• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
EZA ERA Survey #36-37:

4endntu.png

Out of 233 responses

78 -- [33.5%] -- think the show is a must watch (5)
75 -- [32.2%] -- think the show is great (4)
44 -- [18.9%] -- think the show is so so (3)
16 -- [6.9%] -- think the show isn't so hot (2)
11 -- [4.7%] -- think the show is definitely not for them (1)
9 -- [3.9%] -- have never watched the show (0)

The results are scaringly similar to those of Game Sleuth: a combined 153 appreciate it, a combined 27 don't, 44 are lukewarm about it; exactly the same totals with 7 polled moved from the positive side of things to the negative one, and way less "must watch" picks, in favour of more "the show is great" ones. In fact Retros had the same problems of GS: too few of them and Deus Ex probably wasn't the most popular choice to bring back the show after GT's closure. In comparison to Game Sleuth, though, Retros have had and still have a few more issues that justify the slightly lower approval: they produced even less of them (two in two years), they were hit by several delays (spanning many months) and while GS has a pretty constant release schedule now, that of Retros is still nebulous. Also, Retros aren't as evergreen as GS, because new games are bound to be added to a series and the videos, while not becoming outdated, certainly end up being an incomplete look at the franchise. As I said for GS, these are still rather respectable results, especially given the circumstances of EZA: the scarce manpower, the time costraints and the necessarily lengthy production of the show.

t5WWEbU.png

The first five series are very good suggestions, and I wouldn't be surprised if EZA is working on one of them at the moment. First and foremost they're all beloved franchises for the Allies, secondly they are comprised of a rather low number of entries compared to some of the series proposed down the list, in third place they're all pretty relevant series, because they've either had a game coming out last year or this year. Right now Kingdom Hearts or God of War would make more business sense, the problem being that Huber and Brad just did full series playthroughs of both, and unless they were capturing footage throughout their streams, they'd have to replay them all again for the show's purpose (correct me if I'm wrong)! The problem with Persona is that even if there are only 5 games in the main series (technically 6), they are super long ones, and for Yakuza it's a "problem" of relative low popularity. Uncharted would be a crazy good fit: few games that are short on top of that, super popular franchise and relevant both for EZA and the fans alike.

If we go down just a bit, Dragon Quest, Mega Man, Fire Emblem, Pokémon and SMT are nigh impossible picks due to the frightening number of entries, Mass Effect would be doable, but after Andromeda people seem not to care about the series anymore, it would be the worst possible moment to do a Retro about it. Among the less popular picks, Shenmue and The Witcher could be interesting takes due to their relevance and the love EZA has for them, while Drakengard/NieR, Kill the Past and the Xeno "series" would be nice looks to franchises creating an expanded universe.

Among the invalid entries, aside from a long list of stuff they already produced (check the GT playlist for more), we have people who can't decide: "Half-Life, Splinter Cell, Mario 2D and 3D games"; "god of war and persona"; "Metroid, Castlevania"; "Monkey Island, Street Fighter, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe"; "Oddworld/Rayman"; "Persona/SMT"; "Rachet and Clank, Spider-Man, Everquest (including spinoffs like Champions of Norrath), Warcraft".

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I went back to see some Game Sleuth and wtf, the Ocarina Of time one has 660k views! I didnt know these were so popular. I knew people liked them but i thought it was within the EZA community.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I went back to see some Game Sleuth and wtf, the Ocarina Of time one has 660k views! I didnt know these were so popular. I knew people liked them but i thought it was within the EZA community.
Yeah it's that weird YouTube algorithm suddenly picking them up. They really weren't doing super well at all, then YouTube randomly decided to start recommending them to people. All the episodes skyrocketed, but Zelda and FF VII in particular.

EDIT - just looked up the numbers, and yeah, between Jun 2016 and Oct 2017, that episode did about 90K views, the other 570K have come since last October.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's that weird YouTube algorithm suddenly picking them up. They really weren't doing super well at all, then YouTube randomly decided to start recommending them to people. All the episodes skyrocketed, but Zelda and FF VII in particular.

