• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Just saying that "You utter drip" and "Melt" made me laugh a little too hard.

Never seen them as insults before.
tenor.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say using a gif of a guy that seemingly retired from MMA due to currently outstanding sexual assault allegations is not the look you think it is.

On topic, I'm curious how EA intends to do their business in Japan and Russia now.
I'm well aware he's a tosser, but look at that dopey walk.

Only rivaled by Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

If I posted a Thanos gif would you accuse me of advocating genocide?

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I imagine it's the smart move for them. Why keep branches open and sustain overhead when they can simply cut a third party in to do the work for them. Not surprising. They probably don't do the business in these regions to justify anything else.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm well aware he's a tosser, but look at that dopey walk.

Only rivaled by Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

If I posted a Thanos gif would you accuse me of advocating genocide?
It's good that you're aware. I just personally don't see as much humor in it relative to current events.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Good to see the capitalism defense in full force in this thread.

I wonder if this is just the beginning for EA, though.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That still does not mean that AAA is unsustainable.

As I said - "Not everybody can be a winner at all times - that´s competition."

And that´s absolutely not exclusive to games, movies or music.
Indeed, that's why I began my reply by saying I agree that AAA is not inherently unsustainable. But whether or not there's competition and whether or not there's revenue coming in do not indicate by themselves that it IS sustainable.

Broad brush stroke doesn't serve anyone. There are publishers that aren't making money and certainly not in every segment. You don't have to care, but let's not trivialize that.

Nov 23, 2017
Square is probably going to publish their games now. Honestly surprised they didn't cut this cost earlier.

You can't be concerned over everybody. And you're not guaranteed a job by no one. This is capitalism. Shit ain't free.

Try again with something less pedantic, less unoriginal and less condescending next time you want to defend a corporation from which you probably didn't even buy their last games

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Try again with something less pedantic, less unoriginal and less condescending next time you want to defend a corporation from which you probably didn't even buy their last games
This is not a defense of EA, but the fact that they specifically shuttered EA Japan and EA Russia suggests that those markets hadn't been doing well for them. Or at the very least, not well enough to justify operating in those territories in that capacity.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
This is not a defense of EA, but the fact that they specifically shuttered EA Japan and EA Russia suggests that those markets hadn't been doing well for them. Or at the very least, not well enough to justify operating in those territories in that capacity.
The indication might not be that the market is not doing well for them but rather that those locations are not cost-efficient in performing the role they need to. In the case of Japan, the response given to the press is that EA is assisting all staff affected in either finding new positions within the company outside of Japan, or getting recommendations and reemployment within the Japanese industry. They reaffirm that the Japanese market is important to EA and that they will continue to release games and provide customer support for the region. So while them partnering with another publisher is a possibility, another possibility is that EA Singapore as the Asia Pacific head office will take over.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see that the thing already began. Guys, companies shutting down will happen. Yes, even in the case of a union, which at best will make better conditions for such situations. This case here is the entire company not existing anymore so it's very different than a layoff in the sense that there's no work there. EA probably saw that they could make more money using a third party business instead of having a publishing company. Here in Brazil for example, if I'm not mistaken, their games are distributed by Warner since EA don't have a company here.

And also, this same thing happened with Sony, Sega and so many companies out there closing subsidiaries around the world and I don't remember such reaction for it in none of those times. I wonder if it was Sony again, let's say, closing a company in the same situation, people would see it in the same way.

But even then, a company can never shut down another company/division that is part of them? That's impossible, it'll always happens even in the best employment situations.

At the same time, Ultimate Team has brought them legal headaches and their handling of the Star Wars license so far has been below pretty much everyone's expectations. In a few years, they'll likely lose Star Wars exclusivity, and as long as there are legal questions pertaining to loot boxes and UT-like card packs, they shouldn't feel secure in the money they make.

Don't be delusional. Even if that hypothesis holds true, EA still is very large and will continue to be only behind ATVI. People thinking that EA will be shutting down or demolished from their position when even before FUT or Star Wars they already were on it need to wake up.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be delusional. Even if that hypothesis holds true, EA still is very large and will continue to be only behind ATVI. People thinking that EA will be shutting down or demolished from their position when even before FUT or Star Wars they already were on it need to wake up.
I'm not saying that EA is on the verge of a total implosion. I'm saying that their most reliable money-maker has some issues that may only become more troublesome with time. If anything, it means that they'll just shift their business strategy at a point and will continue on. And if they do lose the Star Wars license exclusivity, that would probably be better for them in the long run, anyway since it's not like they need it and they can focus more teams on projects that don't require answering to Lucasfilm over everything.

The EA that exists in a few years will be in a different position, not necessarily for the worse.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
Wow, that's fucked.

Reading the article, it was part of the 350 laid off worldwide.

AAA development is unsustainable.
It's very clearly sustainable, see ubisoft/nintendo/sony. You just have EA/Activision investing deeply into marketing and esports, with none of it paying off.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Another terrible headline. Hopefully they land on their feet and I guess this means SE is publishing their games there again?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's fucked.

Reading the article, it was part of the 350 laid off worldwide.

AAA development is unsustainable.

Ubisoft has spent a decade perfecting it. EA was poorly managed and poorly diversified. Activision was close to falling into the same trap, relying too heavily on their yearly releases.