• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I've played both Anthem and CD3 for 10+ hours each.

Edge got the scores the wrong way around.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What are the biggest takeaways?

+ Positive
  • Looks really good and is a technical feat

- Negative
  • AI is braindead (lol) and doesn't pose a threat
  • Motorcycle is sluggish
  • Didn't get to take on a large horde during their preview and felt players would get bored if they didn't showcase the game's — in their words —single unique aspect right out of the gate
  • Unremarkable, full of ideas that have been done to death; like it came straight out of 2013 with grizzled dudes in caps and wife fridging
  • Promised depth with systems-driven mechanics were nowhere to be found
  • Feels like an afterthought

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish
  • Didn't get to take on a large horde during their preview and felt players would get bored if they didn't showcase the game's — in their words —single unique aspect right out of the gate
  • Unremarkable, full of ideas that have been done to death; like it came straight out of 2013 with grizzled dudes in caps and wife fridging
Sounds like a 5-6 for them, lowering my prediction to 73.

OP
OP
Zem

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah they shit on Days Gone. The horde being reduced to set pieces is pretty bad though if that turns out to be the case. It's what the game is built around.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish

Well yeah that's pretty scathing alright.

That 3rd bullet point is pretty much exactly the same as what GB said too, and was also echoed by others. I don't get why they would have such a massive preview event and as Edge quite rightly point out here not have the USP be playable at all during it. Especially when it was the first thing they showed off of the game so long ago now.

Oct 25, 2017
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish
Thanks for that.

Welp, considering Edge weighs quite a bit, looks like the meta is gonna take a decent hit.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish
Did they say anything about fluidity of movement and gunplay? I don't mind the game being a generic open world game, and i kinda expected the hordes to be a set piece as it's the gimmick of the game.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish

I had to lower my lifetime sales expectations from 7 million to 4 million.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Did they say anything about fluidity of movement and gunplay? I don't mind the game being a generic open world game, and i kinda expected the hordes to be a set piece as it's the gimmick of the game.

No, they don't touch on the gunplay or movement outside of noting how the shooting controls awkwardly change from R2 to R1 when you're on your motorbike, and accuracy is dependent on ability upgrades.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Just got the magazine, that DOA6 review is the worst I've read in Edge in a long time. Barely any talk about the gameplay.
The review ends up on "What used to be a decent fighting game with comical breast physics is now a pervier DOA Xtreme with punches instead of present. Honestly, we're getting a bit old for it, and so is the industy for it", which really makes me wonder if they even played the game.
I'm glad that was the last issue in my subscription.

Bonus bit from the DMCV review:
"Nico's a relic, if not in her sexualisation then in the fact she always has a fag on the go. She has her moments, though"

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the magazine, that DOA6 review is the worst I've read in Edge in a long time. Barely any talk about the gameplay.
The review ends up on "What used to be a decent fighting game with comical breast physics is now a pervier DOA Xtreme with punches instead of present. Honestly, we're getting a bit old for it, and so is the industy for it", which really makes me wonder if they even played the game.
I'm glad that was the last issue in my subscription.

Bonus bit from the DMCV review:
"Nico's a relic, if not in her sexualisation then in the fact she always has a fag on the go. She has her moments, though"
Uh...what

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Anthem - 4
DMC5 - 9
Crackdown 3 - 5
The Occupation - 6
Trials Rising - 8
Far Cry New Dawn - 6
Dead or Alive 6 - 5
Hypnospace Outlaw - 8
Devotion - 9

Time Extend - Dragon Quest 9
Making of Frozen Synapse 2

Main article is on ThatGameCompany
Anthem a 4 and Crackdown 3 with a low but higher rated 5?
Yeah i can't them serious.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Hope the story of Days Gone and the final game will save it from harsh reviews

*still hope*

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of previews point toward Days Gone getting positive reception. There will of course be others that mark it more negatively. I don't think the harsher ones should invalidate the majority opinion though.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Resetera get to do official scoring of games?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The majority of previews point toward Days Gone getting positive reception. There will of course be others that mark it more negatively. I don't think the harsher ones should invalidate the majority opinion though.

People will read what they want/need out of the previews. You tend to lean more to the voices that confirm your own predispositions.

With that said, I do think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed with Days Gone.

Oct 25, 2017
People will read what they want/need out of the previews. You tend to lean more to the voices that confirm your own predispositions.

With that said, I do think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed with Days Gone.
Sure, that doesn't go against my claim of the previews mostly being positive though.

