• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Alas, launches are less predictable than the Allies. Such is the risk with these predictions.
True.
To expand I'm not talking just the online login issues aka error 37. Also talking about the game itself. I still think the larger community of reviewers did a poor fucking job reviewing diablo 3 given almost non caught on how the loot system was broken in a game about loot. It's something that should have been something to easily catch during your hell run but a latest it should have become apparent in inferno which very evidently most of them haven't touched at that point.

Subjectivity in reviews and all but Diablo 3 for sure is the closest we get to the industry being objectively wrong given how the game turned out to actively not achieve stated design goals by the designers themselves. Which was to reduce farming the same boss over and over they wanted it to be champion packs except the balancing was so hot garbage people farmed talking to an act 4 npc instead that would sometimes drop a blue weapon with a high weapon dmg roll which was the only stat that mattered for dmg.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Ori 2- ok, so we'll see with bloodstained, right? They love castlevania and it's a metroidvania. That could win goty? Because I'll gladly make an Avatar bet for it not winning.
Where is hollow knight? Not goty as far as I remember.

Creed- like I said, if it's just odyssey reskinned, but prettier, then I don't see it. Regardless, this is just a rumour right now. Haven't seen a single screenshot. Need that before I pass judgement.

Watchdogs 3- same thing like ass creed. It's an iteration on watchdogs 2 and I don't think that set eza on fire.

Dyling light- it looks good for sure. But as goty? I don't see it.

Monsters--we'll see with this one. We know barely anything. I need more.

Regardless, these all have the potential to be on goty lists. Not sure if that's what you are arguing? Because I 100% agree.

I'm arguing that they won't win goty.
A goty game is something you remember for years. It's not "well I had fun driving in an open world and then I turned into a grandpa and I don't remember the rest".

Thats why it'll be tlou2, cyber, Mario, halo, Ff7, or some unannounced game.
I'll even cut ghost of tsushima off that list.

I'll even say I think the rocksteady game might get released in 2020 and have a chance.

Anyways, just what I think. We should probably be discussing goty 2019 lol.
That one is harder because legit nothing stands out too much.
Resident evil 2 and Sekiro I guess?

I think your massively underselling a lot of games and massively overselling a lot of others based on your own feelings but whatevs. If all of the allies had played hollowknight in 2017 it still probably wouldnt have won cause zelda but it would have been incredibly close.

This year has been pretty bland for me so far. I think my personal goty so far is apex. For the allies its harder to say but it they held a vote today I think RE2 would win.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
True.
To expand I'm not talking just the online login issues aka error 37. Also talking about the game itself. I still think the larger community of reviewers did a poor fucking job reviewing diablo 3 given almost non caught on how the loot system was broken in a game about loot. It's something that should have been something to easily catch during your hell run but a latest it should have become apparent in inferno which very evidently most of them haven't touched at that point.

Subjectivity in reviews and all but Diablo 3 for sure is the closest we get to the industry being objectively wrong given how the game turned out to actively not achieve stated design goals by the designers themselves. Which was to reduce farming the same boss over and over they wanted it to be champion packs except the balancing was so hot garbage people farmed talking to an act 4 npc instead that would sometimes drop a blue weapon with a high weapon dmg roll which was the only stat that mattered for dmg.

Oh, for sure. My pick of Diablo 4 was tongue in cheek and entirely based around the assumption that by 2022 Ben, Brad, Huber and Ian will be ready for the Blizzard redemption arc - if they aren't already - and very receptive to any game that has a whiff of the old quality.

But seriously speaking I have no faith Diablo 4 will be that game, even with the benefit of belonging to a genre where gamefeel is more rewarded in reviews than game balance.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GOTY 2020: TLOU2 > FFVII > Silksong > Cyberpunk

Y'all heard it here first

Undecided if Ori 2 will be better than Cyberpunk

Last edited:

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
They should also delete that save state. They're going to accidentally load that save state and be back all the way before the first gym.

Just forget the idea of save states, period. It'll do more harm than good and it's not fun anyway.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, they didn't save last time in Pokémon...
NU64qQ8.gif

Just saw the archive of the test stream.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They should also delete that save state. They're going to accidentally load that save state and be back all the way before the first gym.

Just forget the idea of save states, period. It'll do more harm than good and it's not fun anyway.
Agreed. Savestates are a bad idea and also take some of the fun out of it.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Sekiro is pretty much a lock for EZAs GotY this year me thinks with Death Stranding being the wild card.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Eh I agree on DS as a wildcard, but I'd be amazed if RE2 didn't otherwise take it.

