• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

The creator of Bratz dolls used to be employed at Mattel working on Barbie. He quit and made the Bratz lineup. He and Mattel have been in a legal battle over the Bratz dolls and license for over a decade now.
The way this article makes Mattel of all coorporations seem like a plucky little victim really makes me want to vomit. But then again, it's Murdoch news corp bullshit.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Capitalism's day is done, at least in its current form. It has devolved into a venomous, litigious free for all.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a non-compete clause in every employment contract I've ever signed. I've also been told a number of times in any reasonable scenario it would never be enforced. An employer doesn't want to go around suing past employees because they will never get anyone to work for them again. Now if you're using company time and resources to launch a competing product, that might be another story.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
This happens at Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook as well.

They don't want you to create work that they don't own while you're employed there where the work overlaps with a business they have, since you could use insider knowledge. Like at Google, you wouldn't be able to make your own smart home devices without explicit permission since you can use internal business knowledge to become a competitor.
That part definitely makes sense. It's how broad the terminology is though - you can't even produce work in an entirely separate field without permission, if I'm understanding correctly?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That part definitely makes sense. It's how broad the terminology is though - you can't even produce work in an entirely separate field without permission, if I'm understanding correctly?
Again, the point of the language is to get employees to address any issues that might exist as early as possible, because that makes the whole process much easier.

The more intense the terms sound, the more likely it is they won't be ignored.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Companies are getting bigger and bigger every day (different discussion). Working at Amazon, you might get access to some book, music and movies deals they're making while working as a software engineer. What if you made a competing book and released it before they did? They just want to make sure it's not competing with their stuff using their trade secrets. Lawsuits cost them a lot of money too. It's much cheaper for an HR person to investigate if it's competing with anything they're producing and saying yes or no than it is to go through a lengthy lawsuit.

Is there any industry that Amazon and Google are not in? EA probably just used the boilerplate contract these other companies did.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
worst i ever had to deal with was just a standard non-compete agreement which in my state doesn't hold up well in court. at my new employer i can do other creative works as long as it's outside of work and i own all of it.

ByteSizeRick

Oct 27, 2017
Wound up doing a Virtual Legality episode on this thread, the tweets that gave rise to it, and on the various ways assignment provisions can be written.