• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
www.twitch.tv

EasyAllies - Twitch

Easy Allies (EZA) is an independent group of experienced writers and video producers who love playing video games, analyzing the industry, and interacting with the community. Here on Twitch we're doing our best to stream a variety of great games almost every day of the week.

Tiltify - Made for Fundraisers

We give you the tools to engage with your donors and raise more for your charity

For a quick back story, during today's reaction stream for the PS5 event, Ian from EZA commented with, "Fuck JK Rowling" at the end of the Harry Potter trailer. A small number of very vocal people responded to this negatively. ("We come here to get away from politics," "What she said wasn't actually transphobic," etc.)

In response to that, tonight's regularly scheduled stream from Ian and Don has turned into a fundraiser to raise money for the Transgender Law Center. I think it is thread-worthy to hopefully boost the donations they receive.

Even if you aren't able to watch, if you can spare even a few bucks, please click the link above and do so. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Gonna donate. Was sad to see this game getting spotlight at Sony's conference, but that's business for you. Everyone should do their part to counteract the harm JKR is inflicting on trans folx and the danger of amplifying IP that benefits her financially.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Just Donated. Least I can do is match what the price is for that game. I feel so bad how she is ruining such a special world.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
blew right past their stretch goal.
Also the stream is straight busted lol, ian´s rebooting the pc, in case some one wonders if they´re off already.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
FYI
I got an Amazon PS5 pre order watching this stream
Its good luck
You should watch it too

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Damn I was straight up thinking about doing a charity stream of the worst Harry Potter games I could possibly find while listing off all the problematic things about the series as a response. Glad someone else is doing something similar lol.

Why in fuck would you play a transphobic game when raising money for trans people?

As a trans person myself, I imagine it's for the irony of it. From what I've heard it's a very good game for streams so I assume it's an attempt of making something positive out of something negative. Last I heard, weren't they patching out the transphobia in the game or something too?

EDIT: Nvm this game definitely has some issues.

Last edited:

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
People thought the channel that has their podcast usually ending with BLM and/or Free HK is where they can escape from politics ???????????

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was straight up thinking about doing a charity stream of the worst Harry Potter games I could possibly find while listing off all the problematic things about the series as a response. Glad someone else is doing something similar lol.

As a trans person myself, I imagine it's for the irony of it. From what I've heard it's a very good game for streams so I assume it's an attempt of making something positive out of something negative. Last I heard, weren't they patching out the transphobia in the game or something too?

They patched out some of the dead-naming, but it still has some very serious problems and inconsistencies in the script and generally the trans character in the game is not treated particularly respectfully. Also, it has some really racist stuff in it, too. It's not something that would be easily patched out, unfortunately, so I suspect a lot of it is still there. :\

They should play Tell Me Why instead.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll chip in a bit. Didn't JK Rowling just release a novel about a crossdressing serial killer or some shit? Chill out already. If you think trans women are men and vice versa I'm sorry but that's about as scientific as magic and wizards. Gender and sex are two different things. Facts don't care about your feelings.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
They patched out some of the dead-naming, but it still has some very serious problems and inconsistencies in the script and generally the trans character in the game is not treated particularly respectfully. Also, it has some really racist stuff in it, too. It's not something that would be easily patched out, unfortunately, so I suspect a lot of it is still there. :\

They should play Tell Me Why instead.

Wow, I had only lightly heard of the game. Sounds like a real mess knowing more about it now, I'll definitely steer clear. Also thanks for mentioning Tell Me Why, that reminds me that I need to check it out soon, game looks super unique and I love how it takes place in a respectful Alaska setting, something you don't get often in games.

I'll chip in a bit. Didn't JK Rowling just release a novel about a crossdressing serial killer or some shit? Chill out already. If you think trans women are men and vice versa I'm sorry but that's about as scientific as magic and wizards. Gender and sex are two different things. Facts don't care about your feelings.

Yup, she's currently(?) writing that I believe. I don't remember if it was fully released already or if previews just came out or something, but it's something she's responsible for either way.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Fuck yes I'm going to donate. I kinda didn't really followed them before but now they are my favorite games podcast next to KF.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Oh, yeah, for sure, it's just the second game has some deeply problematic transphobic elements to it. I trust they know that and that's part of the point but it's a surprising choice.

