• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kartul7

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
to explain my "this is not a 5" comment made earlier -
if you look at the average review score from Edge, a 5 is below average by quite a bit - average Edge review score is 6.5. Sure, in a vacuum, 5 is a 5 and subjective scoring is indeed allowed, but to say that the game is below average is just weird for me. it's an audiovisual treat, if nothing else. the 5 only makes sense if you agree that the game is worse than the majority of the games out there. is detroit worse than the majority of the games out there?

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
It was an interesting read, talking about the conception of the game. I wasn't too interested before but now I'm keen to see where it goes.

Seems like you can play the whole game without the TTL aspect too.

The back cover is a beautiful bright luminescent orange with a picture of a Starlink ship on it. Proper eye catching - a shame it's hidden at the back.

Reviews seem on point as usual.

I feel like Ubisoft need to make this a lot clearer before release. I'm still not 100% sure how this works.
I feel it'll put off a lot of people if they need they need to buy toys to play it.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
to explain my "this is not a 5" comment made earlier -
if you look at the average review score from Edge, a 5 is below average by quite a bit - average Edge review score is 6.5. Sure, in a vacuum, 5 is a 5 and subjective scoring is indeed allowed, but to say that the game is below average is just weird for me. it's an audiovisual treat, if nothing else. the 5 only makes sense if you agree that the game is worse than the majority of the games out there. is detroit worse than the majority of the games out there?

But EDGE don't review the majority of games out there. A typical month they review what, maybe 10-15 games? It makes perfect sense that their average review score would be higher than 5 because they tend to review higher profile or higher quality games. They generally don't waste their time reviewing shovelware or lots of the rubbish that comes out on the digital stores, for example. If they did then their average score would be much much lower.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Ubisoft need to make this a lot clearer before release. I'm still not 100% sure how this works.
I feel it'll put off a lot of people if they need they need to buy toys to play it.

It'll work like the other toy based games, there will be enough in the box to complete the campaign but side-missions/optional challenges will need a specific McGuffin to be unlocked.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A game that leans so heavily on it's writing is bound to be divisive. I don't see a problem with this review.
Fortunately a lot of people seem to really love the game.

Dec 2, 2017
I bought the issue and the Detroit review is really written, completely agree with it. Few choice quotes

'David Cage has never been a model of subtlety, but here he wields allegory with a similar grace and lightness of touch to which leatherface uses power tools'

'Far be it for us to suggest a developer shouldn't approach provocative subject material, but on this evidence perhaps Quantic Dream isn't quite the studio to do it justice'

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
So State of Decay 2 received a below average score. Damn, what were the complaints?
Bugs and lack of tutorial? Guess work.

It's a savage score. Even at it's most annoying it's a good game and when it works it's a genuinely tense, deep experience with a wickedly addictive gameplay loop. I never played the first so it's a unique game for me. One of my faves of the year so far.

Dec 2, 2017
The review says (For SOD)

'From a technical standpoint, State of Decay 2 is a shambling mess of a survival game that constantly trips over its own feet. It remains as ugly to behold as it is clumsy to play, and even the arrival of a hefty patch halfway through the review process does little to dispel our thoughts that this might be the most rickety, rough edged game published by a major platform holder in living memory'

Some comments on the ten-point scale, which were responses from elsewhere. I was bullied on here for pointing out that Metroid: Other M was a fine game that had a positive critical reception.

Here is the ten-point scale: 1 = Terrible, 2 = Very Poor, 3 = Poor, 4 = Below Average, 5 = Average, 6 = Good, 7 = Very Good, 8 = Excellent, 9 = Outstanding, 10 = Perfection. Ultimately, it's a question of preference, but that's the full ten-point scale. To my mind, for a game to fall between 1-3, it must fail in (almost) every way possible (the mechanics aren't engaging, the controls are extremely sluggish or unresponsive, and the performance makes it unplayable (I don't mean a few frame drops here and there, or whatever the wildly inconsistent, tech-illiterate Know Nothings at DF ramble about on their site)). It's quite rare for games to fall into that position; In most cases, they're just not fun for the reviewer. Some are praised for their story, but they aren't fun to PLAY. Sometimes "story" gets in the way of the gameplay. Sometimes reviewers fall into the trap of reviewing the story, and not the art of gameplay or thought for engaging with the ideas presented. It's just "pressing a button", and in an age of "cinematics", I find it lamentable that that element appears to have become a passive act.

