RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm not sure listing game pass as Xbox top 3 is a way to praise the service or criticise xbox's thin lineup...

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it deserve to be in THEIR top 10 when it literally wasn't one of the top 10 games of the year they enjoyed?

I enjoyed it well enough but honestly I haven't played every game on every top 10 list, and I could easily see it getting pushed out.
Because some people can look at a game objectively even if they didn't like it and realize maybe it belongs there? It's like certain people from Giant Bomb agreeing that while a certain game might not have done much for them they can see why it should be ranked a certain spot.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because some people can look at a game objectively even if they didn't like it and realize maybe it belongs there? It's like certain people from Giant Bomb agreeing that while a certain game might not have done much for them they can see why it should be ranked a certain spot.
It sounds to me like certain people really should look at the game more objectively then :)

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mh9q8em25h1rur0aro1_1280.jpg

;)

Not even that. Why isnt God of War in the top 10?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
GoW not even in the top 10... Like the game that is most loved this year and you can't find a spot for it even at number 10 *_*. Does the entire staff at Edge really hate the game that much?

The media loves GoW more than RDR2 actually (53vs44 GOTY).
Lol not being in the top ten must mean they hate the game.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Why does it deserve to be in THEIR top 10 when it literally wasn't one of the top 10 games of the year they enjoyed?

I enjoyed it well enough but honestly I haven't played every game on every top 10 list, and I could easily see it getting pushed out.
Well is this list based on their enjoyment? So this makes their list useless, it's like I didn't enjoy this game so it's a bad game!
Nothing criticism

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Good lists, but I'm not a fan of giving PSVR the top 'technology' of the year. It's not new tech; it's been out for a while now. Just because some amazing games have released on it doesn't make it suddenly 'new'. It's like awarding the PS4 best tech because I can play God of War on it.

The Xbox Adaptive Controller is probably the best thing Microsoft has done in a long while (including Game Pass), and it deserves all the kudos it can get.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even that. Why isnt God of War in the top 10?
Because for some reason Edge decides their top 10 list is based on review scores I guess. They got to include all the games that got a 9/10. Can't say a lot of other places follow the logic that whatever game got a higher review score is what goes on the list. It's why lower scored games beat out higher rated ones quite frequently.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well is this list based on their enjoyment? So this makes their list useless, it's like I didn't enjoy this game so it's a bad game!
Nothing criticism

Holy cow.

Like how can you be like this.

How.

FYI they do like it- at least the person who reviewed it did. It got an 8!

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying their list is validating anything, i'm just saying God of War deserved to be on their top 10.
Someone says it's an overrated game and i'm saying it deserved to be on their top 10.
It's my opinion.
What? How can your opinion influence another one's top ten? How do you come to the conclusion it deserves to be in their top ten? Which reasoning is behind that?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No problems with edge at all. I would put God of war in the top ten personally. Thus is edges top ten though so all good :)

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing criticism
Lol so you literally don't understand that reception for how good game mechanics are is subjective?

Like you literally don't understand the most basic concept of reviewing a piece of entertainment media?
You sound like a child that's upset that the world doesn't conform to their whims
Pretty much exactly this.
Because for some reason Edge decides their top 10 list is based on review scores I guess. They got to include all the games that got a 9/10. Can't say a lot of other places follow the logic that whatever game got a higher review score is what goes on the list. It's why lower scored games beat out higher rated ones quite frequently.
So now you're saying that lower scoring games should get game of the year (even though inconstancy in scores was something you are complaining about in the review thread?)

What even is thread lol. It's amazing how some people can't get over the fact that some people weren't completely blown away by a game that takes mechanics from multiple other games! And it's not even like it got a bad score lol.

Everyone not giving it a ten, calls it goty or even gotg is apparently not a good boi.
Apparently lol. It's just so ridiculous, you don't see me literally calling people wrong left and right for not including my GOTY on their list XD

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their top ten of the year is the nearly identical to mine, reordered, with Artifact swapped in and RDR2 and Hollow Knight swapped out.

Their "Living Game" category is a bit of a joke per usual. They have really good PC coverage in the magazine, but the staff's hobby games are fuddy dudy grindfests or tween shooters ever since SFIV died off. I see the same issue with their "Long Game" feature in the back of the mag each month. Totally wasted opportunity and way too console-centric.