EDIT - just looked up the numbers, and yeah, between Jun 2016 and Oct 2017, that episode did about 90K views, the other 570K have come since last October.
Crazy how Youtubes algoritm works. I guess its a good thing cause it brought new people to EZA. Weird though that some other vids dont get the same favor.. (Huber Syndrome for example). I guess it relies on strong keywords or something. Or maybe titles that are questions just get more clicks too

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I voted for Persona, but I might be the invalidated one who put "Persona/SMT", can't remember.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Persona, but I might be the invalidated one who put "Persona/SMT", can't remember.
I would've counted that, cause they're technically one big series, but there were already plenty of individual SMT and Persona votes, so I had to make the separation.

BTW - I thought of voting for KH, but then decided on GoW.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the weekend I'll share the results concerning the shows born later in year 1 and at the beginning of year 2 of EZA: Fiasconauts (+ favourite episode), Friend Code, Reaction Shots and Don't Skip.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I think I was one of the Tenchu votes. Only because I was playing Z at the time. I adore the series, but I'm not really sure it would make a great retro. A very complex history though; so many different developers and publishers over the years.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem has less games than Zelda (FE has 15 Zelda has 18 counting both Oracles as one and ignoring spin offs), and 3 of those are remakes. I think it's definitively doable, although harder now than in the GT days.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They struggled with "Souls", which had 5 only. I can't fathom how long Fire Emblem would take them.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
The Souls one wasn't just Brad and Jones? I imagine in the GT days a lot more people where involved, so maybe if more allies were to jump in... anyway, right now is definitively not the time for that.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't answer the retrospectives question, mostly because I'm off the mind that the resource investment isn't worth it particularly with how drawn out the delivery of episodes were. Fire Emblem is an interesting idea though would still engulf Jones or someone else for an age if Souls Retro is anything to go by

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the question was about what you'd like to see, not what's feasible to do. So anyone is entitled to say FE, Dragon Quest or Mega Man, just don't expect it to happen very soon.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Still think they should get people from the community to get footage of games for them, might speed things up

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I didn't know FE had 15 entries I thought it was like 7-8 O_o. Well guess that's that then.

Well, for the games that came out on the west it's only 8. For the record the games are:

FE1 - Shadow Dragon and the Sword of Light (JP only) - NES
FE2 - Gaiden (JP Only) - NES
FE3 - Mystery of the Emblem (JP Only and includes a remake of FE1) - SNES
FE4 - Genealogy of the Holy War (JP Only) - SNES
FE5 - Tharcia 776 (JP Only) - SNES
FE6 - The Binging Blade (JP Only) - GBA
FE7 - The Blazing Sword (Known as just "Fire Emblem" in the west) - GBA
FE8 - Sacred Strones - GBA
FE9 - Path of Radiance - GC
FE10 - Radiant Dawn - Wii
FE11 - Shadow Dragon (Remake of FE1) - DS
FE12 - New Mystery of the Emblem (JP Only, remake of FE3) - DS
FE13 - Awakening - 3DS
FE14 - Fates - 3DS
FE15 - Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Remake of FE2) - 3DS

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'd be excited for a Fire Emblem Retrospective showing up in multiple parts on the run up to the release of the new one hopefully by the end of the year.

Another one is Pokemon, which I don't believe I've seen?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I know the community's tastes tend to skew a little more towards the Japanese side of things, but I'd love to see them take a stab at a Western franchise, if only because it would open up a lot of opportunities for original content in the pieces. When you're dealing with Japanese devs, a lot of it comes down to comprehensively cataloging the work of others just because of the language barrier.

There's nothing wrong with that -- digging up obscure interviews, delving into art book tidbits, taking a critical eye to the dev process from a macro perspective is all well and good - but being able to actually engage developers personally for new and personal insight about a game or franchise's history Danny O'Dwyer/Noclip-style would really send the quality and general virality of these things through the roof.

Plus, I'm pretty sure they have the camera equipment for it now.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the community's tastes tend to skew a little more towards the Japanese side of things, but I'd love to see them take a stab at a Western franchise, if only because it would open up a lot of opportunities for original content in the pieces. When you're dealing with Japanese devs, a lot of it comes down to comprehensively cataloging the work of others just because of the language barrier.