Party games, for example, don't typically score highly in gaming publications, but they often function well, and it's not always understood that others might enjoy them whether for long periods, or in bursts. They sell well, and development houses continue to make them. We don't know if the reviewer played them with their friends, and if they did, we rarely get much idea of how the group felt during and after the event. They aren't seen as "cool". They aren't valued in the same way as other games. "1-2 Switch should've been bundled!!" is a common cry I hear on many a message board and social media platform. Most people who ragged on a Wii Fit or a Zumba Fitness never went to a Pilates, yoga, Body Balance or Zumba/Dance class in their lives (I do all of those most weeks, and while I sometimes look a bit silly, they're fucking ace). So, these games hardly ever score higher than a 6. It's clear that for many reviewers, the higher end of the ten-point scale can't apply because they know their readership will think "What, an 8!? It's in the same bracket as (Insert widely-praised AAA title here)!?". Clearly, people do enjoy them, and an audience exists, but if they see that the reviews place most of them in the 1-6 bracket, what can they take from them? How can those scores be reconciled with their actual experiences? Maybe, just maybe, it's possible to find something good in a game that scores a 4 (below average). The good parts can be retained and improved, and the other parts polished in a future entry or different project for better results. There's always something to appreciate, even if it's not for you personally. I really don't know how anybody can, in good faith, dispute what is being said here, tbqh.

Why the ten-point scale should be used in its fullest capacity, if you're using one for your publication.

I clearly proceeded to define what the full ten-point scale is. It makes sense because when something falls into that lower end, you will be able to have a greater clarity as to why. Each number can be defined, and in the context of a review with such a scale, all of those points are mighty fucking important. I didn't make anything up. What's made up is the BS idea that reviews start from 6, and calling it a "ten-point scale" - Hell, Edge Magazine uses what I described to this day (they gave it an 8, by the way). What you described might as well be called the Gaming Participation Award Scale, because it's not a ten-point scale if you're not using it in its fullest capacity.

I was accused of being disingenuous. So, I went to Edge Magazine's Wikipedia page for receipts. As you can see, the ten-point scale above is similar to theirs.

Disingenous? Moi!? The ten-point scale "doesn't work", you say? Of course it wouldn't, if you're starting from 5 or 6, and ending at 10!!!! You're. Not. Using. Ten. Points. Apart from it becoming harder to distinguish between the good and great at the higher end, it gets problematic when one tries to distinguish between the below average and the terrible. We can't determine what redeeming features there may be, if any. Here is a link to Edge Magazine on Wikipedia.

Edge Magazine said:
Edge scores games on a ten-point scale, from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 10, with five as ostensibly the average rating. For much of the magazine's run, the magazine's review policy stated that the scores broadly correspond to one of the following "sentiments":

1 - Disastrous

2 - Appalling

3 - Severely Flawed

4 - Disappointing

5 - Average

6 - Competent

7 - Distinguished

8 - Excellent

9 - Astounding

10 - Revolutionary.

According to Edge Magazine, a 4 is "disappointing". "Disappointing" does NOT mean "no redeeming elements", or that nothing can be appreciated there. In that same link, you can also count on one hand the number of games that scored a 1. This is consistent with my earlier statement that for a game to fall between 1-3, it has to fail in (almost) every way possible.

Edge isn't "being edgy". They're accused of "Nintendo bias", or "British studio bias" by the most toxic of PS fans. Not long ago, an Edge thread was shut down because some people couldn't get over the fact that God Of War was rated 8/Excellent while Sea Of Thieves was rated Distinguished/Very Good/7. The same publication gave perfect scores to Little Big Planet, The Last Of Us and Bloodborne, while Horizon: Zero Dawn and LBP2 received a 9. I strongly suspect that Dreams will get a 9, if not a perfect score, too - When a game features heavily before release in their publication, it's usually a sign that it's rather special. I hope that members will read these posts and have a better understanding of the ten-point scale.

Last edited:

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
edge322huoj8.jpg

Courtesy of Mr Do 71 (rllmuk forum)

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
There's something really gratifying about the way Detroit has gone on to be such a big success and garnered a great following. It's also really cool to see actors like Bryan Dechart become a fan favourite and attract a huge social media following.

Reviews are personal opinions, but there's no doubt in mind a handful of games journalists tried to torpedo Detroit for reasons other than the quality of the game. As such you just shrug your shoulders at such scores and take satisfaction at how Detroit found its audience.

I wouldnt normally agree with this except there are a lot of mentions of the guy's name in the overly negative reviews, which seems oddly personal. One even called him stupid, lol. I mean how many other developers got mentioned by name in this issue's reviews?