• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
thanks.
didn't know that about madden mobile.
It's essentially like the console game, including a campaign, but (excluding said campaign) you can only play Ultimate Team mode.

FIFA might have went big this year on mobile due to the new Chinese version that seems to have taken off there like a rocket, but what EA gets out of that is reduced compared to other markets.

Most hilariously though is that NBA Live is actually quite a bit more successful than NBA 2K on mobile.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FIFA (and EA in general) have the opposite effect. FIFA has suffocated the football genre, Ultimate Team is legitimately one of the worst things to happen to the gaming industry and at this rate they're going to monopolise the market completely.
I mean the general public seem to like Ultimate Team, wouldn't you say? This couldn't be a case of "old man yells at cloud" + era echo chamber hating loot boxes, would it?

Crazy numbers.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So how much is this compared to what GTAV did in its first year? EA basicly releasing a GTA-esque seller each year, thats crazy!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I mean the general public seem to like Ultimate Team, wouldn't you say? This couldn't be a case of "old man yells at cloud" + era echo chamber hating loot boxes, would it?

Crazy numbers.

anedoctal, but most of my friends who do play FIFA (and ultimate team by proxy) fucking hate the damn thing.... but keep playing and complaining anyway. Truly feels like an addiction when you see it

also people surprised that it sells a lot more than madden arent being serious right? Football's worldwide appeal and recognition is way higher than american football. A game with cristiano ronaldo on the cover in the shelves of a gaming store is going to bring more attention anywhere but in america than.... whoever is the dude in front of Madden 18

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The power of Cristiano Ronaldo. First year on the cover and already trouncing any release from the Messi years. No wonder EA is exited to give us sales numbers again.

original.gif
when will M*ssi fans ever learn?

3cbsabk.jpg

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Crazy numbers.

The public like a lot of things, that doesn't make something good.

I actually bought FIFA from 2010 to 2013 - Pro Evo was terrible and all my friends were playing online. As soon as Ultimate Team started taking off, I was done. I stopped enjoying single player anyway because of how mechanical it felt and the over reliance on tricks but basically watching Ultimate Team start to take over was a big sign for me as to how EA were going to corner the market.

I know Pro Evo has My Club but I can still play it offline and have a good time.

Either way, the total lack of competition and people's fixation with licences and microtransactions means that football games are gonna end up being a retro endeavour for people like me.

Almosr every other genre either has competition or at least a healthy indie scene and I haven't seen anything close to a viable alternative to Pro Evo on console.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit...

Imagine how much money Ultimate Team made them

Easily over a billion and this year it will be probably another 200-300 Million $ extra because of the Champions League License.

Normally I'm happy for people to have a variety of interests, that's how media grows and creativity cross pollinates.

FIFA (and EA in general) have the opposite effect. FIFA has suffocated the football genre, Ultimate Team is legitimately one of the worst things to happen to the gaming industry and at this rate they're going to monopolise the market completely.

Ultimate Team is amazing.
The only feature i would like is a online coop where your friend could join and play with your team.
I know it was or even is still possible doing that playing couch coop but who cares about that.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Not suprised at the money UT makes, I probably spend a couple of hundred each year on packs for my son.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe now they can bother to include the option to have your shot power AND stamina bars above the player's head.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
People who rap over GTA V sales all the time miss the fact that the small Canadian studio who make FIFA probably bring in far more money year on year than R*

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
That's insane. Congrats to the devs on such continued success.

I'm still playing FIFA 15. Any solid reason to get FIFA 18/19?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing for EA. They can maintain high profitability just releasing sports games.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's insane. Congrats to the devs on such continued success.

I'm still playing FIFA 15. Any solid reason to get FIFA 18/19?
Gameplay is much better IMO. Using skills to pass people now is necessary at the higher level much more than before and extremely effective. They also have a new single player with a story mode. Basic manager mode is basically the same :P Is Seasons in 2015, I can't remember. Good ranking system for on-line 1v1. I also think 2v2 Seasons was added on FIFA 17? So if you have a friend, worth it. Might as well get 19 if you get a new one. Though I don't know if World Cup mode is going to be in the one like it is in 18.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
How much of that was Switch sales?? Though FiFA 18 on switch did reasonably well sales wise in the UK and Europe.

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
We all know that the numbers are only that high because of the Switch port.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
That is huge. I knew FIFA as a franchise was way closer to 20 million than 15 million ( ad many people thought), but i didn't expect it to be almost at 25 million level... World cup helped for sure.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Amazing numbers. This series is possibly the best coop game with buddies imo. Got some friends coming over or going over to someone's place, and this game becomes an insta pick to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Folks who complain about this taking time at the EA Play E3 stage here you go! FIFA is a franchise that will always consistently be there or thereabouts as football continues to boom in popularity, PES continues to shrink in sales and more licences are gained. Probably put about 500 or so hours between the Switch and PS4 version this year so these games are always good value for me. It also provides me with an easy fix when mates are around and want to play something. Plus, it is the only game that allows me to live in the bubble that Arsenal are consistent premier league winners :/

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting game, disgusting microtransactions. EA have mastered the art of tiny miniscule yearly changes and hyping them up with flashy words and slogans, Ultimate Team remains a vehicle to bring gambling into your household. Even the failing PES resorts to this gamblers model now.

Really puts into perspective how a monopoly on the most popular licences in the most popular sport stifles competition while keeping their foot on the pedal in regards to microtransactions. Gameplay in FIFA is unbelievably bad, graphics and lighting as well, manager mode is a mess too and none of these aspects have progressed in substantial ways in years. Youtubers/influencers also play a role in the success of the game and lack of progress in the aforementioned fields due to the nature of how they generate income.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like all three of us who preach don't buy the game are the only ones who didn't haha

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I never tired of a FIFA game quicker than I did 18. Hope 19 is a lot better.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
It's by far the biggest game in Europe, topping the charts in every GfK market except Finland. The Finns are really into NHL.

I wonder how much it did overall on PS360. I know those consoles are still popular in South America cause they tend to have less money
PS360 combined still represented 8% of all physical FIFA 18 sales in France.

Last edited:

shinken

Oct 27, 2017

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
How dare you spend money you can afford on things you enjoy!!! You're supposed to outraged that you've been taken advantage of by predatory evil mechanics!!!!
OMG you're right, I'm so sorry! Next time my son comes home with a great school report I'll tell him he can have a reward but only from a list of ERA approved items. ;-)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Eeeeh.....it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger in Europe.

Would like to see the split between the US and Europe.

No one is saying football is bigger in the US than Europe bud
Just correcting this thought that Europe is what carries FIFA sales. It sells well pretty much everywhere.