• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
At this point it's old news. The game has reviewed extremely well from nearly all reviewers and sold over 5 million in a week, it's awesome and a massive success, Edge's review changes nothing.

It's their opinion at the end of the day, not everybody loves awesome games, it doesn't stop me absolutely loving the game and picking it as my GOTY.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
The review mentions that the best gameplay moments were the ones in closed spaces and rooms allowing you to tackle multiple enemies at once and that's when the game shines, as opposed to big open environments
Those were moments I couldn't stand the most. Stuffing you in a small space with enemies that are swarming you and trying to deal with that terrible close up camera. The open arenas were actually fun

Yzec

Dec 11, 2019
Belgium
I kinda like that edge dares to use more of the 10 point scale, just feels weird when they're one of the only outlets that seems to do that in video games. I do have some questions about the review going out from OP's words. 'Too MANY mini bosses' seems like a really weird complaint especially after how much variety the game has compared to 2018. Also saying the gameplay shines when you have to battlr many enemies is like the complete opposite of my opinion, Inthink the combat really shines in those epic 1 on 1 bossbattles due to the camera mostly making multiple enemies a hassle.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, don't care about the score but this sounds like all the issues I had with GOW 2018 are still present in this. I was hoping for this to be my main Christmas game but I'm not sure anymore.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much matches what ive been feeling playing it. Between this and Horizon 2, been some really big misses from Sony first party lately. Boring design, samey gameplay and bad, obnoxious writing all around in these games. Though id at least put GoW above the latter due to the combat occasionally.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
jason-momoa-chair.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Not surprised, I believe the game is magnificent but I can see some design decisions affecting some people, I mean, I've read them.

Weird that they enjoyed fighting multiples enemies while most people that didn't enjoy the game very much complained about that exact thing.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can see that. The overall package elevates it for me.

Though if Edge rates Pokemon Scarlet/Violet higher then 6, oh boy. There's gonna be carnage.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a thread where everyone comes out agreeing to feel edgy?
Pun intended

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
Did not expect that. Was assuming an 8. I always agree with Edge, they got it right on all big titles for me. Will be a fascinating thread.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it's over.

i can't like the game now anymore because someone has a different opinion on it.

Kline

AVALANCHE
Sep 15, 2022
It's just one review score, why is such a big deal being made about it?

That said, I agree with their conclusions and can't fault the score. Gutsy but fair.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You didn't find the "quickly brewed DLC" line, unreasonable?

Everyone is welcome to their own perspective and opinion. What I experienced as an incredibly ambitious and compelling follow-up to one of my favorite games last generation might simply not appeal to someone else. That's okay. Even if they feel the need to take a swipe at the game with whatever dismissive language they want to use, that's entirely their prerogative. I'm not sure any subjective assessment can be "unreasonable", exactly, even though it may well fail to resonate with an audience.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
My personal score of Ragnarok is 7. Kinda let down after great GOW 2018. 6 or 7 from EDGE was expected by their scoring system.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Yea.. this.

It's their opinion, but I never understand their scores.

You have to read the review
Don't really know why Edge is put up on such a pedastal on this forum, i think i don't know a single writer that works for them and they also seemingly never get mentioned it's always the entity Edge.

That said, i can see that score for sure. I liked the Game more than that but it's an uneven experience that always implies and dabbles in interesting things but then never fully commits.

You never heard of the writers probably because they don't do traditional by lines to reviews. It's presented as the review by Edge. I mean, those people are known of course and all to those who know who they are, but that's probably why you don't know any specific names

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I feel like reviews should show the scores they gave other games along side so you can gauge if you align with the reviewer or not.

For example, Halo Infinite imo is pretty trash outside its shooting mechanics, but I know people would say it's a "9". Or Forza Horizon 5 is a "10", but it's very same-y as previous games in the series imo and didn't do much to improve on the formula.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i think a cool thing about edge is because they're print/paid only, you can't really blame them to give out bad scores to increase traffic to their site. Nobody will buy their magazine because they're outraged about a low score.

Status
Not open for further replies.