I believe chat requested it because the previous game wasn't working, as the old Deadly Premonition streams with Don and Ian were very fun. I don't think anyone really thought of that at the time.

But I think there's a pretty clear difference between what JK is doing (purposefully and actively attacking the trans community) and what happened with Deadly Premonition (something that came from ignorance and trying but failing at something, which the director apologized for and a patch was issued to try and correct one of the most problematic scenes).

These posts summed it up well, I thought.

Considering the point of the stream is to raise money to support the cause and they're about to hit $1,000 out of a $300 goal, I feel like we should focus on the good being done here. :)

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I believe chat requested it because the previous game wasn't working, as the old Deadly Premonition streams with Don and Ian were very fun. I don't think anyone really thought of that at the time.

But I think there's a pretty clear difference between what JK is doing (purposefully and actively attacking the trans community) and what happened with Deadly Premonition (something that came from ignorance and trying but failing at something, which the director apologized for and a patch was issued to try and correct one of the most problematic scenes).

These posts summed it up well, I thought.

Considering the point of the stream is to raise money to support the cause and they're about to hit $1,000 out of a $300 goal, I feel like we should focus on the good being done here. :)
I mean, racism, transphobia, xenophobia can all come not just from malice but ignorance as well. I don't think Swery meant to do harm, but he still did harm.

But yes, if I have to choose whether to channel anger and indignation between him and JK, I'm not going to waste energy on Swery. But I'm still pretty deeply disappointed at how DP2 played out.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Earlier today, during the Playstation 5 event, they showed a Harry Potter game and I said "F* JK Rowling" and a lot of people took issue with that. I agree that such colorful language isn't productive, I'm sorry for using it. It's not setting a good example, and it might make people think they have a pass to behave in a way that wouldn't be acceptable by our guidelines on our Twitch chat and I need to be a paragon of standing to those guidelines. Let me rephrase my "F* JK" sentiments into something more productive.

First off, to me the word "fuck" doesn't really carry a whole lot of weight, it's a throw away word and doesn't carry sexual connotations for me as I now realize it does for some others. I did not in any way mean to imply anything like that.

Secondly, I think that JK Rowling's behavior with regard to the trans community is unconscionable, unacceptable, disgusting, and ignorant. She has repeatedly quadrupled down on transphobia and refuses to budge, seemingly digging in even deeper. I think my ire was particularly piqued today because I recently learned that the villain of her new book is a "transvestite" which is an offensive and out-dated term for trans people or cross-dressers. Which is just…. I can't even. So while what I should have said was something more along the lines of "I can not in good conscience support this game due to JK's anti-trans rhetoric." or something less clinical sounding, I boiled over and swore at her.

I will say this though. Transphobes are not welcome with me. You're not welcome. I encourage you to open your eyes and to learn, but there isn't room for transphobic language or behavior in my purview. If you want to learn and have questions I can help, but if you just want to hate then I don't have time for that. At JK's first infraction I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but now she's clearly choosing dangerous and hateful rhetoric, and that's not something I can support. I've been content to discuss it in private and just not buy or support any of her stuff, but today I condensed my thoughts in an irresponsible way, and again I'm sorry for that as it's not helpful.

I don't hate JK, I don't know her. But her words and actions are dangerous to the trans community. A community that is disproportionately the victims of violence and abusive language. I haven't said much about it because a lot of people think I just put politics into everything anyways, but to me this isn't a political issue. Trans safety, just like the safety of black lives, isn't a political issue, it's a human issue. If any mention of a world event or group of people other than the majority seems political to you then I don't know what to tell you.

So I apologize for my unfortunate phrasing, but I do not apologize for being "too political" when what I'm trying to do is stand up against transphobia, racism, and bigotry. To me the notion of Love and Respect doesn't just mean being quiet and happy all the time and not standing up to wickedness. To me Love and Respect means standing up for what's right, and I didn't do that elegantly today, so I'm sorry for that, I'll be more precise in the future.

Ian

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

Ian's great.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
So wholesome that they decided to do this. Unfortunate choice of game though, but hey, they more then quadrupled their goal!
Love and Respect Ian and Don <3

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Don is heading out but Ian is switching to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2.

They're close to $1,500. If we could push them over that, it would be awesome.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Stream is ending in a little bit. Definitely crushed it as it's over $1,600 now and it seems like Era helped out a lot with that.

But if anyone wants to throw something towards it before the stream ends, go for it!