I agree that this Agreement is not an employment contract for any particular
term and that I have the right to resign from the Company's employment at any time. In addition, this
Agreement does not purport to set forth all of the terms and conditions of my employment, and, as an
employee of the Company, I have obligations to the Company which are not set forth in this
Agreement. However, the terms of this Agreement govern over any inconsistent terms and can only
be changed by a subsequent written agreement signed by the Chief Executive Officer of the
Company and by me.

8. I agree that my obligations under paragraphs 2, 3, 4 and 5 of this Agreement
shall continue in effect after termination of my employment, regardless of the reason or reasons for
termination, and whether such termination is voluntary or involuntary on my part, and that the
Company is entitled to communicate my obligations under this Agreement to any future employer or
potential employer of mine. My obligations under paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 also shall be binding upon
my heirs, executors, assigns, and administrators and shall inure to the benefit of the Company, it
subsidiaries, successors and assigns.

9. Any dispute in the meaning, effect or validity of this Agreement shall be
resolved in accordance with the laws of XXX. I further agree that if one or more
provisions of this Agreement are held to be illegal or unenforceable under applicable XXX
law, such illegal or unenforceable portion(s) shall be limited or excluded from this Agreement to the
minimum extent required so that this Agreement shall otherwise remain in full force and effect and
enforceable in accordance with its terms. This Agreement is fully assignable and transferable by the
Company, but any purported assignment or transfer by me is void. I also understand that any breach
of this Agreement will cause irreparable harm to the Company for which damages would not be an
adequate remedy, and, therefore, the Company will be entitled to injunctive relief with respect thereto
in addition to any other remedies and without any requirement to post bond.

Last edited:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the game company owns any creative work, does that mean the company actually owns any creative food dish, and I have been violating the policy by eating the evidence?

Yes. Also, the company owns every single pee and poop that comes out of your body. I hope you've been collecting them in jars and place in cold storage, or EA's company lawyers will be coming after you.

Also, all of your assets and money belong to EA too. And your children. And their grand-children.

Congratulations, you've just signed up your entire future generation to slave labor to EA for all of eternity.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Also, the company owns every single pee and poop that comes out of your body. I hope you've been collecting them in jars and place in cold storage, or EA's company lawyers will be coming after you.

Also, all of your assets and money belong to EA too. And your children. And their grand-children.

Congratulations, you've just signed up your entire future generation to slave labor to EA for all of eternity.
Parents too. All belong to EA because this is totally a clause about ownership for forever.