Era folk, yeah, that is possible. I think it will be surprisingly decent for some.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish
  • Promised depth with were nowhere to be found
This is not exactly a reflection of the final game though.

The "horde" and "systems-driven mechanics" are absolutely in the game and it's sad that EDGE didn't experience them during their demo. Other outlets have said the Motorcycle feels amazing, and we know for a fact that there are ideas in the game that are haven't been "done to death" even if there are aspects that have. Most previewers were more positive on the demo, so I don't think this game will have a problem, but EDGE will still probably give it a 6.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
+ Positive

- Negative
  • Motorcycle is sluggish
It is weird they seem to be the only ones to have picked up on the motorcycle being sluggish.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the Edge preview too. I'd say there is a huge caveat in that the previewer did think the game looked promising when first shown but it wasn't apparent in the demo. So if it was just a bad demonstration they shouldn't be as harsh.

But I think we all knew that if they don't get the horde or the survival mechanics/resource management right then there isn't much to hold the game together.

Also, doesn't his wife get out alive in the last trailer?

Oct 25, 2017
I read the Edge preview too. I'd say there is a huge caveat in that the previewer did think the game looked promising when first shown but it wasn't apparent in the demo. So if it was just a bad demonstration they shouldn't be as harsh.

But I think we all knew that if they don't get the horde or the survival mechanics/resource management right then there isn't much to hold the game together.

Also, doesn't his wife get out alive in the last trailer?
Everybody kinda assumed she's dead but that story trailer kinda spoils/hints she's probably not

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Didn't know "fag" means cigarette uh, i'm not a native english speaker but still.

Yeah Brits are funny. I was dating a girl from the UK and I was teasing her about something silly, and she said something like "are you taking the piss" or something I can't remember.

and I was like uh, wut.

But yeah, fag means a singular cigarette. It threw me off the first time I heard it too.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Brits are funny. I was dating a girl from the UK and I was teasing her about something silly, and she said something like "are you taking the piss" or something I can't remember.

Wait is this not like a common phrase where you're from because I didn't think it was a UK thing. Or maybe I am just overly exposed to that phrase and lack perspective as a result.

I'm tempted to use this phrase to describe this very situation. Ironic.

But yeah I don't use that word to describe smoking/cigarettes even though it's very common. I'd like to think it's outdated but I dunno.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Great score for DMCV!!
A little bummed with the DoA6 one, it is really fun imo, even though the story mode could have been way better.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Wait is this not like a common phrase where you're from because I didn't think it was a UK thing. Or maybe I am just overly exposed to that phrase and lack perspective as a result.

I'm tempted to use this phrase to describe this very situation. Ironic.

But yeah I don't use that word to describe smoking/cigarettes even though it's very common. I'd like to think it's outdated but I dunno.

No one is going to stop saying fag, as in a cigarette, in the UK. lol

It's part of the culture and commonly used (seriously, does anyone over here actually say cigarette in normal conversation?). Using it to describe someone as gay is just bizarre to me.

Happy to see DMCV do well after such a long absence. Anthem might dip below the 60 mark on MC now?

Edit: I'm way behind the times, Anthem is a 55!

Last edited:

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

and I was like uh, wut.

But yeah, fag means a singular cigarette. It threw me off the first time I heard it too.
That seems like a pretty common phrase to me, and I'm not even British.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
They gave both Bayonetta games 10? I feel like they should be 9s. The first loses a point for the QTEs; the second for the slightly less finely-tuned combat.

Honestly, Devil May Cry V deserves a perfect 10. It does everything it wants to do absolutely flawlessly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That 4 is about right for Anthem in its current state if you use the entire scale and compare it to other GaaS loot shooters.

The game is a shallow, broken, awkward mess.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Wow glad to see them review Anthem for what it is, and not what it possibly could be later maybe in the future after patches from Bioware "listening to its fans."

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Considering 5 is supposed to mean the 'average' 7 for them, it seems Edge went easy on both Anthem and Crackdown. Then again their scoring has no consistency so I'm not surprised.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Considering 5 is supposed to mean the 'average' 7 for them, it seems Edge went easy on both Anthem and Crackdown. Then again their scoring has no consistency so I'm not surprised.
I haven't played Anthem, but Crackdown is a solid 7 to me so it's score is where I'd expect it to be by Edge.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the privileges to make a new thread. So here we go.

EDGE 332 reviews :

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 9
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - 8
Yoshi's Crafted World - 8
Generation Zero - 5
The Walking Dead: The Final Season - 7
Dangerous Driving - 6
Heaven's Vault - 8
Baba Is You - 9
Jupiter & Mars - 6