I do see the final debate going down between those two but no way do I see RE2 beating out Sekiro among the allies.

Whose gonna vote for RE2? Huber is its biggest proponent and even he likes Sekiro just as much, if not more.

All this is an assumption at this point in time where we don't really know how much Death Stranding will shake up the gaming world.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
I do see the final debate going down between those two but no way do I see RE2 beating out Sekiro among the allies.

Whose gonna vote for RE2? Huber is its biggest proponent and even he likes Sekiro just as much, if not more.

All this is an assumption at this point in time where we don't really know how much Death Stranding will shake up the gaming world.

I think Jones and Damiani are locks on RE2. Again, barring DS. And if it's between RE and Sekiro I imagine Kyle and Blood would vote RE2 aswell at the least.

May 30, 2018
i cannot believe they managed to lose their save - that's kind of wild. i wish they were using mGBA instead of VisualBoyAdvance.

i emailed and heard back from Kyle (and hopefully soon Damiani) about fixing the overall stream audio compression artifacting. i hope i can help somehow. hearing the Gold and Silver music smushed this much is making me sad

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
That happened to me with Super Mario RPG. I used a save state because I had to leave in a middle of a battle (I think with Johnny? It was pretty early in the game), got back to it, just finished the Cloud Kingdom chapter using the in game save system, and then accidentally loaded the save state.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Wonder what weird wacky magical shenanigans will happen in future Pokemon streams. Kinda crazy run so far and only 3, sort of 2, episodes in.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder what weird wacky magical shenanigans will happen in future Pokemon streams. Kinda crazy run so far and only 3, sort of 2, episodes in.

Jones is gonna run into entei, raikou and suicune back to back to back and catch them all on his first try with a pokeball after kyle tells him not to bother throwing a ball because it never going to be that easy.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
I played Pokemon Crystal for almost 200 hours, and also played Pokemon Silver and Gold for at least 50 hours each, and haven't encountered a Shiny (except for the Gyarados). Unbelievable.

Oct 28, 2017
Shiny Pokémon don't really exist. It's just something a whole load of people who don't even know me have made up just to try and wind me up.

But it isn't working damn it!

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I have caught like 2 or 3 natural shinies, without manipulating the odds by chaining or breeding. But what felt like the unlikeliest catch of them all, wasn't one of those 1-out-of-8192 encounters. It was an Abra that showed up half-way through a Poke Radar hunt for Dittos and it was the only shiny I had met at that point and I was immediately put in a panic because Abras flee after one turn, so if the first ball didn't stick...

I later learned that with a Quick Ball like I used the success rate is 100% or pretty close to it, but I was a sweaty, nervous, giddy mess at the time.

I wonder if Kyle's opinion of Sword and Shield is going to turn around at all after the latest Farfetch'd reveal.

Farfetch'd evo was in one of the earlier, more reliable leaks. If Kyle followed those, and he probably did, he would have been aware of his favorite pokemon being knighted before he felt the need to vow not to talk negatively about Sword & Shield.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Three Houses is my goty right now, followed by Astral Chain.
Don't see anything coming out for the rest of the year that'd change that.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds is my GOTY. I know it stands no chance of winning amongst EZA or even people here on ERA, but no game this year has captivated me more. It's not perfect nor was I always in love with some of its more obtuse puzzles, but the overall sense of discovery is pretty unparalleled. Finally figuring out how to conquer a challenge that you once thought impossible, without getting any new powers or items, is pretty terrific.

Not for everyone, but definitely worth a shot if you love games like Myst or The Witness.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a close second though... I hope Brandon puts up a fight for that one to at least get SOMETHING. It deserves praise for being an absolute delight.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Control is my GotY so far. I always thought it looked kinda interesting but I was not expecting to love it as much as I do. It's not a lock, but it's my personal frontrunner for sure. Very sad to see it not chart at all in the NPDs, I hope it still performed up to / above expectations, I'd hate for it to be considered a disappointment for Remedy.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm not attached to any game in particular. Some years have games I want to fight for such as Celeste, The Witness, or Bloodborne.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, for me personally it was a pretty weak year for gaming. Crash Team Racing was the game I had the most fun with, I guess. Followed by Tetris 99.

Status
Not open for further replies.