There's nothing wrong with that -- digging up obscure interviews, delving into art book tidbits, taking a critical eye to the dev process from a macro perspective is all well and good - but being able to actually engage developers personally for new and personal insight about a game or franchise's history Danny O'Dwyer/Noclip-style would really send the quality and general virality of these things through the roof.

Plus, I'm pretty sure they have the camera equipment for it now.
So, Command & Conquer retrospective!

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I'd be excited for a Fire Emblem Retrospective showing up in multiple parts on the run up to the release of the new one hopefully by the end of the year.

Another one is Pokemon, which I don't believe I've seen?

I don't think any one of them has knowledge on Pokémon the way they do for KH, Souls, GoW, even Persona (including P1 and P2).

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer to see Retro effort put into Timelines again, it suits a more focused perspective on a game and would be condensed into a tighter runtime. At least for my own purposes, Timelines were the videos I was more inclined to watch and find fascination in.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather see a set of roundtable discussions about the pivotal games in a series with footage edited over top to the written retrospectives.

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the game right now (having never played the first one). Game Pass is great for being able to give games like this a go for a very low investment.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same here, despite some bugs (RIP Downtown, who was teleported 70 feet into their when getting out of a car) and the fact that I'm doing the same thing over and over again, there's a massive addictiveness to the core loop that has its claws in me.

I completed my first settlement and think I'll do my next one after some patches, but I'm playing Detroit and about every 5 minutes I get the pull of "Yeah, but what if I just started a new game now?".

WHAT IF I STARTED A NEW GAME NOW?! It's happening at some point over the weekend, I can't resist the pull.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's V4

1. Default garage era
2. VO Booth era
3. Angled garage era
4. 4k HDR era
I'd go with:
0. Folded chair era (the first podcast and group stream)
1. Couch era
2. Desk era
3. 4K era

The first five series are very good suggestions, and I wouldn't be surprised if EZA is working on one of them at the moment. First and foremost they're all beloved franchises for the Allies, secondly they are comprised of a rather low number of entries compared to some of the series proposed down the list, in third place they're all pretty relevant series, because they've either had a game coming out last year or this year. Right now Kingdom Hearts or God of War would make more business sense, the problem being that Huber and Brad just did full series playthroughs of both, and unless they were capturing footage throughout their streams, they'd have to replay them all again for the show's purpose (correct me if I'm wrong)! The problem with Persona is that even if there are only 5 games in the main series (technically 6), they are super long ones, and for Yakuza it's a "problem" of relative low popularity. Uncharted would be a crazy good fit: few games that are short on top of that, super popular franchise and relevant both for EZA and the fans alike.
I don't really see that being a problem with God of War, since up until GoW 2018 the longest GoW was only like 15 hours long. Even Kingdom Hearts is a million times easier than most of the other series mentioned, since they're fairly short for JRPGs (so long as you don't try to plat them all like I stupidly have...). I'm pretty sure you could finish the entire KH series in the time it took you to just finish Persona 5.

Regardless, whatever retro they do next should be fun. Thanks for doing the poll and results posts, Axass.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
My retrospective entry was invalid because I said Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. It wasn't out of indecisiveness, but rather that some of the older retros from GT covered every entry of a franchise including non-canon/spin-off games to a degree, which the Persona series technically is. It's the impossible dream anyway...the whole franchise is made up of such huge games that even if every ally pitched in with playing/capturing/writing it would take them way too much time to complete. You could speed it up by grabbing some NG+/max level saves, but that's its own learning experience depending on the console method required to load them. It's more feasible to reduce the scope of the project and choose one branch (likely Persona due to popularity) with some light coverage on the larger MegaTen universe. Who knows though, maybe with SMT V coming it might make sense to do a main series retro, but it would be so much work.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Kyle is seemingly quite knowledgable on Pokemon. Not to the degree some people are in PokeERA, but still.

Also, I love your username so much. In reference to the song right?
I think people look to Kyle to be the expert when it's actually that the rest knows little about the series. Other than Ben maybe.

And yeah, it is lol. Could not decide what I wanted and just picked the track I was listening to at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.