Also baffled by the Epic choice. They killed UT and reintroducted GFWL-style third-party exclusivity back into the PC space this year. But their battle royale game that's a 1:1 copy of PUBG with funny dances is making a lot of money soooo... go Epic, I guess?

Plum

May 31, 2018

"Editor, here's the final draft of our 2018 GOTY Article!"

"Great! Just one problem, God of War isn't on there when clearly it should be!"

"But we gave it a lower score than any of the games on this list and have determined that we personally don't feel it belongs there."

"Ridiculous! Put it there, it needs to be there!"

"But why?"

"You're fired!"

Damn Edge baiting me into clicking on them in my local supermarket magazine rack.

To be fair that's what most of the gossip rags are, so "clickbait in magazine form" does exist lol

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's a pretty edgy list. Xbox having sea of thieves and gamepass listed in their top 3 just sums up their year.

2 of the 3 on ps4 being psvr just shows how essential that's becoming although if there was a non vr ps4 list it would still be great.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"But we gave it a lower score than any of the games on this list and have determined that we personally don't feel it belongs there."

"But why?"

"You're fired!"
If in 2019 they give the award to Crackdown, this forum will just implode with all references to it, forever 😂 (it will of course not happen but I'd like to see watch it here just before the big bang moment)

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now you're saying that lower scoring games should get game of the year (even though inconstancy in scores was something you are complaining about in the review thread?)
Considering a game like RDR2 has a 97 and was rated higher than any other game this year yet is not #1 in the majority of places right now speaks to exactly what I'm saying. A review is one person's opinion. A site might put RDR2 at #8 if other people from there didn't enjoy it as much as the person who gave it the 10/10. So according to you if a game gets a better score than another game from one person than that means it's factually better? That shouldn't be how things are decided. If that's how they want to run their outlet though more power to them.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Considering a game like RDR2 has a 97 and was rated higher than any other game this year yet is not #1 in the majority of places right now speaks to exactly what I'm saying. A review is one person's opinion. A site might put RDR2 at #8 if other people from there didn't enjoy it as much as the person who gave it the 10/10. So according to you if a game gets a better score than another game from one person than that means it's factually better? That shouldn't be how things are decided. If that's how they want to run their outlet though more power to them.

Why are we using Metacritic, a review aggregate site, to determine how individual publications should behave? You argue that people are giving God of War GOTY despite them reviewing it lower than RDR2 yet have given no examples of anyone doing just that; the truth of the matter is that a lot of review outlets gave both games a 10/10 and simply chose which one they preferred.

Similarly GOTY awards aren't a "factual" thing at all, they're literally just the opinions of that review outlet or person.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want you to quote exactly where I said the bold part please!

Because I've been pointing out that reviews is one person's opinion. And therefore if they scored one game lower than another, that game will be lower on their list for GOTY. It's not exactly rocket science.

The only people I've seen trying to push opinions as fact and as objective has been you and other posters complaining about GOW not being on there, at which point I turned it around to demonstrate how ridiculous it sounds.

benny

Oct 26, 2017

"But why?"

"You're fired!"
There is nothing weird about that aspect. This forum usually loves to point out how "it's just an individual's opinion, you can't shit on the whole outlet for one person's opinion."

So why can't the corollary of that, the outlet's consensus pick at the end of the year, be used in a discussion?

I get it, you want to shit on the guy because he made a poor post and egging on one poster is what constitutes for the lulz on here, but don't be stupid yourself.
Plenty of outlet's have ignored 10/10s they've given out at the end of the year. Gamespot and Bayonetta 2 come to mind or Giant Bomb, which is very popular on here, had (back when they used to do reviews) Brad give out lots of 5 Star reviews of games that never even entered the conversation of being the best in that year.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bro, why do you care so much, why is your entire recent post history about GoW/GotY lol.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Im gonna break this down as best as i can. Majority of people from EDGE publication who played God of War 2018 thought it was not as good as the other 10 games they played. Therefore God of war 2018 is not in their EDGE game of the year list .

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight came out in 2017 why is it in this list taking GOW or Celeste's rightful spot!!?? My whole year is RUINED.

For real though why is Hollow Knight a 2018 game? Edge isn't some console-only magazine.